PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Memories

Rye
03-04-2006, 02:10 PM
As it's Newbie Day and Proto already beat me to my first idea... name your worst/best newbie memories?

I remember going into #eoff for the first time and Gau being really mean to me and scaring me so I didn't go back for months. I don't go to #eoff at all nowadays, but I did a few months after that for a while. Stupid #eoff. :p

Also I remember I was a total dork of a n00b, I was only about 12-13, I made a bunch of godawful FF parodies that landed me a place in SomethingAwful under my old name, Rikkuyuna89. xD

I don't remember many good n00b memories. But they're all pretty funny to me now.

Levian
03-04-2006, 02:14 PM
All the oldbies hated me when I was a newbie. Not much has changed, really.

Lost Number
03-04-2006, 02:16 PM
Newbie? I still am, I think.
Memories are of pian...suffering...degrogatory comments when I spell that wrong...

Loony BoB
03-04-2006, 02:24 PM
Probably being Knighted is my best Newbie memory, and the worst is probably watching people leave Staff on bad terms over the years.

Shoden
03-04-2006, 02:31 PM
I net spoke and never used alot less commas then I do now also I usually posted in the FF8 forum but now the only decent place to chat is GC. Good memories... Hmmm. Nope can't think of any.

Spiffing Cheese
03-04-2006, 02:34 PM
I don't like to talk about my early newbie days. :cry: *cough* Tidus fangirl. *cough*

Ashi
03-04-2006, 02:38 PM
Worst memory is how people were mean/rude/made fun of me for doing the :giggle: thing a lot. It was my "thing" just like other people had theirs. :rolleyes2

Best memories is meeting people and everything "feeling" new and how the forums had less members and it felt like a small community where everyone was familiar with everyone else. Then going to IRC on my early days and making friends and then taking those chats onto group Y!M chats on Saturdays while some of us used voice chat as well. Twas fun.

Shauna
03-04-2006, 03:37 PM
I really have no idea. Winning Best Newbie, I guess. *shrug*

Old Manus
03-04-2006, 03:37 PM
Ask scottnumbers

mooglebunni608
03-04-2006, 03:48 PM
I was trying to reply to someone elses post but I ended up making a whole new thread instead D: I didn't come back for a week..... *wich is a long time imo*
and constantly triple posting :P
wich I don't do anymore :P

theundeadhero
03-04-2006, 03:55 PM
I don't have any really exciting memories of my newbie days, but I'll always enjoy thinking about the newbie pies I would make around the holidays.

Shoeberto
03-04-2006, 04:09 PM
Being told by Cid that I was the most mature twelve-year-old he had ever met.

Also, the first anniversary. That stuff was wild.

Plus all the old oldbies that have disappeared over the years.

xX.Silver.Wings.Xx
03-04-2006, 04:11 PM
Using too many periods.... I still do... does that mean I'm still a newbie....? *shrugs* doesn't matter to me anyway...

rubah
03-04-2006, 04:18 PM
I remember on #eoff when Ragnarok gave me a random +h, which started my lust for the halfopxD

bad memories would've probably been how everyone in #eoff a year ago was talking about sports and only sports xD

I spent more time on irc than on the forums, and I still do :p I don't remember anything that happened on the forums then xD

RSL
03-04-2006, 04:30 PM
Probably getting told off by cid for swearing and spamming. I wasn't a very good newbie. Of course, I was also a Cid's Knight as a newbie, so that didn't help things.

Ki Ki
03-04-2006, 04:35 PM
Oh, I remember my newbie thread.
And HOOTERS lying to me about his name and Misfit being my first friend ever. And I remember someone telling me not to use "cum" instead of "come".:sweat:
I was probably the biggest Gackt fan without ever having listened to any of his music back then too.:choc2:

RPJesus
03-04-2006, 04:47 PM
Well, I'm still a newbie. I haven't changed much since I joined, and I don't hate myself now... so I guess the memories are good.

I remember the first night I was here. Everything seemed... darker, and browner. the first thing I did was PM some guy called Max guevara so that my brother could yell at him. That... was stupid.
I remember Leeza making me up a sig., and winning best newbie. That was good, if only 2 months ago.

Roto13
03-04-2006, 04:54 PM
I guess I'm still a newbie, really. My favourite newbie moment? Probably starting that "Christmassify your avatar" thread that actually took off. I was Christmassifiying people's avatar's all weekend :p

smittenkitten
03-04-2006, 04:56 PM
Hmmmm...Proberly finding out i had usernoites :love: and randomly attacking people with a handbag awe the memories :rolleyes2...

Rye
03-04-2006, 05:03 PM
Awwww, this is really interesting to hear about. I didn't know a lot of the stuff posted in this thread about the oldbies. xD

Raistlin
03-04-2006, 05:45 PM
Best newbie memories? Being Knighted. Fun EzBoard Times (TM). When EoFF became the biggest FF-related EzBoard and I made the thread about it. Antics with BOU, Jojo, etc.

Worst newbie memories? EzBoard drama.

Meat Puppet
03-04-2006, 05:51 PM
My best one would be of a word association thread. Hsu was a wizard, and he kept making the word go back to penis!

Stayin Dizzy
03-04-2006, 06:17 PM
my favorite thing as a noob was getting into heated debates with Dr. Unne in EoEo and getting really p'd off while he stayed tottaly calm LoL.

And reading Raineclouds news updates which I havent done in a long time

And seeing cool sigs Eternal Shiva made (did these two change names and I never noticed?? I never see em no more:( )

Miriel
03-04-2006, 06:30 PM
I remember being enforced by Del Murder in my newbie thread. ;)

Cz
03-04-2006, 06:45 PM
The first thing I ever did on EoFF was reply to about fifty threads in the FFIX forum, and then get my ass handed to me by Dr. Unne in a thread about censorship. My first day over with, I dropped into obscurity for about four and a half years, so don't really have any newbie memories beyond that.

kikimm
03-04-2006, 06:50 PM
Getting my first usernote. :heart: And I always laugh when I think about how paranoid I used to be, when I first joined. I didn't really have any experience at all with the internet and was still under the impression that everyone was out to get me. I wouldn't tell anyone my AIM or MSN or anything cause I was too scared to talk, and I refused to tell anyone my name for awhile and oh man just xD

Zeldy
03-04-2006, 06:51 PM
I was so lame back in those days. I used to say things like "Howz u?". My first ever pm was Leeza warning me about my signature. Lovely xD

Xaven
03-04-2006, 07:10 PM
I remember being totally paranoid about everything. And I was totally afraid of GC. So, I stuck around in the FFVIII forums for a few months and made my first post in the FFVIII Quote Quiz. My first signature was just few smileys. I remember I didn't sign on for a few months (late spring-ish), but slowly became a regular poster. Then I sloooowly made my way over to GC. I remember my spelling and grammar perfection phase, but I got told off by Leeza. :(

:)

The Summoner of Leviathan
03-04-2006, 07:32 PM
I remember when I firsted joined, and spamming with Faris and Yazoo'sQueen. I got my first warning then...

Now I do not spam and I post not so often, but the KH forum was my first forum I went too and I still frequent that a lot. Oh, also the first KH Riddle thread I posted in, those were fun because KH was pretty active then.

escobert
03-04-2006, 07:55 PM
All the oldbies hated me when I was a newbie. Not much has changed, really.

Yamaneko
03-04-2006, 08:00 PM
I'll second whoever said that the place felt "new" back then. The experience was more enjoyable. So those are my best memories.

Worst, I dunno. I wouldn't be coming here still if I had bad memories of this place.

Roto13
03-04-2006, 08:05 PM
Oh, yeah, I also remember being randomly chosen to be a Spoony Bard. I was so happy! I wish I still had that title. :)

bennator
03-04-2006, 08:13 PM
I remember I was afraid to go into General Chat (Bleys is Pants!) for almost a month.

Leeza
03-04-2006, 09:10 PM
It's been so long since I've been a newbie, but I remember not knowing how to make a sig or even attach one or knowing any html at all. Everything was new and I remember being just slightly intimidated by some of the Staff, but it was all fun. I don't think I have any <i>worst</i> newbie memories.

Elite Lord Sigma
03-04-2006, 09:53 PM
My only memory is constantly harassing Behold The Void with questions about custom user titles and other subjects.

McLovin'
03-04-2006, 10:05 PM
I remember joining. That was hell.

Rusty
03-04-2006, 10:39 PM
I think I was a terrible newbie. But my best memory was almost winning Best Newbie. I forgot who beat me...hmm.

Maxico
03-04-2006, 11:20 PM
Memories of my less... coherent times are not something I try to remember.

Agent Proto
03-04-2006, 11:43 PM
I was a very good newbie. Well, let's see, for me, being a newbie meant making new friends, and that's exactly what I did. :D

Awesomeman
03-04-2006, 11:49 PM
Best newbie memories? I dunno. I know I pissed some people off, lol.

Ramza Beoulve
03-05-2006, 12:11 AM
Well, I'm a newbie, and well, before that day I only readed the forum to death. I still remember my first post, my first sig warning (not happening anymore I swear) and my first told off of a post! thanks Leeza :D

Venom
03-05-2006, 12:28 AM
I remember joining....then posting.

Mittopotahis
03-05-2006, 12:43 AM
I hated my newbie days... When I used to post in FF8 and FFTA forums, saying how hot Rinoa Selphie Quistis etc. were.

*cries*