PDA

View Full Version : No World Map - Yay or Nay?

AdVincent
03-05-2006, 06:55 AM
I actually like not having the big huge world map where you're a huge giant looking upon little cities which happen to enlarge when you walk near them, or maybe you just shrink...anyways...I thought it was nice to have the airship way of no travel.

Looking for secrets...sure, finding little dots on your map wasn't a very good replacement, but I'm way fine without searching for random crap. Reason so, is because of the amount of travel you already do in the locations set. From dungeons, forests, deserts, all that junk, I felt it made up for it.

xtreme112
03-05-2006, 07:06 AM
I too preffered the world map rather than choosing from a list of sites.
The world map is an essential element of rpgs. Tonnes of RPG's have world maps! Taking away the world map is like taking away the rpgness
and i liked maps as it was much easier to find a place to train your characters at.

Thoughtless
03-05-2006, 07:10 AM
I voted 'Sucked without' though that is not what I really thought, sure they did a good job of replacing it, but I really like to spend alot of time just exploring and finding secret places on the map, little hard on FFX, the absence of the world map made the game seem alot smaller.

I would've voted 'It wasn't bad' if the option was avaliable :P

mooglebunni608
03-05-2006, 07:18 AM
Nay i like world map :P
it wuz a lot less confuzing.

Little Blue
03-05-2006, 12:47 PM
No offense, but how was it confusing, you walk in a straight line, whereas a world map can cause you to get lost!

I missed the ability to fly and towering over towns. I would have been much happier flying into Sin, circling it, taunting it, like with the weapons off VII, instead of just selecting it off a list...

TheSpoonyBard
03-05-2006, 01:00 PM
I prefer having a world map to explore. I would've liked to have stumbled across the Omega Ruins myself, rather than searching for a coordinate on a grid. Perhaps they could've combined the two to create something similar to WA3's Seach Sphere.

Levian
03-05-2006, 01:52 PM
I agree with Endless Twilight. A world map is much better for hidden/secret areas than the system FFX used.

kikimm
03-05-2006, 05:04 PM
What Endless Twilight said is true, yeah. But I really don't care about secrets and stuff in games, unless it's like Drakengard but you know whatever.

So I liked the absence of the world map here. It worked for this game, and for X-2 obviously, and I wouldn't mind seeing something similar again.

theundeadhero
03-05-2006, 05:30 PM
I prefer world maps simply because it was hard to go back somewhere before you found the airship, and then once the airship was found it was possible to go places way to advanced in the game (I think).

Crossblades
03-05-2006, 05:43 PM
I would've liked a World Map

Rhi
03-05-2006, 06:55 PM
i think it was more realistic without a world map, cause althoguh the places wouldn't lead right into each other cause they're so spread out on the map, it was a lot more realistic than you shrinking, the cities growing

but i also like the world map so i'm easy

rubah
03-05-2006, 07:39 PM
I didn't miss it.

Yuffie514
03-06-2006, 05:31 AM
since i played that MMO, i often ran in the wrong directions. i liked how it was in Final Fantasy VII - Final Fantasy IX, both with the little square/global displays when you're out in the field.

Russielloyd
03-06-2006, 06:23 AM
I don't mond both. In FFX though, they could of made it that you saw the airship fly to the place you selected. I like that fact the it take ages to walk anywhere in the world, it gives it that realistic feel and being a part of the story in almost every area of the world, instead of seeing the main character twice the size of cities and places being so far apart from the next place.

boys from the dwarf
03-06-2006, 07:29 AM
i dont think that it sucked without the map but i would prefer it to have one, but with the new graphics it makes it hard to actually create a world map.

Jecht Shot
03-06-2006, 07:46 PM
I like world maps, but I also like FFX without it. It just made a world map seem kinda pointless to me. You're still going from point A to point B anyway, until you get a ship or an airship. Spira seemed larger to me because we didn't really get to explore every square inch, leaving a sense of mystery. At least thats what I think.

TheSpoonyBard
03-06-2006, 07:54 PM
Having just played FFX again for the first time in a while, I'd like to add something to my previous statement. Selecting locations from a list isn't such a bad idea. I always use the Ragnarok's auto-pilot in FFVIII, and using the list is not dissimilar. An ideal design, in my view, would be to have a world map to explore on foot/by air, and have locations previously visited on a list for easy access. I think it should show the airship travelling across the world map, and not simply acting as a hub for Traveller Sphere teleportation.

Dreddz
03-06-2006, 08:06 PM
The game didnt suck without it, but It would of been better off with it, the world map was an ongoing addition, kinda like Cid. Im pretty sure it didnt have it because FFX was on the PS2, various little reason in that big reason IMO.

mega_tonberry
03-06-2006, 10:04 PM
The absence of a world map didn't bother me. It goes along with the idea that you are on a pilgramage.

Dell
03-07-2006, 04:50 PM
i don't like it to be the list but i like to be the world map.
that's the place and source of my training. I always train at world map

HowlingMonkey
03-08-2006, 10:51 AM
NAY!

ffxfreak93
03-09-2006, 04:10 AM
world map,enough said

Zeromus_X
03-09-2006, 04:19 AM
Though it does stray away from tradition by getting rid of the world map, the way the game is played, it wouldn't need it. Or maybe that's just a result of not having one...Meh. "I don't know." :choc2: :cat:

Gh["]sT
03-09-2006, 01:55 PM
having no world map had no excitment to it like searching for things like on ff7 like getting knights of the round table and it made it more exciting never really knowing what u r going to fight and where and stuff so they should have had a world map i say:D

Mirage
03-09-2006, 02:34 PM
"Better with" would have been a better option than "sucked without". The existance of a world map isn't what makes or ruins a game.

Eiko Guy
03-09-2006, 05:52 PM
most of the people are complaining about how the size changed but would you really like to have to walk for like twenty minutes to get to zanarkand from calm lands

or if you make size real and all that sin wouldve crushed you and you would never be able to get in cuz no matter how strong someone is not even chuck norris would be able to curt open sin or evrae you would be crushed or eaten and that would be that so hex yea the map is cool thats why you mainly walk or run at a slow pace because they dont really get big that way its just easier to see them

d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x
03-09-2006, 08:23 PM
Vote: better without world map

but only just. i like the idea of being able to find things manually yourself but thats outweighed by the good stuff, like not feeling "spira is really small!?"

Jessweeee♪
03-09-2006, 11:20 PM
I voted I don't know.
I love the World Maps, but it just wouldn't fit with FFX.