PDA

View Full Version : Why Do Us In The UK Import ?

Dreddz
02-23-2006, 10:55 PM
http://www.ntsc-uk.com/tech.php?tech=WhyImportVideogames
I hope all you sods in US read this and appreciate living there.
This is the cold hard truth......

Tifa's Real Lover(really
02-23-2006, 11:04 PM
chill, get a plane ticket

vampirepiggyhunter7
02-23-2006, 11:13 PM
Jeez... Sorry about that, it's not my fault. Please don't stereotype Americans either...

DK
02-23-2006, 11:21 PM
Everything on that list apart from the two last games is on sale in my local games shop. And it's not a Game or EB, it's Stan's games, he's just a random guy with a games shop. I say, "what"

~SapphireStar~
02-23-2006, 11:34 PM
chill, get a plane ticket
You going to pay for all the sufferers in the UK then?! Im waiting ...
And I had Animal Crossing for the GC, I got rid of it. My shop sells Gran Turismo 4 Prologue.

edczxcvbnm
02-24-2006, 12:26 AM
Sorry but you guys don't count as a separate entity as the article would have you believe. You are not the 5th largest gaming market in the world. You are part of the third which is Europe. If you want to get with the times that much more then you have to eliminate PAL. End of story.

MecaKane
02-24-2006, 02:20 AM
Oh get over it.
Blame the damn people who decided your whole continent was going to use crappy TVs. It costs money to change the games over and that's what they look at, will this make enough money to cover the cost of the optimization and languages and whatever else.

Lindy
02-24-2006, 02:30 AM
Actually, UK TV's now support NTSC, and if you don't have one then you should concentrate on getting one of those first before even THINKING about games.

Secondly, PAL consoles can support NTSC signals, the EU version of Metroid Prime 2 and Geist on the GC were 60hz only games, straight out copies of the US NTSC version.

They don't even HAVE to change it to PAL to release them over here, it's not always down to the cost of converting a game, it's that we're not even damned considered as "RPG players", and Sony is certainly one of the major players that straight out ignore Europe when it comes to certain types of games.

Ever wonder why stuff like Baten Kaitos (made by Namco and Monolith Soft) found a release in the UK but Xenosaga (same companies) did not? Because Baten Kaitos was on the Gamecube and Xenosaga on the PS2.

"lolz u eu ppl play rts, kk?"

MecaKane
02-24-2006, 02:39 AM
They don't even HAVE to change it to PAL to release them over here,
That's like saying they don't HAVE to release XBox360 games that will still work on non-HDTVs. PAL is the offical format and untill that changes they have to keep optimizing them.

Lindy
02-24-2006, 02:50 AM
Except that TV's here support NTSC and so don't need to be in PAL format?

Seriously, it's been like that for like, years now, the only way it won't is if you have an ancient TV; it's hardly comparable to HDTV.

And I'd hardly call changing it to PAL "optimizing" when they reduce the quality and speed.

Obsidian
02-24-2006, 04:22 AM
I can think of ONE time the UK got a better game release deal.

There is an obscure action RPG on the Sega Saturn called Shining Wisdom. The US got a crappy translation, while the UK got one with more TLC.

Well... It matters if you like the game enough. ;_;

Kawaii Ryûkishi
02-24-2006, 04:26 AM
Europe also got ICO with the good cover art and all the extra features like the lightsaber, two player mode, translated subtitles for Yorda, and the watermelon ending.

Rase
02-24-2006, 06:03 AM
Yes, because videogames are what make me appreciate living where I do.

edczxcvbnm
02-24-2006, 02:47 PM
Except that TV's here support NTSC and so don't need to be in PAL format?

Seriously, it's been like that for like, years now, the only way it won't is if you have an ancient TV; it's hardly comparable to HDTV.

And I'd hardly call changing it to PAL "optimizing" when they reduce the quality and speed.

Have TVs supported NTSC over there for the past 15 years on all new models? If not then shut up about it. Before you can completely can PAL a lot of time has to pass so that people can get TVs so that making the switch is not noticible and affects no one.

In my house we still have a TV that works...from like...1984 or earlier? I have not known my life with out it and it still works 20 years later. If it ain't broke then don't fix it.

Even though PAL is worse it is still optimizing it for PAL only TVs. Since PAL is the standard.

Zeldy
02-24-2006, 02:54 PM
Yeah, and?
Sometimes you can really drop on a bargain when you Import. 'Play Asia' is a nice site to Import from.
I didn't though, I payed £160 for my DS(+ Game) which was Imported from Japan. A few days (Yes DAYS) later the DS got released here in the UK for only £100. So I was -£60 :p

But I have to admit, it is quite unfair how people in the US and Japan are playing a video game that people in the UK anxiously waiting for.
My brother has imported Mario and Luigi Partners In Time and Animal Crossing (For the DS) They are great games. Animal Crossing dosn't come out till.. March? Yay for having a Nintendo Fan-boy as a brother!

Lindy
02-24-2006, 02:56 PM
Have TVs supported NTSC over there for the past 15 years on all new models? If not then shut up about it. Before you can completely can PAL a lot of time has to pass so that people can get TVs so that making the switch is not noticible and affects no one.

In my house we still have a TV that works...from like...1984 or earlier? I have not known my life with out it and it still works 20 years later. If it ain't broke then don't fix it.

Even though PAL is worse it is still optimizing it for PAL only TVs. Since PAL is the standard.
Way to miss the point.

Giving up on PAL for GAMES.

I bought a TV two years ago, it supports NTSC and it cost £50; the same TV now would probably be about £30, which is about £5 less than a brand new game, in fact you could probably get a better model for LESS. If a person can afford games, but can't get a better TV to view them, then you don't see a problem with that? And as far as I know, consoles now make use of SCART or AV cables, which most old TVs don't even support.

It's impossible to give up on PAL entirely because our ELECTRICITY runs on 50hz, we'd have to change the entire network to switch to NTSC, but releasing games straight from America in 60hz NTSC format would be without a problem because it's only the signal from the console to the TV.

edczxcvbnm
02-24-2006, 03:17 PM
SCART must be some sort of retarded British thing also. I have never heard of it.

Before I had a TV with AV I ran my stuff through the VCR. I don't see a problem with them not getting a 'better' TV to view them when their TV displays everything else fine. Since PAL is the standard that is what should be used. Argue all you want. I have the ultimate word at my disposal. Standard and everything should meet the Standard.

And I used my VCR to plug in my PS2 when I first got it, but then I actually moved into the 21st 20th century.

Lindy
02-24-2006, 03:36 PM
Except the STANDARD (your lovely buzz word) for all TVs in the UK now is to support NTSC as well as PAL.

Funny that.

You're entirely missing the point that all these games never released in EU CAN easily be released because they don't NEED to be converted into PAL, as Metroid Prime 2, for example, as well as PS2 games like Killzone were in 60hz; it's not a matter of money, these games could be released here cheaply as they don't need conversion, just for some godawful unknown reason they're not.

And I used my VCR to plug in my PS2 when I first got it, but then I actually moved into the 21st century.

edczxcvbnm
02-24-2006, 04:52 PM
Standard is not a buzz word. Supporting NTSC may have become a standard but it is still not THE standard yet. It is on its way but not there yet.

If it is so damn cheap as you say then why doesn't most of England complain to these companys to be included in the North American Territory. You guys speak english which is why I never really understood you guys not getting everything we get because there should be ZERO localization costs. The only thing I could figure out was distribution and unwillingness to convert to PAL.

I would call the few games that have been released as NTSC only test market games to see how well they sell and complaints recieved from the average consumer about them if any. How long have NTSC only games been released and how many?

Dreddz
02-24-2006, 04:57 PM
The fact remains that we get Games far too late and when they come, its usually has big black borders making the games worse the play here. And not all games support 60 hz so it dosent matter most of the time if you have a 60 hz TV.
DDS isnt even out here yet and I believe we are getting it later this year. And we got Xenosaga epi II a year late without even being able to play the first because it wasnt released here.
Games made in the UK are released State side first. The Getaway was a game that was actually based on London yet the US got it before us ?

edczxcvbnm
02-24-2006, 05:19 PM
DDS? Dolby Digital Surroundsound?

Maxico
02-24-2006, 05:29 PM
Oh get over it.
Blame the damn people who decided your whole continent was going to use crappy TVs. It costs money to change the games over and that's what they look at, will this make enough money to cover the cost of the optimization and languages and whatever else.

What exactly makes PAL crappy? You can barely notice a difference between 25 and 30 frames per second.

starseeker
02-24-2006, 05:36 PM
I was under the impression that NTSC is a crappy system and that it is easier to convert films for PAL (they don't have to). Plus France uses another different system called SECAM. NTSC uses less lines than PAL which is why FFX had black strips top and bottom even though it was a small TV.

Dreddz
02-24-2006, 06:10 PM
DDS? Dolby Digital Surroundsound?
Digital Devil Saga
PAL is crappy because There are less FPS so games will have fat borders top and bottem...

edczxcvbnm
02-24-2006, 06:19 PM
http://nickyguides.digital-digest.com/interlace.htm

This is all the information that you could ever want to know about NTSC, PAL and everything to do with how they produce their pictures.

I choose more FPS as opposed to the barely noticible more scan lines.

HDTV(if it is universally adopted) would solve everyone's problems and create one universal format.

MecaKane
02-24-2006, 08:02 PM
The fact remains that we get Games far too late and when they come, its usually has big black borders making the games worse the play here. And not all games support 60 hz so it dosent matter most of the time if you have a 60 hz TV.
DDS isnt even out here yet and I believe we are getting it later this year. And we got Xenosaga epi II a year late without even being able to play the first because it wasnt released here.
Games made in the UK are released State side first. The Getaway was a game that was actually based on London yet the US got it before us?
Yes, that's quite a tragidy. What do you want us to do about it?

Dreddz
02-24-2006, 08:04 PM
Yes, that's quite a tragidy. What do you want us to do about it?
To Be aware, I hear Americans Bitch about stuff not being released in your country, Honestly, your better off than most.....

MecaKane
02-24-2006, 08:16 PM
Guess what.
In Iraq they probably don't get as many video games as you. And also a whole bunch of people get killed every day.

You should want things to come out in america too, because then at least you can import english versions.

Rye
02-24-2006, 08:21 PM
I agree with Kane.

http://www.ntsc-uk.com/tech.php?tech=WhyImportVideogames
I hope all you sods in US read this and appreciate living there.
This is the cold hard truth......

I woke up yesterday and I decided that since I'm American, I'm going to postpone games for Europe, then go to McDonalds in my Hummer. I'm sorry. xD

But seriously, normal everyday Americans don't decide that stuff, COMPANIES do, so really, chill out. I'm sorry your games don't get released fast enough, that sucks and you have a right to be annoyed, but it's not the fault of everyday Americans, so don't blame us. :)

NM
02-24-2006, 08:36 PM
SCART must be some sort of retarded British thing also. I have never heard of it.

This sentance really annoys me.

Just because you havn't heard of something dosn't make it retarded. And just because somethings not used in the good old "US of A" dosn't make it retarded either. I'm sure you can make a point without having to resort to insulting people!

As for the topic. The UK is not seen as a seperate territory when it comes to games release's. So it's a case of if the rest of Europe don't get it, we don't get it. It's annoying having to wait for games to be released but I can't see it ever changing. Unless someone release's a region free console, we'll just have to wait for games or import them.

edczxcvbnm
02-24-2006, 10:34 PM
This sentance really annoys me.

Just because you havn't heard of something dosn't make it retarded. And just because somethings not used in the good old "US of A" dosn't make it retarded either. I'm sure you can make a point without having to resort to insulting people!

1) Yes it does.
2) I insulted no one.
3) England sucks

XD

Rengori
02-24-2006, 10:44 PM
3) England suck
Suck what?

~SapphireStar~
02-24-2006, 10:45 PM
I insulted no one.
You have insulted the British members of this forum! Of course youve insulted people.

Dreddz
02-24-2006, 10:58 PM
3) England suck
I take it you want conflict, but why, seeing as you will lose hopelessly seeing as You Live in America.

Shoeberto
02-24-2006, 11:47 PM
Guys, stop this whole "My country could beat up your country!" thing or I'll close this thread.

Rye
02-24-2006, 11:48 PM
Guys, stop this whole "My country could beat up your country!" thing or I'll close this thread.

Amen, Brother Hsu. Preach it.

Kawaii Ryûkishi
02-24-2006, 11:50 PM
Getting back on-topic, our analog television system kicks your analog television system's ass all over the place.

edczxcvbnm
02-25-2006, 12:50 AM
Getting back on-topic, our analog television system kicks your analog television system's ass all over the place.

FUCK YEAH!

vampirepiggyhunter7
02-25-2006, 12:53 AM
What exactly is PAL, again?

edczxcvbnm
02-25-2006, 12:53 AM
http://nickyguides.digital-digest.com/interlace.htm

Maxico
02-25-2006, 01:02 AM
Shame we don't have anybody French to go totally SECAM on yo' ass.

But yeah, you're not going to get any sympathy for not being able to buy certain games.

Hikoshi
03-04-2006, 01:48 PM
I live in England, and I'm fed up of waiting for games, so you know what I'm going to do? I'm going to buy myself a new tv which supports NTSC, and then I'm going to import everything...works out around the same price anyway, sometimes even cheaper.

Seriously, if your going to complain about something, complain about Tony Blair, or the Queen.

KentaRawr!
03-05-2006, 12:14 PM
It's a shame, really. However, you still can import, so you have that going for you... I guess. But with the whole TV thing, it's probably a bit harder to do that. o_o I acknowledge that you don't get as many games as we do, but I'd say we still have the right to complain when a game doesn't come out in our country. Just like you do. :luigi:

crono_logical
03-07-2006, 08:09 PM
I import over my internet connection :kaoplain: