PDA

View Full Version : Nap spasms

Mo-Nercy
02-22-2006, 05:03 PM
I'm not sure how to explain this. I may be the only person on the planet to get these...

But every now and again, when I feel a little drowsy and dose off just for a few seconds/minutes (usually on the train or something), I'll shudder really heavily as I wake up again. This never occurs as I come out of "real" sleep, only the little subconscious microsleeps. It's weird and I can't help but feel like an idiot afterwards because it always seems to occur in public.

Anyone else crazy?

Bart's Friend Milhouse
02-22-2006, 05:07 PM
it happens to me too!
i fell asleep on my bed and sudden I woke up with a shock, can't really explain it

Levian
02-22-2006, 05:08 PM
This always happens at least once in a sitcom episode. Twice if the show is really hilarious.

Resha
02-22-2006, 05:28 PM
Is it...like, when you dream you're falling or something? Or do you just jerk back to consciosness, like?

Mo-Nercy
02-22-2006, 05:30 PM
Is it...like, when you dream you're falling or something? Or do you just jerk back to consciosness, like?
Oh that happens to me too. I hate the falling dream. H8!

Resha
02-22-2006, 05:41 PM
God, yes. Me too. It's kinda cool though. Someone once told me that it's because I've just had an out-of-body experience, and that's my spiritual plane snapping back to reality/my body or something.

It's...well. :confused:!

Giga Guess
02-23-2006, 01:22 AM
Chalk me up for the falling sensation and then jolt awake.

Luc
02-23-2006, 02:21 AM

Oh man, I hate those so much.

Shlup
02-23-2006, 03:25 AM
I did that a lot yesterday. Mostly during my anthropology class.

TheAbominatrix
02-23-2006, 03:28 AM
I do it pretty often, and I always jerk awake if I fall asleep where/when I wasnt supposed to. Typically I dream I'm tripping over a curb, and then I gasp and wake up. Its teh sux.

I also get pretty intense muscle spasms when I'm smoking.

Fonzie
02-23-2006, 03:38 AM
Sometimes i know i'm asleep in my dreams. I tell myslef to wake up, but it's really hazey and hard to see.

Zeromus_X
02-23-2006, 03:44 AM
These happen to me alot. (They're quite annoying too.)

It feels as if someone's throwing dirt in my face, then I suddenly wake up from about to go to sleep. Y'know? Usually I see a gremlin or something, with a bag of sand..

But anyway, yeah, those happen to me. I read in this book about dreams that theyre quite common. :cat:

Vaprice
02-23-2006, 03:45 AM
It happens to everyone. When you sleep your constantly moving, more comfortable, etc... you don't even know it. I do this as well. It is horrible because it takes like an hour for me to get to sleep... and it's just... omg it sucks... lol

Calliope
02-23-2006, 03:48 AM
I get like that if I've had too much aspartame/caffiene, but only in my limbs. It's excruciatingly annoying, and I always want to tear my arms off to make it stop. Joe always gets weirded out and I'm all I CAN'T FEEL MY ARMS ARAGHASLDKFJS~!

:D

Reles
02-23-2006, 04:02 AM
Uh this has never happened while I was sleeping, but I've had a spasm randomly while laying awake. Like the whole bed shakes, but apparently it's a mild heart attack, which actually if it happens to you, it's suppose to mean that you're less likely to have a heart attack. But no, never jerks while sleeping.

Rusty
02-23-2006, 05:44 AM

This happens to me a lot. It's horrible.

fire_of_avalon
02-23-2006, 06:13 AM
Is this like the pee shivers Jojo made a thread about that time? The sleep jolts? Maybe it's related to simultaneously going into and coming out of a REM sleep period, where you become paralysed. Maybe it's a form of narcolepsy!

Or maybe it's just you making yourself wake up. I know sometimes when I wake up naturally I open my eyes very quickly (and by some accounts, frighteningly), or sit straight up before I'm *really* awake.

Old Manus
02-23-2006, 09:38 AM
You all fail at sleeping

Ashi
02-23-2006, 04:15 PM
That happens to me pretty often. It has never happened if I fell asleep in the car or other places, mostly when in bed. I would only be asleep a few seconds and suddenly I'd wake up with that shudder thing. Sometimes I would have that falling dream as I wake up, but not so much lately.