PDA

View Full Version : How important is the vocal work?

Chris
02-26-2006, 02:35 PM
How important is the vocal/s in a song to you? I mean, we all have singers who gets by because of their amazing personalities, but without having a great voice. Sometimes having charisma is enough to carry a song, but in some genres a strong vocal is necessary (for example in opera, you can't sing opera unless you have a fairly strong vocal). Personally I'm in love with Jones, but I'll admit that she doesn't have the strongest voice, but she compensates that by having an amazing personality.

Lost Number
02-26-2006, 02:59 PM
Most of what I listen to has no vocals.

Rye
02-26-2006, 02:59 PM
Insanely important to me. Seeing how I love to sing, the vocals are the most important part of the music 9/10 times for me. The only band that doesn't have a great singer but I love anyway are The Dresden Dolls. Amanda has a flawed voice and a very small range, but it kinda adds charm to the music in some way that a strong voice could not. And she admits it's flawed too. :)

Venom
02-26-2006, 03:02 PM
I like the guitars better than the vocals, as long as the guitars are shredding and doing lots of solos im ok with bad vocals.

Captain Maxx Power
02-26-2006, 03:03 PM
Good vocals can help, but it isn't needed for success. Just look at Madonna.

jrgen
02-26-2006, 03:40 PM
In for example Opera, the vocals are extremely important, but in general isn't vocals a necessity for me to enjoy the music. Post-rock, for example, is usually better off without vocals.

Suikojowy
02-26-2006, 04:06 PM
It doesn't really matter to me. It's nice to listen to awesome vocals but as long as the quality of music is good then i'm happy.

I still listen to stuff with good singing (eg. soundgarden), poor singing (clap your hands say yeah), and no singing at all (gsybe)

Crushed Hope
02-26-2006, 04:21 PM
It depends, vocals can really kill a song for me but it takes really bad vocals to do so. Typically bad harsh vocals don't bother me, but bad clean vocals can.

Really all that matters, is that the vocals fit the music.

Boo!
02-27-2006, 12:54 PM
i wouldn't like the goo goo dolls if trent reznor didn't sing for them! the lead singer is very important and his or her voice really matters to make the song feel right, ya know? ^_^

Crushed Hope
02-27-2006, 02:24 PM
i wouldn't like the goo goo dolls if trent reznor didn't sing for them! the lead singer is very important and his or her voice really matters to make the song feel right, ya know? ^_^
Trent Reznor doesn't sing for them, Johnny Rzeznik does.

Madrab
02-27-2006, 03:34 PM
Yeah i think he does