PDA

View Full Version : Sick Days

Rye
03-03-2006, 10:06 PM
Do you take sick days often? How sick do you have to be for you to want to take one?

In the beginning of school yesterday, my throat started to hurt so bad and felt so swollen and my ears started to hurt and I had chest pains, etc. I felt worse today so I stayed home. I really didn't want to because we had an assembly in History to watch Hotel Rwanda. Though I guess it won't be too bad for me since I've seen Hotel Rwanda, so it's not like I'll have no idea what happened if we have an assignment on it.

But anyways, I think I take too many sick days. I don't like to go to school even if I'm mildly ill. Last year I had about 8 to 10 absenses from school. Though I guess I have to keep in mind that I had pneumonia so I was out of school for a week and two days. THAT was pretty sucky. I love taking off from school, but I was sick and bored out of my mine. I have about 6 absenses so far in this school year. Which isn't too bad. Unfortunatly though, my school has a dumb new attendance thing that if you have 18 period absenses from any full year class, you get denied credit. I have to seriously watch my absenses. xD

McLovin'
03-03-2006, 10:14 PM
A kid at my school is absent all the time. It is still a mystery...

At my old (crap) school there were some kids who didn't come in for like a month and then one day they came...then they went somewhere for another week or so. Another mystery....

Shlup
03-03-2006, 10:28 PM
I don't have to be very sick to take a sick day because I work with infants and they don't want you spreading stuff around. If you're sick and contageous, you stay home.

Dreddz
03-03-2006, 10:30 PM
I dont generally bunk off school by faking being ill, but I do over exaggerate how ill I really am.

Stayin Dizzy
03-03-2006, 10:35 PM
I'm out of school but taking a day off work i gotta be sick. otherwise I'm throwing away money

Breine
03-03-2006, 10:51 PM
I don't get sick very often, but when I do it is really, really bad so I'm usually away from school for a week or more when I've fallen ill. It sucks, but I guess it beats getting sick all the time, though.

Meat Puppet
03-03-2006, 10:57 PM
i took a fake sick day last week. i got food poisoning on that fake sick day. now i've had sick week/ :(

Miriel
03-03-2006, 11:14 PM
From Elementary school all the way through to the 8th grade, the only time I took sicks days was in the 3rd grade for chicken pox. Then in high school I took a few sick days here and there until Senior year came around. Senior year, I had major senoritis and I took like dozens of "sick" days off. :D

Rye
03-03-2006, 11:18 PM
I definitely will have a major case of Senioritis when I'm a Senior. Just a school year and 4 months and then I'll be a senior... xD

rubah
03-03-2006, 11:45 PM
I haven't missed school for illness in nearly two years.

Zeldy
03-03-2006, 11:46 PM
A year ago I got an award for 100% attendance. Ive already blown that this year, I missed a few days at the beginning of term as I was on holiday. (I missed School photo's. HOW WAS I MEANT TO KNOW THEY'D BE SO EARLY? Everyone else has a fancy new year 9 one, I have an 11 year old wearing pig tails ;_; )

Im hardly ever ill, besides, if I was, my parents would still make me go in.
I always remember my Dad force feeding me Cereal. I threw it all back up in the school toilets.

K-chan
03-04-2006, 12:00 AM
I've already missed like 11 days of school. I'll take days off when I don't up for school or whatever. Then when I get really, truely sick I end up having to go to school because of some test. >> It all works out in a backwards way.

kikimm
03-04-2006, 12:06 AM
Yeah, I'm usually sick 8-10 days...maybe even more. It doesn't take much for me to tell my mom to call in sick. Sometimes I just really do not feel like going, cause I'm depressed or whatever, and so yeah. Maybe I need to take school more seriously, but whatever. Not caring right now.

Del Murder
03-04-2006, 12:16 AM
I hardly ever missed school for illness because I never got sick back then. I get it a lot more now, I guess that just comes with getting older. I had to take two sick days last month because I could barely move. That's usually what it takes. If I can move, I'll go in.

Kirobaito
03-04-2006, 12:19 AM
I take sick days if I'm sick, but unfortunately I don't get sick a lot. I get a feeling I'll be getting sick a lot more over the next two months.

Del Murder
03-04-2006, 12:22 AM
Give me a kiss and you can be out for about two weeks.

Rye
03-04-2006, 12:27 AM
Give me a kiss and you can be out for about two weeks.

Stop spreading your mono! xD

rubah
03-04-2006, 12:30 AM
Stop spreading your mono! xD
This chick in my math class had mono last year.

She'd sleep all day and come to school fifth hour just so she wouldn't miss Mr. Cato's class. then she'd get her mom to check her back out and go back home and sleep some more.

Rye
03-04-2006, 12:32 AM
Mono really sucks. I knew a kid who was absent for almost a whole year because of it. I've never had it, but I'm always getting checked for it or Epstein Barr (same thing, really) because I get sick so often and I'm constantly exhausted.

Tempest
03-04-2006, 12:35 AM
When I was young and in school I called in a lot in school because I didn't like it. In my short time in college, I never called in sick. For work, I have to literely be on my death bed before I'd call in sick. I don't like not making my money, that, and I don't get sick much.

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
03-04-2006, 12:41 AM
This year so far ive had like 8 or 7 sick days.
Some cause of sickness others just for not feeling like going to school. :)

RSL
03-04-2006, 12:49 AM
I used to miss school quite a bit because I was lazy. I don't miss work that much as I only get a couple sick days a year and after that I have to waste vacation days if I still want to get paid.

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
03-04-2006, 12:53 AM
Mono really sucks. I knew a kid who was absent for almost a whole year because of it. I've never had it, but I'm always getting checked for it or Epstein Barr (same thing, really) because I get sick so often and I'm constantly exhausted.

Whats mono? :confused:

RSL
03-04-2006, 12:55 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infectious_mononucleosis

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
03-04-2006, 12:57 AM
Oh thanks RSL.

Clouded Sky
03-04-2006, 01:11 AM
you'll find out when you start dating :P
sorry about that, xD

Anyway, I think I've only missed one day of school this year to illness, and in the three years I've been a part of the workforce I've only taken one day off for illness. Unless I can't move/speak, I'll get where I need to be.

Captain Maxx Power
03-04-2006, 01:15 AM
I never have sick days. I'll drag myself into work/uni no matter what. Nothing short of paralysing illness will stop me. I'm extremely stubborn and determined. Then again I don't get mega-ill these days. Gotta love that sweet gym work ;)

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
03-04-2006, 01:17 AM
you'll find out when you start dating :P
sorry about that, xD

Haha! I loled.:laugh:

ShunNakamura
03-04-2006, 02:00 AM
I used to be like Captian Maxx Power.

However, once I started going to college, I ran into a problem. I have to be fit to drive in order to get in. And most of my colds affect my distance judgment amount other things. An example is I couldn't afford to miss anymore days in my tuesday-thrusday class yesturday(far enough behind as is), so I drove in. All I gotta say is thank all that is holy that I got four wheel drive. And that I didn't hit anyone. I don't plan to try that again.

So I guess my thought of the matter is; if you can't safely drive in(and you are distance requiring that) then don't go in. That was stupid and foolish of me to try and drive in like that. It isn't like I got much work done anyways...

Rusty
03-04-2006, 02:21 AM
I don't get "sick" very often, but I get a lot of bad headaches. If my headache is really bad then I'll take the day off. Other than that, I'm a pretty tough cookie.

Yamaneko
03-04-2006, 02:32 AM
I never take off work because I know a lot of things depend on me being there and I feel responsible if I'm not. I'd have to be dying to miss work. School is another matter. That's entirely on me. and if I don't show up for class I can easily make it up.

nik0tine
03-04-2006, 03:18 AM
I miss at least one day of school a week. I'll probably have about 40 absenses this year alone.

Acid Raine
03-04-2006, 03:25 AM
Yeah. Ive taken 11 so far. And the limit is 10!!! :X

Del Murder
03-04-2006, 03:31 AM
I never take off work because I know a lot of things depend on me being there and I feel responsible if I'm not. I'd have to be dying to miss work. School is another matter. That's entirely on me. and if I don't show up for class I can easily make it up.
Well duh. The lab would be in shambles without the mad scientist.

Luc
03-04-2006, 03:53 AM
If I don't feel like going to school one day, and I happen to be a little sick, I'll just exaggerate how ill I really am, and end up not going to school. I usually don't do that though.

theundeadhero
03-04-2006, 04:23 AM
I don't remember much before high school, but in 11th and 12th grade I never really got sick. I would sometimes stay home just because I didn't feel like going in. 11th grade I did it occasionally. 12th grade at the beginning I did it rarely because I wanted to see my girlfriend at school, but the second semester I did it fairly often.

These days I can't just call in to work and say I'm sick. If I want to take a sick day they send me to the aid station and if I'm not really sick I kinda get in trouble. It's not really worth it. In the past four years I haven't taken a single sick day at work.

Acid Raine
03-04-2006, 04:26 AM
These days I can't just call in to work and say I'm sick. If I want to take a sick day they send me to the aid station and if I'm not really sick I kinda get in trouble. It's not really worth it. In the past four years I haven't taken a single sick day at work.

Where in the smurf do you work??? 0_o

theundeadhero
03-04-2006, 05:10 AM
Hair stylist.

Ashi
03-04-2006, 02:33 PM
Last time I didn't go to college was when my gran was in hospital.

Edit: Public schools around here are kind of like theundeadhero was saying. If you're sick there's this clinic that's backed by the ministry of health/ministry of education and if you miss a test or something you can't retake it unless you've got a note from that special clinic.

ShunNakamura
03-04-2006, 03:01 PM
If they are sending you to a special clinic they sure as bleep better pay for it. The reason we go where we go is cause it is cheapest.... and we don't have the cash for more expensive areas.

In my school that wasn't neccesary. When your village only has about 1500 people and your school only 300 students(K-12) at the most, you kinda know a lot about each student. Teachers almost always knew when it was faked illness. However, they knew it was just natural for me to be sick about 2/3 of the year. They didn't bother me. Of course the college doesn't care for my illness.... at least they didn't question the day I missed due to the after effects of the rabies shots.... actually nobody bothered me about that. Not a bit.

theundeadhero
03-04-2006, 03:14 PM
I don't even need need to pay a deductable. I'm in the Army. The only days I get off work are leave days, which I get 30 a year.