PDA

View Full Version : Genesis Or SNES ?

Dreddz
03-08-2006, 08:39 PM
Ive been in big discussion on other forums over these two consoles. Every says that the SNES was miles better than the Genesis, I argue that its not.
Maybe Im being bias as I owned a Genesis instead of a SNES. But I play both the Genesis and SNES right at this moment, and I can say I prefer the Genesis alot more.
Maybe its for different tastes, the SNES had a better RPG selection, and although I love RPG's, Genesis still has games that stand out more than the SNES. The Genesis wasnt really a machine for RPG's, but it did had ShadowRun which beats a hella lot of RPG's on the SNES, although FFII + III are better. Other than that, the Genesis had much better franchises, Shinobi, Sonic, ( dare I say it ) Ecco, PS and Streets Of Rage which is a great Beat em Up. And for the KO punch, the Genesis had Moonwalker. Who dosent love this game, You wont be able to Moonwalk, save Girls, shoot stars and play as the michael jackson while listening to the Smooth Criminal on the SNES.
Opinions....

Rostum
03-08-2006, 08:45 PM
I always liked the SNES better.

bipper
03-08-2006, 08:54 PM
The genesis was slightly ahead hardware wise, while the Snes had the good RPG's etc. Though Shining Force (and SFII) for the genesis were VERY cool, as well as phantasy star.

Its all on preference imo. I had a genesis, and my good friend had the SNES.

Bipper

theundeadhero
03-08-2006, 10:39 PM
Shadowrun was the only Genisis game I really liked. The SNES had a lot more than one.

Shoeberto
03-08-2006, 10:43 PM
Shadowrun was the only Genisis game I really liked. The SNES had a lot more than one.
Shadowrun was also on the SNES anyway.

I liked the SNES better. All I ever liked on the Genesis were the Sonic games.

Dreddz
03-08-2006, 10:44 PM
ShadowRun was crackers on the SNES though, the Genesis version was alot better....

Maxico
03-08-2006, 10:51 PM
You're going to get an overwhelming Snes responce.

I never really liked the SNES though, looking back at my childhood the only game I ever enjoyed on it were Contra 3 and Street Fighter II.

The Mega Drive (you americans should cut the Genesis crap) on the other hand has tons of games I loved.

Oh and you missed Ristar, Dynamite Headdy and Gunstar Heroes.

Dreddz
03-08-2006, 10:54 PM
Im not american, Im British. I call it the genesis because thats the name it was originally given so I think its probably the proper name.
I didnt mention all the good titles, just my personal favourites, I missed Terminator and Robocop Vs Terminator. Those where great games, Terminator 2 wasnt though !

Agent Proto
03-08-2006, 10:55 PM
I owned both Genesis and SNES, however, I prefered the SNES because the games look better. Not saying that Genesis games aren't that good. I only had a Genesis to play Sonic games and other games exclusive to Genesis.

Carmilla
03-08-2006, 11:01 PM
SNES by a mile.

Sonic was a good franchise but still couldnt hold a candle to Mario World 1 and 2.

Dare i mention Super Metroid, Zelda a Link to the Past or Super Mario Kart?

How about the Lufia games? FF 4 and 6. Secret of Mana. Shadowrun (which is an amazingly underrated game). Chrono Trigger. Illusion of Gaia. Fzero, etc.

Imo, the SNES was the GREATEST video game console ever created. :choc2:

Maxico
03-08-2006, 11:02 PM
Im not american, Im British. I call it the genesis because thats the name it was originally given so I think its probably the proper name.
I didnt mention all the good titles, just my personal favourites, I missed Terminator and Robocop Vs Terminator. Those where great games, Terminator 2 wasnt though !

I know your British, and Genesis isn't the proper name. It was called the Mega Drive when it was originally released in Japan and was called Mega Drive in every territory besides America.

Obsidian
03-08-2006, 11:05 PM
While Final Fantasy II/III admittedly topped them all, I definately prefer the Genesis RPG library. The Phantasy Star and Shining Force games are some of my all time favorites. And then you start getting into some very obscure titles, many of which are very sweet. Sword of Vermillion and Warsong are two that are on the to of my head. Then there are the Lunar and Popful Mail games on Sega CD, if you want to count them as well.

Chakan, the old Spiderman game, and (duh) the Sonic series were standout platformers for me.

And anyone who has played Dinosaurs for Hire gets a cookie. A big one. :D

Dreddz
03-08-2006, 11:20 PM
I know your British, and Genesis isn't the proper name. It was called the Mega Drive when it was originally released in Japan and was called Mega Drive in every territory besides America.
Well, I didnt know it was called Mega Drive in Japan, so I just based my thoughts on the American name which was named before the Mega drive came to the EU....

Rase
03-09-2006, 12:29 AM
SNES. It just had way more games that I enjoyed, such as:

Super Metroid
Super Mario RPG
Chrono Trigger
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Final Fantasy IV and VI
Illusion of Gaia
Super Mario Kart
F-Zero
Super Mario World
Sword of Mana

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but I know there are many more.

NM
03-09-2006, 12:36 AM
SNES. Best console ever imo.

theundeadhero
03-09-2006, 12:45 AM
The Sega Genesis and the Sega Megadrive were two different systems in America. The SNES Shadowrun game was an entirely different game than the Genesis version.

Erdrick Holmes
03-09-2006, 01:14 AM
Genesis had Sonic. SNES had Mario. Winner= Genesis
Genesis had Phantasy Star. SNES had Final Fantasy. Winner=Genesis
Graphics and Sound. Winner= SNES
Default controller. Winner= SNES

They're both valid.

Carmilla
03-09-2006, 01:17 AM
Phantasy Star over Final Fantasy on a FF forum is blasphemy! :p

XxSephirothxX
03-09-2006, 01:30 AM
I was a Sega kid growing up, not really by choice, but just due to the fact that I'd grown up seeing the Genesis. I never owned an SNES, so I have more fond memories of Sega's system, and I've always preferred Sonic over Mario. But I wouldn't try to argue that the Genesis had more quality titles than the SNES, because, frankly, it didn't.

bipper
03-09-2006, 02:41 AM
A cookie to the monkey whom knew the difference between the Mega Drive and its 16 bit Genesis counterpart.

The Mega Drive was out prior to the Genesis and hosted some of the SWEETEST games evar. Hands down.

I remember playing this when I was about 4, definatley before elementry school. I loved it.

So mega drive wins this thread.

Bipper

Tempest
03-09-2006, 03:12 AM
While the Sega Genesis had some great games, it just can't compare to the SNES. So many great games on that system it's ridiculous.

Sephex
03-09-2006, 03:26 AM
I like both systems, but SNES kills Genesis by far. I like to enjoy my games without that godforsaken buzz sound that plauges almost every music track and sound effect in Genesis games. That alone made me like SNES better.

Madame Adequate
03-09-2006, 04:04 AM
Genesis wins. SEGA beats Nintendo in this, as in all things.

Let's see.

Eternal Champions.
Flashback.
Comix Zone.
Ristar.
Altered Beast.
Toejam and Earl.
Ecco the Dolphin.
Alien Soldier.
Gunstar Heroes.
Shinobi.
Dynamite Headdy.
Golden Axe.
Streets of Rage.
Mercs.
Dune: The Battle For Arrakis.
Shining Force.
Road Rash.

Not to say the SNES is in any way a bad system, or lacking in good games, but pretty much any individual example I just gave there is worth tracking a Mega Drive down for. I can only think of a small number of SNES games which deserve that, and they're all RPGs.

DMKA
03-09-2006, 04:21 AM
SNES. The fact that this question even exist is blasphemous.

Erdrick Holmes
03-09-2006, 04:22 AM
Phantasy Star over Final Fantasy on a FF forum is blasphemy! :p

Yes, I'm blasphemes.

Sephex
03-09-2006, 04:32 AM
SNES games that were great that were not RPGs

Super Mario World
Super MArio World 2: Yoshi's Island
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Star Fox
Super Metroid (yeah, that ALONE kills all Genesis games)
Kirby Superstar
Super Baseball Simulator 1.000
Actraiser
Mega Man X
Mega Man X2
Donkey Kong Country
Turtles IV (awesome beat 'em up)
Super Punch Out!
Final Fight 3
Castlevania IV
Super Star Wars
Super Emprie Strikes Back
Super Return of The Jedi
*Vastly superior versions of Street Fighter games
*Vastly superior versions of Mortal Kombat games (especially II and 3)
*Vastly superior versions of Earthworm Jim 1 and 2 (I know I may be alone on this one, most people think those games did not age well)
*Hell, vastly superior versions of any game that appeared on both SNES and Genesis

Now, with that list I will combine it with the RPG list:

Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI
Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana
Earthbound
Super Mario RPG
Tales of Phantasia
Seiken Densetsu 3

While most of the SNES best games were RPGs, the SNES still had plenty of games that were pure gold that were not RPGs.

MecaKane
03-09-2006, 04:36 AM
Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger alone beat every Genises game! :love:

cal113
03-09-2006, 04:37 AM
I don't know about everyone but in my oppinion they aren't two systems that can be compared fairly. Each excelled in their own field. Both systems have awesome games and legendary gaming icons.

Del Murder
03-09-2006, 04:46 AM
Duh, SNES had Final Fantasy!

Rostum
03-09-2006, 08:32 AM
A cookie to the monkey whom knew the difference between the Mega Drive and its 16 bit Genesis counterpart.

The Mega Drive was out prior to the Genesis and hosted some of the SWEETEST games evar. Hands down.

I remember playing this when I was about 4, definatley before elementry school. I loved it.

Bipper

In Australia we called it Mega Drive, and the 16 bit counterpart was called the Master system.

(BTW, Alex the Kid ftw!)

To expand on what I said; there are some awesome mega drive games, but I still found myself liking the snes games more.

NeoCracker
03-09-2006, 01:24 PM
Snes By far. Best games for that Generation of systems. Though I will give props to the Genisis, It had Toejam and Earl, Best Genisis game ever.

Fatal Impurity
03-09-2006, 01:35 PM
all i can say is: ALICIA DRAGOON

one helluva game way ahead of its platformer/shooter time.....

Madame Adequate
03-09-2006, 02:06 PM
Sephex:

Of everything you said outside the RPG list, only the Donkey Kong games* and Star Fox are actually really brilliant games. I haven't played the baseball one, Actraiser, or the Super Star Wars games. Everything else is overrated, just like most of the stuff Nintendo produced before the N64 (Which I can't deny, was a fucking kickass system.)

The Genesis had the superior versions of most games, especially Mortal Kombats, and I preferred that version of Earthworm Jim.

And as for RPGs, excepting Earthbound (Which is terrible) that's a pretty good set of reasons to get a SNES, or at least ZSNESW.

* I can do nothing except prostate myself and apologise for having forgotten those, though. Credit where it is due.

Maxico
03-09-2006, 02:08 PM

Bipper

You're thinking of the Master System http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_System which may have been similary named but never named the Mega Drive to my knowledge.

The Mega Drive on the other hand
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_Drive (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_Drive) was changed to the "Genesis" in America because they couldn't secure the name "Mega Drive" in America.

bipper
03-09-2006, 02:17 PM
You're thinking of the Master System http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_System which may have been similary named but never named the Mega Drive to my knowledge.

The Mega Drive on the other hand
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_Drive (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_Drive) was changed to the "Genesis" in America because they couldn't secure the name "Mega Drive" in America.

HA, schooled and duley noted! I will rip the half digested cookie out of whomever's stomach recieved it, and pass it on to you.

That makes more sense, and sounds more familier to me. When I bought my genesis I notied the box had said somthing along the lines to comparing it to the mega drive - I think that may be where my misinfo came from. I can check, as I think I used the box for storing junk at my parents house.

lol,thx again
Bip

Fatal Impurity
03-09-2006, 02:24 PM
HA, schooled and duley noted! I will rip the half digested cookie out of whomever's stomach recieved it, and pass it on to you.

That makes more sense, and sounds more familier to me. When I bought my genesis I notied the box had said somthing along the lines to comparing it to the mega drive - I think that may be where my misinfo came from. I can check, as I think I used the box for storing junk at my parents house.

lol,thx again
Bip

cool i do the same thing....my MD box died storing a some fairly heavy adapters and stuff though.....oh how i cried lol :(

Sephex
03-09-2006, 08:27 PM
Sephex:

Of everything you said outside the RPG list, only the Donkey Kong games* and Star Fox are actually really brilliant games. I haven't played the baseball one, Actraiser, or the Super Star Wars games. Everything else is overrated, just like most of the stuff Nintendo produced before the N64 (Which I can't deny, was a smurfing kickass system.)

The Genesis had the superior versions of most games, especially Mortal Kombats, and I preferred that version of Earthworm Jim.

And as for RPGs, excepting Earthbound (Which is terrible) that's a pretty good set of reasons to get a SNES, or at least ZSNESW.

* I can do nothing except prostate myself and apologise for having forgotten those, though. Credit where it is due.

Well, if you haven't played some of those games, then I understand that part. But games like Super Metroid and A Link to the Past overrated?! No way!

And I still think that SNES had the better versions of Mortal Kombat. MK1 is debatable because SNES version had no blood and some edited Fatalities...but the SNES had much, much, much, much, much better framerate and animation.

However, with MKII and MK3, I feel that there is no question that the SNES experiences were closer to the arcade experience. MKII for Genesis didn't even have all the fighting backgrounds (you fight Shao Khan in a different background than the arcade and SNES version)!

Dreddz
03-09-2006, 08:34 PM
The fighting is what matters though, and the Genesis version tops the SNES....

Madame Adequate
03-10-2006, 12:08 AM
Well, if you haven't played some of those games, then I understand that part. But games like Super Metroid and A Link to the Past overrated?! No way!

Super Metroid is good. A bit like, say, Extermination. You can play it, have fun with it, but it's nothing special. ALTTP is as terrible as all the other-down Zelda games, which are collectively worth less than the original Alundra is, alone.

However, with MKII and MK3, I feel that there is no question that the SNES experiences were closer to the arcade experience. MKII for Genesis didn't even have all the fighting backgrounds (you fight Shao Khan in a different background than the arcade and SNES version)!

Gnah, forgot to omit MKII. 3 moved back to being great on the Genesis IMO, but yuo're right, II had some notable weaknesses.

Now what was that SNES game where you had like some crazy race on unicycles or something?

Sephex
03-10-2006, 12:35 AM
The fighting is what matters though, and the Genesis version tops the SNES....

The SNES controller was better right from the start. The original three button Genesis controller was unusable for those games. You had to purchase that six button controller (which felt really akward to me). The shoulder buttons on the SNES version worked out bettter, anyway.

I'm my own MILF: About the unicycle game...I know what you are talking about, but I do not know the title of the game.

edczxcvbnm
03-10-2006, 12:49 AM
BlAst PROCessiNG1 RUULLSE11!!!1

Dreddz
03-10-2006, 05:29 PM
The SNES controller was better right from the start. The original three button Genesis controller was unusable for those games. You had to purchase that six button controller (which felt really akward to me). The shoulder buttons on the SNES version worked out bettter, anyway.
Well, this is only your opinion, search the web and You'll see that the majority dont follow you....

bipper
03-10-2006, 05:37 PM
Best controller ever goes to the ps2, imo - which was based off the SNES rendition (obviously). Therefore, even though I was diehard sega, I will go with Sephex on this one.

Good thread

Bip

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-10-2006, 05:44 PM
The genesis was slightly ahead hardware wiseThe Genesis was horribly behind the SNES in terms of sound and visual quality, actually. The SNES had what remains one of the best sound chips ever developed for a cartridge-based system, and in terms of graphics, it possessed a remarkable color palette, clean transparencies, unique rotating and scaling effects, and 3D capabilities thanks to the Super FX chips. The Genesis's specs were simply crude by comparison, and it was all Sega's marketing department could do to try to compensate by making up buzz words like "blast processing."

blackline77
03-10-2006, 05:47 PM
of course the snes.

Madame Adequate
03-10-2006, 08:55 PM
The Genesis was horribly behind the SNES in terms of sound and visual quality, actually. The SNES had what remains one of the best sound chips ever developed for a cartridge-based system, and in terms of graphics, it possessed a remarkable color palette, clean transparencies, unique rotating and scaling effects, and 3D capabilities thanks to the Super FX chips. The Genesis's specs were simply crude by comparison, and it was all Sega's marketing department could do to try to compensate by making up buzz words like "blast processing."

So now the aesthetics do matter?

Shoden
03-10-2006, 09:05 PM
I loved the Sega Mega Drive, still have mine. Sonic was faster and more addicting than mario for me and it had James Pond, Golden Axe, Steets of Rage, Ecco The Dolphin, Zool and lots of other cool games.

Awesomeman
03-10-2006, 09:08 PM
I go with SNES. I played the Genesis, and the games, in my opinion, sucked. Except Sonic. Sorry, but I grew up with the SNES, playing Donkey Kong Country, Yoshi's Island, and Mario Kart. Gotta love the Nintendo!

Dreddz
03-11-2006, 12:04 AM
Although Sonic made his name on the Genesis and was pretty neat, there was so many more games that were better than Sonic.

Awesomeman
03-11-2006, 12:26 AM
Yeah, I didn't really play much Genesis games. They bored me.

Nick Schovitz
03-11-2006, 12:32 AM
You are at an FF forum and you expect people to say Genesis? It's SNES better games and more buttons, When I played NBA Jam on genesis I couldn't even do everything on it like I could for SNEs because it didn't have enough buttons. So with that I say SNES

hint hint: Super mario Kart Super Mario RPG Kirby Superstar, and DK C.

Medi
03-11-2006, 12:39 AM
SNES games that were great that were not RPGs

Super Metroid (yeah, that ALONE kills all Genesis games)

Amen to that. Also, throw in a Chrono Trigger and a Final Fantasy IV and VI, and we are good to go.

KentaRawr!
03-12-2006, 02:54 AM
I never really liked the Sega Genesis much. However, Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Knuckles is probably one of my favorite games EVER. It's like, the ultimate side-scroller. There were more SNES games I could call good, but Sonic 3 and Knuckles takes the cake as one of the best games of all time.

Despite this, I liked the SNES alot more. My only wish is that Sonic would have aged better. :cry:

fantasyjunkie
03-12-2006, 09:19 AM
oh, I had both. You couldn't lose with either system, they were both great.

NeoCracker
03-12-2006, 09:44 AM
Best controller ever goes to the ps2, imo - which was based off the SNES rendition (obviously). Therefore, even though I was diehard sega, I will go with Sephex on this one.

Good thread

Bip
I actually thought the game cube controller was the best, but I digress from the point.

While SNES is far superiour I will say that Genisis was still entertaining. The games i miss from that system were toejam and earl, Sonic Pinball. A fun was the one you were the 7-up red dot with the sun glasses. Good times.

Madame Adequate
03-12-2006, 01:08 PM
I actually thought the game cube controller was the best, but I digress from the point.

While SNES is far superiour I will say that Genisis was still entertaining. The games i miss from that system were toejam and earl, Sonic Pinball. A fun was the one you were the 7-up red dot with the sun glasses. Good times.

The Cubay controller is so bad it actually hurts me after an hour or two. Main reason I don't play the thing.

But yeah Cool Spot was a pretty sweet game. :D

KentaRawr!
03-12-2006, 05:41 PM
The Cubay controller is so bad it actually hurts me after an hour or two. Main reason I don't play the thing.

But yeah Cool Spot was a pretty sweet game. :D

What's cool spot? o.o

And how are you holding that controller?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-12-2006, 06:09 PM
The natural successor to the California Raisins in terms of banal mascots (http://www.vgmuseum.com/pics3/coolspot.html).

Madame Adequate
03-12-2006, 07:26 PM
What's cool spot? o.o

You played as the 7-Up mascot of the time, and ran around doing the usual platformer things. It was like, modern games based on movies, except this was based entirely around a character made to advertise a product. Also the game was pretty competent, amazingly enough. Nothing special IIRC, but easily worth playing.

And I hold it like I hold every other pad. But I have big hands (I mean the old, large X-Box pads are pretty much perfect for me.) so the GC controller requires odd contortions of me due to the location of the shoulder buttons.

KentaRawr!
03-12-2006, 07:29 PM
What's cool spot? o.o

You played as the 7-Up mascot of the time, and ran around doing the usual platformer things. It was like, modern games based on movies, except this was based entirely around a character made to advertise a product. Also the game was pretty competent, amazingly enough. Nothing special IIRC, but easily worth playing.

And I hold it like I hold every other pad. But I have big hands (I mean the old, large X-Box pads are pretty much perfect for me.) so the GC controller requires odd contortions of me due to the location of the shoulder buttons.

Ah, I see. Lucky me for being a young chap, then. :p

yoshigirl
03-15-2006, 05:04 AM
ya, i agree with all the snes votes. i have both sega and snes and ive played snes probably 5000000 more times than Genesis, cause no offence, genesis is ok, but snes rocks. and ill have to add, if there was no snes, then there would be no n64 (sob sob)

(CECIL120X
03-26-2006, 09:22 PM
snes.......game boy advance games still can't make games as good as the originals. plus thers the final fantasy and other awesome series.