PDA

View Full Version : The Feather

The Last Oath
03-05-2006, 02:20 AM
1: The starting FMV
2: The Ending FMV

In the starting it shows a feather falling from the sky, And im not sure but during the end it shows squall grabing the feather and then the whole screen changes. This feather is also in Squalls gunblade i beileve. THERE IS A CONNECTION. The feather starts the game thus ends it. When you die and it says game over the feather is on the floor, When Squall almost dies at the end of the game the feather appears again but squall was in his depression at the time, it was the only thing keeping him alive along with Rinoas thoughts. But that was what almost killed him after the glass shattered. Rinoa goes to the 'place they will meet' at the start of the game but squall isnt there, but they hadnt actually made that promise yet. Thus rinoa didnt know who squall was, but squall had the feather in his gunblade which supposly flew in to the sky from the 'place they would meet'. There is something about this feather. I got ot go now but ill be investigating this now.

Kamrusepas
03-05-2006, 04:57 AM
I've just always thought that it's Rinoa's symbol.

The Last Oath
03-05-2006, 10:17 AM
Yes, that is possible. But if it is really Rinoa's symbol then why is it in Squall's gunblade. My proof:

When you die and get Game Over the gunblade is snapped in-half and the feather is on the floor.

It could still be Rinoa's symbol but squall didnt know about her until he became a SeeD.
Unless Edea knew because she recieved Ultmechia's powers and perhaps her memory as this is stated as a THEORY in other forums but there is still know proof of this. The feather could be something totaly different. Im thinking that it is the connection bewteen Squall and all the past sorceress including Rinoa and that is why the feather flew from 'The Place they Would Meet'(Squall and Rinoa).

Also the feather could be there becuase the whole major events all started when Ultemchia gave her powers to Edea when Squall was a child and the present Squall was also there and this all happened right near 'the place they would meet'. Edea was good before she became a bad sorcerer and Ultmechia took over her, perhpas it was the same with Ultemchia. Edea became good after she was beaten forcufully, maybe the same with Ultemchia so she put Squall into the time warp and then Squall gave the idea to Edea for SeeD, thus Ultemchia needed for Squall and Rinoa too meet later as well so she put a connection so that they would. This one feather. It gave Rinoa dreams blurry of the image of who was in it until she met Squall then she knew it was him she was dreaming of thus 'the place they would meet', THUS the place Squall and Rinoa have to think of to survive in Ultemchia's world, but Squall was in his own depression and he almost died, but the feather was there.

Now at the start of the game we see this feather go up into the sky, At the end this feather falls from the 'time warp sky' and leeps Squall alive with the thoughts of Rinoa. At the start of the game we also see Edea in the sky, Ultemchia must have planned this all to either kill the SeeD or the above of her becoming good/sane again. As For Edea in the sky the feather had to travel through time naturally so it would've taken time as to when it would arrive in the time warp to meet up with Squall. This could be complely wrong though because at the exact time Rinoa goes to look for Squall at their place where the feather took of it goes to Squall.

Perhaps Ultemchia did turn good once again after she was beaten physically and needed to make sure it would happen again in the next time. But only Ulti would think of this because she tried to compress time.

smittenkitten
03-05-2006, 11:32 AM
Feathers are Rinoas magical ability in a way and symbol so she send it to him so he remembers because he forgets then she finds him when she sent the feather if you understood that well done because I did'nt :D

Sir Bahamut
03-05-2006, 12:37 PM
I think smittenkitten's simple explanation is the most rational one here.

Rinoa sends the feather to Squall using her powers, but although Squall is reminded of Rinoa, it is only blurry images, and he eventually only sees Rinoa dying, causing him to collapse completely. Then Rinoa finally finds him herself and wakes him up.

Although it's obviously symbolic at the same time (Rinoas symbol, you might call it), I can't see it having a more direct meaning than that...

Skyblade
03-05-2006, 01:09 PM
I think that arguing that "the feather started the game" is rather flawed. The beginning FMV is not in chronological order. It shows many things that do not happen until later in the game. The part with the feather appears to be in the flower field at Edea's house, which Rinoa didn't even get to until about halfway through the game.

Sir Bahamut
03-05-2006, 01:58 PM
Oh yeah, forgot to comment on that. The opening FMV is, apart from Squalls fight with Seifer, a blend of events really happening in the ending FMV, along with some other stuff. Rinoa sending off that feather really happens in the ending. Square just put it in the ending so as to make a nice little loop to the game, to comply with the time-loop aspect of the game.

Future Esthar
03-05-2006, 02:57 PM
Are you kidding with me? It is STATED in the game that the initial FMV was a dream Rinoa had.

Sir Bahamut
03-05-2006, 04:02 PM
Maybe I'm mistaken, but I don't recall anyone ever saying "Gee, Rinoa, that dream you were talking about, that's what we see in the opening FMV!"

Granted, they are similar, but based on what we see in the ending, it's obvious that they are supposed to be part of the same series of events.

zbonks
03-05-2006, 05:44 PM
I think it has something to do with squall and rinoa. One scene shows Rinoa having wings and feathers come from wings!

McLovin'
03-05-2006, 06:32 PM
The Time-Loop thing gives me a headache.

rubah
03-05-2006, 06:52 PM
It's part of rinoa's angel motif. Just a reoccuring theme or pattern.

Rinoa_Heartillly
03-06-2006, 03:30 AM
I always thought that the feather was a symbol for Rinoa, and that when she was in the Edea's flower fields, before the promise and the talk to Squall, she made the feather and that it contained the thoughts of her dreams and Squall in it, and that's how it made it to the end where Squall was.

xX.Silver.Wings.Xx
03-06-2006, 04:42 PM
I always thought that the feather was a symbol for Rinoa, and that when she was in the Edea's flower fields, before the promise and the talk to Squall, she made the feather and that it contained the thoughts of her dreams and Squall in it, and that's how it made it to the end where Squall was.

I agree with Rino_Heartilly....

Zeromus_X
03-06-2006, 09:01 PM
I just thought it was symbolic of Squall and Rinoa's destiny...but any of these could work I suppose..:cat:

Jessweeee♪
03-06-2006, 10:50 PM
Maybe I'm mistaken, but I don't recall anyone ever saying "Gee, Rinoa, that dream you were talking about, that's what we see in the opening FMV!"

No, but if you remember at Edea's House that Rinoa talks about a dream she had? She didn't dream the ENTIRE thing, just not the parts with Edea in them and obviously the parts with Squall and Seifer fighting was actually happening at that time. She dreams them making a promise. She was in the flowers she was in at the end, and there's those captions...

Sir Bahamut
03-07-2006, 03:19 PM
Well, the opening FMV is clearly not the dream she had though, because in her dream she goes running off after Squall and doesn't find him, while in the opening FMV, she's standing quite still and ends up in Squalls arms. Of course, that fact means that it can't be part of the ending section either.

Let's just say it was an artful FMV by Square not meant to depict any literal event, but rather to serve as a nice little opening, portraying the themes of the game etc.

boys from the dwarf
03-07-2006, 04:08 PM
it a time loop. i never noticed the feather on the gunblade. the feather is rinoas symbol and the reason for that is the time loop. this is a very short and simple version but im sure someone can adapt this into something more descriptive because i dont realy have enough facts to make a full theory.

Jessweeee♪
03-07-2006, 10:39 PM
The FMV is Rinoa's dream and events in the game. The part with her falling in Squall's arms is when he goes to save her in esthar i believe.

The Last Oath
03-09-2006, 09:29 AM
yes, but if it was indeed a dream then why was rinoa dreaming she was in the garden then how did she know about the garden when she had never been there, and how about the feather in squalls gunblade?

Ramza Beoulve
03-09-2006, 03:35 PM
The feather is a representation of their destiny.

The feather is just a inserted effect of the destiny of both

And because she don't knew about the garden, that don't means she can't dream it.

Sometimes you can dream things that you have never seen. Thats the reason we have imagination, because we can create things that don't exist.

It is just a dream, and the fight Squall vs Seifer is just a FMV to explain the cut between their eyes, and to give a point were to start the story.

boys from the dwarf
03-09-2006, 04:11 PM
perhaps the feather is partially to do with the FF8s time set in stone theory?which i suppose is just a long way of saying destiny.

Sir Bahamut
03-09-2006, 04:28 PM
Well, the feathers purpose in terms of the timeloop is clear: by being an important object in both the opening and ending FMV, it links together the beginning and ending, just like the time-loop links together the beginning and ending through Ultimecias death. So the feather serves to play in with this idea. Nothing more though.

Anyway, the opening FMV bit with Rinoa in the flower field, is almost definitely just a symbolic, poetic FMV bit, mixing in elements of Rinoas dream, Squall and Rinoas promise, the ending FMV, and foreshadowing the ending (eg. Squall and Rinoa ending up in eachothers arms). It isn't meant to represent a specific event (ie. to specifically depict Rinoas dream), but rather set the tone for the beginning of the game by tying in the themes of the game.

I doubt it can be seen as anything more than that though...

Ramza Beoulve
03-09-2006, 04:43 PM
Well, the feathers purpose in terms of the timeloop is clear: by being an important object in both the opening and ending FMV, it links together the beginning and ending, just like the time-loop links together the beginning and ending through Ultimecias death. So the feather serves to play in with this idea. Nothing more though.

Anyway, the opening FMV bit with Rinoa in the flower field, is almost definitely just a symbolic, poetic FMV bit, mixing in elements of Rinoas dream, Squall and Rinoas promise, the ending FMV, and foreshadowing the ending (eg. Squall and Rinoa ending up in eachothers arms). It isn't meant to represent a specific event (ie. to specifically depict Rinoas dream), but rather set the tone for the beginning of the game by tying in the themes of the game.

I doubt it can be seen as anything more than that though...

Agree

Jessweeee♪
03-09-2006, 10:35 PM
OH MY GOSH!!! There are FEATHERS in my PILLOW!!! Who put those there?! Must've been Ulti...