PDA

View Full Version : Upbeat rhythm for an upbeat personality?

Loony BoB
02-23-2006, 12:14 PM
I've noticed a sort-of trend in that people who listen to more 'boppy' music tend to be happier than those who listen to more 'heavy' music. For an example of what each of those is...

Boppy = Pop, hip hop, dance, etc.
Heavy = Metal, grunge, emo, etc.

I listen to both, but lately I've been listening to a lot of pop and I've noticed that my mood generally improves depending on the upbeat feel of boppier music. I was just wondering if you think that the kind of music people listen to has any kind of influence on them. Note that I'm not talking about lyrics so much as the music itself.

Lindy
02-23-2006, 12:56 PM
Heavy, angry music gets me pumped up just as much as something cheerful and upbeat, as long as it's pretty jumpy music.

I.E. Machine Head - Bulldozer and We Are Scientists - Nobody Move, Nobody Get Hurt have identical effects on me.

I'm just plain happy, yo.

jrgen
02-23-2006, 01:15 PM
I think you might be right. I'm mostly not a very happy person and all my favourite bands generally make rather depressing music. I also can't stand too happy music.

Giga Guess
02-23-2006, 01:35 PM
Generally, yeah, I find that.

DK
02-23-2006, 02:07 PM
My playlist is extremely varied between "heavy" and "boppy", by your definitions. And some of the heavy songs are some of the more happy songs, one of them is the most uplifting song I have.

Chris
02-23-2006, 03:47 PM
I don't know. I'm pretty strange in the sense that when I listen to music I get fully involved. There's no disturbing me while I'm listening to music, so I don't really know how to define myself.

Venom
02-23-2006, 04:43 PM
Heavy metal makes me wanna do stuff with girls.

Cz
02-23-2006, 06:02 PM
People choose music according to their mood, so its not surprising that when a person gets angry they're likely to put on the loudest, most aggressive song in their collection. It makes sense, therefore, that people's music libraries should reflect their personalities (or at least their regular mood patterns) pretty well. I personally have a range of different musical styles, that phase in and out of popularity depending on how I'm feeling. It's pretty upbeat at the moment. :)

Gopher Gamble
02-23-2006, 06:09 PM
I like just about everything and yeah I do think that my mood changes with music because if I hate a song I can get pretty mad. I hate music that's alittle too cheery, like it could of been written by a Care Bear.

Lost Number
02-23-2006, 08:10 PM
I normally play depressing music, but if im in a good mood, I play whatever is the loudest one I can find.

Crushed Hope
02-23-2006, 08:33 PM
Did you ... ahaha, call emo heavy?

I'm generally "smooth" attitude wise, in which I don't ebb towards happy or sad alot.

I listen to very sad music, and very happy music. Go figure.

Lynx
02-23-2006, 08:44 PM
i like the more upbeat rock it makes me want to go jump around like an idiot haha. and yeah i noticed im in my best moods when upbeat music is on.

Yamaneko
02-23-2006, 08:47 PM
Perhaps it's the other way around. One's mood determines what type of music a person listens to. I find that after a long day at work, I like to come home and relax, so I won't put on Opeth or King Crimson. Similarly, if I'm not in a contemplative mood, I won't put on Tangerine Dream or something along those lines. Most of the time, though, I find myself listening to a wide range of musical styles regardless of mood.

Brian The Pink Shark
02-23-2006, 09:25 PM

hehe indeed :choc:

Crushed Hope
02-23-2006, 10:03 PM

Drift
02-23-2006, 10:05 PM
I've noticed a sort-of trend in that people who listen to more 'boppy' music tend to be happier than those who listen to more 'heavy' music. For an example of what each of those is...

I listen to both, but lately I've been listening to a lot of pop and I've noticed that my mood generally improves depending on the upbeat feel of boppier music. I was just wondering if you think that the kind of music people listen to has any kind of influence on them. Note that I'm not talking about lyrics so much as the music itself.

what he said yo'

Captain Maxx Power
02-23-2006, 10:30 PM
Well I feel great when listening to some Machine Head, yet like totally crap when made to listen to the latest dance track. So your theory holds no water. Now if you excuse me, I've gotta go rock out to "Old".

Venom
02-23-2006, 11:28 PM

Not my fault Ratt put backwards messages of sex in there songs.

-N-
02-24-2006, 01:18 AM
Songs are supposed to invoke moods, right? :p

Markus. D
02-24-2006, 02:50 AM

Jpop is great if you want to be in a good mood.

MCR helps me concentrate while doing homework.

Mo-Nercy
02-24-2006, 12:13 PM
I love my all my pop. My western pop, HK-pop, j-pop and c-pop pretty much define who I am. :)

I also have a bit of a thing for the eurobeat stuff in Initial D. :(

Ashi
02-24-2006, 07:08 PM
I think for some people they listen to something based on their mood. I've noticed, though, I whatever I'm working on gets more colourful based on the music I'm listening to.

But I'm probably more cheerful than moody or depressed usually. I think.

Leeza
02-24-2006, 08:41 PM
*deletes posts*

Stay on topic people and that topic is not what/who is metal and what/who is not.

You might be correct, BoB, but I think that the mood that you're in determines what music you listen to. I suppose that if you were really down though and you were forced to listen to boppy music for an extended period of time your mood might improve. Or you just may rip the speakers apart instead. :cat:

jrgen
02-24-2006, 08:48 PM
My mood improves by listening ot either depressing or agressive music. Listening to happy music just makes me annoyed.

Loony BoB
02-24-2006, 09:35 PM
jrgen: Yeah, but I'm talking about the music itself, not the lyrics. I know some sad songs that have the most 'boppy' sound to them.

jrgen
02-24-2006, 10:26 PM
I'm not talking about the lyrics either. I rarely pay attention to lyrics.

Jebus
02-24-2006, 10:32 PM
Music heavily influences my mood. Which is why I try to listen to happier music more often.