PDA

View Full Version : Leon

Porem
02-21-2006, 11:02 PM
I have beaten this game 1 and a half times so far (beat it right when it came out, got 100% everything, now beating again because I am so excited for KH2) but something has been bothering me.
Why does Squall insist on being called Leon. I have played and beaten tons of final fantasys but I never liked FF8 so I never finished it, does it originate in something from that game? I would just like to know as this has always bothered me, if anyone does know.
Thanks.

TheAbominatrix
02-21-2006, 11:05 PM
It comes from his last name, Leonheart. In the Kingdom Hearts universe, he has failed someone or a lot of someones, and thus does not want to be called by his real name.

Hambone
02-21-2006, 11:43 PM
It comes from his last name, Leonheart. In the Kingdom Hearts universe, he has failed someone or a lot of someones, and thus does not want to be called by his real name.
Stole the words right from my fingers.

Porem
02-21-2006, 11:59 PM
Heh thanks guys, I was always under the impression that his name was Lionheart as opposed to Leonheart since thats the name of the Keyblade and the thing in FF8.

TheAbominatrix
02-22-2006, 12:03 AM
Lionheart is the name of one of his attacks (whatever the Limit Breaks are called in VIII, I cant remember). It's a tad confusing.

Skyblade
02-22-2006, 01:02 AM
Lionheart is the name of one of his attacks (whatever the Limit Breaks are called in VIII, I cant remember). It's a tad confusing.

They're called "Limit Breaks" in VIII.

Not much more confusing than the Ultima Weapon/Ultimate WEAPON stuff from VII.

JackNapier
02-22-2006, 01:37 AM
He also has a lion pendant hanging around his neck. Maybe Leonhart was a typo and they decided to stick with it.

Marluxiaswife
02-22-2006, 11:11 PM
I don't mind calling him Squall or Leon :love:

_yeojina_
02-23-2006, 09:35 AM
If it was Squall Leonhart in VIII, then is it Leon Squallhart in Kingdom Hearts? Just wondering.

TheAbominatrix
02-23-2006, 10:19 AM
His name in the Kingdom Hearts universe is Squall Leonheart, same as in the VIII universe. He simply insists on being called Leon.

Rhi
02-23-2006, 05:01 PM
he doesn't want to be attatched to whatever mistake/failure happened, so he 'changed' his name, by insisting on eing called Leon rather than Squall. also, in Kingdom Hearts near the beginning of the game, Yuffie calls him Squall, to which he replies 'it's Leon'

so he hasn't changed his name really

leader of mortals
02-26-2006, 03:30 PM
squall didn't save his destroyed world so he was discusted with himself and then he insisted on being called leon.

IceAngel
02-28-2006, 11:04 PM
Maybe we will find out in KH2 as he is in that aswell...

KH-Cloudy
03-01-2006, 03:42 AM
squall didn't save his destroyed world so he was discusted with himself and then he insisted on being called leon.
exactly what i was gonna type...am i late?err nevermind im not late:)

TheAbominatrix
03-01-2006, 03:48 AM
From wikipedia:

Squall also appears as a non-player character in Kingdom Hearts, although he looks to have aged a few years and he goes by the name Leon (though Yuffie occasionally refers to him as Squall, much to his annoyance). "Leon" is voiced by David Boreanaz in the English language version of the game and Hideo Ishikawa in the Japanese version. He assumes the name Leon because he was unable to protect those he cares about from the Heartless when his world was consumed in darkness. He would go by his real name once the Heartless are defeated for good and his world restored.

Hope that answers everyone's questions.

KH-Cloudy
03-01-2006, 04:23 AM
yup yup the last sentence says it all

leader of mortals
03-23-2006, 12:53 AM
bump sorry

THATS WHAT I SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

ehsteve
03-24-2006, 10:51 PM
It also talks about why Squall wants to be called Leon in Jiminy's journal. Just go to the 'Characters' section and select Leon.

GhandiOwnsYou
04-01-2006, 08:45 AM
Super secret spoiler: the did it because Mandy Moore has a learning deficiency and kept pausing in the middle of her script because she couldn't sound out "Squall" correctly. totally true.

leader of mortals
04-06-2006, 08:30 PM
lol

SeeDRankLou
04-06-2006, 09:02 PM
Super secret spoiler: the did it because Mandy Moore has a learning deficiency and kept pausing in the middle of her script because she couldn't sound out "Squall" correctly. totally true.
lol......but Aerith doesn't say "Leon" once during the whole game. And there is only one text box where she says Leon.

Skyblade
04-06-2006, 09:19 PM
I still think that the reason he changed his name was because he had been unable to save Rinoa when Hollow Bastion was overrun...

Oh, and does anyone know what the letter he receives during the ending credits of KHII is about?

Ouch!
04-06-2006, 10:26 PM
Oh, and does anyone know what the letter he receives during the ending credits of KHII is about?
Probably just something for Squall/Rinoa fans similar to Cloud meeting up with Aeris in the credits of Kingdom Hearts.

lord shishio
04-08-2006, 03:18 AM
I think the journal says he changed it to try and forget about his past....or something like that....

Skyblade
04-08-2006, 05:55 AM
I think the journal says he changed it to try and forget about his past....or something like that....

The journal said he changed it to seperate himself from the person who he used to be, the person who stood idly by while Hollow Bastion fell to darkness. The idea that he also failed to protect Rinoa then is just my belief, it isn't supported by in-game evidence.