PDA

View Full Version : How good do you think the love story in the 'notebook' was

darkchrono
03-03-2006, 01:57 AM
I recently watched the notebook and though the love story was interesting and made me want to watch to the end. I don't think however that the story was quite as good as alot of people originally thought.

First off if the two were really that 'in love' with eachother they would not have waited seven years in order to see eachother again. The two were adults through most of the love story and yet they act like they had the limitations of about two people who were twelve or thirteen who are basically limited to a few miles encircling there houses.

And also it did not make any sense at all that Allie did not get any of those letters. If it was a more realistic story Allie would have been out there at the mailbox as soon as the mailman delivered the mail to see if she had gotten anything from that guy. She would not have waited for her mom to tell her if she had gotten anything.

It is also unrealistic that they did not simply just drive to the place that the other person was once they had the means to do so. Both of them had a pretty good idea where the other person was more than likely living. Or knew where people lived who would know where the other was living at.

I don't know maybe back in the 40's people really were that limited as to what they could do but it is hard to believe that if the two characters were really as in love as the movie claims that they would just lay there and do nothing and just wallow in there misery for years on end when they had the ability to do something about it.

Personally I think the love story in a movie like Spiderman 2 was alot better.

Rye
03-03-2006, 12:27 PM
I thought The Notebook was an amazing movie/book, it makes me cry every time I see it. Usually I always prefer the book to a movie, but this is the one exception, since I can't decide if I like the book or movie better.

It's slightly cliched and unrealistic, but I love it all the same. :)

darkchrono
03-03-2006, 10:16 PM
Does anybody know how realistic the issue with how limited they seemed to be on what they could do about the situation was. I know if it took place in present day it would be very very unrealistic for them to be that limited on what they could do. But back in the 40's was it pretty realistic for them to show that they were that limited.

Shlup
03-03-2006, 10:22 PM
I think their limitations were pretty realistic. I thought the love story was okay.

darkchrono
03-03-2006, 10:28 PM
Yes but they both had the ability to drive and they both had phones (and if you watch the deleted scenes it shows a scene of Allie trying to call him once. Though I don't know when).

You'd think that if they were really that hung up over eachother one of them would have simply just driven to their place (as they both seemed to know where the other lived).