PDA

View Full Version : The planets

Nick Schovitz
02-24-2006, 12:02 AM
Out of all the ffs I've played which are, iV,VII,VIII,IX,X, and X-2, I've only heard the neme of the planets in IX and X. So then what are the names of the planet you play on in VII, VIII, IV and any others that you know?

Oh yeah, you could also put in the dates too, if you wish.

Ashley Schovitz
02-24-2006, 12:22 AM
Yeah I would really like to know too.

Crossblades
02-24-2006, 12:31 AM
I would assume that I - VIII took place on earth

XI's planet is Vanadiel

Such Great Heights
02-24-2006, 12:37 AM
I believe Bugenhagen calls the planet "Earth" in VII.

Tempest
02-24-2006, 12:45 AM
FuSoYa called it the Blue Planet in FFIV. At least in SNES version.

Masamune·1600
02-24-2006, 01:16 AM
FFs I-III do not not reveal the names of their respective planets.

FFIV takes place on Earth.

FuSoYa: In eons past, a planet between Mars and Jupiter verged on
extinction. The survivors escaped by ship to the blue planet.

Cecil: The blue planet...? Our home?

FuSoYa: Yes, Earth. But because the people of Earth were still
evolving, the survivors created another moon, where they now sleep.

Cecil: The Lunarians?

FuSoYa: Many, many years ago, a small planet between Mars and Jupiter was on
the verge of destruction. Species of the planet escaped on a ship to the blue
planet, Earth. However, the species was still evolving, and created another
moon where they could sleep a long, long slumber.

No specific planet name appears in FFV, but the OAV "sequel," Legend of the Crystals, calls it Planet R.

FFVI does not give the name of the planet.

No specific name appears in FFVII, but later SE documents, particularly those relating to Advent Children, call it Gaia.

FFVIII does not give the name the planet.

FFs IX, X, and X-2 you already know.

FFXI takes place on Vana'diel.

DJZen
02-24-2006, 01:28 AM
FFXII takes place in Ivalice.

Tempest
02-24-2006, 01:37 AM
Hey, Masamune·1600. I said in the SNES version meaning FF II in America. Yeesh. :p

Masamune·1600
02-24-2006, 01:43 AM
Hey, Masamune·1600. I said in the SNES version meaning FF II in America. Yeesh. :p

Obviously. Even then, it was still Earth, although the capitalization is a little off.

FuSoYa: Yes. Millennia ago, the planet between Mars and Jupiter was about to
be shattered. The people who survived this calamity escaped by ships and
headed for the Blue Planet.

Cecil: The blue planet?

FuSoYa: Your land earth. However, the people of the earth were still in the
process of evolution. Thus they created another moon and kept sleeping.

All versions refer to it descriptively as the "blue planet," but that would be somewhat akin to suggesting the official name of Mars is the "red planet."

Tempest
02-24-2006, 01:48 AM
Yeah, true. But, Blue Planet does sound a bit cooler then regular old earth. Well, maybe not.

Dreddz
02-24-2006, 06:43 PM
FFIX is Gaia

DMKA
02-24-2006, 08:17 PM
FFVII took place on Earth, as Supernova showed us.

Masamune·1600
02-26-2006, 03:23 AM
FFVII took place on Earth, as Supernova showed us.

Official SE materials refer to the planet of FFVII as Gaia.

Llednar Twem
02-26-2006, 04:19 AM
FFXII takes place in Ivalice.
Ivalis isn't a planet.

DMKA
02-26-2006, 07:17 AM
And the game says Earth. I'll go by what I see, thanks.

Rengori
02-26-2006, 07:24 AM
But they still called it Earth in the game. Smart move Square.

Slade
02-26-2006, 09:50 AM
I'm pretty sure 'Gaia' and 'Earth' are one in the same.....

Dreddz
02-26-2006, 12:00 PM
FFVII is called Gaia, but it is called Earth in the game. Odd, but we call our Planet Earth and World....

six underground
02-26-2006, 12:13 PM
the Planet? :)

Masamune·1600
02-26-2006, 03:24 PM
Final Fantasy VII never explicitly refers to Gaia as Earth. In fact, the planet is generally called...the Planet.

There are two instances during the game where "earth" is referenced (as opposed to dozens of references to "the planet"), although in both cases "earth" can be taken to have an alternate meaning, the "land surface of the world."

Given that the Planet is never in any way explicitly named in FFVII, it doesn't make sense to argue with the attachment of Gaia to it, particularly when it presumably reflects the intent of the creators all along.

DMKA
02-26-2006, 04:54 PM
Final Fantasy VII never explicitly refers to Gaia as Earth. In fact, the planet is generally called...the Planet.

There are two instances during the game where "earth" is referenced (as opposed to dozens of references to "the planet"), although in both cases "earth" can be taken to have an alternate meaning, the "land surface of the world."

Given that the Planet is never in any way explicitly named in FFVII, it doesn't make sense to argue with the attachment of Gaia to it, particularly when it presumably reflects the intent of the creators all along.
Have you ever played FFVII? If so, did you fight the final boss? It flat out shows the planet and says "Earth" next to the planet, right after it shows all the other planets in our solar system with their names next to them. I don't think it could be any clearer than that.

Also Aeris' third limit break. =p

Masamune·1600
02-26-2006, 08:53 PM
Actually, your memory of the Super Nova spell is a little off. Not every planet is specifically named; this is true of Gaia. The Super Nova spell can't even fully confirm that Gaia exists in a solar system identical to ours (although I would accept that much), because the Super Nova spell is illusory (if Safer casts it again, the same animation will occur, including the destruction of already annihilated planets, not to mention the fact that our sun lacks the necessary mass to go supernova). Super Nova was never meant to establish any specific fact about the game; it was meant to look cool, which it accomplished, and arguably embody certain symbolic elements.

Aeris' first Level 2 Limit Break is indeed called "Breath of the Earth," which is probably the strongest piece of evidence for the planet being named Earth. However, I sincerely doubt that the name was meant to be any sort of real commentary on the game, particularly when the phrase "breath of the earth" has frequently been used to imply the idea of life (which would relate well to Aeris' healing Limits). As always, there is a distinct gap between gameplay and story elements, and using spell names as proof of anything is difficult.

Moreover, you're ignoring the fact that the official word from SE states that the planet of FFVII is named Gaia. Even if the original intent was for the planet to be "Earth" (which can't really be argued for), the name has been fully and officially retconned to Gaia. Sorry about that.