PDA

View Full Version : How long

Gustafson
03-01-2006, 02:44 PM
For those that dont know this game is VERY addictive. I always got a laugh out of that disclaimer before you log in, but now I know that some people actually become so addicted that all those things do apply to them. Anyways, my question is how long did it take before you were addicted?

Ive had the game for exactly one year now and have logged 112 days of playtime in that year alone. I think I became addicted in maybe two weeks. Anyways, this post is in fun, just wanna see if there are any fellow addicts out there :p.

Laguna
03-01-2006, 03:37 PM
Got red mage to level 62 in about a month. Tried to quit 5 times now, every time I've come crawling back. I must be addicted.

Miriel
03-01-2006, 08:52 PM
I've been playing for over a year, but I haven't logged too many playtime hours. Only around 32 days of playtime. Still love the game though, it's kinda a comfort knowing that the game is still there for me to play even if I'm too busy to play it at the moment.

Ouch!
03-01-2006, 08:53 PM
112 days in a year? Holy crap man.

I've been playing on this character for almost a year and have logged 38 days and 17 hours. I've logged more than that, but I've also been playing on different characters (most of which have long since been deleted) since the game came out in the United States. Even still, 112 days? Hot damn.

Gustafson
03-01-2006, 09:36 PM
Im a bit ashamed how much time Ive spent on the game. 112 is the total playtime, but thats also including countless nights where I've just been in bazaar mode, or just left my character logged on when I was at work. Im probably more around 50 days of actual playtime.

lordblazer
03-02-2006, 01:54 AM
For those that dont know this game is VERY addictive. I always got a laugh out of that disclaimer before you log in, but now I know that some people actually become so addicted that all those things do apply to them. Anyways, my question is how long did it take before you were addicted?

Ive had the game for exactly one year now and have logged 112 days of playtime in that year alone. I think I became addicted in maybe two weeks. Anyways, this post is in fun, just wanna see if there are any fellow addicts out there :p.
its not that its addictive(it is a little bit) but its ainly because ultimately its going to intefere with your dialy schedule. Due to wait times and etc. etc. Due to the fact that it takes hours upon hours to get one little thing accomplish. The game is a nice escape, when you are adventuring, but its pretty easy to quit once you look at your checking account.

Miriel
03-02-2006, 02:37 AM
I think a lot of people would disagree with you about how addictive this game is or how easy it is to quit. For you it might not be that addictive but a lot of people can't get enough of this game. Most MMORPG's are designed to be addictive and FFXI is no exception.

Gustafson
03-02-2006, 03:48 AM
Meh, $12.95 really isnt that much a month coming out of my pocket.

lordblazer
03-02-2006, 06:26 AM
I think a lot of people would disagree with you about how addictive this game is or how easy it is to quit. For you it might not be that addictive but a lot of people can't get enough of this game. Most MMORPG's are designed to be addictive and FFXI is no exception.
WEll how do you know for a lot of people? Tot ell you the truth there is really a small minority of players who actually get an addiction towards this game, nad there is a large majority that find this game as a nice escape from work school etc. Just something fun to play for a few hours. Then you have those that just get tired of all the crap that happens in MMORPGS. Those are the ones who quit, but they usually come from the large majority that can only fit a few hours in a week and when I say a few I mean like 4 hours at the most.

Anyway just to tell you. You can't speak for most people and neither can I. I just want to ask you one question.. WHy is it that you always have some kind of objection with whatever I say heck Ic ould be agreeing with you and you'll have some kind of objection.What I do to you? I mean kewl your asking questions thinking ctiically, but then again are you just being a jerk by placing an objection. Like I could say a MMORPG experience varies greatly from person to person and you would have an objection towards that cuz LB said it.Anyway it doesn't bother me that much.

Meh, $12.95 really isnt that much a month coming out of my pocket.
thats about roughly 144 a year. its a bit outta your pocket if you're a student currently trying to work your way through college. I mean you have to consider such realities. People have certain bills to pay. STuff comes up. That 12 bucks is really useful when something comes up. Heck that 12 bucks for a college student is like three week's of getting to eat.
In the end it really isn't that much but then again it is. I know people who set aside the 144 a year just for the game and I mean it works out great. Just to tell you form my experience the game isn't all that great and I didn't get that addicted to it.

This is addressed to Miriel-I never implied the the game wasn't addictive period. I just said it wasn't addictive to me..

lord blazer, please do not double post. You've got an edit/delete button in all of your posts. At least you should have. Please use it. ~ Leeza

Miriel
03-02-2006, 07:03 AM
WEll how do you know for a lot of people? Tot ell you the truth there is really a small minority of players who actually get an addiction towards this game, nad there is a large majority that find this game as a nice escape from work school etc. Just something fun to play for a few hours. Then you have those that just get tired of all the crap that happens in MMORPGS. Those are the ones who quit, but they usually come from the large majority that can only fit a few hours in a week and when I say a few I mean like 4 hours at the most.

Anyway just to tell you. You can't speak for most people and neither can I. I just want to ask you one question.. WHy is it that you always have some kind of objection with whatever I say heck Ic ould be agreeing with you and you'll have some kind of objection.What I do to you? I mean kewl your asking questions thinking ctiically, but then again are you just being a jerk by placing an objection. Like I could say a MMORPG experience varies greatly from person to person and you would have an objection towards that cuz LB said it.Anyway it doesn't bother me that much.
I was unaware that I was acting like a jerk in my posts. I'm sorry if you feel that I was objecting just for the sake of objecting or posting just to annoy you because that's not the case. But I won't apologize for any of my posts when I don't think they were offensive at all.

Rostum
03-02-2006, 09:49 AM
Anyway just to tell you. You can't speak for most people and neither can I.

Oh, but you do speak as though you're speaking for most people. ;D

This is addressed to Miriel-I never implied the the game wasn't addictive period. I just said it wasn't addictive to me..

But you still made the broad generalisation that for others it's probably not addictive.

large majority that can only fit a few hours in a week and when I say a few I mean like 4 hours at the most

Because you know the large majority, right? And I doubt the people who can only manage 4 hours a week in, would actually experience the crap that comes from MMORPG's.

WHy is it that you always have some kind of objection with whatever I say heck Ic ould be agreeing with you and you'll have some kind of objection.

You're the one getting offended by everything, and you're the one feeding the fire by it. It's very hard to agree with things you say, simply by the way you type and construct your arguements / opinions. That and you seem to have contradicted things you say (i.e. telling Miriel, that they don't know the majority, making their arguement null -- yet you do the same thing), and sometimes things you say are illogical or untrue.

Anyway it doesn't bother me that much.

Yes it does.

its not that its addictive(it is a little bit) but its ainly because ultimately its going to intefere with your dialy schedule. Due to wait times and etc. etc. Due to the fact that it takes hours upon hours to get one little thing accomplish. The game is a nice escape, when you are adventuring, but its pretty easy to quit once you look at your checking account.

Once again, yes for you. You can't talk for everyone else. (And by that post, it sounded like you were talking pure fact for everyone)

---

Anyways, back on track!

I pretty much am addicted to this game, but I can defenately handle a few weeks break (even a month or a bit more). Breaking away from this game isn't too hard, but quiting I could not do (I'd just end up coming back again).

113 days playing. ;o University has allowed me to play for longer periods of time, and a fair bit of that is going AFK to bazaar stuff.

Gustafson
03-02-2006, 02:50 PM
Yay! Finally another addict. I'm in the same situation as you. I can take weeks off at a time but when it comes to quitting I never can do it. I tried one time and even went so far as to almost delete my account. If you havent tried it, they make you hold like 5 buttons down at once just to delete it and give you 30 seconds to cancel. I let it get down to 15 seconds and had to stop it. I looked how many friends in game I had and how much time Ive put into my little guy. On a side note, it is scary how much time is logged just when you go afk or in bazaar. Anyways, I'm glad I'm not alone.

thats about roughly 144 a year. its a bit outta your pocket if you're a student currently trying to work your way through college. I mean you have to consider such realities. People have certain bills to pay. STuff comes up. That 12 bucks is really useful when something comes up. Heck that 12 bucks for a college student is like three week's of getting to eat.
In the end it really isn't that much but then again it is. I know people who set aside the 144 a year just for the game and I mean it works out great. Just to tell you form my experience the game isn't all that great and I didn't get that addicted to it.

I'm sorry but this is very funny to me. I work full time and attend night school full time. I pay rent, utlities, insurance, tuition, and my car payment. If 12 bucks a month makes that big of a difference then you really need to maybe get a second job or adjust your budget. If you break that down it cost .40 cents a day, thats 5 pop cans if you live in a state with a depost. Your comment about 12 bucks being enough to let a student eat for three weeks is, to be blunt, dumb. That would put you well below the poverty level. Going by that statement your telling me that all you have for food is roughly .57 cents a day (thats for 21 days worth of food found by 12(cost per month)/21(days)).This is not even a valid point of why people dont play. Anyways, I'll stop, but thanks for the laughs.

Yeargdribble
03-02-2006, 04:12 PM
WARNING: The following is a small (or not so small >.> ) rant. To skip the rant portion and see my thoughts that are actually on topic you may want to skip to the bottom :D

Yes... the price per month comes down to being not much and if you play a decent number of hours a week then your hourly cost is next to nothing especially compared to the VAST majority of other games. I did a break down of the math vs. games like Doom 3 and FFX in another thread but I'll spare it here.

If you can only manage 4 hours a week perhaps this isn't the game for you to begin with. It bothers me immensely when someone judges this game after playing for only a short time. Many don't make it past the first 20 or 30 levels and even in those there's just not even a fraction of the content of this game. What if...

-Man FFVI sucks. All you do is run around in some caves on big machine things.

-FFX sucks because all you do is fight some funny looking monsters on a bridge.

Seriously, this is what the comparison is like. Okay so you didn't play much and it wasn't that addicting to you. I CAN speak for a lot of people. This games is addictive. If you play more than just the earliest part of the game (which might take a month compared to 10 hours in a single player game) you might find some of the addictive elements. You cannot even begin to scratch the surface of the storyline until you are decently high level. I play with a large number of people and the people that have played this game even mildly to the fullest (at the very least level 50+) find it greatly addicting. I run into almost nobody in the game above that level that doesn't find the game at least a little addictive.

I don't wanna get in the middle of someone else's fight but I have to agree that it seemed you were the agressor toward Miriel and seemed to take offense at the drop of a hat and not the other way around... just my 2 cents

I'm like the rest and I can take some pretty big breaks here and there. Quitting however, would be nigh impossible and I'd rather not think about it. When I get frustrated I just take some time to play some offline games or whatever and then eventually I get my spark back and I'm good to go. As for my playtime I believe I trump most here in my addictiveness I have 203 days of play time since I started on July 10th of 2004 so I'm still just a bit shy of the 2 year mark.

Gustafson
03-02-2006, 08:56 PM
Captain WTF!? -

You bring up excellent points about judging something before fully experience the entire thing. I found the beginning of FFXI to be very tedious and dull at times. However, once I was able to test out end game activities such as Dynamis, Sky, and soon Sea, I became much more interested. The thing I hate the most is trying to explain to friends why the game is so much fun. All they see is me killing the same thing over and over again, and its hard for me to explain it. This is a game that you have to experience and play to get the full effect. I think you dead on when you say that 50+ is when the addiction sets in. Thats when players begin their artifact quests and begin to see their jobs potential. Anyways, another addict has come out and this makes me happy. Maybe we should start a support group, or a FFXI /anon group (j/k). Good luck in game all, and thank you all for your replies to this thread.

strawberryman
03-03-2006, 03:41 AM
Well, come April I'll have been playing about a year, but my current playtime is just above 71 days.

I've loved this game from the beginning, it's definetly driven me into an addiction as well. And now that I hit BLM60 on my Taru, I only have more on the road ahead. :D

Fayts
03-05-2006, 08:22 PM
i could not stop playing the game after just a week of playing, ff11 was allways on my mind wut i should do next who in my ls i should do it with were i should lev wut 2 cook were 2 fish every thing it got kind of annoying but i still love the game

Levian
03-05-2006, 08:33 PM
Yeah. My grammar, spelling and sarcasm has improved since I bought FFXI.

escobert
03-05-2006, 08:48 PM
haha

zell1990
03-11-2006, 11:52 AM
I'm a level 24/12 RDM/WHM so I can't really say I'm a veteran of the game, but after having the game for 2 months, I can say I'm addicted. lol about 2 weeks after I bought the game I went on a week holiday, and all i could think about was FFXI >.<

After 2(ish) months, i've logged about 10 days i think, which is a reasonable effort seeing as i can only really play on weekends, damn school.

Lionx
03-11-2006, 07:00 PM
Since beta >_>; 30some days on that character, 200+days on the retail, and i forgot how much on my rank 5 mule..x_x