PDA

View Full Version : Why Terra?

Michael Belmont
03-02-2006, 01:08 PM
Okay can anybody explain to me why did Square Decided that Terra is the main charater they origainany made Locke the lead so that he's the first main charater that is a theif rather then a Warrior/Knight. So is it NOA's censorship or some female gamers think the male japanese were sexists?

Flying Mullet
03-02-2006, 02:44 PM
:confused:

The Devourer Of Worlds
03-02-2006, 03:09 PM
Since when was Locke going to be the lead? Seriously, i have never heard this anywhere.

And for all intents and purposes, FFVI HAS no 'main character'.

Roto13
03-02-2006, 05:40 PM
While no one character may hover far above the rest, I would call Terra the main character. The game begins and ends with her. Locke is more like the runner up to the main character :p

I Don't Need A Name
03-02-2006, 05:45 PM
Yeah i agree, considering that alot of the time, you are finding out about Terra's past

KoShiatar
03-02-2006, 09:27 PM
How would you know Locke was supposed to be the lead?

Michael Belmont
03-02-2006, 10:34 PM
I read it in a magizine.

Flying Mullet
03-02-2006, 10:58 PM
Well then it must be true!

Slothy
03-02-2006, 11:30 PM
Must have been reading Nintendo Power.

The Devourer Of Worlds
03-02-2006, 11:45 PM
I read it in a magizine.

Are you sure it was a mag? Are you sure it wasn't nothing?

Michael Belmont
03-03-2006, 12:21 AM
Yes it was a mag that said that now where do you hear of final fantasy 6 ?

Slothy
03-03-2006, 01:12 AM
Yes it was a mag that said that now where do you hear of final fantasy 6 ?

We're not saying a magazine wouldn't say something about FFVI. The general problem is any mag that states Terra is the main character in FFVI is just plain wrong or lying. She may have had more of her backstory shown, but it wasn't much more, and mainly to portray the Empire as seriously bad dudes. She's not the main character in FFVI, all of the characters are main characters (with the exception of Gogo, Umaro and Mog really, since they're kind of just there and you're never required to get them).

Crossblades
03-03-2006, 02:30 AM
[COLOR="Silver"]While no one character may hover far above the rest, I would call Terra the main character. The game begins and ends with her.

Plus, almost the entire game deals with her race, the espers

abrojtm
03-03-2006, 03:55 AM
I would consider her and Celes the main characters. Even if you don't have Terra in your party after you beat Kefka, she'll fly in for the ending.

Zeromus_X
03-03-2006, 03:59 AM
Well, even if all of the playable characters are main characters, Tina is still the main main character. Her leitmotif is the world map theme...:cat:

Slade
03-03-2006, 04:26 AM
Ok, instead of re-writing what I had already said in another thread ('Favorite main character' in the 'General FF Forum' to be exact), I'll quote it.

Final Fantasy VI may not have a proper main character, but it has a 'flagship' character, and that is Terra. So she does actually have the right to be called the main character of FFVI.

Hexarar
03-03-2006, 07:11 AM
03-03-2006 12:34 AM
Michael Belmont I read it in a magizine.

03-03-2006 12:58 AM
Flying Mullet Well then it must be true!
I cried aloud with mirth and merriment.

feioncastor
03-03-2006, 08:27 AM
Are you sure it was a mag? Are you sure it wasn't nothing?
Family Guy quote! (Heh, I love Brian)

Anyway, I don't think Terra is the lead. Plus, it couldn't have been NOA's doing because the game runs the same in Japan as it does here. NOA = Nintendo of America. If NOA changed it, the game would be different in Japan. And it's not. Plus, the re-release on the Playstation weren't NOA approved, and probably would've been the Japanese version, if such a thing existed.

As I was saying, Terra is not the lead. FF6 is a tricky game, in that sense. It has no main character. It is the story of Terra, Locke, Celes, Edgar, Sabin, Cyan, Setzer, Strago, Relm, Gau, and a few others. Sure, Terra is more important than Relm, but Relm is still important to the story. If you want to, you can finish the game without Terra. You can just completely forget about her. That's not a characteristic typical of a "main character". But I guess they pulled it off in Chrono Trigger, so meh. Even so, you can still have tens of hours of productive, progressive game play without Terra around. Or you can finish the game with only Celes, Edgar and Setzer... Wait, I think you have to get Sabin too. I'm not sure, but I think you may have to get Sabin also. Even so, you definitely don't have to get Terra if you don't want to. Nor do you have to get Locke. In fact, he's very out of the way.

Therefore, there is no clearly defined "main" in FF6. It's a united struggle by all the characters, each one as important as the next.

BTW, are there any times in the game where you HAVE to use Shadow? Or is he completely optional? I can't think of a time when using him is required, but hey, I haven't played in a few years...

Her leitmotif is the world map theme

Not in WoR. Which I associate more strongly as the world map theme.

Plus, almost the entire game deals with her race, the espers

Yes. Yes it does.

But, even more than Espers, I'd say that the game deals with the race of Edgar, Locke, Cyan, Sabin, Gau, Relm, Strago, Shadow, Leo, Gestahl, Vicks, Wedge, Bannon, Arvis, the Narshe Elder, ?Kefka?, and many others...

That is, humans. The games deals quite a bit with humans, too. You know, as well as Espers, there are a couple of human characters in the game. In fact, I think even Terra is half-human.

TheAbominatrix
03-03-2006, 08:31 AM
Shadow forcibly joins your party when you travel to Crescent Island.

feioncastor
03-03-2006, 08:33 AM
Shadow forcibly joins your party when you travel to Crescent Island.
Ah, yes. Do you get the chance to name him there if you didn't name him at any other occasion? Like, in S. Figaro or at the place... the place right after you wash up on shore after the rafting incident? (the crazy guy's house)

TheAbominatrix
03-03-2006, 08:41 AM
No idea, I've never gone that far without talking to him. I'm sure that's the case, though.

Michael Belmont
03-03-2006, 12:16 PM
Family Guy quote! (Heh, I love Brian)

Anyway, I don't think Terra is the lead. Plus, it couldn't have been NOA's doing because the game runs the same in Japan as it does here. NOA = Nintendo of America. If NOA changed it, the game would be different in Japan. And it's not. Plus, the re-release on the Playstation weren't NOA approved, and probably would've been the Japanese version, if such a thing existed.

As I was saying, Terra is not the lead. FF6 is a tricky game, in that sense. It has no main character. It is the story of Terra, Locke, Celes, Edgar, Sabin, Cyan, Setzer, Strago, Relm, Gau, and a few others. Sure, Terra is more important than Relm, but Relm is still important to the story. If you want to, you can finish the game without Terra. You can just completely forget about her. That's not a characteristic typical of a "main character". But I guess they pulled it off in Chrono Trigger, so meh. Even so, you can still have tens of hours of productive, progressive game play without Terra around. Or you can finish the game with only Celes, Edgar and Setzer... Wait, I think you have to get Sabin too. I'm not sure, but I think you may have to get Sabin also. Even so, you definitely don't have to get Terra if you don't want to. Nor do you have to get Locke. In fact, he's very out of the way.

Therefore, there is no clearly defined "main" in FF6. It's a united struggle by all the characters, each one as important as the next.

BTW, are there any times in the game where you HAVE to use Shadow? Or is he completely optional? I can't think of a time when using him is required, but hey, I haven't played in a few years...

Not in WoR. Which I associate more strongly as the world map theme.

Yes. Yes it does.

But, even more than Espers, I'd say that the game deals with the race of Edgar, Locke, Cyan, Sabin, Gau, Relm, Strago, Shadow, Leo, Gestahl, Vicks, Wedge, Bannon, Arvis, the Narshe Elder, ?Kefka?, and many others...

That is, humans. The games deals quite a bit with humans, too. You know, as well as Espers, there are a couple of human characters in the game. In fact, I think even Terra is half-human.

Yeah? Well tell that to too many sexist females.

TheAbominatrix
03-03-2006, 12:23 PM
What does sexism have to do with this? I've never seen anyone make a fuss about the sex of the main (or catalyst, if you people wanna nitpick) character in this game.

By the way, the game is exactly the same as it was in Japan, character wise. They didnt move Terra into a position of importance. She had always been there. Her role and Locke's role are exactly the same in both Japan and America.

Lynx
03-03-2006, 11:38 PM
the fact that the game has no actual main character is one of the best parts about it. saying terra or locke si the main doesnt make sense cause looking at proably every video game history with a main character the last battle always has the main character in it. you can use whoever you want. also come on you dont even ahve to get terra and locke to go and beat the game. setzer and celes are the only 2 required characters to advance in the game. in WoR you start off with celes and you need setzer to fly inot the last place obviously you need more guys to press all the buttons in kefkas tower but you can decide form there who you want to go and get. even though if i were to choose someone to be a main character id choose locke because you meet him early on and he sure does have a lot to say through out the game but still he's no main character.

TheAbominatrix
03-04-2006, 12:40 AM
Edgar is also required for the final battle, and Terra will show up no matter what you do, even if you never visit Mobliz.

You can complete Kefka's Tower with only the three required characters in the World of Ruin; Celes, Edgar, and Setzer.

Masamuneˇ1600
03-04-2006, 12:42 AM
setzer and celes are the only 2 required characters to advance in the game. in WoR you start off with celes and you need setzer to fly inot the last place obviously you need more guys to press all the buttons in kefkas tower but you can decide form there who you want to go and get.

This is inaccurate, actually; in addition to Celes and Setzer, Edgar must be acquired to further the game. Using only these three to finish is often referred to as a CES Challenge.

Michael Belmont
03-05-2006, 03:32 PM
Oh please both japan and the us versons the same? Come on they don't have the same script do they? I guess you didn't study the japanese verson did you?

NeoCracker
03-05-2006, 03:41 PM
Oh please both japan and the us versons the same? Come on they don't have the same script do they? I guess you didn't study the japanese verson did you?

The stories are the same, the roles are the same, the script may be different but that doesnt change those.

The Devourer Of Worlds
03-05-2006, 03:43 PM
No, I think very few of us here can actually speak Japanese. However, every reliable source out there has never included anything about Locke being the main character in the Jap version.

Besides, even if you couldn't read the text on the screen it would have been obvious to anyone that Locke wasn't the main character. Both Terra and Celes get far more screen time than he does.

Michael Belmont
03-05-2006, 04:06 PM
There is a fan-translation verson you Ted Woosley worshipers. And no there relly is no main charater it revolved around nobody just like they said so don't flame me.

Crossblades
03-05-2006, 05:43 PM
No one is flaming you. They're just telling it like it is

TheAbominatrix
03-05-2006, 06:07 PM
Ted Woosley worshippers? Really, that was uncalled for.

No one is flaming you. We're merely telling you that there was no change in character role. Of course the script has differences. It's no word for word verbaitim, but it didnt cut down Locke's role in order to put Terra higher. Terra has always been the main 'catalyst' for the story, if not the main character (again, I understand the importance of all the characters and so on. Terra is the catalyst for the beginning, you know what I mean).

No, we don't speak Japanese. But we learn things from people who do. From translators. There are lots of things we've learned that were excluded in American versions. The Developer's Room of IV, for example, was known about by American gamers even before the re-releases that included it. Translators work on the Ultimania guides for us to tell us secrets about the games. If Locke was the shining hero main character and then switched out for Terra, we'd see evidence of it even in the translation, and if we didnt, we'd have the good ole internet and fan translators to help us.

Again, we arent flaming you. Apologies if it came of that way.

Zeromus_X
03-05-2006, 10:46 PM
Well, Tina's lietmotif is the World Map Theme, she's on the logo, and you begin the game with her...I think she's the main main character. But to each their own...:cat:

theundeadhero
03-05-2006, 11:17 PM
The original SNES logo had Mog. I guess he's up for grabs as the main character as well.

As far as fan translation versions, they aren't a reliable source for anything storywise if it was changed from the original. That's just what the translator wanted it to say. Sky Renderer's version is different than the original Japanese version.

Roto13
03-05-2006, 11:24 PM
The SNES logo was thrown on there for the North American release. Look at the actual logo. It's Terra.

EDIT: See?

http://img335.imageshack.us/img335/9026/japaneserom7qv.th.jpg (http://img335.imageshack.us/my.php?image=japaneserom7qv.jpg)

theundeadhero
03-06-2006, 12:26 AM
By original I meant American original :p

Roto13
03-06-2006, 12:27 AM
But that's not really the original. It's a substitute.

KoShiatar
03-06-2006, 11:39 AM

I have. I am still in the process right now.
If you are talking about Sky Render's fantranslation, I'll tell you I have found a lot of debatable translation choices and even some mistakes that just can't be called anything else in his script.

However, I am not flaming you. Actually, you're right when you say there was no major change in roles or in character importance from the Japanese version to the US one.

A lot of attention is undeniably drawn on Terra. You start off the game with her, a great part of the storyline deals either with her her father's race, the Espers, she is the character who is featured in most Amano's artworks, other than character designs, I mean, and so on.
Yet you can choose to almost completely neglect her in the second half of the game. You start in the World of Ruin with Celes and she is the only compulsory female character from that point in the game on.
This makes the question if Terra can be called the lead character debatable. Probably the answer is yes but only to some extent.
So basically what you say is correct. There is no real leading character in Final Fantasy VI. And this is one of those things that make it really extraordinary.

Slade
03-07-2006, 05:26 AM
Like I said, Terra is the flagship character of Final Fantasy VI. Most people immediately think of her when VI is mentioned, plus she features on alot of the artwork. She may not be the MAIN character, but she is the flagship character. It's as simple as that :)

blackmage_nuke
03-07-2006, 05:31 AM
Why Terra? Why not? shes as good a charachter as the others

and I dont think there is a main characther as has been stated before.

Acid Raine
03-07-2006, 06:18 AM
If I am not mistaken, the main char. is frequently featured in the logo. Well...char or villain. It has been that way for 1 (it was a fighter...), 2, 3 (upcoming..), 4 (i think...), 8, 10, 10-2, and a bajillion chars were in 11. Terra in her Majitek Armor is the logo for VI....enough said.

feioncastor
03-07-2006, 10:34 AM
Ummm, Kain is on the logo for FFIV, and Cecil is DEFINITELY the main character of FFIV.

As well, Meteor is on the logo of FF7, and I understand that Cloud is the main in that game.

The logo doesn't mean that you're seeing the main char. Terra was no more the main than Celes, Locke, Sabin, Edgar... or a few others.

theundeadhero
03-07-2006, 12:47 PM
The logo for FFI didn't have a character for the NES. It was a sword, axe, crystal, and a castle. FFV was a Dragon. IX didn't have any characters. FFII had the emperor.

Dignified Pauper
03-07-2006, 02:16 PM
I would say Celes is more of a second lead than is Locke. That's why she starts the WoR.

boys from the dwarf
03-07-2006, 04:03 PM
there isnt a real main character which the game is all about because most characters have equal roles. i consider terra to be the character who you start off with instead of calling her the main character. i suppose celes is probly the main character because she is clearly a main part of the first part of the game and is one of the few people who are neccesary to complete the game and id say that edgar and setzer are less important than celes.

Roto13
03-07-2006, 08:10 PM
Terra is necissary to complete the game, too. You just don't have to bring her with you. She's there regardless.

Acid Raine
03-07-2006, 09:25 PM
Ummm, Kain is on the logo for FFIV, and Cecil is DEFINITELY the main character of FFIV.

As well, Meteor is on the logo of FF7, and I understand that Cloud is the main in that game.

The logo doesn't mean that you're seeing the main char. Terra was no more the main than Celes, Locke, Sabin, Edgar... or a few others.

For FFIV, I said "I think" in parentheses, and I said frequently, which means often, not always.

Avarice-ness
03-12-2006, 09:13 PM
Back in 1994, America was not being crazy censor whore's so the script should be basically the same, there would have been no reason to change it to people's likings over here. I played the game when it came out and I was 9 years old, so unless I still have the mind of a small child, then every single one of those characters except the one's you can add on the side, are the main characters, Terra started at the beginning because you have to start somewhere.
I mean... If we would have started the game with Celes or Gau, for some weird reason, the exact same question would be asked except the names would be switched. "Why Celes?" "Why Gau?" The question gets asked for the reason of that there -are- that many main characters and since the game started with Terra in normal human's mind she would be taken as the concrete 'main character'. Atleast that's I would think. =]
<3.

Roto13
03-12-2006, 09:34 PM
If we would have started the game with Celes or Gau, for some weird reason, the exact same question would be asked except the names would be switched. "Why Celes?" "Why Gau?"
Only if the ending revolved more around Celes or Gau, too.

Avarice-ness
03-12-2006, 10:12 PM
If we would have started the game with Celes or Gau, for some weird reason, the exact same question would be asked except the names would be switched. "Why Celes?" "Why Gau?"
Yeah that would have been a key factor to help that scenerio too. :D

The Devourer Of Worlds
03-12-2006, 10:51 PM
Back in 1994, America was not being crazy censor whore's so the script should be basically the same, there would have been no reason to change it to people's likings over here.
Actually, they were, and they did.

Roto13
03-12-2006, 11:00 PM
So... what you're saying is, if the central character was different, there would be an argument about whether that character was the main character or not? Well, duh.

Avarice-ness
03-12-2006, 11:23 PM
So... what you're saying is, if the central character was different, there would be an argument about whether that character was the main character or not? Well, duh.
Yeah, Obviously. Which is why this entire thred is irellevent.

Actually, they were, and they did.
I mean it to the point where they censored it to the point where when it was re-released for Anthology that Censors couldn't get their hands on it, And it did have some kiddish aspects in the script, but unless I got a japanese person, I wouldn't know. d-o o

Roto13
03-12-2006, 11:28 PM
... how does that make it irrelevant? We're not IN one of those other situations. We're in this real one.

Avarice-ness
03-12-2006, 11:33 PM
... how does that make it irrelevant? We're not IN one of those other situations. We're in this real one.
xD For one, this isn't something to freak out about, for the reason of, as I said, the other chara's would have the same question. The question of 'Why is Terra the main character' makes no sense, since the fact that, all the characters are the main character, That's all I meant. :tongue:

Roto13
03-12-2006, 11:35 PM
-_-;;

Avarice-ness
03-12-2006, 11:37 PM
-_-;;
Heh, I love to argue, You keep commenting I keep talking. <3.

Roto13
03-12-2006, 11:40 PM
-_-;;
Heh, I love to argue, You keep commenting I keep talking out of my ass. <3.
Fix'd :p

Avarice-ness
03-12-2006, 11:42 PM
-_-;;
Heh, I love to argue, You keep commenting I keep talking out of my ass. <3.
Fix'd :p
Aww. You should put some brackets in there, You know how people get when you mess with their words.:p

Michael Belmont
03-12-2006, 11:45 PM
I don't know butwhoever say that Tina is the real hero needs to have some Yu-Gi-Oh in their lives.

Death Penalty
03-13-2006, 02:23 AM
[I don't know butwhoever say that Tina is the real hero needs to have some Yu-Gi-Oh in their lives.

Dude dat stament aint even right. You be geekin on it.

Zeromus_X
03-13-2006, 02:28 AM
I'm confused...what are they saying? I said Tina because that's her name in the Japanese version, and I prefer using it. It's not like you can say Terra or Tina if you want to...

Anyway, I still think Tina is the main character. I guess she couldn't be, but that would only be because FFVI has so many main characters. Whatever. Everyone can think what they want to after all :cat:

Duncan
03-13-2006, 04:23 PM
While I don't know that I would go so far as to say that she was the main character, I would say that she was A main character along with others. She was key to the whole story. She was the catalyst that started the ball rolling. In fact, at the the rebels hideout, until she decides to join, the story won't progress. Without many of the events and choices that she make there would be no story. I know that she was not even available for the first part of the WoR but it that was part of the the whole story, the feelings that she had to work through as she struggled to find her place in the world.

In the end though, I would say that she was part of an ensemble cast. There was no single main character in the game. But that's just my opinion.

KoShiatar
03-13-2006, 07:00 PM
I don't know butwhoever say that Tina is the real hero needs to have some Yu-Gi-Oh in their lives.

I don't get it, probably because I never played collectable card games....or watched Yu-Gi-Oh at that.

theundeadhero
03-13-2006, 07:05 PM
The story does progress at the rebels hideout if you don't join the returners. You have to tell Banon no three times.

Duncan
03-13-2006, 07:10 PM
I thought you still had to say yes, but if you say no at least three time you get a better item (don't remember what tho)

Zeromus_X
03-13-2006, 07:14 PM
You get a Genji Glove. (It kicks the Gauntlet into the floor :) )

theundeadhero
03-13-2006, 07:45 PM
Or you could tell Banon no once and go talk to the returner in the upper left of the hideout (presumably in a store room). He'll give you the Genji Glove. Then tell Banon yes and you still see the planning scene.

MJN SEIFER
03-19-2006, 09:13 PM
I always concidered Locke to be the main...

Rengori
03-19-2006, 10:05 PM
I think Terra is the flagship character and I love Yu-Gi-Oh, but I don't see the connection. Explain?

playaGAW
03-21-2006, 05:53 AM
Thats a new logo made for Final Fantasy Anthologies the games didn't use the current logo until post 7. Locke wasn't close to a man character. The Figaro brothers, Celes, and Terra were more important. Terra however was also not the main character as the World of Ruin dealt more with Celes coping with loss.There is no true main character for this game its open thats why I like it better than any other FF.

Like I said, Terra is the flagship character of Final Fantasy VI. Most people immediately think of her when VI is mentioned, plus she features on alot of the artwork. She may not be the MAIN character, but she is the flagship character. It's as simple as that :)
I think of Mog, Gau, or Shadow. Even moreso now that I think of it Kefka is the first thing that comes to mind an evil feminine clown.

TheAbominatrix
03-21-2006, 05:53 AM
It was on the original game.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/Abominatrix/Game00.jpg

Roto13
03-21-2006, 08:19 PM
Also, I took my screen shot for the Japanese Super Famicom ROM.

Vyk
03-21-2006, 10:34 PM
I think this thread sorta changed topics. While the main character of FF6 (if there is one) is easily debatable. That's not really the question he posed. He wanted to know why Locke had his screen time editted down so Terra could take the lead. Which just plain didn't happen. I'd certainly like to know where that information came from.

Edit: And "a magazine" doesn't cut it ^_^ I want to know what magazine made this mistake

Shiny
03-23-2006, 04:53 AM
Okay can anybody explain to me why did Square Decided that Terra is the main charater they origainany made Locke the lead so that he's the first main charater that is a theif rather then a Warrior/Knight. So is it NOA's censorship or some female gamers think the male japanese were sexists?
Why Terra...because. Where are you getting this Locke main character stuff from? I would like to know, because it seems pretty inaccurate. They probably put Terra as the main character maybe because they thought sex didn't matter concerning who should be the leading character or not. Just a thought.

Avathar
03-26-2006, 11:00 AM
Terra Branford is the main character of FFVI.
Locke Cole is the hero of FFVI.

^_^

feioncastor
03-26-2006, 05:22 PM
It was on the original game.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/Abominatrix/Game00.jpg
I don't think that a person being in a logo implies they are the main character. Cecil was obviously the main of FFIV, but Kain was on the logo. And Meteor was on the FFVII logo.

Seriously, I've debated this topic more times than I can count. I've settled on a conclusion, though.

Final Fantasy VI is awesome because it has no absolute main character. Obviously, certain characters play more substantial roles than others, but without the main group of people in that game, the story could not be complete.

You don't even have to have Terra to beat the game. That says a lot, right there. I know, the same could be said of Chrono Trigger, but Crono is a much more obvious main character than Terra. For one thing, he's the only one in the game who never talks. That alone sets him apart from all the other characters. But Terra is no more important than Locke, Celes, Edgar, Sabin, Cyan, and a few others. I really don't consisder Setzer, Strago and Relm to be that important because they only come into the picture (story-wise) right before WoR, and after that, you can choose to never see them again. You have them for about as long as you have Banon. And Setzer is just the guy who supplies the airship for you. His role is minimal because anyone could be the airship supplier, if you know what I'm getting at.

Anyway, play through the game again, if you have the time. That might help to clarify Terra's level of importance. She's super important to the story, but so are many others.

This is what makes Final Fantasy VI one of the best video games ever. It sort of broke the storyline mold, if you will. RPG's were quite formulaic, and FF6 messed with that formula and produced a game unlike any other.

TheAbominatrix
03-26-2006, 06:29 PM
Please notice I never once said Terra was the main character.

Thats a new logo made for Final Fantasy Anthologies the games didn't use the current logo until post 7

My post was in response to that.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-26-2006, 06:56 PM
Edit: And "a magazine" doesn't cut it ^_^ I want to know what magazine made this mistakeThere is no magazine. He's just a Locke fan (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=80234) who wants to pretend that Locke was originally the main character but had that status unjustly seized from him. And since no one would believe that if he just said it, he made up a fake source in an attempt at credibility. Unfortunately for him, "a magazine" is pretty transparent in that regard.

Rengori
03-26-2006, 07:07 PM
Burninated.

Michael Belmont
03-27-2006, 05:25 AM
Edit: And "a magazine" doesn't cut it ^_^ I want to know what magazine made this mistakeThere is no magazine. He's just a Locke fan (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=80234) who wants to pretend that Locke was originally the main character but had that status unjustly seized from him. And since no one would believe that if he just said it, he made up a fake source in an attempt at credibility. Unfortunately for him, "a magazine" is pretty transparent in that regard.

Fake source you say? Tch don't insult we supose to respect each other's opinion all right i've been through hell with another fan. Here let me show you something. This is a fan art made by somebody.

Rengori
03-27-2006, 05:42 AM

Fake source you say? Tch don't insult we supose to respect each other's opinion all right i've been through hell with another fan. Here let me show you something. This is a fan art made by somebody.
FAN being a key word here.

theundeadhero
03-27-2006, 05:44 AM
Fan-art that doesn't prove anything. All it does is express an opinion. For all we know, you made it.

Slade
03-27-2006, 05:58 AM
I've seen that fan art before....I always wondered why Locke was on there.

Eiko Guy
03-27-2006, 06:40 AM
terra is the main character because you start the game with her and she has to do things that she doesnt want to

ill edit it in the morning

TheAbominatrix
03-27-2006, 10:17 AM
What the hell does that fan art prove? I mean.... jeez, there's fan art showing Locke and Edgar having sex, does that mean that they're in love/lust in the game? Nope.

As for why Locke is in a picture of FF heroes, it's quite simple. He's a hero of the game. He's not the main character, but he's a heroic male. There's fan art of 'Final Fantasy heroines', with Rydia, Reina, Terra, Tifa, Rinoa, Garnet, and Yuna... and that doesnt make them the main characters of their respective games. It's fan art.

And I agree wholeheartedly with Kishi that you're making this magazine article up. You have no proof whatsoever, after all.

Oh look at this fan art... Selphie, I guess you just got bumped up to the main character of Final Fantasy VIII! Congrats! You too, Aerith! Despite the fact that Cloud is the undesputed main character. Cause fan art makes all the difference.

Michael Belmont
03-27-2006, 11:29 AM
Locke and Edgar having sex? Eww that was sick real sick i don't beleive in Yaoi/Yuri. And if you are thinking about the other heroines you are looking for Rosa Faris Tifa and Rinoa alright?

theundeadhero
03-27-2006, 03:07 PM
You don't tug on Superman's cape.
You don't spit into the wind.
You don't pull the mask off the ol' Lone Ranger,
and you don't argue with Kishi about FF.
A doo doot doo doo doo doot.

That picture is beautiful, btw.

TheAbominatrix
03-27-2006, 10:53 PM
Locke and Edgar having sex? Eww that was sick real sick i don't beleive in Yaoi/Yuri. And if you are thinking about the other heroines you are looking for Rosa Faris Tifa and Rinoa alright?

I really dont care if you dont believe in yaoi. I was making a point. Fan art has know bearing on the actual games. And really, dont waste your time dictating to me who the other heroines are.

undeadsexer: Yeah, I have loads and loads of gorgeous FF art. Nice song, btw <3

Rengori
03-27-2006, 11:15 PM

That picture is beautiful, btw.
Learned that the hard way.

Avarice-ness
03-28-2006, 09:26 PM
Uhm... On the picture that Micheal or whatnot posted.
Note the keyword there.. Which happens to be hero.
Main Character and Hero can be different things.
Sort of like in Games like Sword of Mana, In technicallities, You can choose your -main character- for the reason the story revolves mostly around them. And then the other person of whom you didn't choose would be the hero, but the hero still plays a large part.
=]

KoShiatar
03-29-2006, 12:36 PM

Yeps. Kishi ALWAYS knows more than you. Except on feathery chocobos, maybe.

boys from the dwarf
03-30-2006, 06:50 AM
Terra is necissary to complete the game, too. You just don't have to bring her with you. She's there regardless.
i think you have to go and see her in the world of ruin but you do not have to get her to join your party to complete the game

TheAbominatrix
03-30-2006, 09:49 AM
She comes at the end regardless of whether you recruit her or not, and you dont have to go see her at all.

Peter_20
03-31-2006, 08:40 AM
I read it in a magizine.
I cried aloud with mirth and merriment.:D

But anyway, I always thought all chars were pretty equal; Terra does have a couple of limelights, though.

Crossblades
03-31-2006, 03:29 PM
I read it in a magizine.
I cried aloud with mirth and merriment.:D

But anyway, I always thought all chars were pretty equal; Terra does have a couple of limelights, though.

She has the most limelights.

playaGAW
04-04-2006, 05:14 AM
Celes also has a lot of highlights too so do the Figarro brothers. Without their help the plot would not move along as a whole. The main character is who you want it to be you can argue for many characters.

Zeromus_X
04-04-2006, 06:26 AM
Ugh, isn't there an Ultimania guide for this game? I've always thought of Tina as the main character! :cat: Her lietmotif is the world map theme, she's in the logo, etc, etc. People just don't think she's the main character because she's not focused on in the World of Ruin. :cat:

*Sigh*...meh.:cat:

TheAbominatrix
04-04-2006, 07:03 AM
Celes also has a lot of highlights too so do the Figarro brothers. Without their help the plot would not move along as a whole. The main character is who you want it to be you can argue for many characters.

Yes, but that can be said of any game, even a game with a set and clear main character. Like VII. There are points that, without other characters, the game would not move along as a whole. That does not, however, mean Cloud is not the main character.

Michael Belmont
04-05-2006, 12:39 PM
That is why i'm working on getting past the japanese verson in hopes that the ending is diffrent.

Roto13
04-05-2006, 03:21 PM
Locke's not going to be the main character, no matter what version you play.

TheAbominatrix
04-05-2006, 04:18 PM
The ending is not different. You can download a Japanese rom and see as much.

KoShiatar
04-05-2006, 10:14 PM
Despite various censored things and slighly different dialogues, the final is exactly the same and so is the main storyline. Believe me, I know the Japanese game by now.

Michael Belmont
04-05-2006, 11:03 PM
Why should i if i find the ending is with Terra leting her hair free even in the japanese verson i'm gonna sue Square to find out what force them to decide that sex dosen't matter. But come on i know that in japan it's always male first before female and that's why there's no male pink ranger and no female red ranger.

Rengori
04-05-2006, 11:31 PM
Why should i if i find the ending is with Terra leting her hair free even in the japanese verson i'm gonna sue Square to find out what force them to decide that sex dosen't matter. But come on i know that in japan it's always male first before female and that's why there's no male pink ranger and no female red ranger.
Tell me how it is when you lose that completely sexist and doomed lawsuit.

TheAbominatrix
04-06-2006, 03:52 AM
Yes, because the Japanese dont have tons of anime and even video games with females as the lead characters. [/sarcasm]

And yes, actually, there have been female leaders in the Sentai (Power Ranger) shows you talk about. As well as extremely powerful women. If that becomes lost in translation, that's no Japan's fault. I'm not exactly sure those particular series have been translated and butchered, but oh well. If you watch the newest PR series, Mystic Force, it'd do you well to notice that the White Ranger is a female, and the leader of the team. She doesnt lead for long because she's killed (in the Japanese version) but she's leader nonetheless.

You're struggling to prove a point you know to be wrong. Please, go and get the Japanese version and watch the ending. Its the exact same. But go for it.

And I'd be glad to list leading females from various series if you still insist on this baseless argument.

Roto13
04-06-2006, 03:54 AM
Everyone from Ms. Pacman on :D