PDA

View Full Version : NO LEVEL UP??

Stayin Dizzy
03-06-2006, 08:28 AM
ok im gettin irritated. It's like 3 in the morning and ive been fighting battles for like 3 hours and my weapons arent leveling up. I'm playing Dawn of Souls, and I figured I gotta beat ff2. I have the original translated in a rom, and I never beat it due to I thought ff2j=the suck, but its the only ne till 9 i havent beat so its time has come. The only thing really going up is hp stats with guy in the high lead. I'm only right before you take the first ship, but I've been fighting for hours with no level ups for anything except hp (here andthere I use magic and magic/intellegence/other stuff goes up. But I need my weapons and whatnot to get tough...any advice??

HowlingMonkey
03-06-2006, 09:58 AM
Weapon levels only level up in battles that are challenging. Beating up a bunch of goblins with your level 3 sword skills won't do anything, but take on an adamantoise with that and you'll level up. My advice is just follow the story, your stats are the things that matter and those should be high by now.

DJZen
03-06-2006, 05:46 PM
I think it's actually based on the monster's rank. But yeah, find tougher monsters to kill.

Masamune·1600
03-06-2006, 06:44 PM
It's actually based on more than monster rank, although rank is a component in raising weapon and magic levels. Both weapon and magic levels are bound to formulas that incorporate rank, number of uses, and current weapon/magic level. Specifically, the formula for weapon levels is ((10 + Rank + Number of Attacks with weapon type) - weapon level). The first attack, however, does not count toward the number of attacks. Rank always applies to the first enemy targeted; if your first target is an ally, the rank is assumed to be 2. In other words, if you attacked a rank 3 monster 3 times with a sword, and your sword level was 4, you would gain 11 experience toward sword level 5.

This being the case, extending battles (or, as previously suggested, fighting better monsters) would be a good idea. You might consider turning your attacks on yourself; striking your allies would allow for more attacks, which in turn would help raise your weapon levels. This could also help increase HP totals; in addition to periodic increases, losing any HP at all allows for a chance increase.

Strength, Intelligence, and the like also obey chance; every physical attack has a 1/16 chance of raising Strength, every White Magic spell cast has a 1/16 chance of raising Spirit, and so on. Hence, the more times you attack, the more likely you are to increase a character's Strength.

Captain Maxx Power
03-06-2006, 10:39 PM
Strength, Intelligence, and the like also obey chance; every physical attack has a 1/16 chance of raising Strength, every White Magic spell cast has a 1/16 chance of raising Spirit, and so on. Hence, the more times you attack, the more likely you are to increase a character's Strength.

So I take it this is a seperate check for each attack? E.g. first attack, 1/16 Strength might go up, if not then second attack 1/16 and so on, rather than having at least sixteen attacks to guarantee a level-up?

Stayin Dizzy
03-06-2006, 10:59 PM
thanks a ton guys. I continued on with the story beat the first boss and got the mythril (he was a pushover since my magic was so high from hours of trying to level up), so I got the mythril weapons and I went down to that penninsula and am fighting super tough guys. I got my weapon skills to level 7 (is it out of 10??) but my attack is still only 24. Its ok though cause I doo upwards in the 200's damage against regular monsters. Still no damage in penninsula but I cast protect all-3 attack one heal all and a couple speels and i can beat em all except the condor lookin things which just turn me to stone. I'm probably high enough to spank the 1st part of the game

Masamune·1600
03-07-2006, 01:43 AM
So I take it this is a seperate check for each attack? E.g. first attack, 1/16 Strength might go up, if not then second attack 1/16 and so on, rather than having at least sixteen attacks to guarantee a level-up?

Yes. One could attack 16 times and not see an increase. Also of note is that Strength, Spirit, and the like cannot increase by more than one point per battle.

DJZen
03-07-2006, 03:57 AM
I got my weapon skills to level 7 (is it out of 10??)

No, it's out of 16. I should point out though that getting your weapon still that high is easy. Getting magic skills that high is pointless and time consuming.

Zeromus_X
03-07-2006, 04:10 AM
Just wondering, how high should spells be at the end of the game? (Original and Origins, not DoS.) :cat:

HowlingMonkey
03-07-2006, 11:33 AM
The only spells worth levelling up are the elemental triumvarate and cure. I had my elemental spells about level 6 and cure level 8-10. The final boss is mostly defeated by physical attacks anyway, so it doesn't matter too much.

DJZen
03-08-2006, 07:52 AM
actually, at that point in the game there's not many foes with elemental weaknesses. Although if you're gonna level up fire/thunder/blizzard, you might as well level up scourge too. I'd say Holy and Flare are better to have at level 10, as well as cure and life. The rest can be level 8 or lower (I prefer 8 for buffs/debuffs).

rikkupainegoofydonald
03-09-2006, 12:17 PM
Instead of leveling up, you gain stats, HP, MP and Weapon in battles. Maximum Magic and Weapon levels are 16.

DJZen
03-09-2006, 05:32 PM
Yes, this is well known. Daryn's only question was why he couldn't raise his weapon skills.