PDA

View Full Version : Probably a stupid question...

Carmilla
02-23-2006, 05:49 PM
Ive owned a PS2 for about a year now and just found out that you can speed up the disc speed and increase the smoothness of graphics for its Playstation drivers. These are the options you can change when you start up the PS2 with no disc in it.

Do these things actually do anything? I havent noticed a difference yet...

Told you its probably a stupid question. :mog:

edczxcvbnm
02-23-2006, 06:27 PM
I have not really noticed a difference when I do it. The drive in the PS2 isn't really all that fast to begin with so that doesn't really help you notice the minor differences in load times. Texture Smoothing depends on the game you play and how good the initial textures are to begin with.

Maybe in the PS3 these things will matter more and work better.

Samuraid
02-23-2006, 07:43 PM
PS2 drive speed may make a slight difference in some games. That being said, the drive is only 4X and only when reading the outer edge of the DVD disc at that.

Not sure about texture smoothing, but you should experiment with a few well-known games and see if it does change anything.

o_O
02-23-2006, 09:53 PM
Texture smoothing doesn't have that great an effect on PSX games. The largest difference I've managed to find is the scenery in Gran Turismo 1.

As ed and Sam said, the drive speed doesn't make much difference 'cause it's too close to the PSX speed. One game I have noticed a slight increase in speed in is FFVI. That's the PAL version, not the Anthology version. I wouldn't bother though, the loading times are still <u>horrible</u>. :p