PDA

View Full Version : Start up time

TheAbominatrix
03-08-2006, 12:12 PM
Okay, my computer has been being a giant poo-face lately. Nothing too awful, but I wanted to check in with your computer savvy types to make sure it isnt about to asplode and take a small city block with it.

When I turn the compy machine on, I get a black screen for quite some time. I'd say a couple minutes, average, before it gets to the Windows loading screen. After that, everything is normal and boots up fine and all that.

Yes, I am shutting down properly.

So, should I be worried? In general I really don't care, as long as this isnt a precursor to serious damage. If it isnt, I dont mind too much.

So yes. Tell me. TELL ME NOW.

Shoeberto
03-08-2006, 08:34 PM
Give us your exact specs, or at least to the best of your knowledge. Processor, amount of RAM, version of Windows, etc etc.

crono_logical
03-08-2006, 09:14 PM
Several minutes seems insane, especially if this is just for before the loading screen appears :p I assume this is XP :p You might want to try defragmenting first, though something odd like this might be asking for some heavy duty analysis tools :p

bipper
03-08-2006, 09:27 PM
When I turn the compy machine on, I get a black screen for quite some time. I'd say a couple minutes, average, before it gets to the Windows loading screen. After that, everything is normal and boots up fine and all that.

During this time, does your hard drive have difficulty spinning. Like rev up, rev down. IF you cannot hear it, grap a spoon and put the handle towrds where the drive is, and your ear on the wide end of the spoon. You should be able to hear it rev up or down. If it revs up and stays, that is good.

Rule of thumb, spray the thing out with canned air before you even start diognosing hardware :)

Bipper

Yamaneko
03-08-2006, 11:04 PM
Try hitting F8 throughout all of this and see if you get a list of options first. If you do, start in Safe Mode and see if it takes as long.