PDA

View Full Version : Should I Get A DS ?

Dreddz
02-23-2006, 07:24 PM
I actually want one now, but I want to know if its really worth it ?
I own a PSP and love it, but I keep hearing these annoucements of games coming out for the DS or GBA that I really really want.
The ones I want most are TOP, FFIII, FFV+VI Advance and Guilty Gear DS.
So, should I ?

ljkkjlcm9
02-23-2006, 07:26 PM
yes, you can wait for DS lite if you want

THE JACKEL

Dreddz
02-23-2006, 07:29 PM
nahhh, Im not putting out extra dosh for a slimmer version.

ljkkjlcm9
02-23-2006, 07:41 PM
nahhh, Im not putting out extra dosh for a slimmer version.

well it's still cheaper than a PSP, and as far as I've heard, they're releasing all sorts of stuff for it that will make it possible to do everything the PSP can do

THE JACKEL

Lychon
02-23-2006, 07:49 PM
Good God YES! Get the lite or go with the Nintendo Micro. I personally like the improved Game Boy Advance SP (with the better screen).

Nintendo POWER BABY!!

-LYCHON

Dreddz
02-23-2006, 07:52 PM
well it's still cheaper than a PSP, and as far as I've heard, they're releasing all sorts of stuff for it that will make it possible to do everything the PSP can do

THE JACKAL
I dought it, the DS was meant for gaming and wasnt built to play various other media. While the PSP can, and the only way the DS could is to open the system up and do whatever they have to do....

Lindy
02-23-2006, 07:57 PM
If you want to play the games on the DS, then get one.

Don't be swayed by anything OTHER than the games.

You'll be buying it to play them, so why should anything else influence your decision?

Dreddz
02-23-2006, 08:01 PM
I only want a DS for the games....

fantasyjunkie
02-23-2006, 08:02 PM
If you want to play the games on the DS, then get one.

Don't be swayed by anything OTHER than the games.

You'll be buying it to play them, so why should anything else influence your decision?

I agree 100%. It all depends on if you want to play the DS games or not. That should be the ONLY factor in your decision. for example, I never bought my xbox till Morrowind came out, I bought my PS2 to play GTA San Andreas, and I bought my gamecube to play Animal Crossing. Just in case anyone wants to know, Animal Crossing is sooooo addictive it's almost evil! ;)

Dreddz
02-23-2006, 08:04 PM
I dont want to own every console, I just get a PS2 and thats it....

KentaRawr!
02-23-2006, 08:06 PM
I would most certainly say so. There are so many games for this thing. n_n I might suggest waiting for the DSlite, but that would mean $20 extra bucks. It really is focussing on removing all those flaws from the original DS... like the positioning of the power button.

Again, I say go for it. It has tons of solid games right now. Some examples would be: Sonic Rush, Mario Kart DS, Advance Wars DS, Castlevania DS, and more. Then there are up-coming games such as Final Fantasy 3, Xenosaga 1+2, Super Mario Bros. DS, and more. Then there is the GBA slot. :p

Yup. Go for it. :D

~SapphireStar~
02-23-2006, 08:10 PM
Ive got a DS and now Im after a PSP for the same reason I love my DS. The fact that they both play any region games and a DS is so much fun, mainly because of the Stylus. Also you can buy the old Gameboy Advance games which is another nice bonus.

Lindy
02-23-2006, 08:10 PM
I only want a DS for the games....
There isn't anything else ON the DS but the games, so what the hell else do you want it for? A handy door-stop?

KentaRawr!
02-23-2006, 08:14 PM
There isn't anything else ON the DS but the games, so what the hell else do you want it for? A handy door-stop?

It works very well as a door-stop, actually.

eestlinc
02-26-2006, 01:29 AM
i hear they are working on web browsing and video wathcing for the DS. but still, buy it for Castlevania alone.

ljkkjlcm9
02-26-2006, 04:30 AM
I dought it, the DS was meant for gaming and wasnt built to play various other media. While the PSP can, and the only way the DS could is to open the system up and do whatever they have to do....

no seriously, the DS has tons of other things coming out for it, from a webbrowser to other things as well.....
http://www.planetgamecube.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=11075
http://www.planetgamecube.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=11092
http://www.planetgamecube.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=11071
http://www.planetgamecube.com/hardArt.cfm?artid=11078

yeah so that stuff.. I hope all those links work, but all those are actual things to be released for the DS

THE JACKEL

Rase
02-26-2006, 04:57 AM
buy it for Castlevania alone.

He speaks the truth.

Anyway, I'd say yes, considering it has a nice variety of games for it specifically, and there are a ton of great GBA games that you can play on it. I only own two actual DS games (Castlevania: DoS and M&L: Partners in Time) and I consider the purchase completely worth it, especially since there are at least five other games I've played and love, but am too poor to buy at the moment.

NeoCracker
02-26-2006, 05:09 AM
I broke down and bought one. ITs worth it. Im having fun with the game Lunar Dragon song.

Doomie
02-26-2006, 05:44 AM
I read this as "Should I get AIDS?"

Shlup
02-26-2006, 06:49 AM
If you can afford it, get it. I feel guilty enough that I've abandoned my GBASP since getting a PSP though. I couldn't bare to have the two competing for space in my purse.

I read this as "Should I get AIDS?"
I did at first glance too. xD

Rengori
02-26-2006, 07:09 AM
Get it. It's much better than a PSP.

Zeldy
02-26-2006, 01:37 PM
like the positioning of the power button.
Many a time Ive gone to pause the game and turned it off :( They look so alike!

I say get a DS or wait for a DSlite.
Or you know, get them both ;) Im so getting the lite. Its like.. even sexier than.. Lauri sex itself!
The DS has some very good games, alot better than all the PSP games, I don't like racing/sports games.
Im currently battling my way through Mario and Luigi Partners In Time (Its so awesome)
But Im a Nintendo Fangirl (Proud of it) so my answer is bias.

Dreddz
02-26-2006, 01:53 PM
Get it. It's much better than a PSP.
I dought it
*plays FFVI*

Rengori
02-26-2006, 05:43 PM
I dought it
*plays FFVI*
I thought the exact same thing before too. And it's spelled 'doubt'.

Dreddz
02-26-2006, 08:45 PM
PSP can buy love more cheaply, I'd have to buy games for my DS for love, PSP is giving it away for free. So I really doubt it is better.
But Im not gonna bitch away at the DS, ive already purchised one of eBay with a Copy of Castlevania so Im happy, my wallet aint :(

Tifa's Real Lover(really
02-26-2006, 08:59 PM
PSP can buy love more cheaply, I'd have to buy games for my DS for love, PSP is giving it away for free. So I really doubt it is better.
But Im not gonna bitch away at the DS, ive already purchised one of eBay with a Copy of Castlevania so Im happy, my wallet aint :(
there giving away free psp games?

Roto13
02-26-2006, 09:06 PM
I love my DS so much. And it IS better than a PSP, assuming you want games more than movies and stuff. Get Kirby Canvas Curse.

Dreddz
02-26-2006, 10:32 PM
there giving away free psp games?
Buy a PSP, get a nes, snes, genesis, GBA, MAME, neogeo CD Free !!!!!!

Maxico
02-26-2006, 10:46 PM
I thought it couldn't do a GBA because of that whole 'ARM 7' thing.

And I have a PSP because the games on PSP appeal to me more. Hell I'll actually throw away my ability to emulate with some of the upcoming games.

So none of this "DS games are just better" nonsense.

Roto13
02-26-2006, 10:47 PM
They are better, though. According to most people, anyway. If you feel differently, have fun with your PSP.

Dreddz
02-26-2006, 10:52 PM
I thought it couldn't do a GBA because of that whole 'ARM 7' thing.
Yeah I heard about that, But it has to of been solved, while GBA emulation isnt 100 % perfect, the recent emu is pretty damn good, lost of games run at 80-90 %.

Maxico
02-26-2006, 10:55 PM
They are better, though. According to most people, anyway. If you feel differently, have fun with your PSP.

Most people don't play video games.

By your logic video games arn't worth playing. Period.

Roto13
02-26-2006, 10:59 PM
Fine, most people who play handheld video games agree. DS is better than PSP for games. Don't pretend you didn't undstand what I said. You're probably not stupid.

Dreddz
02-26-2006, 11:00 PM
*chuckle*

Maxico
02-26-2006, 11:13 PM
I did understand. I simply stated that a majority vote doesn't automatically make it true. It's down to personal opinion, I know plenty of people who prefere the PSP.
I can't see how their opinions can be instantly negated because more people own a DS.

Roto13
02-26-2006, 11:16 PM
Not once did I say that your opinion is negated. Of course there is no absolute truth when it comes to a matter of preference, but most handheld gamers do prefer the DS. This is reflected in sales. Stop trying to pick a fight.

Rostum
02-26-2006, 11:17 PM
Should I get a 30GB video ipod or a DS lite with a few games? :confused:

Roto13
02-26-2006, 11:19 PM
Thats like asking if you should get a computer or an armchair. What do you want to do with it?

Dreddz
02-26-2006, 11:32 PM
Should I get a 30GB video ipod or a DS lite with a few games? :confused:
A PSP can play games and play videos and Movies, win win...

Rostum
02-26-2006, 11:33 PM
Well, I am just asking because I have the option of choosing which B'day present I'd want. I like to play games, but I also like music.

Well, I was more thinking of the DS due to it probably getting a bit more use. I have a cd player in my car so I have music anywhere whenever I got out, and I have a really good sound system set up at home.

I just don't really know what would be more worth for my money? I mean, the iPod's (any model) seem pretty much very expensive and not that worth it (I'm guessing iRiver or something could be better?).

Roto13
02-27-2006, 12:09 AM
Personally, I'd rather have the DS.

ljkkjlcm9
02-27-2006, 01:34 AM
and like the links I posted say, there are things being released for the DS, where you download music/movies to it, and play it on your DS.....

THE JACKEL

Death Penalty
02-27-2006, 01:47 AM
Quick question are there emus and roms for the DS

Roto13
02-27-2006, 02:02 AM
Game Boy and Game Boy Color. I believe there is also a SNES one, but it sucks or something.

Maxico
02-27-2006, 06:24 PM
Not once did I say that your opinion is negated. Of course there is no absolute truth when it comes to a matter of preference, but most handheld gamers do prefer the DS. This is reflected in sales. Stop trying to pick a fight.

Pick a fight? I simply objected to you stating that the DS is better as a fact which you did on several occasions. You've been alot more hostile than I have.

And I'm interested in how the DS can run emulators without anything to store them on. Does it require a third party cartrige or something?

And Omecle, it sounds like you have more than enough sound equipment. If it's going to get more use I would go with the DS.

Endless
02-27-2006, 07:02 PM
Just for the record (as of Feb 19th 2006):

USA
DS: 3,975,883
PSP: 3,812,864

Japan
DS: 5,998,754
PSP: 2,993,115

Europe
DS:3,600,000
PSP:2,400,000

Dreddz
02-27-2006, 07:12 PM
Europe
DS:3,600,000
PSP:2,400,000
Well, Sony were assholes and released the PSP in September last year, that was a massive delay, and thus, People got bored of waiting and got a DS. Most people sorta dislike the PSP as its very expensive, ya it is. But come on, the PSP can do so much that the DS cant, so much more.....

Oh But the DS will have a web browser, blah blah blah
The PSP will be able to play TV soon, and it'll have a web browser, and Sony are getting more into the online options so WiFi will crumble....

Maxico
02-27-2006, 08:07 PM
I don't think the delay did much to sales. The PSP was the fastest selling console in the UK, ever, during it's first days. And I can vouch for how amazingly difficult it was to track one down around it's launch days.

And I'm not too sure how well the DS will cope with web browsing. The PSP has much more memory and I've actually ran out of memory, browsing very image intensive sites.

a nirvana fan
02-27-2006, 09:21 PM
Nah you dont wanna get a DS, get a PSP, you can do tons more with them *cough homebrew, hacks, and other programmes cough* and it has way better games too.

Roto13
02-27-2006, 09:23 PM
Nah you dont wanna get a DS, get a PSP, you can do tons more with them *cough homebrew, hacks, and other programmes cough* and it has way better games too.
Many people consider that to be it's biggest downfall, actually. Subjective.

Dreddz
02-27-2006, 09:38 PM
Errrrrmmm, Tekken arriving for the PSP !!!!
Oh, and games like Street fighter are already on it ahem, oh and Wipeout, and some decent RPG's will soon arrive on it soon, games are not its downfall.....

Tifa's Real Lover(really
02-27-2006, 09:41 PM
tekken sucks balls its not really much of a good fighting game, although part 3 was pretty good

Roto13
02-27-2006, 09:42 PM
DS has Street Fighter (Well, GBA Street Fighter) and some pretty good RPGs, too, you know.

Dreddz
02-27-2006, 09:43 PM
tekken sucks balls its not really much of a good fighting game, although part 3 was pretty good
Thats just your opinion, Obviously Tekken does not suck balls as its the most successful fighter.........ever...

Roto13
02-27-2006, 09:47 PM
And DS is the most successful handheld right now. Look at that.

Dreddz
02-27-2006, 09:50 PM
People only went for the DS as Nintendo owns Handheld gaming. Most handheld systems wouldnt be able to hold up to Nintendo, so Sony has done pretty good with the PSP.
Sony will soon become more popular, and I gurantee Sony will own Handheld gaming like its owns Console.

Roto13
02-27-2006, 09:51 PM
Not going to happen with that defective thing.

Dreddz
02-27-2006, 09:53 PM
How is the PSP defective, Had mine since the Japanese launch and It still works great, I think a few PSP's may of lost a few pixels at first, but Nintendo fanboys claimed it was like every PSP, when it wasnt.

Roto13
02-27-2006, 09:54 PM
It is almost every one of them. If you get one that doesn't have any, you're extremely lucky. Don't forget that they won't fix them. If a DS has one dead pixel, Nintendo fixes it.

Dreddz
02-27-2006, 09:55 PM
Well, There You go, my statement was true.

Maxico
02-27-2006, 10:27 PM
It is almost every one of them. If you get one that doesn't have any, you're extremely lucky. Don't forget that they won't fix them. If a DS has one dead pixel, Nintendo fixes it.

Nintendo doesn't fix it, they simply replace it. And that only means that Sony won't replace it, most shops will.

And you know what? Console wars between fanboys suck.
I've been trying to keep a neutral stance in this despite owning a PSP but you're really getting on my nerves.
You don't like the PSP, we get that. It doesn't mean that you have to remind us at every oppitunity.

Rostum
02-27-2006, 10:50 PM
I have been looking at the PSP too, and the games don't look as fun (mind you I'm buying a hand held for the games, not to play music or watch movies as I have things that already do that).

The DS lite comes out on the 3rd of March in Japan (I will probably just get the white or blue one), can I import it and change its menus to english -- and able to play games from Australia and America?

Roto13
02-27-2006, 11:02 PM
I'm not entirely sure about the menu language, but I know DS's aren't region specific. Neither are PSPs, for games.

Dreddz
02-27-2006, 11:02 PM
I guess its a matter of what games your into. Ive never been into the Big Nintendo franchises ( Mario etc ) so all the decent games I wouldnt be much into.
That said, theres still some games that are decent that I want, thats why my DS should be in the post tomorrow. Castlevania has already arrived in the post * gazes at the box art*

Rostum
02-27-2006, 11:05 PM
Yeah, the castlevania game looks amazing.

You guys know where I could find out that information?

escobert
02-27-2006, 11:11 PM
I think they both look good, I haven't checked out the games much since I doubt I'll get one (I have a advance that I hardly use)

Endless
03-01-2006, 10:10 PM
The DS lite comes out on the 3rd of March in Japan (I will probably just get the white or blue one), can I import it and change its menus to english -- and able to play games from Australia and America?

Yes (http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3808&lsaid=219793).