PDA

View Full Version : Router Problem

Max
02-26-2006, 12:14 AM
I have a Belkin wireless router. To send internet to my dads laptop. I play a game called Starcraft.(You may be familiar with it) But anyway, due to the fact that I have a router, I can not host a game on Starcraft. There is a soulution to this. I went to the Battlenet website(The server that host's starcraft) to see if there was a solution. There was. They led me to a website called PortForward.com. It told me how to make it so I can "Forward the Port" on starcraft. I followed all of the instructions, did everything it asked, all of it. I can still not make games! Is there a solution to this? I want to make it clear that I can connect to Battlenet, I just cannot host games, but I can join them.

Flying Mullet
02-26-2006, 09:59 PM
I don't know what the website told you, but usually you have to go into your router settings and set up port forwarding to forward the port that starcraft will use to your computer's ip address. i.e. forward all requests on port 8080 to ip address 192.168.1.102. So when you host a game on your computer, you are in essence hosting the game on the ip address that your isp assigned you (let's say 68.2.34.56, you'll also need to know if you have a static ip address or a dynamic ip address, most people have dynamic) and that is the ip address of your router to the rest of the world. Thus when other people join your game they will join the game at 68.2.34.56 and when they try to connect to you the router will recieve the request at port whatever (8080 for example) and it will forward the request to your computer, 192.168.1.102.

Samuraid
02-27-2006, 02:46 AM
Ah yes, good old port forwarding on battle.net.

If you want to use port forwarding, I would suggest using the port triggering feature of your router, and trigger ports 6112 through 6119 for TCP and UDP. Also, make sure you are not using any software firewalls on your computer (like zonealarm or windows firewall).
If you have multiple people on your LAN all connected to battle.net, and all of you try to join a game that one of you hosted, it sometimes causes problems with people joining. In that case, I would suggest turning port triggering off, and intead use the DMZ to open your specific IP address while you are hosting. (make sure you disable the DMZ after you are done)

What router do you have?