PDA

View Full Version : diffs in ps and snes versions

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
03-03-2006, 07:26 PM
I thought maybe I'd go through the game with both the SNES and PSX since I just got the SNES version. I haven't played through the script yet, but I've noticed a few differences so far. (I already knew about the Vicks-->Biggs and Fenix Down--> Pheonix Down changes.)

I used my stereo system to switch back and forth between both menu screens. The text is a different color for HP and MP and it looks a little different. Also, the PSX version seems a little darker when I went back to the same exact screen on the world map, the water looked darker.

The music sounds a tad different, although that might just be my stereo system b/c one's in the video2 and the other is in CD. But, I noticed after listening to Terra's theme for a half hour (don't worry, it was while I was doing something else!) on the Super NES version, I switched back to the PSX version. The music was supposed to be in sync. It was in sync a half hour ago, but now it was off by like 5 seconds or something. Weird, huh? Why would that happen?

DJZen
03-03-2006, 07:31 PM
As for that last one, I think it's for this reason. In the PS1 version of FFIV, if you stay in a battle for a long time, the music will actually fade out and then start from the beginning again. You can hear the disc being read while this happens. So it seems the music doesn't exactly loop the way it should. If this is also true of FFVI, that could explain why the music was out of sync.

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
03-03-2006, 08:52 PM
I don't think that happens in FFVI.

Tavrobel
03-03-2006, 08:54 PM
Also, for the color differences, there are not as severe as you might see them, because the PSX takes more advantage of colors than the SNES, but not by much. And two of the FFVI songs are altered by one note (or a half), one of them being Terra's theme, (the Overworld theme in WoB). I forget the other. And the menus are on slightly different defaults for both versions, if I remember correctly.

KoShiatar
03-03-2006, 09:19 PM
I seem to remember battle transitions are different, too.

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
03-03-2006, 09:21 PM
You're right! They added that in all the ports, except IV, to my knowledge.

I also remember when I played the SNES version when they were talking about saving, they don't use that weird word, befound.

Roto13
03-06-2006, 12:35 AM
Aside from the obvious things, like cutscenes (yay!), load times (boo!), and the occasional appearance of Squall (awesome), I can't really think of anything.