PDA

View Full Version : Magna Carta

The Last Ancient
03-08-2006, 06:04 PM
Has anyone played it, just curious what it's like?? Hows the story, characters, music, gameplay??

~SapphireStar~
03-08-2006, 07:10 PM
I so want this game so damm badly! Its not getting a European release as far as I know. So I may have to get some cash together and get a chipped PS2 and get it imported from Ebay.

Dreddz
03-08-2006, 09:05 PM
Misleading Game title ( If you studied English History )
Isnt that good from what Ive seen from reviews. I probably wont bother Importing it. ( Typical it never arrived on the EU shores. Typical )

Awesomeman
03-08-2006, 09:18 PM
It got terrible reviews. If you like your women characters with huge....and your guy characters looking like drags, then this game is for you. But the battle system, I hear, is terrible.

Dreddz
03-08-2006, 09:24 PM
I havent seen terrible reviews of the game, just average ones, mainly 6's and 7's.

Awesomeman
03-08-2006, 09:29 PM
Well, I read some pretty terrible ones. After finding out that that white haired sword person was a guy, the game creeped me out.

Obsidian
03-08-2006, 09:42 PM
I've been playing through it. Terrible, terrible. I do not think I want to finish it.

The gameplay is more monotonous than most monotonous games I have encountered lately... But, from what I hear, the game is essentially an afternoon art project from a Korean game studio. The character designs are definately not my thing... All the stuff about giant breasts/monstrously apparent nipples are absolutely true. But since this entire game seems to be a vehicle for the artwork, how much like like the boobage/drag-ish males will make most of the difference.

Awesomeman
03-08-2006, 09:45 PM
Exactly. Finding out that the main hero dude was a guy was a turn off. I don't even want to touch the game now. And I agree, the artwork isn't great...at least I don't like it.

~SapphireStar~
03-08-2006, 11:05 PM
I love the artist, Hyung-taekim I believe, but from what Im reading, Im glad I have missed out. I did think the lead guy was a woman when I first saw the images.

Carmilla
03-08-2006, 11:16 PM
The games art style is what got me interested in it. But when i learned the main character was a HE i also did a double take... :mog:

The lukewarm reviews of 6's and 7's also didnt do much to sway me in the games favor. :choc2:

kikimm
03-08-2006, 11:45 PM
I love the artist, Hyung-taekim I believe, but from what Im reading, Im glad I have missed out. I did think the lead guy was a woman when I first saw the images.

Yes yes yes! He's spectacular. Drew my avatar. ;D

But yeah, the game isn't all that great. I haven't finished it, but it's pretty standard, and doesn't really try to break out of any mold. It's just pretty.

Madame Adequate
03-09-2006, 03:45 AM
I've only seen the first twelve or so hours, but I really loved it. When I get some money together it's one of the first things I'm getting, import tax be damned.

The art's neither here nor there IMO - the boobs are a bit irritating, but I have no problem with the feminine looking guys. The only really big problem I had with it was the voice acting, but I heard that was due to an unfortunately-timed voice actors strike, so they had to use amateurs (And I mean amateurs.)

However, I can say nothing but good things about the fighting system. Frankly, it's brillaint. Not revolutionary, but it has enough nice new ideas to be worth it, and combine that with the generally excellent solidity of the system, and you've got a game worth playing.

In my opinion. I've not seen any terrible reviews, I should say.

black orb
03-09-2006, 04:53 AM
>>> I really like the artwork and character design, and I can stand a monotonous game play as long the game has a decent story..
Femenine looking guys and giant breasts are the norm in the game industry specially in RPGs, I dont know why people is so fussed up about this..

Awesomeman
03-09-2006, 06:56 AM
Yeah, but when you think the lead he is a she, then it gets weird. I didn't think Sephiroth was a chick even if he sorta looked like one, and the same goes for Kuja. And the nipples popping out look like they are boltz on a steel gurder. Thats weird, gross, and freaky. Its just me though...

Carmilla
03-09-2006, 01:55 PM
>>> I really like the artwork and character design, and I can stand a monotonous game play as long the game has a decent story..
Femenine looking guys and giant breasts are the norm in the game industry specially in RPGs, I dont know why people is so fussed up about this..

Yeah but the main male character has pants that show off half his upper thighs and hes wearing a g-string for Odins sake!

That goes a lot further than Alucard in Castlevania or Sephiroth in FF 7. :love:

Madame Adequate
03-09-2006, 02:09 PM
Yeah but the main male character has pants that show off half his upper thighs and hes wearing a g-string for Odins sake!

I know, he's cute. But he's no Azel, who is :kaolove2: But yeah the characters are great, whatever you think of their appearance.

black orb
03-09-2006, 03:19 PM
>>> Dude Sephiroth didnt looked like a chick..

Oh yeah, I finally saw some pics of that Calintz guy (he looked like a guy to me), his face looks like Vaan from ff12..

Awesomeman
03-09-2006, 07:58 PM
No it doesn't! He looks like a her! And Seph sorta looked like girl.

black orb
03-10-2006, 12:47 AM
>>> Ok ok I get it, everyone looks like a girl besides problably.. Barret..

~SapphireStar~
03-10-2006, 02:33 PM
Just been sufing on the net and according to Eurogamer, MC is meant to be getting a European release on the 7th April:

Korean developer Softmax's historical simulation Magna Carta for PS2 will be with us on April 7th, says publisher 505 Gamestreet. Originally released by Atlus in the USA, Magna Carta scored reasonably well in most quarters, and sounds like a pretty decent genre game. We'll let you know whether it's as rubbish as all that "Which Magna Carta!" stuff we tried earlier once we get our hands on it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=62920

So I may have to give it a look in :D

Also Sukioden V is meant to be getting a European release also. Just found that out too, didnt know if it had been confirmed yet:
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=62634

Ashi
03-10-2006, 09:16 PM
The game isn't really worth the hype, but battles are somewhat fun.

Load times between maps is kind of long, and I don't think it's my PS2 dying on me because I've heard other people complain of this. And I played it on a family member's brand new PS2 and it was still slow.

Camera angles in towns can get unflattering if you happen to go to certain corners. They confuse you sometimes because they switch to where you came from and you end up going between two spaces and the camera view would quickly toggle between the two.

When on maps with monsters your characters won't let you go off into directions different than the place that you need to be. Also if you clear a map from monsters it stays empty until some "event" happens (something story line related) so this doesn't really give you much of a chance for extra levelling. So try covering all areas of the map before going to the direction that the tell you to go to if you want to get the max exp for your characters. I don't know if you would be allowed to go to other areas later in the game when there is no particular town that you need to get to. I'm barely 20 hours in and I am not sure how far/not far that is in the game. A strategy guide actually comes with the game but I haven't bothered to check it.

The story, I can't comment much on because I don't really pay attention.

Battles are interesting for me because they are different than games I usually play. Characters have certain battle styles. A battle style is just a different set of moves. You set this during battle if you want to use a different one than the last one you used. Your character can learn new styles if you find scrolls and use them from your item menu (outside battle). Certain styles can only be learned by certain classes, for example sword users, magicians, healers and so forth. In battles, when it's your turn you can choose whoever character in your party that you want to use to fight (sometimes all three characters are available, sometimes just one - some are faster than others but I'm guessing the ones you use in more tend to be faster - and by that I mean the "turn gauge"). When it's your turn, a random move from your current style will be picked. To use it you have to click three different buttons in a certain amount of time (the three buttons will be shown on your screen and they will rotate as you start clicking, start using the top one as this confused me at first). If you fail to click all of them once they reach the top your move will fail and you will lose your turn. It was fun getting used to this. With each style you learn you have to do moves perfectly so you could master them.

Looks like I got carried away :hahaha:

The Last Ancient
03-11-2006, 07:58 PM
Seph just had long hair, he didn't look like a chick. Now Kuja on the other hand.

Rengori
03-11-2006, 08:03 PM
That's just cause of his clothes. If Sephiroth's clothes were like Kuja's, you'd think he was a chick to.

theundeadhero
03-11-2006, 08:20 PM
I was convinced enough that the main character of FFIX was a girl when I started playing that I named him Michelle. Throughout the game I just decided to continue thinking he was a girl, and that him and Garnet were into each other that way.

Reine
03-16-2006, 06:03 PM
I never saw Calintz as a girl, I thought he was the trademark badass guy in every RPG...

Also, its coming out soon here in NZ, in a few weeks

Vyk
03-17-2006, 06:03 AM
The problem with the game might have to do with a little scuttle Atlus had internally. I heard they were dealing with a strike of some sort when the game was needing published. So they had to deal with an outside, cheap rookie company for localization. Hence horrible dubbing and stuff. As for the gameplay complaints. I've no idea. I haven't played the game. I hear they're bringing it to X-Box and going to re-do it. So I'm holding out for that, hoping they do it right and make it better. In either case, I'm sure the X-Box release (if it's still going to happen) will be more worth your while.

Markus. D
03-17-2006, 07:22 AM
this game sorta sounds like (from what ive read from this thread).... Gackt the Game?

Reine
03-17-2006, 07:29 AM
XD

yeah, thats perfect

~SapphireStar~
03-18-2006, 01:13 PM
GOD! I want 7th of April to get here now?! Cant wait to play it!

Madame Adequate
03-18-2006, 06:32 PM
I was convinced enough that the main character of FFIX was a girl when I started playing that I named him Michelle. Throughout the game I just decided to continue thinking he was a girl, and that him and Garnet were into each other that way.

That is classic. xD