PDA

View Full Version : A new meaning to internet in the classroom

Rye
02-27-2006, 08:13 PM
Lately, I've been hearing too many internet references in school.

A few weeks ago, I walk into class, and there's this giant fake tree and we all have no idea where it came from, including the teacher, but we've had it ever since. An unusual kid in my class who once random sang all of Ultimate Showdown wrote "YAOI TREE!" next to it, and now, EVERY single day since then, he's been writing "YAOI TREE!" on the board next to it. It's unusual.

Then today, I was walking down the hallway, and I hear some kid talking loudly to his friend "IF CHUCK NORRIS FALLS INTO THE WATER..." and other Chuck Norris facts I was "Chuck Norris facts in real life?! Oh GOD! TUTU!" in my mind.

Then in Art a few weeks ago, a girl was talking about the ytmnd and eBaum e-war. All these internet references in school shock me. Not to mention, everyone says "OWNED" and some people say "OH EM EFF GEE!" It's scary.

Do you guys have similar experiences in school or work? Share them.

Epiphany
02-27-2006, 08:14 PM
This is why I'm glad that when I work I work from home and also glad that I was homeschooled.

Because I would be smacking every one of those people.

themagicroundabout
02-27-2006, 08:15 PM
There's my friend Santry who says "OWNED" occasionally (usually at completely innapropriate moments), but I expect that kind of talk from him.
Other than that nothing at all. :greenie:

Faris
02-27-2006, 08:18 PM
Only some of my friends (most who are older) do that. I have not seen anyone else do that in my school. :( A friend and I had a long canversation about how bad eBaums is.

Shauna
02-27-2006, 08:20 PM
These guys in my Spanish class were singing the Llama Song! xD

Shoeberto
02-27-2006, 08:38 PM
My friends and I always said owned, so when the school started having LAN parties, I think the terminology rubbed off on other people.

Also, Chuck Norris was ruined because of people at school. My friends and I thought it was hilarious when we first heard about them right before break was over, but not two weeks into it afterwards friggin' everyone was quoting them. It got old fast.

anacacia
02-27-2006, 08:47 PM
Yeah, I have one.

One of these girls in my classes (she isn't the smartest), whenever she is joking, she is all like, JK... JK...

I ask her why she says it, she says its cool. Okies... :p

Then for some reason people are saying Uber.

Weird kids. :D

Jess
02-27-2006, 08:57 PM
A lot of people say 'owned' or 'pwned' in my school.

Other than that it's 'Myspace' this and 'Myspace' that. That's about it. :)

Rye
02-27-2006, 09:00 PM
Other than that it's 'Myspace' this and 'Myspace' that.

That's ALL people talk about in my school. ;___;

Zeldy
02-27-2006, 09:24 PM
I sometimes have to stop myself saying "lol". Its sad, I know :(

-N-
02-27-2006, 09:37 PM
We say owned. We're old school with the Vin Diesel > Chuck Norris thing though.

Xaven
02-28-2006, 12:47 AM
Everyone is constantly talking about myspace. It's the most annoying thing since... ever. And yes, I do know people who say "Oh Em Gee!" and other lazy-typist-abbreviations.

Captain Maxx Power
02-28-2006, 12:50 AM
I attempt to reference pop culture over the internet, but it's usually met with confusion by my fellow students. In my experience only a handful of people know about these things, and they're easy to spot. At least four people understand the concept of a "Yiddish Cup" in my year.

Madame Adequate
02-28-2006, 12:58 AM
We say owned. We're old school with the Vin Diesel > Chuck Norris thing though.

'Old-school' means 'just plain wrong' these days, eh? :p

Anyway, there was a complete derth of such things at school. I remember I was like 19 before I ever heard anyone say 'Owned' out loud, aside from myself and my internets friends. It was a happy day...

XxSephirothxX
02-28-2006, 01:00 AM
A few guys in my Psychology class think Chuck Norris quotes are the funniest thing in the world, and love to quote them frequently. I'd pity them if they didn't annoy me so much.

Venom
02-28-2006, 01:01 AM
Yeah we have the whole Internet slang thing going on, Infact now everyone says stuff like "O rly" And "Ya Rly"......im so sad that i ever showed my friends O Rly owls...I'm truly regretting it.

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
02-28-2006, 01:05 AM
I sometimes have to stop myself saying "lol". Its sad, I know :(
Your not the only one :(

Mittopotahis
02-28-2006, 04:18 AM
People at my school say things such as lol, omg, rofl, wtf etc. It annoys the heck out of me.

And people constantly quote weebl and bob.

Reles
02-28-2006, 04:35 AM
One of my friends wanted me to play along with the "o rly" and "ya rly" thing and put it in our french skit and just say it randomly outloud to the classroom. So we did. I was a little ashamed though, but it was funny that he was an Internet nerd like me too. And yeah we have the whole pwned and owned thing here too. As well as Chuck Norris references, CONSTANTLY.

Mo-Nercy
02-28-2006, 08:54 AM
Owned and pwned. xD

I totally like saying "aw pwned."

DMKA
02-28-2006, 11:09 AM
I say "ell oh ell internet" as an answer to questions I don't care about on a daily basis. The reactions are fun.

Rye
02-28-2006, 11:36 AM
Wow, I'm seriously not the only one here. xD

TheSpoonyBard
02-28-2006, 11:42 AM
How, exactly, is one supposed to pronounce 'pwned'?

Venom
02-28-2006, 11:45 AM
How, exactly, is one supposed to pronounce 'pwned'?

I think people at my school prounounce it PAWNED.

Rye
02-28-2006, 11:58 AM
I think in that flash video with that nerd kid who was playing an MMORPG and kept saying "pwned", it was pronounce like "poned" or "poe-ned" or something. xD

TheSpoonyBard
02-28-2006, 12:04 PM
So its basically 'owned' with a p at the beginning? Makes sense.

The only thing to which I'll admit is thinking 'owned' when playing a game.

Shaun
02-28-2006, 12:35 PM
A lot of people say 'owned' or 'pwned' in my school.

Other than that it's 'Myspace' this and 'Myspace' that. That's about it. :)

QFT.

And a lot of people have said 'noob'.

look_out_below
02-28-2006, 10:02 PM
I have had friends say lol, rofl, and wtf (the best is one friend who says/pronounces lol as lowl, i didnt really have any clue what she was talking about the 1st time she did it). I have called people newbes/noobs before.

Denmark
02-28-2006, 10:23 PM
i myself have said numerous internet acronyms (in jest) to my friends. like "omfg!" and "wtf?" and "stfu".

and of course i've said noob. check my myspace. LOL!

but really i've said noob. truly!

Shoden
02-28-2006, 10:51 PM
I think this proves the theory that the internet is truly taking over the world and society, good or bad though?

rubah
02-28-2006, 10:57 PM
I wish the intarwebz kids at my school were that l33t.

Some of them refer to strong bad and homestar runner, which of course is old now, but it's better than the usual xanga etc.

Old Manus
02-28-2006, 11:00 PM
I'm sure that Bin Laden used h4x-invisibot to hide away in the mountains.

Rye
03-01-2006, 12:36 AM
I heard like, 4 or 5 different people quoting Chuck Norris today. It sounds so wrong IRL. This Chuck Norris Fact invasion IRL makes me sad.

In the middle of Math: The teacher was explaining proofs and finding slopes and such and she said "Anything divided by 0 is undefined" and this kid who sits near me yelled out "Anything divided by 0 is CHUCK NORRIS!" and the guys were like "HAHAHAHA CHUCK NORRIS!!11"

Madame Adequate
03-01-2006, 01:17 AM
I heard like, 4 or 5 different people quoting Chuck Norris today. It sounds so wrong IRL. This Chuck Norris Fact invasion IRL makes me sad.

In the middle of Math: The teacher was explaining proofs and finding slopes and such and she said "Anything divided by 0 is undefined" and this kid who sits near me yelled out "Anything divided by 0 is CHUCK NORRIS!" and the guys were like "HAHAHAHA CHUCK NORRIS!!11"

All I can do is roffle. Partly because he got it wrong "Chuck Norris CAN divide by zero." and partly because it'd have been even hilariouser if he'd got it right.