PDA

View Full Version : Goldeneye Source(remake)

edczxcvbnm
02-22-2006, 05:57 AM
http://www.goldeneyesource.com/

Relive the awesomeness of Goldeneye with this remake in the HL2 Source Engine. I am downloading it now but it is only at Alpha 1.1. They still have a long way to go according to them but at least they have released the Alpha. I am still waiting for an Alpha from Black Mesa Source.

We can now play the game with actual aiming among other things. This should be awesome!

Hawkeye
02-22-2006, 06:15 AM
omfg <3 :love:

Erdrick Holmes
02-22-2006, 07:03 AM
I'm gonna go kill myself now and save time.

edczxcvbnm
02-22-2006, 07:09 AM
Much to my dismay it is only multiplayer but I should have expected that. It is still pretty damn cool though.

Yamaneko
02-22-2006, 07:50 AM
Played it. Disappointed. Will wait for later versions.

edczxcvbnm
02-22-2006, 08:02 AM
They are suppose to have Alpha 1.2 out in March sometime. They still have a far way to go though. I will be more excited when they start releaseing Single Player maps and stuff...in like...2007 :/

Dreddz
02-22-2006, 09:18 PM
Im not that happy about it, it isnt that great....Im gonna wait for later versions..

Erdrick Holmes
02-22-2006, 09:37 PM
So far I was tld it won't allow the use of jumping... or falling... or gravity in general. My question is WHY use the fantastic HL2 physics engine if you're gonna leave the simple concept of GRAVITY it sounds pretty pointless to use such a great engine. It's like buying a car without a gas-tank.

Lindy
02-22-2006, 09:43 PM
Because people are trying to, I don't know, recreate the feel of a game they enjoyed? And because it's aimed at people that enjoyed the same said game?

If you're that obsessed with realistic physics when running around shooting people, go join the army, that's about as realistic as you can get.

nik0tine
02-22-2006, 09:46 PM
I never played the origional modification for half-life more than once or twice. It never really appeaked to me. If this mod is really good though then I might download the source version.

Shoeberto
02-22-2006, 10:04 PM
Played it at a LAN party on New Year's Eve. It was more fun when we made up our own game type involving knocking around the barrels.

I've more excited about Perfect Dark: Source.
http://mods.moddb.com/5882/

Maxico
02-22-2006, 11:14 PM
Jumping was taken out of the game intentionaly. They could have included it, but didn't.

Why? Because it's stupid to have people bouncing around all the time. Why not just have every play accessable without jumping and do away with all the cheap bouncing tactics all together?

Shoeberto
02-22-2006, 11:18 PM
Why? Because it's stupid to have people bouncing around all the time. Why not just have every play accessable without jumping and do away with all the cheap bouncing tactics all together?
Actually, it has to do with, y'know, the original Goldeneye not having jumping. Nor did it have crosshairs, except for in manual aim mode. It's to keep an authentic feel.

Maxico
02-22-2006, 11:31 PM
Actually, it has to do with, y'know, the original Goldeneye not having jumping. Nor did it have crosshairs, except for in manual aim mode. It's to keep an authentic feel.

I was actually refering to GoldenEye, or all games by David Doak (he worked on Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and the TimeSplitters series).

Who stated that he intentionally took jumping out of all of his games, because he felt that having people bouncing around during multiplayer games was stupid.

Erdrick Holmes
02-23-2006, 01:07 AM
Well why not gravity in general? I mean all platforms with 3 foot drops have unpassable invisible walls. STUPID STUPID STUPID

Heath
02-23-2006, 01:12 AM
Well why not gravity in general? I mean all platforms with 3 foot drops have unpassable invisible walls. STUPID STUPID STUPID

I'm sorry, but I think it's such a stupid argument to say that a game isn't fun or good because it doesn't feature jumping or realistic gravity or it has too many guns.

I certainly hope you never play Tetris, Joel, that didn't have an entirely realistic simulation of gravity.

And yeah, I've read about David Doak saying the same thing, Maxico.

Erdrick Holmes
02-23-2006, 01:19 AM
At least tetris HAS gravity. Millions of games before this had gravity. It just makes the level design seem piss poor if you can't walk off of ledges.

Rye
02-23-2006, 01:22 AM
It never seemed to matter to me. I loved GE and it never was a ledge walking off game, it was a shooter game, so I never cared. The levels are so memorable, GE was a major part of my childhood. I need to play that game again sometime.

Psychotic
02-23-2006, 01:26 AM
Wait, Joel's whole problem with GoldenEye is that you can't walk off ledges? If you want some hardcore ledge-based action, Joel, I recommend Lemmings.

Heath
02-23-2006, 01:37 AM
Wait, Joel's whole problem with GoldenEye is that you can't walk off ledges? If you want some hardcore ledge-based action, Joel, I recommend Lemmings.

Lemmings doesn't have a realistic physics engine and it has too many guns.

Erdrick Holmes
02-23-2006, 02:19 AM
Im ean what if you're on a level where there's a three foot drop between you and your next objective.

"Oh damn, a three foot drop, looksl ike I gotta go around this whole mountain base. That three foot drop looks dangerous, might cause me to drop one of my 27 machine guns or scrape a knee."

Psychotic
02-23-2006, 02:22 AM
What level is that on, Joel?

Erdrick Holmes
02-23-2006, 02:38 AM
Whatever levels have 3 foot drops, that was an example.

Psychotic
02-23-2006, 02:44 AM
The only level I can remember having a 3 foot drop is Egyptian. Actually, I think it was more of a 6 foot drop. And I know you could certainly fall when you walked over it. (It's that tunnel you go down if you mess up getting the Golden Gun)

Azure Chrysanthemum
02-23-2006, 02:49 AM
Whatever levels have 3 foot drops, that was an example.

Which would be which level now? Because I don't remember any of them in Goldeneye seeing as it wasn't based around that kind of gameplay.

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
02-23-2006, 02:55 AM
It never seemed to matter to me. I loved GE and it never was a ledge walking off game, it was a shooter game, so I never cared. The levels are so memorable, GE was a major part of my childhood. I need to play that game again sometime.

MecaKane
02-23-2006, 02:55 AM
The only level I can remember having a 3 foot drop is Egyptian. Actually, I think it was more of a 6 foot drop. And I know you could certainly fall when you walked over it. (It's that tunnel you go down if you mess up getting the Golden Gun)
You're acting under the assumption that Joel has actually played the game.

The only time I've ever noticed the no falling was on that one level with the ramps going around, or something.
But really, how realistic is it to fall down 10+ foot drops all the time? I don't know many covert agents who can jump several feet in the air like the quake dudes, either.

Erdrick Holmes
02-23-2006, 03:05 AM
You're acting under the assumption that Joel has actually played the game.

You're acting under the assumption that you know what you're talkign about about. I used to own the stupid game back when I had an N64.

Psychotic
02-23-2006, 03:07 AM
You're acting under the assumption that Joel has actually played the game.Oh, silly me.

But anyway, I just wanted to add, but obviously not for Joel's benefit, that there's also a 3ft drop you can jump down on the Frigate level. It's the helipad.

Also, you can jump out of a second floor window on Archives, which is roughly 6 feet. Oh, and I think you can jump from both sides of the Dam on the Dam level. Admittedly one is part of a cutscene, but if I remember rightly, you can jump down a good 15-20ft to the other side of the dam, where there is some water and a few boxes.

I've forgotten the name of the facility escape level where you can drive a tank, but there's also a 3ft drop near the beginning of that level, too. And who can forget that 10ft drop down to that small platform at the end of the Cradle level? Even NPCs can manage it!

It's amazing what you can find when you play such a great game before attempting to criticise it, really.

MecaKane
02-23-2006, 03:11 AM
Also I remember some level where you can jump out of and up into an air duct or something. Maybe only in multiplayer though.

Azure Chrysanthemum
02-23-2006, 03:15 AM
That's the facility. It makes for a fun trick in capture the flag when you're the only one who knows how to do it.

edczxcvbnm
02-23-2006, 05:36 AM
I know what Joel is talking about. In a lot of the multiplayer levels you couldn't go over the edges. Complex is one that I am thinking of. During the single player you could jump off ledges more often than not. I do believe there were some occasions where you couldn't like the stair cases in the Control Room and what not.