PDA

View Full Version : Computer purchase

Dr Unne
03-02-2006, 10:25 PM
I am thinking vaguely about buying a new computer. I think some people here know more about hardware than I do (that's not saying much, I know little). So here goes. My requirements are specific and my budget is limited. Short of someone actually doing my homework for me, a website and/or a general point in the right direction would be appreciated.

1. Must not require me to purchase Windows.
2. Nvidia graphics card. I don't care if it's old. I have a GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x. Anything better than this will make me happy.
3. Doesn't really need a soundcard at all.
4. Doesn't need an ethernet card.
5. 1GB RAM minimum. Don't care what speed. Don't care how many extra slots I have left over.
6. AMD preferable. 32bit preferable.
7. SATA HD support. I'm willing to hold off and buy the HD separate, but it comes with one, all the better.
8. I'm OK at assembling things at the cards level. Anything that requires gel and/or has the possibility of catching something on fire, I'd rather not do. Most of the "kits" I've seen give you a CPU and a heatsink and say "Have fun". I WILL destroy things, if I'm forced to do anything on that level.
9. Buying online is OK. (In fact, preferable.)
10. No monitor, keyboard, speakers, mouse, printer, etc.
11. DVD R/W +/- / CDRW combo drive of some sort preferable. I can live without the CDRW part if it saves money.
12. Some of the criteria above can be broken if necessary.
13. $250 is the absolute maximum I can spend. The cheaper the better though.

rubah
03-02-2006, 11:35 PM
I don't want to insult your intelligence by suggesting newegg.com, but as a total n00b, it's about all I can do!

Shoeberto
03-02-2006, 11:41 PM
If you want this machine to last you, don't get a 32-bit.

I know that Newegg, at least, doesn't even carry 32-bit AMDs anymore - at least none that I saw.

Also, most AMD cpu+heatsink/fan kits are very user friendly. It comes with its own patch of thermal grease at the bottom of the heatsink, so when the processor heats up, it can spread out etc. I just built an Athlon XP 64 machine and its heatsink was a TON easier to install than just the Athlon XP's. Theirs were so finnicky that I was afraid of scratched the CPU or mobo when installing.

Dr Unne
03-03-2006, 12:13 AM
On a scale from 1 to 10, how would you rank the relative difficulty of successfully putting together a CPU/heatsink kit versus, say, installing some RAM or a hard drive?

bipper
03-03-2006, 12:21 AM
Don't do Newegg. I have had better luck with www.zipzoomfly.com
Lot better set-up and alot better prices imo

Also, buy the seperate parts, and take your time putting em together. I know if you read the instructions, it would all be a sinch. I would also wait. I am looking at building a few $2000 USD machines, and I am looking at dual core. In my case, amd is comming out with ALOT of new features on thier dual core sets in a few months. If it can wait, I would wait for the enhancements.

just a few pennies worth

Bip

edit: Note on CPU heatsync It is easy. Very easy. Just dont force anything. Everything should always go together with ease. also, if your building, make damn sure you put the copper (usually) washers between your motherboard and the case. This is there to make sure your case does not ground out. I have seen umpteen people forget them and fry a perfectly good board.

Shoeberto
03-03-2006, 12:25 AM
On a scale from 1 to 10, how would you rank the relative difficulty of successfully putting together a CPU/heatsink kit versus, say, installing some RAM or a hard drive?
If you're rating RAM or HD installation as a 1 (being easiest), then I'd give it a 3. The only problems really stir from impatience. If you're careful enough and pay attention to the instructions, you shouldn't have any problems.

Dr Unne
03-03-2006, 03:53 PM
Thank you all for the advice.

Flying Mullet
03-03-2006, 04:06 PM
Does anyone have any good websites with instructions, tips, etc... on how to build your first computer? *is computer-building illiterate but has always been interested and doesn't know where to start*

Dr Unne
03-03-2006, 05:00 PM
I was reading this yesterday: http://www.pcguide.com/byop/index.htm

I'm uncertain how accurate or complete it is.

Yamaneko
03-03-2006, 05:33 PM
It's all pretty self-explanatory once you have all the parts with the case sitting in front of you. Heatsink mounting is easy too. The trick is not to overdo it with the thermal paste and allowing enough room to mount the fan (I suggest ball bearing fans instead of sleeves since they last longer and produce more airflow).

I also suggest getting at least an Athlon64 3000+ @ 2.2GHz. You can get one for under $150. The Venice core is a nice build.

I don't know what you're looking for in terms of GPU, but I wouldn't recommend anything less than a Geforce 6800GS (GT preferably). I also would recommend you get a motherboard with PCI-Express since AGP is being phased out.

Most motherboards have ethernet built in, as well as onboard sound.

As of right now AMD machines only support up to DDR400 RAM, and it's the only speed I would recommend. Nothing slower.

$250? I don't think it's possible.

bipper
03-03-2006, 07:21 PM
I just did one at zipzoomfly for $276 USD, that is just motherboard, processor, ram, and DVD/CD drive.

bip

edit - and two pink fans *women:p)

ceros
04-08-2006, 11:08 PM
There are motherboards that have integrated video, audio, and lan as well as usb, ps/2, a serial, and parallel port. Make building a computer much easier. I know Asus and PCChips make such boards. If you really need an AGP card, Asus and PCChips supply boards with just integrated sound and lan as well.

For graphics, I know Nvidia and ATI supply drivers for xorg. Look up the drivers to get a clue as to what card you should get.

For the heatsink/CPU difficulty, I give it a one. To me, all it means is installing the cpu, spreading the thermal paste on the cpu, and inserting the heatsink, and plugging the heatsink connector to the proper port on the motherboard. Nothing more. Just got to remember that amd uses different heatsink connections than intel.

Personally, I prefer newegg.com myself. They have deals everyday. Tigerdirect.com is another store I visit for computer parts as well.