PDA

View Full Version : Gaming Magazines

Agent Proto
03-08-2006, 11:07 PM
Do you have any subscriptions to a gaming magazine? What gaming magazines do you like? Why do you have a subscription to one? If you don't have a subscription, do/would you buy gaming magazines?

Heh, stupid questions, but serious answers. I've been a fan of gaming magazines, but I don't have subscriptions to any. :/ I tend to like reading them to find out about new games, and read the reviews for said games. I used to have a subscription to Nintendo Power, but I don't have it anymore, since it's obviously a Nintendo-biased magazine. Nothing wrong with that, of course, because it's Nintendo Power. As for the other magazines, I would buy an issue or two if the games covered inside interest me. Often times, magazines are a good source for nice pictures to use for drawing. :D But that's just me.

Dreddz
03-08-2006, 11:11 PM
nahhh Gamespot is free ....

~SapphireStar~
03-08-2006, 11:11 PM
My boyfriend use to get Edge cause it was meant to help with his computer animation course. I use to get CVG all the time, but I cant seem to find it anymore, they gave good reviews. I barely get any now cause my boyfriend picks them up from work cheap when he can, or when Im on the market with my nana I will see what there is. I also sometimes get Electronic Monthly.

Often times, magazines are a good source for nice pictures to use for drawing.
Im not the only one! Or I cut stuff out for my walls or books :D

kikimm
03-08-2006, 11:48 PM
I used to sort of have one for PSM but then I kept forgetting to pay and so it went bye. :D I'll get around to trying to get it again, sometime in the near future, since I do like reading those magazines.

That's the only one, though.

~SapphireStar~
03-08-2006, 11:49 PM
OMG! I forgot PSM, my grandmas newsagents use to only get 1 copy in and Id snatch it up. They were great, specially when Adam Warren did their front covers, plus some of the art sent in was amazing.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
03-08-2006, 11:58 PM
nahhh Gamespot is free ....
IT IS!?!??!

SeeDRankLou
03-09-2006, 12:05 AM
I think I get Gamer's Monthly Review. Whatever you get for free when you get a GameStop card.

Rase
03-09-2006, 12:20 AM
I get Electronic Gaming Monthly because I've found that I usually agree with thier reviews, but of course, there are always exceptions (see: Thief: Deadly Shadows). Aside from that, my dad gets Computer Gaming World and the Official Xbox Magazine. He gets CGW because he likes computer games more than console ones (can't say a blame him), and OXM because we got a free years subscription with Xbox LIVE.

Captain Maxx Power
03-09-2006, 12:43 AM
PC Zone. It's friggin' hilarious for one thing, and about the best gaming platform bar none, the PC.

edczxcvbnm
03-09-2006, 12:44 AM
I no longer get any. The only one I use to get was EGM but they turned to /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif. Nothing else out there is good. I prefer to get my info and stuff instantly from news websites. Magazines are always a month behind.

Skarr
03-09-2006, 02:15 AM
I don't subscribe to any. I just go to the shop each month and purchase my mag. Electronic Gaming Monthly is one kick ass magazine with some insanely funny...and not so funny reviewers.

I love it though...but FFVI not placing in the top 10 in their 200 greatest games of all time list, BLOWS!!! xD

Winter Nights
03-09-2006, 02:27 AM
Nope. I pick up a mag every now and then if there is something of interest to me in it, but I rarely game nowadays, so it'd be a waste of time and money to get them regularly..

Tempest
03-09-2006, 03:21 AM
Actually, suscribing to a magazine is a hell of a lot cheaper then buying one once a month or once in a while.

I used to get a lot of gaming magazines like EGM, GamePro, PSM, OPM and Game Informer but, I'm letting them all run out and just going to get Game Informer.

XxSephirothxX
03-09-2006, 03:28 AM
I need to renew my EGM subscription, as it ran out a few months ago. I used to subscribe to Nintendo Power, too, but it's always been a pretty weak magazine. EGM, though, has the best writing and commentary of the gaming magazines I've read.

Winter Nights
03-09-2006, 04:32 AM
Actually, suscribing to a magazine is a hell of a lot cheaper then buying one once a month or once in a while.

I used to get a lot of gaming magazines like EGM, GamePro, PSM, OPM and Game Informer but, I'm letting them all run out and just going to get Game Informer.
When I say everynow and then, I mean like 3-4 times a year. And thats between 3 different mags. Plus I don't read reviews that often, except online. I usually will only buy a mag if it seems to have info on a game or hardware that I haven't seen elsewhere. Which, considering the internet, is rare. And most magazine articles end up online eventually, i.e. EGM and 1up.com.

Vincent Valentine
03-09-2006, 11:00 AM
From my own personal experience, there are only two magazine on the market worth buying. They both give well informed opinions about the gaming industry, and don't end up falling for all the souped up hype that most magazines have a habit of generating just to sell a few extra copies.

Edge
GamesTM

For those not in the know, I'll describe both below.

EDGE tends to take a more feature led approach. It focused very heavily on what goes from inside the industry, concentrating on the companies and people that help keep it running. It's review and preview sections are pretty top class, but they tend to review only the most important games (You won't see reviews of thrash like Leisure Suit Larry or stuff like that), so they don't review every game that is released. To a casual viewer, those sections might seem quite small, but they make up for it by being of an infinately better quality than probably any magazine out there. Unfortunately, the magazine does have a somewhat cynical outview of the industry. While it might oft times be justified, it can get on your nerves sometimes.

GamesTM, as it's name implies, focuses more on the games themselves. It's review and preview sections are larger, but they definately don't sacrifice quality for quantity. There are less features than in EDGE though. It tends to be less cynical than EDGE as well, and the magazine has a consistent humour and wit throughout that makes it fun to read. It's also boasted by having a dedicated (about 40 pages) retro section.

----------------

If you actually want an unbiased opinion on the industry, you would have to be idiot any single format or "official" magazine. The people who work on those magazines are usually arrogant fools who hype up anything to do with their machine, and end up being grossly misinformed too, half the time.

I wouldn't touch a gaming site with my bare hands.

Pheesh
03-09-2006, 11:04 AM
I love my official playstation 2 magazine, australia. I'm currently looking up employment for the magazine. I'd love to write for them. Gaming and journalism in one job *drools*

Stay Super
GG

Tempest
03-09-2006, 05:55 PM
When I say everynow and then, I mean like 3-4 times a year. And thats between 3 different mags. Plus I don't read reviews that often, except online. I usually will only buy a mag if it seems to have info on a game or hardware that I haven't seen elsewhere. Which, considering the internet, is rare. And most magazine articles end up online eventually, i.e. EGM and 1up.com.
Yeah, that's why I'm just letting my subscriptions run out, except GI. Free is still better then paying for a subscription, that's for sure.

Old Manus
03-09-2006, 08:37 PM
I get OPS2, and used to get pcgamer in about 1998 before it went downhill

Dreddz
03-09-2006, 08:55 PM
IT IS!?!??!
Well thats what I always thought, Was a fooled !?

Cz
03-09-2006, 08:58 PM
Vincent Valentine got it about right. GamesTM is the best gaming magazine out there, although now they're under a new publisher, whether that'll stay the same is unclear.

Strider
03-09-2006, 09:00 PM
The only one I've got is Game Informer, the one you can get through GameStop. Pretty interesting stuff.

Ryth
03-09-2006, 09:20 PM
I have a subscription to OPM, CGW, and EGM and my brother has a subscription to PSM, he doesn't read it though. I don't take the time to read them as thoroughly as I used to but I still read them enough. I enjoy reading them, especially the reviews. I used to have a subscription to GameNOW but they stopped coming out, they were too merciful with their game reviews in my opinion, they sometimes gave some games higher grades than they deserved. Even though they're a little slow with the information I still depend on them for all my gaming needs.

Maxico
03-09-2006, 10:00 PM
Yes, GamesTM is THE best gaming magazine out there.

EDGE is a little pretentious.

Slothy
03-09-2006, 10:42 PM
I only have a subscription to Gamepro at the moment, however I'm not too taken with it over the last few years, so once the subscription runs out I'll be dropping it. It's a shame that a lot of my favorite editors have all left and the quality has suffered as a result.

I've also been picking up OPM every month for years though, and have just started getting Game Informer. Two very good magazines there. I refuse to subscribe to OPM because I don't trust the postal service with those demo discs, but GI will definitely be taking the place of Gamepro in my mailbox.

Awesomeman
03-10-2006, 12:27 AM
Electronic Gaming, and Game Informer

Yuffie514
03-10-2006, 01:21 AM
i have some magazines from Electronic Gaming Monthly, but mostly it's Game Informer.

TheBrent
03-10-2006, 01:47 AM
I have a GI subsrciption, I don't really like it much but it came free with my EB Games discount card.

ffxfreak93
03-10-2006, 02:55 AM
i get gameinformer,electronic gaming monthly,and official playstation 2

Vincent Valentine
03-10-2006, 03:07 AM
Yes, GamesTM is THE best gaming magazine out there.

EDGE is a little pretentious.
I wouldn't worry to much Maxico. I've picked up issue 41 (finally!), the first issue, and they haven't messed around with the formula of the magazine in the slighest. It's still as honest as it used to be, and just as dedicated to focuses on the sides of gaming that many magazine would tend to overlook.

As far as I'm concerned, at the end of the day, it's just nice to read a magazine that doesn't think that Final Fantasy is TEH GREATIST RPG EVA!!!1!1!1. :D

Craig
03-10-2006, 03:20 AM
I used to buy Gamesmaster.

(CECIL120X
03-26-2006, 09:41 PM
i don't subscribe to any(im dumb because i can save money) i get Electronic Gaming Monthly cause its good Nintendo Power cause i can get the new titles.(the mag recently is getting bad in the funny and critisism department) pocket games or something like that.

I also need to buy my manga and shonen and shojo for my girl u know:mad:

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-26-2006, 11:40 PM
EGM and OPM. I like those Ziff-Davis guys.

Shiny
03-26-2006, 11:45 PM
I used to have a subsciption to game informer. It was pretty good at getting info on games that weren't released yet.

theundeadhero
03-26-2006, 11:45 PM
Back when I was in 3rd grade I had asubscription to Nintendo Power. I thought it was the coolest magazine ever, back before the N64 and all that came out.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-26-2006, 11:46 PM
You should have held out (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=81157).

theundeadhero
03-27-2006, 12:25 AM
That wasn't the only promotional video Nintendo came out with. During the time Killer Instinct was first out I had another subscription that came with a promo video.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-27-2006, 12:51 AM
Yeah, they made several. I'm pretty sure Donkey Kong Country was the first.

darkchrono
03-27-2006, 12:57 AM
Just wondering why do you guys subscribe to gaming magazines when there are plenty of websites out there where you can read reviews of games for free.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-27-2006, 01:03 AM
There's a lot more to game magazines than just reviews, and even in that particular asoect, I don't want to read just anyone's reviews. And even if my guys put some of their content online (which they do), flipping through a magazine is a pleasurably organized and tactile experience compared to navigating a website full of obscure links.

Also, each issue of OPM comes with a disc containing exclusive demos and trailers for numerous upcoming games. There's almost always at least one game on the disc that captures my interest, and I'm damn picky.

Vincent Valentine
03-27-2006, 01:05 AM
Just wondering why do you guys subscribe to gaming magazines when there are plenty of websites out there where you can read reviews of games for free.
Because:

1 ~ There's more to gaming than just the games, and many gamers like to know about what is going on inside the industry, something which is rarely covered on websites.

2 ~ Most gaming websites are just plain terrible. They're often embarrasing (IGN.com), run by unknowledgable fanboys (GameSpot.com), or just try too hard (1up.com).

3 ~ If you've ever read EDGE (http://www.edge-online.co.uk) in it's paper form, you'll know why nothing else is even worth looking at.

4 ~ For me personally, nothing feels better than a book in my hand that I can read.

fantasyjunkie
03-27-2006, 01:57 AM
I subscribe to Computer Gaming, PC Gamer, and Computer Gaming World for 2 reasons. First, I save a TON of $$$ by subscribing instead of buying them from the newstand. And I read all 3 because I really enjoying reading about the gaming industry in general. That industry can be pretty cutthroat at times. I read Electronic Gaming Monthly a lot too.

FallenAngel411
03-27-2006, 02:09 AM
I occassionally pick up a magazine--mostly OPM for the demos. I used to have several subscriptions, but eventually I became to poor. ;__; So the internet is a godsend for a girl like me with so many obsessions to support.

Omnislash07
03-27-2006, 04:32 AM
I get Electronic Gaming Monthly, Official Playstation Magazine, and Game Informer.

I think Im just gonna let their subscriptions run out though because I rarely agree with any of their reviews and like others have said most of the stuff they say can be found elsewhere on the internet anyway. It is nice getting the demo disc from OPM though. But it rarely has any really good games so it doesnt make much of a difference.

Yew-Yevon
04-22-2006, 08:45 PM
as an owner of a PS2 and Xbox (with 5yr love to myPS2) i like to vew the counsole war from both fronts. So my mags of choise are OPM and OXM

Crossblades
04-23-2006, 02:22 AM
Nintendo Power

Yamaneko
04-23-2006, 03:21 AM
EGM

Ballistix Man
04-23-2006, 05:23 AM
I get Game Informer. They tend to get new info on games earlier and the rumors they get are usually some whaty corect. I also generally agree with the scores

tenhitcombo
04-23-2006, 06:16 AM
gamepro