PDA

View Full Version : "Don Tonberry Trick"?

Zeromus_X
02-25-2006, 02:52 AM
So...can someone explain this "Don Tonberry Trick"? I have him as an option in the Monster Arena (who I can't kill.. I don't want to use my Doors to Tommorow :eep: ), but I've heard of an AP trick involving him. What is it exactly? :cat:

BG-57
02-25-2006, 03:34 AM
1) Fight One-Eyes, which drop weapons with Triple AP. BDL weapons and Auto-Haste make this much easier. Repeat until you have enough weapons for the characters you want. Save the ones with two extra slots.

2) Customize them with Overdrive -> AP and Triple Overdrive. You'll now have super AP-gaining weapons!

3) Customize armor with at least Auto-Pheonix.

4) Set the battle party's Overdrives to Ally (Overdrive fills when allies take damage).

5) Take on Don Tonberry. He'll counterattack with one-hit kills, but only one character at a time and Auto-Pheonix should take care of it. The more damage his counterattacks do, the more AP the surviving allies get.

Zeromus_X
02-25-2006, 03:42 AM
I see! Thanks! But...how do I get Auto-Phoenix, Auto-Haste, and more Doors to Tommorow? (Besides bribing, as I'm super poor.)

BG-57
02-25-2006, 03:50 AM
Auto Pheonix: 20 Mega Pheonix (get 99 for unlocking the bird species creation)
Auto-Haste: 80 Chocobo Wings (get 99 for defeating one of each kind of monster on Thunder Plains)
Overdrive -> AP: 10 Doors to Tomorrow (get 99 for conquoring 6 areas completely)
Triple Overdrive: 30 Winning Formula (get 99 for for conquoring all areas)

Actually getting Gil for bribing isn't hard once you get Godhand. It has Gillionnaire as an ability. In Omega Ruins, you can get 50,000 Gil for every Mimic you defeat. With Godhand, it jumps to 100,000 Gil.

The other monsters in Omega Ruins are easy to defeat once you know how to exploit their weaknesses.

Come to think of it, you won't need to bribe for more Doors to Tomorrow, since you can customize up to 9 weapons with Overdrive -> AP.

Rhi
02-25-2006, 02:46 PM
yeah, but you have to complete the Godhand first. it takes a while, chasing those evil, wierd little Cactuars...

Lost Number
02-25-2006, 02:47 PM
I just use doubles if im in a hurry. And you can make yer own Gillionaire weapon by capturing all the Omega dungeon fiends.

Zeromus_X
02-25-2006, 10:18 PM
I got the Godhand yesterday, and it does help. (It wasn't that hard to get. At least I don't have to get a 0:0:00 or worse...play Blitzball ><'; )

I also bribed the Machea for 50 or so Chocobo Wings Twice. I'll have to do it again though..

I've been messing up , and only have about 8 Doors from the ones I got from Ultima Weapon (I only got 30, then accidently killed it.. :eep: )

I'll just do the area conquests then. Thanks! :cat:

BG-57
02-25-2006, 10:28 PM
Sure thing. Let me know how it goes with the Don. ;)

Zeromus_X
02-25-2006, 10:36 PM
Well, I've always gained about 5 or 6 sphere levels before, but most guides say I can easily max out my sphere levels to 99. Of course, I only clumsily made one weapon with Overdrive -> AP, so that may be why it doesn't work. Plus he always walks up to me, so I flee, but I'm not sure if that'll work..meh. I'll just do all this stuff :cat:

BG-57
02-25-2006, 10:43 PM
Tonberries are intimidating but be aware that they can't do any move that can wipe out your entire party at once. They can only kill one character off at a time. That why Auto-Pheonix with a plentiful supply of Pheonix Downs virtually guarantees that you will beat them. :tonberry: :shoot:

Sain Cai
02-25-2006, 10:51 PM
Bah, this trick is for those too lazy to level like the rest of us :p

Zeromus_X
02-25-2006, 10:54 PM
Tonberries are intimidating but be aware that they can't do any move that can wipe out your entire party at once. They can only kill one character off at a time. That why Auto-Pheonix with a plentiful supply of Pheonix Downs virtually guarantees that you will beat them. :tonberry: :shoot:

And get gastronomical AP too! :p

No, but I always have like 99 Phoenix Downs, so I once I get all this stuff, I'll be set.

It's easier to move characters through the Sphere Grid this way, isn't it? :cat:

Zeromus_X
02-26-2006, 03:20 AM
Double posted for visibility.

So, is "One Eye" in the Arena, or a normal enemy :confused: Or do you need to capture all the "Floating Eyeball" type of enemies to get him? (The guy who drops Triple AP weapons), because other than that and Mega Phoenixes, I have almost everything to begin customizing three people or so.

Lost Number
02-26-2006, 01:15 PM
Yes, he is a monster arena Floating Eye. Capture all o them to get him.

Zeromus_X
02-28-2006, 12:49 AM
Okay, wow, I tried this trick, and was amazed when I got a million and a half AP about. Yuna gained like 75 sphere levels :eek:

Sheezus, I'm going to do this for all my characters! I'll just go have Anima slaughter "One-Eye", and get all those weapons for everyone! Thanks everyone for helping me; even if this makes leveling up a joke :p

rubah
02-28-2006, 01:08 AM
The funny thing is that once you do that trick long enough and have the weapons, you can go kill one eye in pretty much one hit.