PDA

View Full Version : Do you have to pay to Sample?

MJN SEIFER
02-24-2006, 07:42 PM
I know that singer have to pay if they want to cover a song, but do they have to if they want to sample?

Shoeberto
02-24-2006, 08:03 PM
Not that I'm aware.

Record companies tried to make it required a few years ago when DJ Danger Mouse released the Grey Album for free, which liberally used samples from both Jay-Z's Black Album and The Beatles' White Album, but ultimately Danger Mouse came out on top and wasn't sued for anything.

Stayin Dizzy
02-24-2006, 09:02 PM
sampling is free. I make rap music and theres 2 songs I did that have samples in them. Ones you really start listening to music you realize how much musicians sample. burn one down (ben harper) was an exact guitar riff from a hendrix song, just to name one and rap samples so much its crazy. and dont get me started on techno. if your making music dont feel bad for sampleing. but remember thats what it is, sampleing. dont steal a whole beat, but if you hear a piano bit or a few notes of a guitar or even a certain sound you think might remind some1 of a specific song, feel no guilt.

lyrics on the other hand you have to pay to sample only if your SELLING copies of the cd

MJN SEIFER
02-24-2006, 10:46 PM
Ok thanks.

Captain Maxx Power
02-25-2006, 12:16 AM
I know that singer have to pay if they want to cover a song, but do they have to if they want to sample?

Not in this life, but they've made a special thirteenth level of hell for R'N'B and dance artists who "sample" songs without credit. The guys in level twelve (boy bands) get to go toilet on them.