PDA

View Full Version : ra's and ga's

Nick Schovitz
02-25-2006, 11:31 PM
When I played FFviI for the 1st time I wondered why the black magic spells like fire, fira, and firaga, were converted to simple, fire1, fire2, and fire3. I've also discovered this in IV. Tell me when did the change to ra's and ga's come into ff? Do you prefer it with the simple 1,2, and 3, or do you like the ra's and ga's?

Me I like the ra's and ga's it shows evolution? now when did ice1, 2 and 3 die, VIII?

TheSpoonyBard
02-25-2006, 11:35 PM
They had to use numbers in the early FFs due to the limited number of characters in the name screen.

I prefer the -ra, -ga and -ja suffixes of the later games.

ljkkjlcm9
02-25-2006, 11:35 PM
Actually up until VIII, they were all 1, 2, 3, 4.... numbered levels

like the previous poster said it was mostly due to limited space
FF1 only had 4 characters ex:
FIRE
FIR2
FIR3
FIR4

THE JACKEL

Gilthanes
02-26-2006, 03:20 AM
And Thunder spells were "LIT" "LIT2" "LIT3"

Ah good ol "Lightning" days :)

Zeromus_X
02-26-2006, 03:24 AM
Like above people said, it was due to limited character space. In Japanese, they use symbols for syllables, not letters like English. So "Fi", "ra" and "ga" would take up only 3 spaces. But there are only 4 spaces (in FFI anyway.), and English would require more letters to spell out that word romanized. So, they used simplified versions of the spells, but got out the same meaning.

I personaly prefer the "ra", "ga", "ja" suffixes myself. :cat:

Add-on: actually, "Firaga" would take up four, 'cause of the little "i"...well, nevermind. It doesn't matter unless you know what I'm talking about...:p )

TheAbominatrix
02-26-2006, 03:40 AM
Words like "Fira" and "Curaja" sound a lot more magical than some dope yelling "Ice 3!"

Zeromus_X
02-26-2006, 03:43 AM
Words like "Fira" and "Curaja" sound a lot more magical than some dope yelling "Ice 3!"

That too.

Llednar Twem
02-26-2006, 03:46 AM
I think "-ga" is supposed to be "-aga".
Fire
Fi-ra
Fir-aga
Fir-aja
Thunder
Thund-ara
Thund-aga
Thund-aja
Blizzard
Blizza-ra
Blizz-aga
Blizz-aja
Cure
Cu-ra
Cur-aga
Cur-aja

Yuffie514
02-26-2006, 07:18 AM
i think the numbering of spells stopped for a while since Final Fantasy VII (referring to mainstream titles), and then it picks back up with an epic record in Final Fantasy XI. i suppose it's logical in Final Fantasy XI's sense, otherwise a WHM wouldn't have the need to go so far if it was just Cure, Cura, and Curaga. Final Fantasy XI is actually a mix between numbering them and adding suffixes to a crazy point.

now, for my opinion - the names can be somewhat longer, but i fancy them more. they'd work better with Roman Numerals (instead of Fire3/et-cetera), at least while it doesn't get insane...

Rengori
02-26-2006, 07:21 AM
Words like "Fira" and "Curaja" sound a lot more magical than some dope yelling "Ice 3!"You just persuaded me.

DeathKnight
02-26-2006, 07:22 AM
ra and ga are better, period.

THUNDAGA! best black magic spell. :mog: *kuuuuuupo!*

Zeromus_X
02-26-2006, 07:23 AM
Well, the "ra, ga, ja" suffix spells are actually what they are called by in the Japanese version of the games, so they did use them in Japan, just not outside. :) (For spacing purposes said above.)

Now that they can fit all that in to a line of text, they do :choc2:

Of course, I've heard that FFXI's spell level up system is similar to FFII's? I'm not sure; someone would have to tell me that one.

Rengori
02-26-2006, 07:25 AM
THUNDAGA! best black magic spell.
What happenend to Flare and Unltima?

DeathKnight
02-26-2006, 07:29 AM
What happenend to Flare and Unltima?

talking 'bout standard black magic. Of course everyone's gonna love Holy, Flare, and Ultima.......it's a no brainer. You want to see how I break it down???

Standard magic: Thundaga

Overkill magic: Holy

BEST FF magic in the who fucking world: Holy Thundaga!:choc2: :choc2: :choc2:

Zeromus_X
02-26-2006, 07:32 AM
Holy Meteor pWns Holy Thundaga :cool:

But Holy Ultima Flare Meteor Thundaga is better than both :cat:

Rengori
02-26-2006, 07:40 AM
talking 'bout standard black magic. Of course everyone's gonna love Holy, Flare, and Ultima.......it's a no brainer. You want to see how I break it down???
Flare and Ultima are Black Magic. Holy is White.

DeathKnight
02-27-2006, 02:01 AM
Flare and Ultima are Black Magic. Holy is White.

Yeah I know, but in some games(FFVIII) you're able to learn both magics regardless of job....so it can be done. And besides I was just stating that Holy Thundaga would be the most killer magic ever:choc2: .

Zeromus_X
02-27-2006, 02:08 AM
Holy's a black spell in VI. :choc2:

Rengori
02-27-2006, 04:18 AM
I thought they didn't discriminate magic in FFVI.

ljkkjlcm9
02-27-2006, 04:52 AM

I'm quite sure Holy is called Pearl in FFVI...

THE JACKEL

Azure Chrysanthemum
02-27-2006, 05:01 AM
Holy isn't considered "black magic" because there is no such thing as black or white magic. The symbols denote the type of spell it is, and Holy (or Pearl from the SNES cartridge release) is a damaging spell as opposed to a healing or a status spell. Thus, it has the damage spell symbol next to it.

I personally prefer the -ra -aga and -aja suffixes to the numbers. Also, I prefer "Lit" or "Lightning" to "Thunder", as thunder is just the sound and shouldn't be doing lightning damage. It should be doing sonic damage, if anything.

Oh and finally, the -ra -aga and -aja works a lot better in Japanese under the character system than it does in English. One of the earlier problems translators would run into, the way the characters are spaced means that they have to truncate the game's dialogue in order to get it to fit in the amount of text boxes available. You can say a lot more in a lot less space using Japanese characters than you can using English letters.

DJZen
02-27-2006, 07:56 PM
It is my understanding that Curaja only exists in the american versions, and that in Japan the progression goes Cure, Cura, Curada, Curaga.

Rengori
02-27-2006, 10:20 PM
That's cause Curada sounds retarded.

Llednar Twem
02-27-2006, 10:36 PM
If it's like that, then Curaja is more effective than Curada?

Rengori
02-27-2006, 10:46 PM
What?

Eiko Guy
02-27-2006, 10:51 PM
i know aga and ara or ira but I don't ever remember aja

Jhei
02-27-2006, 10:54 PM
Does the -ja suffixes only exist in FF XI or in older FFs as well?

TheAbominatrix
02-27-2006, 10:54 PM
Curaja is Cure 4, and not many games have had it. I think it's only been in IV, but I could be wrong.

TheSpoonyBard
02-27-2006, 11:01 PM
FFVIII has Gravija.
FFX has Gravija and Thundaja.

All the above are used by bosses.

Elite Lord Sigma
02-27-2006, 11:18 PM
Curaja is Cure 4, and not many games have had it. I think it's only been in IV, but I could be wrong.

It is also in Final Fantasy I.

Anyway, I prefer -ra, aga, and aja, for the simple reason that they plain sound cooler than "Ice 2", "Fire 3", etc.

DJZen
02-27-2006, 11:20 PM
FFX has Thundaja.

Where?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-27-2006, 11:22 PM
In FFI, FFIII, and FFIV, Cure 3 was Curada, and Cure 4 was Curaga. Later games did away with a fourth Cure spell but began referring to the third one as Curaga. The fourth spell then came back in FFT, but rather than revert to the old pattern, they invented the "ja" suffix. So:

FFI, FFIII, & FFIV: Cure, Cura, Curada, Curaga
FFV-FFX: Cure, Cura, Curaga
FFT: Cure, Cura, Curaga, Curaja

TheSpoonyBard
02-27-2006, 11:23 PM
Where?
Dark Ixion uses it.

Rengori
02-28-2006, 12:25 AM
I guess Crystal Chronicles doesn't count as an FF.

DarkLadyNyara
02-28-2006, 02:48 AM

Exactly. Now all we need is "Flareaga".;)

Nick Schovitz
02-28-2006, 01:27 PM
Did some of you say that there are ja suffixes? whichh ffs had ja, suffixes I've only seen ga's and ra's?

TheSpoonyBard
02-28-2006, 02:49 PM
Nick, that was discussed in posts #28 -#33.

Nick Schovitz
02-28-2006, 10:22 PM
I think "-ga" is supposed to be "-aga".
Fire
Fi-ra
Fir-aga
Fir-aja
Thunder
Thund-ara
Thund-aga
Thund-aja
Blizzard
Blizza-ra
Blizz-aga
Blizz-aja
Cure
Cu-ra
Cur-aga
Cur-aja
no becayse in ten it's not wateraga, it's waterga!

Aurons Apprentice
02-28-2006, 10:41 PM
tah may be true but things like fire are easyer to say if u say firaga and stuff but each to his own

Little Blue
02-28-2006, 10:47 PM
Does the -ja suffixes only exist in FF XI or in older FFs as well?
I know this has been answered already, but X-2 also has "-ja" spells on the Mascot dressphere for Yuna (Moogle Cureja, Moogle Regenja, Moogle Lifeja and Moogle Wallja)

DJZen
02-28-2006, 11:49 PM
In FFI, FFIII, and FFIV, Cure 3 was Curada, and Cure 4 was Curaga. Later games did away with a fourth Cure spell but began referring to the third one as Curaga. The fourth spell then came back in FFT, but rather than revert to the old pattern, they invented the "ja" suffix. So:

FFI, FFIII, & FFIV: Cure, Cura, Curada, Curaga
FFV-FFX: Cure, Cura, Curaga
FFT: Cure, Cura, Curaga, Curaja

Thank you for, once again, making everything simple enough for me to understand. It all makes sense now. So I guess Full-Cure is just Full-Cure in Japan?

Llednar Twem
03-02-2006, 01:03 AM
I still don't get it!

Jhei
03-02-2006, 04:55 AM
I hope that there are four level spells in Final Fantasy XII with the -ja suffixes. Also, I hope to see higher levels of the following magic: Aero, Protect, Shell, Haste, Slow, and Reflect.

Prancing Mad
03-02-2006, 10:43 PM
The real question on my mind is when will they use hoochimama as a suffix.

DJZen
03-03-2006, 07:13 PM
I hope that there are four level spells in Final Fantasy XII with the -ja suffixes. Also, I hope to see higher levels of the following magic: Aero, Protect, Shell, Haste, Slow, and Reflect.

You mean Tornado, Protecra, Shellra, Hastaga, Slowra and Reflectra? They exist.

Exactly. Now all we need is "Flareaga".

Actually, a semi-equivalent almost exists in a roundabout way. In FFXI, aga spells actually have different effects. The strength of the spell is measured in roman numerals. So FireI, FireII and FireIII are different levels of the same spell, while Firaga is actually a different spell (Fire targets one, Firaga targets an area). Typing "/recast MeteorIII" in the game shows that a spell with the name of MeteorIII is actually in the code of the game, but there's no way to obtain it. I believe FlareIII and UltimaIII also exist.

Acid Raine
03-03-2006, 08:05 PM
yeah, KH had some accesories that were "Protera" and "Protega" chains. There was also an Aerora and Aeroga. And a Stopra and Stopga :P X had Hastaga and Slowga.

Where the heck are Protecra, Shellra, Slowra and Reflectra?