PDA

View Full Version : Based on a true story

Stayin Dizzy
03-01-2006, 04:44 PM
How many times have we heard this one. I was just reading the emily rose post (which I thought was an alright movie) and from my understanding there were some things that happened in the film that were actually true. So lets try this: Post a movie thats based on a true story and if anyone knows any truth about it, share.

I've always been curious about the Mothman Prophecies. Very creepy stuff, wouldn't want it to happen to me

Brian The Pink Shark
03-01-2006, 04:54 PM
The problem is with the Exorcism OF Emily Rose is tht they can say it was based on a true story because exorcisms have taken place (same thing with The Exorcist) lot of movies dont stick to the true story accurately but i guess it still means they are quiet truthful :choc:

look_out_below
03-01-2006, 05:30 PM
I was in the movie store the other day and there was a movie called Werewolf Hunters and it said on the cover it was based on a true story. I laughed at that claim, i did not actually watch/rent it.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
03-01-2006, 06:08 PM
At the beginning of Fargo they say it is a true story and it is NOT!

Captain Maxx Power
03-01-2006, 07:10 PM
Titanic is apparently based on a true story. However if my calculations are correct, if you sum together the total amount of films based on the titanic and tally up the amount of major characters in each one, you'd have more than the actual passanger amount on the Titanic. If I can prove that then I can prove that Leo didn't freeze to death

Brian The Pink Shark
03-01-2006, 07:44 PM
Titanic is apparently based on a true story. However if my calculations are correct, if you sum together the total amount of films based on the titanic and tally up the amount of major characters in each one, you'd have more than the actual passanger amount on the Titanic. If I can prove that then I can prove that Leo didn't freeze to death

there are also better ones than the one that won all the Oscars :choc:

Obsidian
03-01-2006, 07:52 PM
A whole lot of horror films claim the true story thing by being "loosely based" on different aspects of the real Ed Gein. Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Silence of the Lambs are the two I can think of right off hand. I think Psycho claims to be inspired by him too.

yuno
03-02-2006, 03:59 PM
a beautiful mind is based on a true story.im not quite sure if the hallucinations of professor john nash were perfectly represented,but i think it was a good representation of professor nash's life overall.

~SapphireStar~
03-02-2006, 04:09 PM
When I first seen the Blair Witch Project the day it was released I believed the it was real, then I saw the 3 of them on the cover of Empire magazine sometime later and I refused to believe in stuff Hollywood claimed was true. Unless its something historical like Titanic, then yes I will believe that.

Shauna
03-02-2006, 04:40 PM
Braveheart was based on a true story, obviously. But, half of it wasn't even true, and just encourages the typical Scottish stereotype!

~SapphireStar~
03-02-2006, 04:50 PM
Wasnt the Patriot a big mix up also? I remember my uncle saying something about it and I found it here:

The film has been heavily criticized for its historical inaccuracies, including the invention or exaggeration of British atrocities. Most criticized was a scene depicting the torching of a church containing a town's inhabitants, which was inspired by a Nazi war crime. Although not noticed by audiences and critics, historians also criticized the depiction of American-owned slaves being freed to serve in the Continental Army, when it was the British Army who first emancipated slaves that signed up for them. In fact, the new American Government would maintain legalized chattel slavery (primarily of blacks) until the Emancipation Proclamation during the American Civil War. The movie however, implied at several points that the revolution also aimed to free blacks. And though some of the writers of the constitution favored abolition of slavery, most did not. The original compromise for determining population was the notorious policy of the three fifths clause which proclaimed that each slave counted as 3/5 of a person under the law, for the purposes of proportioning representation at the federal level.

Brian The Pink Shark
03-02-2006, 05:10 PM
Braveheart was based on a true story, obviously. But, half of it wasn't even true, and just encourages the typical Scottish stereotype!

yeah we never mooned the English, that was just an excuse to show MEl Gibson's arse on screen :choc: