PDA

View Full Version : What FF...?

Meimeiken
03-05-2006, 06:12 PM
Once upon a time...

I played this one final fantasy game. I really liked the game. Now, I'm trying to figure out which on it was. I borrowed it from a friend whom I lost contact with years ago, so asking him is out of the option. I'll try to explain what I remember, and hopefully you'll know which one I am talking about.

The Game
-Didn't really have that good grapihcs.
-You could walk around and you would randomly get attacked
-Here is a link to what I think it looks like: http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e274/Meimeiken/final.png
-You could like stay out during the day, but for night ot come, you had to go inside the castle thing.
-I played it on the playstation 1(psx)
-I know it's not 12,11,10,10-2, or 9.

I would be forever greatful if you could help me figure out which one it is.

Thanks
-Adam

P.s. If you want to email me, My email: meimeiken at gmail dot com

McLovin'
03-05-2006, 07:35 PM
It isn't 7 or 8 because they did not have castles. I don't remember 4 having what you described so that only leaves 1,3,5,and 6.

rubah
03-05-2006, 08:07 PM
Do you remember what the characters looked like? Or how many there were of them?

DJZen
03-06-2006, 12:43 AM
You narrowed it down to at least 7 games that I can think of.

Meimeiken
03-06-2006, 01:08 AM
First off,

- It's not a castle persay, it could be like a town.

-I have a feeling It's 6 for some reason, but I can't find any in-game shots to verify it.

- I don't really remember any of the characters name or anything...

So it could be:

-FFI
-FFII
-FFIII
-FFIV
-FFV
-FFVI
-FFVII
-FFVIII
-FF Tactics

-I'm pretty sure it came on 2 dics.

-It didn't look like 9, where it was all 3-d looking and stuff.

-I'll try to remember how it was played. What I remember is:

Walking in the castle, and there was like to doors(to new zones) on each side of the hallway. You would go out during the day and you could either walk along the path or just on the grass. I remember just like walking like over the trees(a forest) and the something coming up saying like 'you have been aggro'ed(not this terminology)' and then it would go to the screen with the monster. You could choose to try to leave the battle or stay and fight. The places you got aggroed at were random since you couldn't see the monster until it told you you were attacked. Then I remember going back to the castle, and it never letting me out again because I didn't have enough hp or something...

-I'm pretty sure the part I'm describing was at the very begging of the game because I don't think I got very far.

Were FFI and FFII even on the psx or were the on the snes? 'cause I'm sure it was on the playstation 1...

Thanks,
-Adam

black orb
03-06-2006, 01:21 AM
>>> Im not sure but I think you played FF chronicles..
Maybe it was FF4 or CT..

Zeromus_X
03-06-2006, 01:28 AM
This doesn't sound like any FF I've ever heard of...are you sure it was a Final Fantasy? :choc2: :cat:

Tavrobel
03-06-2006, 02:57 AM
This sounds like FFI or FFIIj.

Walking in the castle, and there was like to doors(to new zones) on each side of the hallway. You would go out during the day and you could either walk along the path or just on the grass.
- It's not a castle persay, it could be like a town.

In FFIIj, the first town has both the Castle, and the town where there is a path/grass. In FFIIj, there are hallways with doors on either side leading to a new area, unlike FFI, which doesn't really use that many changes of screens. In FFI, Corneria fulfills the 2 parts thing, having a Castle/Town. But one inconsistency is the random encounters in the Castle, which could mean it was the Chaos Sanctuary/Temple at the beginning (FFI). Not enough HP could mean that if you save-stated, then you would encounter the same fight, and not survive (lack of HP), but since it's PSX game...

-I'm pretty sure it came on 2 dics.
-It didn't look like 9, where it was all 3-d looking and stuff.
-I played it on the playstation 1(psx)
-I know it's not 12,11,10,10-2, or 9

Both are 2-D, and are on Origins, a 2 disc set.

-I have a feeling It's 6 for some reason, but I can't find any in-game shots to verify it.
- I don't really remember any of the characters name or anything...

It's not FFVI; you would remember it if you did play it. If you played any of the character driven ones (2, and then 4 and on), you would remember their names. FFI has all given names, and so does FFIIj, but there are "assumed" names, but you wouldn't remeber/know what they are unless you heard it from someone else. It can't be FFIIIj, because you
a) don't start in a town
b) first castle and city are separated
c) was never released in the US

-You could like stay out during the day, but for night ot come, you had to go inside the castle thing.

This however, does NOT sound like any FF, except for MQ, the Dentetsu Series (legends), not that I ever played them, so I would not know. The picture also does not look like any map from the numbered FFs. By a stretch, it looks like one of the Chronicles (FFIV and Chrono Trigger), also released on PSX, and comes on a 2 disc set. Tactics could look like this, but it does not come on 2 discs.

FFIV does not have the grass in the castle, or random encounters at the beginning, but it does have the Town/Castle set up like in FFI and FFIIj. I don't really recall FFV having a castle like that either.

So, it could either be FFI, IIj, IV (tentative), or Chrono Trigger. There's another filter for you from seven, but I added one more. There's also the possibility it wasn't a FF at all.

feioncastor
03-06-2006, 03:39 AM
Both are 2-D, and are on Origins, a 2 disc set.
Not that it is relevant to your point, but Origins isn't a two disc set. Both games are on one disc.

This however, does NOT sound like any FF, except for MQ, the Dentetsu Series (legends), not that I ever played them, so I would not know. The picture also does not look like any map from the numbered FFs. By a stretch, it looks like one of the Chronicles (FFIV and Chrono Trigger), also released on PSX, and comes on a 2 disc set. Tactics could look like this, but it does not come on 2 discs.

FFIV does not have the grass in the castle, or random encounters at the beginning, but it does have the Town/Castle set up like in FFI and FFIIj. I don't really recall FFV having a castle like that either.

So, it could either be FFI, IIj, IV (tentative), or Chrono Trigger. There's another filter for you from seven, but I added one more. There's also the possibility it wasn't a FF at all.

Tactics has no "night and day", in the gameplay. You can physically walk anywhere in tactics, like you do in other games. Have you played FFT? (By the way, if you haven't, you need to.

I've played all the FFs that the original poster said it might have been, well, except for FF3.

It sounds kind of like Castlevania II: Simon's Quest for the NES.

Screenshot of Final Fantasy 3/6j:

http://www.planetemu.net/php/articles/files/Image/Tixu/Final%20Fantasy%20VI/map(1).PNG

Screenshot of Final Fantasy I:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/21/Final_Fantasy_Origins_Outside_Corneria.png/227px-Final_Fantasy_Origins_Outside_Corneria.png

By the way, it doesn't sound much like the Mana (Seiken Desentu) or FFMQ. I've played all of those many times, and nothing about the description adds up at all.

I honestly don't think this is an FF game at all. If it meet all the criteria listed by the starter of this thread, it's almost certainly not an FF game.

And to the starter of this thread:

FFI - originally released for the NES (or famicom, in Japan), re-released in the USA as a set Final Fantasy Origins
FFII - Originally released for the Famicom only. Never made it to the NES. Later, re-released as the other part of Final Fantasy Origins.
FFIII - Has not yet been released in the United States, on any system.
FFIV - Originally released in the USA under the name "Final Fantasy II" for the SNES, later released as half of the set called "Final Fantasy Chronicles" for the Playstation 1.
FFV - Originally unreleased in the USA (But was on the Super Famicom in Japan), but later released as part of "Final Fantasy Anthology" for the Playstation 1.
FFVI - Originally released in the USA under the name "Final Fantasy III" for the SNES. Later released as the other half of Final Fantasy Anthology, for the Playstation 1.

And I think you know the rest.

Gilthanes
03-06-2006, 04:04 AM
My first thought due to your notes were VI (6). After you leave Narshe, you go to Figaro castle where you stay the night (and theres a night scene or two there too)

Thats my only guess

Slade
03-06-2006, 08:41 AM
-Didn't really have that good grapihcs.

It won't be VIII then. VIII had nice graphics. It was probably one of the earlier titles. Like, way earlier.

Vyk
03-06-2006, 08:47 AM
Docks? How many FFs have docks near the beginning. I would imagine if you played 6 you'd remember. What with the opening march through the dark and moody snow feild in mecha armor. 4 starts out with you on the deck of an airship in a fleet of airships after a raid. You say it was on PS1? I don't remember FF5... but that's an option. Certainly wasn't CT, you can see the enemies in there. And I think everyone's in agreement its not 7+ and anything before 4 wasn't released on PS1. So it's FF4-6...

Edit: Oops. Forgot origins... So I guess it coulda been 1 or 2...

CStrife
03-06-2006, 03:51 PM
From your description, iŽm pretty sure(but not completly) that isnŽt any of the following:
*V
*VI
*VII
*VIII
*IX
*X--»XII

Serch for pictures of 2-d FF games in google, maybe youŽll find something!

yuno
03-06-2006, 03:51 PM
has anyone here played "legend of dragoon"?i think this is the game in question.

if anyone can relate to me,i think this is the part when dart has to rescue shana from the castle-prison thing.and i think it fits the description "doors on both sides".

this game is on a 4-disc set though,so im not really sure.but who knows?comment?anyone?

DeathKnight
03-06-2006, 04:05 PM
has anyone here played "legend of dragoon"?i think this is the game in question.

if anyone can relate to me,i think this is the part when dart has to rescue shana from the castle-prison thing.and i think it fits the description "doors on both sides".

this game is on a 4-disc set though,so im not really sure.but who knows?comment?anyone?

Beautiful game!:exdee:

Nah this game's graphics are too great for it to be the one that he described.

Remember, he said "graphics weren't that great":choc2:

DJZen
03-06-2006, 05:56 PM
LoD had awful graphics. What are you talking about?

I'm starting to think that this was actually a Dragon Quest game.

Squall2
03-08-2006, 06:22 PM
LOD was a great game! it had great graphics for it's time. It wouldnt have been that because u cant "walk over trees" or anything. TLOD official web page is weired, they claim they actually found a cave with paintings of them all. Strangely enough, the "vidoes" look very poorly faked and the "live webchat" with the head archiologist has the same responses everytime and the "Doc" must have been sat there for years! lol

theundeadhero
03-08-2006, 07:47 PM
It really sounds like no FF game. It doesn't sound much like Dragon Warrior 7 either. Is it possible that you just remember it being an RPG so you assume it was an FF game?