PDA

View Full Version : Infared or Bluetooth?

Max
02-25-2006, 09:55 PM
Is there a way for me to check to see if my computer has a infared or bluetooth port? Im getting a cool new phone and If I have these ports on my comp I dont need to buy a data cable :D

Samuraid
02-25-2006, 10:39 PM
Most computers these days don't come with either. However, you may be able to purchase a USB bluetooth adapter or something along those lines. (I honestly don't know much about Bluetooth)

Yamaneko
02-25-2006, 10:45 PM
Unless by computer you mean laptop in which case perhaps. I'm sure device manager should show something.

Endless
02-25-2006, 10:45 PM
Laptops usually come with IR, though. Otherwise, there should be USB adapters for both.

o_O
02-25-2006, 10:58 PM
Are you on a laptop or a desktop PC? Most desktops require a bluetooth dongle (usually USB) to receive bluetooth beams, but a few wifi cards now incorporate it. My laptop has a wifi card with bluetooth in it, which is cool. If you have a laptop or a wifi card, I'd consult your laptop/card documentation to see if it has bluetooth capabilities.

Most likely you'll need to buy a dongle though. :p

Max
02-26-2006, 12:12 AM
I am on a desktop. But Im sure if I need to I can use my dads laptop, it has a wireless card in it. How much does one of those bluetooth usb things set you back. Would that be cheaper than buying the usb cable to hock the phone directly to it?

Endless
02-26-2006, 10:07 AM
On the laptop, check in the control panel. If there is an Ir port, there will be a specific configuration shortcut (using classic display at least). A usb bluetooth dongle costs about 20 euros here.