PDA

View Full Version : :dot:

Del Murder
03-03-2006, 04:50 AM
I have a flat panel monitor and there are two pixel sized dots on the screen that won't go away. One is red and one is blue. Is there a way to get rid of those? Even if not, how do I prevent more from appearing?

Dr Unne
03-03-2006, 05:00 AM
LCD monitors can have "dead pixels" which are pixels that are stuck at one color. This can be a manufacturing defect in the monitor (an artifact of the extremely complex technology used to make these things), and you can't fix it, at least not that I know of. Most monitor companies have a policy whereby you can return and exchange a monitor with a certain number of dead pixels. The number of dead pixels where they'll let do that you varies by manufacturer; my monitor it was 5 or 6 I think. If you just bought the monitor, I'd check to see if you can exchange it.

Yamaneko
03-03-2006, 05:16 AM
Dead pixels are black because they don't light up. Stuck pixels are "stuck" one color, like you've posted. While a dead pixel cannot be fixed because the liquid underneath the screen is useless, it is possible to fix a stuck pixel.

There are two methods to do this. One (which I would not really recommend except as a last resort) is to get a damp cloth and apply pressure at the exact location of the stuck pixel and nowhere else. While doing this turn on the monitor and it is possible that the light source underneath the LCD will "unstick" the pixel.

The other method, which I would recommend and is safer, is to flash the monitor with a video of the RGB colors. There's a program called <a href="http://sourceforge.net/projects/stucksweep">Stuck Pixel Sweeper</a> that does just that. You can try it out and see how it works.

Calliope
03-03-2006, 05:17 AM
Your computer has mono!

Xaven
03-03-2006, 05:31 AM
The other method, which I would recommend and is safer, is to flash the monitor with a video of the RGB colors. There's a program called <a href="http://sourceforge.net/projects/stucksweep">Stuck Pixel Sweeper</a> that does just that. You can try it out and see how it works.
*mesmerized*

...That is the coolest thing I've ever seen.

Del Murder
03-04-2006, 12:06 AM
I ran the rainbow thing and as it was running I tapped the pixels lightly and they went away. Thanks guys.