PDA

View Full Version : Classical Music

nik0tine
02-23-2006, 05:46 AM
Anybody besides me like classical music? If so, who are your favorite composers and why? What are your favorite works by them? I'm hoping to generate a list of great music that I haven't heard yet.

My favorite composer is obviously J.S. Bach simply because he is an unparalleled genius. There are too many great works of his to list, but some of my favorite would be the immortal Jesu, Bleibet Meine Freude (Jesu, joy of mans desiring in english). I'm also a big fan of his Sleepers, Awake! Both his John and Matthew passions are ridiculously amazing. His Fugues are king, too.

Hawkeye
02-23-2006, 05:57 AM
Beethoven>Bach

Azure Chrysanthemum
02-23-2006, 07:07 AM
So many great composers, I love them all. It's difficult to decide.

But really, I have a certain appreciation for Tchaikovsky, I like a lot of his stuff. Don't know if he counts as my favorite though, Beethoven, Bach, as mentioned earlier, Mozart, Handel, I really do enjoy so many different pieces.

Even newer stuff like Copeland ranks high on my list. I honestly can't make a real decision.

nik0tine
02-23-2006, 07:41 AM
Beethoven>Bach
You have once again proven that you know nothing.

Baroque>everything else.

Samuraid
02-23-2006, 08:16 AM
I love a lot of classical music. (baroque, classical, and romantic periods)
I especially like: Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Liszt, Chopin, Grieg, Brahms, Debussy to name the most popular.

Meat Puppet
02-23-2006, 08:46 AM
Ringtones ruined Schubert, for me.

jrgen
02-23-2006, 10:17 AM
My favourite composer is probably Prokofiev, although I really like Rimsky-Kosakov, Rachmaninov, Wagner, Strauß and Beethoven too.

Rye
02-23-2006, 03:09 PM
I like classical music, but I don't hear enough of it to really appreciate it. The classical music I do learn is usually from piano lessons and chorus lessons. Those also really bolstered my appreciation for opera, which is something I adore now.

Jebus
02-23-2006, 03:31 PM
Bach really was a fucking genius. If not my favorite, he's definately one of my top three. I also really like Mussorgsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, Handel, Grieg, and Mozart.

Itsunari 2000
02-23-2006, 04:21 PM
Vivinsky and Korschetto. Bach is also good.

Captain Maxx Power
02-23-2006, 07:40 PM
I really like classical. I can't name any specific composers I prefer, but I generally prefer strings over brass or woodwind etc.

nik0tine
02-23-2006, 09:53 PM
For those of you who have already posted, what are some of your favorite compositions by the composers that you have listed?

Hawkeye
02-23-2006, 10:05 PM
Beethoven's Sonata Op.27 No.2 Presto agitato (I'm learning it atm)

Tifa's Real Lover(really
02-23-2006, 10:07 PM
i dont reely listen to classical, except john williams and other soundtracts from movies, lotr, etc

nik0tine
02-23-2006, 10:09 PM
Then you're missing out.

JackNapier
02-23-2006, 10:27 PM
I enjoy it but there's one song that I've been dying to figure out what it is. It's the one that always seems to be in a movie advertisement. It was in a beer commercial too.

Tempest
02-23-2006, 10:31 PM
I'm a big fan of Beethoven's work. Moonlite Sonata is one of my favorite pieces by him.

nik0tine
02-23-2006, 10:39 PM
I enjoy it but there's one song that I've been dying to figure out what it is. It's the one that always seems to be in a movie advertisement. It was in a beer commercial too.
If it's in commercials it's probably Pachelbels Canon.

JackNapier
02-23-2006, 10:42 PM
Nah, it's alot more upbeat than that.

Slade
02-25-2006, 04:25 AM
I love classical music. I love it just as much as I love rock music. Its so powerful and emotional :love:

Kawaii Ryûkishi
02-25-2006, 04:28 AM
It's ridiculous that Chopin and Wagner have only been mentioned once. Let's get it together, here, people. Ribald youth.

The Devourer Of Worlds
02-25-2006, 04:38 AM
Ravel pwns them all. 20th Century Neo Classicism WTF!

Shlup
02-25-2006, 04:39 AM
I don't think I've ever met anyone that doesn't like classical music.

My favorite composers seem to alternate between Tchaikovsky, Chopin, and Bach. Beethoven, Mozart, and Handel are up there too. Hell, they're all up there. It's hard to find classical music I dislike.

Kirobaito
02-25-2006, 04:55 AM
I like Haydn, for as much that's left of him, and Debussy a lot. Norman Dello Joio wrote <i>Fantasies on a Theme by Haydn</i> in the 20th century, and that's one of my favorite pieces. <i>Girl With Flaxen Hair</i> by Debussy is good, too. I also like Vaclav Nelhybel's <i>Trittico</i>. Schubert is also enjoyable.

Classical music is good, when I'm in the mood.

Hawkeye
02-25-2006, 05:24 AM
I don't think I've ever met anyone that doesn't like classical music.

My favorite composers seem to alternate between Tchaikovsky, Chopin, and Bach. Beethoven, Mozart, and Handel are up there too. Hell, they're all up there. It's hard to find classical music I dislike.
Get lost you baroque and romantic era listeners. This is CLASSICAL music! :mad2:

-N-
02-25-2006, 06:19 AM
Chopin's and Debussy's piano works are really nice to play.
I prefer to listen to Tchaikovsky, Haydn, and Mozart.
I like Carl Orff's Carmina Burana opera as well.

Can't say I'm as much of a fan of Baroque and Classical eras of music - I find most of it to be too rigid and structured. That being said, there are really interesting Bach fugues that blow any preconceptions of rigidity out of the water. So I'm being stereotypical here.

Classic and orchestral music is the best for road trips.

Armisael
02-25-2006, 09:10 AM
I have always liked classical music, there are really masterpieces out there..
My fav composers are:
Beethoven--Ode To Joy--, Pachelbel--Canon In D--, Bach--Air on The G string-- , Tchaikovsky--1812 Overture---, Vivaldi--The four seasons--, Handel--Hallelujah Chorus--, Mozart--Lacrimosa--, Schubert--Auf Dem Wasser Zu Singen D 774--.

Mo-Nercy
02-25-2006, 09:38 AM
I'm a lot more shallow than all of you when it comes to this type of music (or any music).

I like the classical stuff Banya remixes into hawt K-pop. You'll find them in the Korean dance simulation game, Pump it up. I've uploaded one but I'm not sure what it's a remix of (the game calls in Beethoven Virus). There are a few others that were too big to upload; Csikos Post, Turkey March etc. Very snazzy stuff.

fantasyjunkie
02-25-2006, 09:39 AM
I am a metal head. Have been since the 70's. Grew up on Led Zepplin, Boston, Kiss, and Iron Maiden. But damn, I do love to listen to Bach and Beethoven, and O Fortuna from the movie "Excalibur" rocks too. No wonder so many rock bands mix rock with classical.

smittenkitten
02-25-2006, 09:46 AM
I love classical mooosik especial mozart, some final fantasy moosik (especially VII) I mostly listen to classical fm hehe is FAB :love:~

Rusty
02-25-2006, 01:54 PM
Classical music bores me. I can name a few composers like Mozart, Bach and Beethoven. Apparently though I used to love Richard Clayderman when I was little, I was told that was classical music. Does he count?

Resha
02-25-2006, 01:59 PM
I like Beethoven, yes, and I adore Tchaikovsky. I really do! Mozart is okay, and I'm sad to confess I've never heard Bach. "Pachabel's Cannon" is one of my faves, but...who composed it? :confused:

jrgen
02-25-2006, 03:12 PM
I also feel the need to add some contemporary composers of classical music like Asis Nasseri, Christofer Johnsson, Tobias Hahn, Michael Haas and Tilo Wolff. Not always purely classical music, but I still think they should count.

nik0tine
02-25-2006, 07:47 PM
I like Beethoven, yes, and I adore Tchaikovsky. I really do! Mozart is okay, and I'm sad to confess I've never heard Bach.I'll send you some Bach if you like.

"Pachabel's Cannon" is one of my faves, but...who composed it? Pachelbel composed it. :p

JackNapier
02-25-2006, 11:02 PM
And O Fortuna from the movie "Excalibur" rocks too. No wonder so many rock bands mix rock with classical.

Yes! That's exactly the one I was looking for! Thanks.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
02-28-2006, 11:59 AM
i don't know too much about this kind of music so names and pieces are quite a long way off

Moose Knight
03-05-2006, 08:18 PM
Beethoven is the most superior composer. Bach was a genius for his time, but there is no way his music stands up to most great music since then.

My favorite compsers are Mussorgsky, Philip Glass, Bartok, Beethoven, and many others.

~SapphireStar~
03-05-2006, 08:34 PM
Ive really only heard Beethoven, Bach and Mozart.

nik0tine
03-05-2006, 08:38 PM
Beethoven is the most superior composer. Bach was a genius for his time, but there is no way his music stands up to most great music since then.
*flames Moose Knight*

Hawkeye
03-05-2006, 08:43 PM
Don't be hating cause it's true.

nik0tine
03-05-2006, 08:56 PM
Beethoven had alot of music that completely fucking sucked. Bach had none. Beat that Classical/Romantic composers!

Madame Adequate
03-05-2006, 09:16 PM
I probably like Vivalda and Tchaikovsky the most. I've not listened to nearly as much classical music as I ought to have though.

Moose Knight
03-06-2006, 01:28 AM
Beethoven had alot of music that completely smurfing sucked. Bach had none. Beat that Classical/Romantic composers!

ehh...no...

nik0tine
03-06-2006, 03:02 AM
ehh...no...
I can't think of anything by Bach that was really all that boring. I can make a whole list of stuff by Beethoven, though. Mostly his god awful piano work.

Moose Knight
03-08-2006, 01:48 AM
Okay, instead of carrying on this trivial argument, I'll offer music that hopefully you haven't heard so, like in the title, you may build a list of "classical" music.

Arnold Schonberg-Pierrot Lunaire: The other important modernist piece, besides Rite of Spring. However, less people are familiar with this. Check it out, its crazy.

Bela Bartok-Concerto for Orchestra

Philip Glass-Music in Similiar Motion: Probably the most characteristically minimalist piece.

Reinhold Gliere-Symphony No. 3: Not a widely known composer, which I feel is unfortunate. Romantic, Russian Nationalist music.

Denmark
03-08-2006, 03:35 AM
personally, I prefer Bach over Beethoven.

profskett
03-08-2006, 10:07 AM
"Pachabel's Cannon" is one of my faves, but...who composed it?Firstly, Pachelbel's Canon sucks (dull, boring, repetitive...over and over again...) Secondly, I think Pachelbel might have written Pachelbel's Canon...

i dont reely listen to classical, except john williams and other soundtracks from movies, lotr, etcYay, I love John Williams also! The LotR music is also awesome. If you like soundtracks then I would also recommend Hans Zimmer, Danny Elfman and Harry Gregson Williams.

But yes, there was a lot of great music written before there was any such thing as cinema! I really love romantic stuff (like Faure, Debussy, Chopin - especially the 'Fantasie Impromptu', which I have as my ringtone :) ), I've played quite a lot of romantic stuff on flute which sounds really nice (normally sounds better when somebody good plays it!) I am also a huge fan of lots of modern classical guitar music - Villa-Lobos, Barrios, Rodrigo's "Concierto d'Aranjuez" (of course), and many others.

nik0tine
03-08-2006, 10:16 AM
Firstly, Pachelbel's Canon sucks (dull, boring, repetitive...over and over again...) Secondly, I think Pachelbel might have written Pachelbel's Canon...It's repetitive because it's a Canon. That's the whole point of a canon. :p
It's the best canon I've ever heard though. It takes all of the canons in art of fuge to school. I really like it.

Pachelbel did write it, though.

escobert
03-08-2006, 10:18 AM
If I weren't so lazy I would get some calassical stuff. But alas I'm a lazt bastered.

nik0tine
03-08-2006, 10:25 AM
Get unlazy. You're missing out, man!

If you want to contact me on AIM I'll send you some of my favorites. I'll be happy to do that for anybody, actually.

escobert
03-08-2006, 11:01 AM
Sounds good to me, I'm always on loserkidssuck