PDA

View Full Version : Good RPG's?

amratis
02-22-2006, 06:44 PM
I'm dieing for some good RPG's to play. I've played to death all of mine, need something new. Can anyone recommend some they think are good? OTHER then FF, of course, and Shadow Hearts.

DK
02-22-2006, 06:49 PM
Are ye jes looking for PS2 RPG's or any RPG's for any console or what?

Jebus
02-22-2006, 06:52 PM
The Suikoden series. Most of the Dragon Quests are pretty good too. Chrono Trigger, the Seiken Densetsu series, Xenogears, Earthbound, I liked Secret of Evermore too. Lufia 2 was good as well.

Um...

The Front Mission series is pretty good if you like SRPGs. That's all I've played that I can think of right now.

amratis
02-22-2006, 07:00 PM
Are ye jes looking for PS2 RPG's or any RPG's for any console or what?

PS2, sorry should have said.

DK
02-22-2006, 07:01 PM
Arc:Twilight of the spirits is pretty suave on PS2. Suikoden is supposed to be a good series but I got bored of Suikoden 1. Chrono Trigger is indeed fantastic. Megaman X Command Mission was pretty fun, The pokemon games are fantastic RPG's, I dun care what anyone says. Medabots had a fun GBA rpg, too. Breath of Fire and Grandia are also good.

Edit: Then ignore CT and Pokemon and Medabots. :D Breath of Fire III is PSX but awesome, they have PS2 one's as well. Arc has a gooood story. Megaman is just fun, if a little repetative.

Jebus
02-22-2006, 07:04 PM
Well, PSX games can be played on the PS2 so most of what I said still applies.

And yes, Suiko 1 did get a bit dull, Dan, but 2 and 3 are so much better.

DK
02-22-2006, 07:06 PM
Yar, but I want to play it through so I don't miss any references in II. I'll get back to playing it once i'm done with SotC. :D

amratis
02-22-2006, 07:12 PM
Yeah I heard Grandia's quite good. Anyone heard of one called Dark Chronicles? PS2 mag recommended it but I've never heard of it. Think I'll try out Chrono Trigger, and maybe Suikoden. And eventually get round to everything else in those lists. I'll play everything once. :D

DK
02-22-2006, 07:15 PM
Chrono Trigger is an absolute classic and a must play, but it's on the SNES. You can emulate it quite easily, though.

amratis
02-22-2006, 07:22 PM
Whats Arc? Good story's are what I'm looking for.

EDIT - been doing abit searching from those names. Think I'll try out, Arc, Suikoden 3 and Xenosaga first, they look good. Ok someone can close this is they want now.

Jebus
02-22-2006, 07:29 PM
I would recommend playing Suiko 1 and 2 first if you can.

Makes the overall experience of 3 much better.

DK
02-22-2006, 07:30 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/arctheladtwilight/review.html?q=Arc:%20Twilight%20of%20the%20spirits

Dreddz
02-22-2006, 07:52 PM
Grandia III has just come out, its an amazing RPG, get it. Ive spent so much time on it, one of the best PS2 RPG's IMO.
If you dont want that get Dark Chronicle ( or Dark Cloud 2 if you live in the US )

Such Great Heights
02-22-2006, 07:57 PM
Chrono Trigger is an absolute classic and a must play, but it's on the SNES. You can emulate it quite easily, though.

And then there's the awful PSX port from FF Anthology (Chronicles? Can never keep those two straight.)

The "Tales of..." games are great. Tales of Destiny is my favorite! It's a PSX game. Tales of Legendia is coming out soon for the PS2. They have a "fighting game" battle system, not a menu based one like most RPGs.

~SapphireStar~
02-22-2006, 08:00 PM
Suikoden series, Shadow Hearts series, Moneky Island series, Broken Sword series, Grandia series, list goes on.

The Last Ancient
02-22-2006, 09:07 PM
Arc the lad takes place thousands of years after the originial Arc the Lad series. It's cool if you haven't played them though cause they have almost nothing to do with them except a vague mention here and there. In this world there are humans and deimos and they are at major odds with each other, you play alternately as a human in his story (Kharg) and a deimos in his story (Darc). I enjoyed the story and the music, the story isn't as predictable as you might think. Also try Xenosaga, the first ones a lot better imo, and Star Ocean Til the end of Time, which I thought was a breath of fresh air storywise (still cliche-bound but interesting) even though a lot of the characters were boring. There is Suikoden 3 too which you don't really need to have played the first two although it's nice. Beyond Good and Evil too isn't exactly an rpg but great story albeit not nearly enough.

NeoCracker
02-22-2006, 10:45 PM
And highley Recomend Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits, Xenosaga, and Wild arms 2 and four, Wild arms 2 is one of the best games on the PSX IMO.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
02-22-2006, 10:47 PM
Koudelka
no wait was it kookadelk
no maybe it was koudelek?
ah forget it

Nick Schovitz
02-22-2006, 10:50 PM
I suggest Arc the Lad Twilight of the Spirits, it's only 14 dollars and it's quite pretty good, although the ending of the game lacks. That's the only Arc the Lad game I played but it's good. Oh I forgot play Legaia2 Duel Saga, it has a pretty good battle system but that's about it, lacks in a story.

Lindy
02-22-2006, 11:02 PM
Brave Fencer Musashi!

Dreddz
02-22-2006, 11:36 PM
Koudelka
no wait was it kookadelk
no maybe it was koudelek?
ah forget it
Are You serious ?
Koudelka was awful....

black orb
02-23-2006, 12:47 AM
>>> Play Suikoden 1, S1 was the best from the series..
well Im probably the only one who thinks that..

mega_tonberry
02-23-2006, 01:39 AM
Buy a playstation memory card and get legend of dragoon.

Luc
02-23-2006, 02:11 AM
I'd recommend any of the Suikoden games, and Grandia.

BTW, Shadow Hearts rocks! :P

Vaprice
02-23-2006, 02:14 AM
I would think Dark Cloud although it does get repetitive a lot, it's still a fun game. If you think about all the aspects of the game, just because one things isn't good doesn't make the whole thing bad.

KH, FF's (Duh), shadow of collosus, & legend of mana.

Azure Chrysanthemum
02-23-2006, 02:43 AM
Disgaea: Hour of Darkness. And Xenogears.

Jhei
02-23-2006, 03:53 AM
These are just the great RPGs I've played: Grandia 1 and 2 (also consider 3 which has just come out!), Legend of Legaia (better than Legaia 2), Star Ocean: Till the End of Time, Kingdom Hearts (II is near!), Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits, Dragon Quest VIII, Breath of Fire III.

Markus. D
02-23-2006, 05:09 AM
Guild Wars has a nice story..... if you know which part of it your playing.

Storyline is hidden out in the free roam maps.

whereas the more quicker moments are in the missions.

Lindy
02-23-2006, 05:49 AM
People saying SO3 are freaks, that game is like punishment from God.

Play Star Ocean 1 or 2, even Blue Sphere on the GB! But for poor baby Jesus' sake, don't play SO3.

DK
02-23-2006, 02:09 PM

:heart:

Loony BoB
02-23-2006, 02:19 PM
Of those mentioned, I can vouch for the Wild Arms series the most - it's been ages since I played those games, I think I'll get them again. Grandia, Chrono Trigger and Suikoden are all pretty good too.

Such Great Heights
02-23-2006, 02:48 PM

Play Star Ocean 1 or 2, even Blue Sphere on the GB! But for poor baby Jesus' sake, don't play SO3.

I would play Mystic Quest before I played Blue Sphere.

amratis
02-23-2006, 05:20 PM
I wonder how much it would actually cost to get ALL of these games...*ponders*

I wonder how long it'd actually take to PLAY them all...

I'm confused about SO3 now, I'd generally heard fairly good reports of it.

I'm trying Xenogears and Xenosaga first, then Arc the lad, maybe other way round.

Anyone here played Harvest Moon? its supposed to be some cross between rpg and building sim. PS2 mag gave it 85% or something?

Crossblades
02-23-2006, 06:50 PM
Get Tales of Legendia. It's fun

Lindy
02-23-2006, 08:01 PM
Penny Arcade was pretty much correct when all you do is watch the rest of your party get raped by Lizard Men then just switch and give another party member a go.

The wonderful Skill system that pervaded the previous Star Ocean games was culled out and dumbed down horribly.
The battle system is stupid beyond stupid where attacks take either HP or MP and if you drop to zero on either you die, note that enemies also damage your MP; did I mention that you can MISS with spells? This wouldn't be so bad, but you're very limited in what skills you can even select for use in battle, so for the most part you're dumped just using normal attacks. The frantic and energetic nature of Star Ocean and Star Ocean 2 is replaced by sluggish, uninteresting and downright frustrating battles.

The story is bland, uninteresting and for the most part pretty predictable; the ZOMG GIANT SPOILER towards the end alone drove myself and a massive host of other Star Ocean fans into a rabid frenzy of anger and hatred.

All in all, the final product makes me wonder who of the original Tri-Ace was actually involved with Star Ocean 3, and if any were, what the hell they were taking while making it,

And Final Fantasy Mystic Quest is better than Star Ocean 3 in terms of story, battle system and general FUN.

Such Great Heights
02-23-2006, 08:23 PM
I wonder how much it would actually cost to get ALL of these games...*ponders*

I wonder how long it'd actually take to PLAY them all...

I'm trying Xenogears and Xenosaga first, then Arc the lad, maybe other way round.

Anyone here played Harvest Moon? its supposed to be some cross between rpg and building sim. PS2 mag gave it 85% or something?

If you're interested in Star Ocean, play the first two games (especially the first!) and wait for another sequel to come out. The games aren't too interrelated.

ANY Harvest Moon game is fantastic!

Dreddz
02-23-2006, 08:34 PM
SO1 is Good
SO2 is fantastic
SO3 is an overrated mess

~SapphireStar~
02-23-2006, 08:54 PM
SO2 is fantastic
SO3 is an overrated mess

Agreed, SO2 was by far more superior to SO3. That was a waste of my both my time and money.
Harvest Moon is goldy and should be played. Also Legend of Legaia if you can find it and Koudelka, that was one wicked game!

Tifa's Real Lover(really
02-23-2006, 08:56 PM
i just finished arc of the lad, took me 30 hours, was pretty good, the battle system sucks, but its strangely addictive and has a good story

Dreddz
02-23-2006, 08:58 PM
Koudelka, that was one wicked game!
Whats everyones love with this game, It was hella stupid.

NeoCracker
02-23-2006, 11:40 PM
Phantom Brave, La Pucelle Tatctics,

~SapphireStar~
02-23-2006, 11:41 PM
Whats everyones love with this game, It was hella stupid.
Each to his own, I just fell in love with it when I played it 5 years ago and I still do.

Raistlin
02-28-2006, 10:50 PM
Suikoden III is the best RPG out on the PS2. Anyone who disputes this can safely be branded an idiot and then disregarded. S4 wasn't too bad. It's worth playing just to read that High Sea's Journal thingy. I've heard Suikoden Tactics is good, but I don't have personal experience for that.

So there's three long RPGs for the PS2. That should last you a while.

Erdrick Holmes
02-28-2006, 11:01 PM
Dude, Dragon Quest VIII was much better than 3.

Anyway, if you want a terrific RPG wait till Phantasy Star Universe comes out on the PS2 this winter (spring if you live in europe).

MecaKane
02-28-2006, 11:37 PM
I guess that's fair, I guess. An awesome story, and cool skill system doesn't really compare with bouncing tits and pig-tails.

The .hack games are pretty good. For somereason I didn't mind the repeatitiveness of the dungens or anything. :eek:

~SapphireStar~
02-28-2006, 11:54 PM
I've heard Suikoden Tactics is good, but I don't have personal experience for that.
I was close to buying it, but after the horror of Suikoden 4 on the PS2 I didnt want to waste £35 on it.

Reine
03-01-2006, 01:34 AM
I like Star Ocean 3, regardless of what people say about it

Star Ocean 2 is too boring now, I like 3 better. Havent gotten far with 1, the game always crashes (I hate ROMS, they are so unstable)

Erdrick Holmes
03-01-2006, 01:45 AM
Anyway, the thing that makes Dragon Quest VIII superior to other PS2 RPGs is the battle system and skill system. Simple yet offective, definetly prooves that the phrase 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' still stands. Long as hell and one of the most customizable RPGs I ever played. Plus it's had, it's one of those games that you need to think to know what to do next, it doesn't hold your hand through the whole game like almost all of the other RPGs out there do beyond 1995.

Azure Chrysanthemum
03-01-2006, 02:09 AM
I honestly wasn't impressed by the Dragon Quest VIII system, possibly because they didn't do anything new. I've been playing Dragon Quest games for many years now, I'd kind of like to see something different. The story's decent, but sub-par when compared to others.

Not that it's a bad game, I'm enjoying it quite a bit. But it's not the best thing out there.

The Harvest Moon series is great. I don't know why it's great, but it is.

Rengori
03-01-2006, 02:28 AM
Disgaea, Hour of Darkness. And Xenogears.
And Makai Kingdom. And Phantom Brave. And the first 3 Megaman Battle Network games. After that they kinda sucked.

Erdrick Holmes
03-01-2006, 03:50 AM
If you got a Genesis play Phantasy Star IV, seriously all RPGs suck compaired to this perfect gem of a game. Anybody saying anything else prooves their own ignorance.

Raistlin
03-01-2006, 05:06 AM
I was close to buying it, but after the horror of Suikoden 4 on the PS2 I didnt want to waste £35 on it.
I know people who have played 4 and Tactics, and they say Tactics is much better.

Erdrick Holmes
03-01-2006, 05:13 PM
I haven't even played Tactics and I can safely alrady say its alot better than 4. IV was one of the worst games I EVER played. The only thing that made playing it worth anything was Jeane and Viki.

Raistlin
03-01-2006, 05:29 PM
Joel, do you make a habit of completely changing your opinion 6 months or so after you've played a game? I remember you saying that S4 was great.

MecaKane
03-01-2006, 07:32 PM
That's quite a strech. The gameplay in Suikoden IV wasn't that bad, and it's not like there was that much of the pretty blah story to have to sit through.

Erdrick Holmes
03-01-2006, 09:15 PM
Joel, do you make a habit of completely changing your opinion 6 months or so after you've played a game? I remember you saying that S4 was great.

No I said it just wasn't good. Now that I thought about it it kinda sucks.

Raistlin
03-01-2006, 09:22 PM
No I said it just wasn't good.

Really? (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showpost.php?p=1002624&postcount=77) Do you make a habit of lying, then? (http://raistlinknight.livejournal.com/32617.html)

Erdrick Holmes
03-01-2006, 09:51 PM
Yeah I said that before I finally finished the game. Besides.. WHO CARES.

Dreddz
03-01-2006, 09:54 PM
Well obviously Raistlin
S4 was pretty bad, I actually regret wasting my time beating that game, I still want to play S3 and ST. And S5 is nearly out, too much, *fingers jam*
Gosh darn it....

DarkLord
05-04-2006, 09:29 AM
I'd say the FF's (duh) KH Dark Cloud, Dark Chronicle and GRandia 1 2 and 3

DeathKnight
05-04-2006, 05:10 PM
-Skies Of Arcadia (Gamecube/Dreamcast)
-Thousand Arms (PlayStation)
-Grandia II (Gamecube)
-Tales Of Symphonia (Gamecute)
-Shining Tears (PlayStation2)
-Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (PlayStation2)

RedCydranth
05-04-2006, 05:22 PM
Wow, the guy asked for a good RPG and he's still getting reccomendations moths later, we're all too kind.

On the Suikoden debate, Suikoden IV was bad because it wasn't made by the same team who made Suikoden I-III, a new team was made and they tried some new things, but they didn't really do it well enough. However the saving grace for Suikoden IV is that its story is well tied into Suikoden Tactics which was a dramatic step up in terms of playability and enjoyability. Seneca and Andarc = gods.

With Suikoden V out, I'm inclined to say that that game is a must pick up. Even if you know little of Suikoden, this game has a very in depth story thats easy to follow and easier to love. The graphics are well done and the overall style goes back to what made Suikoden II and III great. The Skill system returns and is revamped from III, and the in depth character development that made II so popular is back and better than ever.

Suikoden is still under rated as far as credit for a great series goes, but its starting to gain some steam and become a frontrunner for best RPG series. Finally a non Square-Enix series looks to make an impact!

Other decent RPGs are Dragon Quest VIII, Atelier Iris (1 and 2) and anything else Nippon Ichi has touched. A great set of games. Disgaea may be a tad hard to get though, but you should be able to get Makai Kingdom or La Pucelle: Tactics at a local Electronics Boutique.

If you want to go back to the days of old and pick up Xenogears, Legend of Mana or Star Ocean 2. Stay away from SO3. Its not anything nearly as good as 2 or even 1. But Star Ocean 3 is enjoyable if go into it not comparing it to the rest of the series. Its like how people say FFVIII sucked because they compared it to FFVII, rather than looking at it in its own light (which I did and still hated it)

Dell
05-04-2006, 05:43 PM
Play Tales of Legendia, I just finished it, so funny....

Elite Lord Sigma
05-04-2006, 08:34 PM
Kingdom Hearts series (PS2 and GBA)
Paper Mario series (perfect if you want something different from your average RPG) (N64 and GCN)
Skies of Arcadia (DC and GCN)
Pokemon series (I don't care what anybody else says) (GCN, GB, GBC, GBA, N64, DS)

Breine
05-06-2006, 04:49 PM
Dark Chronicle (Dark Cloud 2) is a great game. Go buy it :smash: