PDA

View Full Version : Oaka's

mooglebunni608
02-25-2006, 03:21 PM
Ok, so i just Lent that annoying merchant dude 500 gil. Was that a waste of money or does he give it back in some way? *i'm wicked poor fyi*

Lost Number
02-25-2006, 03:31 PM
Give him alot of money, and get cheap stuff later.

mooglebunni608
02-25-2006, 05:14 PM
Ah thank you :p

Tavrobel
02-25-2006, 05:33 PM
Since you gave him money, there are both short term and long term benefits to to his wares. Until Mi'ihen Highroad, his prices will be expensive/cheap in proportion to the amount of money you give him. After that, his prices will drop so he can help supply the people at Mi'ihen, where he sells unique weapons, including a very valuable TKO for Wakka which bears the Stone-Attack customized for Wakka. After that, his prices will drop again, when you find him in Guadosalam, where he sells Thunder-Ward/Proof equipment cheaper than the vendors at Guadosalam. After this, when you find his brother at Mt. Gagazet, Wantz sells restorative items, and some semi-useful equipment. After the battle with Sin, O'aka will have been arrested, and you find him at the Movie Theatre in Luca. Speak to him, and Wantz will be selling Tetra equipment in the Thunder Plains entrance of Macalania.

Investment for restorative items, these costs change for each area you find him (so his prices will be different in Mushroom Rock, than as if you found him in Mi'ihen.)
1-500gil, 2.0x cost of vendors
501-1000, 1.7x
1001-9999, 1.5x
10k+, .9x

The prices listed here will get you the MINIMUM prices as can be allowed at a time, and these numbers are only affected by lending money. There is another requirement, which reduces his prices based on items purchased/money lent. This number is something like 25,656 gil.
His prices are cheaper only if you buy alot of stuff from him, also selling your wares to him while he is selling cheaper items will result in your items having a lower resale value, but NOT a higher resale value if you sell items to him while having higher prices than normal vendors. This means "buy from O'aka, but never sell to".

The Tetra equipment at the end of the game has 4 customizable slots, for all 7 characters' weapons and armor, unlike what Rin sells, which has either +10% magic/strength, but the same name. Tetra equipment is also dropped from Creations at the Monster Arena.

Since you are poor, all you REALLY need to do is stop buying ANY restorative items from ANYONE. Investing 500 to O'aka is enough until you get more money. Giving him money only HELPS the 10k requirement, but its only use is to give him money if he has nothing worth selling. You can lend him money on the two boats, and one last time on the Mi'ihen Oldroad. After this, buying items is the only way to help his prices.

Dell
03-03-2006, 02:17 PM
gives 1001 gil for 50% discount for you

boys from the dwarf
03-03-2006, 05:20 PM
i think it 10001 not 1001. and i think it makes his prives 0.7 usual price and not 0.5 but im not too sure about my last statement

Fatal Impurity
03-03-2006, 05:34 PM
lol oaka seems like a bit of a waste then...right? or will the investment be worth it?

McLovin'
03-03-2006, 05:37 PM
He sells the best items in the game. Invest. Save. Buy.
Just like Geico.

TheSpoonyBard
03-03-2006, 06:43 PM
0-100 gil = 2.0x normal cost
101-1,000 gil = 1.5x normal cost
1,001-10,000 gil = 1.2x normal cost
10,001+ gil = 0.7x normal cost

He's worth it if you pay him 10,001+ very early on. The weapons he sells are very useful e.g. Stunning Steel, Avenger.

Tavrobel
03-03-2006, 09:13 PM
Stunning Steel, Avenger, TKO with stonetouch...
And thanks for the correction on the vendor donations.

lol oaka seems like a bit of a waste then...right? or will the investment be worth it?

He sells better items for cheaper, especially when in Guadosalam. The prices there are based on O'aka's current money given, so they will always be higher than his, unless you did not invest. He also sells Tetra Equipment for all seven characters at the end of the game, 100k each, but worth every penny, if you are one of those crazy OCDs who do everything, and find the PERFECT armor set-ups, like me.
They look something like this...

-customizable slot
-" "
-" "
-" "

SeeDRankLou
03-03-2006, 09:38 PM
Yeah, unless you level up like crazy, the only way I've found to knock the Chocobo Eater off the cliff is with the Stunning Steel. And for this reason alone O'aka is worth the investment.

Tavrobel
03-03-2006, 10:09 PM
Yeah, unless you level up like crazy, the only way I've found to knock the Chocobo Eater off the cliff is with the Stunning Steel. And for this reason alone O'aka is worth the investment.

I beat him without leveling my characters, and only with Sensor equipped equipment. It's not hard, summon Valefor/Ifrit to overdrive, knock it over, call the Aeon back, and use Fire from Lulu, and Auron. It should knock it back, once you have completed the attack run. But in this way, it requires a bit if luck.

And by my OCD comment, I meant leveling up until you get 255 everywhere... even Luck.

He sells the best items in the game. Invest. Save. Buy.
Just like Geico.

Costco is better, even if it DOESN'T sell insurance. Granted, one day, Costco will rule the world, and everyone will be happy. I've yet to meet a person who hates Costco.

SeeDRankLou
03-03-2006, 10:44 PM
I beat him without leveling my characters, and only with Sensor equipped equipment. It's not hard, summon Valefor/Ifrit to overdrive, knock it over, call the Aeon back, and use Fire from Lulu, and Auron. It should knock it back, once you have completed the attack run. But in this way, it requires a bit if luck..
Beating Chocobo Eater is easy enough. Beating Chocobo Eater via knocking it off the cliff is a whole different story, which is what I was referring to. The closer it gets to it's side of the cliff, the faster its turn comes. And if you knock it right to the edge, it's turn just magically happens, making it almost impossible to get the final push in unless you have the Haste/Slow combo. Even with this I end up having to heal it so that I don't kill it before knocking it off, but at least it becomes doable. And unless you semi-insanely level up at that point, the only way to have Slow is through the Stunning Steel that O'aka sells.

Carl the Llama
03-04-2006, 12:05 AM
Im wondering, whats the difference between knocking the chocobo eater off and killing him?

Round_Knight
03-04-2006, 12:21 AM
I think O'aka voice is very annoying

Sain Cai
03-04-2006, 12:26 AM
If I am not mistaken, you do not have to lend him any money for Wantz (not O'aka) to sell the Tetra equipment. He is gonna show up regardless.

Acid Raine
03-04-2006, 02:31 AM
I think O'aka voice is very annoying

Really? I love his cockney accent. I think it is hilarious. With all of the American accented voices, it's nice for SOME diversity...

Slade
03-04-2006, 03:20 AM
O'aka should have been the main character of the game. He was great :bigsmile:

TheSpoonyBard
03-04-2006, 09:39 AM
I love his cockney accent
His was definitely not a cockney accent. Perhaps it was supposed to be, but the VA failed miserably.

mooglebunni608
03-04-2006, 03:55 PM
O'aka should have been the main character of the game. He was great :bigsmile:
he sure wuz :rolleyes2

haha I don't think I can give him anymore gold right now..... wich is sad cuz now I won't get a very big discount D:

Lost Number
03-04-2006, 04:21 PM
Then run around and MAKE SOME.

Tavrobel
03-04-2006, 05:51 PM
If I am not mistaken, you do not have to lend him any money for Wantz (not O'aka) to sell the Tetra equipment. He is gonna show up regardless.

Unfortunately, you are, since it is his brother Wantz that sells the Tetra equipment. Wantz can be seen lurking around the party in certain occasions, only if you gave money to O'aka. And Wantz does not sell equipment to the party on Mt. Gagazet, and he does not mention that O'aka was arrested by Yevon (which triggers the sell of Tetra equipment), which triggers his reconciliation with O'aka in FFX, and he heads to Macalania. O'aka will show up at every event plot that he is present in with both outcomes, but he won't sell anything. Tetra equipment is also dropped by 4 of the Original Creations anyway. No offense intended.

Beating Chocobo Eater is easy enough. Beating Chocobo Eater via knocking it off the cliff is a whole different story, which is what I was referring to. The closer it gets to it's side of the cliff, the faster its turn comes. And if you knock it right to the edge, it's turn just magically happens, making it almost impossible to get the final push in unless you have the Haste/Slow combo. Even with this I end up having to heal it so that I don't kill it before knocking it off, but at least it becomes doable. And unless you semi-insanely level up at that point, the only way to have Slow is through the Stunning Steel that O'aka sells.

I WAS referring to beating him by knocking him off the cliff. Overdrive knocks him over, and Lulu/Auron do enough damage to knock him back. Repeat and continue for knockoff. Slow does help, however, but it can be done otherwiswe, with a bit of luck.

Im wondering, whats the difference between knocking the chocobo eater off and killing him?

If you knock him off the cliff, Rin gives you two lv.1 Key Spheres, and the Eater drops a Mega-Potion after the battle, and when he is knocked off, a very funny anime-esque exclamation point pops out of a speech bubble from his head as he falls, and a Chocobo ride is free (the first), and you receive a discount from that point on. If he dies without cliff, then Rin only gives you a Mega-Potion, and the first ride is free, but no discount. If you die normally, Game Over, and if YOU get knocked off the cliff, then you start at the Old Road, with no rewards, no AP, and far from a save point.

rubah
03-04-2006, 05:58 PM
You're not *that* far from a save point. You never are in ffx.

But now I have a new goal for ffx; see that animation xD

Tavrobel
03-04-2006, 10:01 PM
No, you're rioght, you're not THAT far from a save point, and you don't really encounter enemies all that much. Far would be Mt. Gagazet at any HPs below 3k. THAT'S murder.

And yes, the Chocobo Eater animation is hilarious.

Acid Raine
03-05-2006, 12:19 AM
maaaan. I can never knock the Eater off. I always have him a hair's breadth away, and he either knocks me back, or dies...