PDA

View Full Version : Does it bother anyone else...?

Jsb01
03-10-2006, 06:38 AM
Does it bother anyone else that this game is online? It just seems to me that Final Fantasy is turing into Runescape... Personaly I miss the way they where making the games up until this one... Now I think they should pretty much go back to the same thing they where doing before or just quit.

Miriel
03-10-2006, 06:49 AM
Why would it bother us that this game is online? That's like asking people in the FFVII forum if it bothers them that FFVII is an RPG. The fact that FFXI is an online game is what makes the game so great. It's not like Squeenix is planning on making the rest of the series online games as well. In fact, I'm pretty sure that you won't see a online Final Fantasy game again in years. And FFXI is a pretty amazing game. I find it difficult these days to play a standard RPG game cause I'm so used to being able to chat with my Linkshell or people on my flist as I play.

So no, it doesn't bother me that this game is online. In fact, I am incredibly grateful for the fact that this is an online game because it's allowed me to befriend a great deal of people and have some crazy adventures in Vanadiel along the way.

Jsb01
03-10-2006, 06:54 AM
Okay, good to know.

Lionx
03-10-2006, 10:30 AM
You are comparing Runescape to FFXI...? Thats like comparing Guilty Gear or Street Fighter to Shaq Fu...

Markus. D
03-10-2006, 11:49 AM
ewwwwww.....

I disbelieve this is anything like runescape.... except maybey the p2p and .... welll... thats it.

Story:
Runescape - none, none at all, a plotless grinder, not even a backstory, just a crap load of lore.
FFXI - Opens up into something quite involving and epic, and also a crap load of lore.

Battle:
Runescape - :\, passive skills and a real inconvinient spell casting system, or.... you could just go up to something and attack it.
FFXI - boring at first site... but once you get into a party and start battling tougher foes, its all about efficiency and quick think tactics, so many differant classes and skills aswell.

Roleplay:
Runescape - lots ta do, you can even roleplay a scammer :)
FFXI - everything that Runescape has.... except, no scamming others without punishment, and people seem to listen to actual roleplay.

Community:
Runescape - No one good.... kplzthx mnyplz kthx mny? noob! noob!
FFXI - some more mature people play this (nubs still exist though), I believe its much better.

Graphics:
RS = CRUD
XI = Awe!!!!

Newbie Friendly:
Runescape - Ovcourse... and it stays that way (simple diffuculty etc...).
FFXI - As you begin it will be all overwhelming and youd probably only find you can grind for levels, it changes though.... you will die and level down a few times aswell.

similarities, but really the only differant thing about this FF is that it is online based.

Rostum
03-10-2006, 01:20 PM
Yay! Let's judge a huge succesful gaming company on one of the games in one of their series being online! Let's just forget that a crap load of people actually do play it and love it.

You know, because we have a say in SE's main decisions!

In all honesty, this game has been out for a long time now (3 or 4 years?), and it's still doing pretty damn well -- I also am addicted to it. And I just want to say, NEVER EVER compare a game like Runescape to ANYTHING!

Markus. D
03-10-2006, 02:22 PM
I did find it rather tricky to say anything good about it....

Fatal Impurity
03-10-2006, 03:30 PM
runescape rocks becuase its FREE!!! which is definately a magic word where im concerned!!!

SteelDisciple
03-10-2006, 05:58 PM
runescape rocks becuase its FREE!!! which is definately a magic word where im concerned!!!

That's the same sad mentality people have with food too....people will buy utterly CRAPPY Mcdonalds food instead of going to a wonderful place like Fatburger and paying only a little bit more for actual FOOD...instead of the recycled garbage Mcdonalds gives out.

=( People...cheap doesn't mean GOOD!

strawberryman
03-10-2006, 07:06 PM
Q: SE is trying to screw us out of money and its nothing like FF! It's NOTHING LIKE FF, it only shares the title!

A: Well >.> It's an online game. It will cost money regardless what its called. What is your definition of Final fantasy? A world of characters set in a fantasy based story in which holds magical and technological wonders? eh well seems to be a theme in all the FF I have played and this one holds it as well. The story line is fascinating and the expansion packs are just as wonderful. FFXI is a well designed game even if it has its very common problems, like gil seller, NM horders, as*hat players, random DC'ing but I wouldn't knock it until you tried it, the first month is free and it's very fun ^^

(Courtesy of the FFXI FAQ 1.0)

Fatal Impurity
03-10-2006, 07:33 PM
yes but free is GOOD.....if i were to subscribe to anythin it would be to FF11 but since runescape is free im happy!!!

Mirage
03-10-2006, 07:52 PM
If you want something that's free, atleast go with RO instead of RS :(

Lionx
03-10-2006, 08:53 PM
If you want something that's free, atleast go with RO instead of RS :(

You know i was thinking the same thing ><

Zolmation
03-10-2006, 09:15 PM
RuneScape is R E T A R D E D!

Markus. D
03-10-2006, 10:45 PM
yes but free is GOOD.....if i were to subscribe to anythin it would be to FF11 but since runescape is free im happy!!!

there is always many other free MMORPG that are forever free and doesnt limit your exploration till you pay a few bucks per month like RS.

Silk Road.... Martial Heros, Kal.... etc... etc.... etc...

Yuffie514
03-19-2006, 05:57 AM
those that get emotionally involved may regret it. i enjoy not being around NPCs all the time and i made some friends through it. whether Final Fantasy should stay more liberal or traditional - i can't say for the rest, but i'd like to experience more like this IMO. oh, but evolution is key to a long life...

Zeromus_X
03-19-2006, 06:25 AM
Well, they've always been experimental. (Though now pretty much the original development team is gone..) I guess it payed off though, FFXI seems pretty successful from what I see of it. :cat:

Fayts
03-19-2006, 08:28 PM
the fact that it is a online game is wut makes it so great. the game makes it so that u have 2 depend on ppl who u have never meet but u work together because u have the same goal. and u are able 2 customize your character so much that he can be another form of yourself. true it would be cool if u had ur very own chocobo that u could customize and inprove as well (hope they do that some time) but all in all the game is great

P.S has anyone made a thread about why we dont have are very own chocobos

Lionx
03-19-2006, 08:37 PM
You didnt read the patch notes did you? In the expansion there WILL be chocobo breeding and racing along with a pokemon stadium.

Fayts
03-19-2006, 08:49 PM
You didnt read the patch notes did you? In the expansion there WILL be chocobo breeding and racing along with a pokemon stadium.
well i geuss i didnt but thats cool that they will be doing that

Markus. D
03-19-2006, 11:06 PM
xD?

DMKA
03-20-2006, 09:56 PM
I'm poor. So yes, it bothers me.

Plus I hate games that have no end. =[

darkchrono
03-25-2006, 08:35 PM
I get bored with online games very very quickly. Though it may have an engaging story later on it moves at a snails pace at the beginning (and probably through the rest of the game as well).

So unless you can withstand the boredom of doing all those random battles just to level up your character so he will become powerful enough just to begin something you will probably lose interest in it very quickly.

So in my opinion it does bother me.

Maybe someday they will come up with a way that will make online games stories just as engaging as single player rpg's are. But FFXI is not that game.

Carmilla
03-25-2006, 11:19 PM
It kind of irks me that this game is online. At the least it shouldnt have been labeled as part of the series. It shouldve been a siequest type of game like FF Adventure, Mystic Quest, Crystal Chronicles, Tactics, etc.

The thing is, i can still play Final Fantasy for the NES 15 years after i bought it. We will NOT be able to play FF XI 15 years from now. :cry:

Rostum
03-26-2006, 12:42 AM
It kind of irks me that this game is online. At the least it shouldnt have been labeled as part of the series. It shouldve been a siequest type of game like FF Adventure, Mystic Quest, Crystal Chronicles, Tactics, etc.

The thing is, i can still play Final Fantasy for the NES 15 years after i bought it. We will NOT be able to play FF XI 15 years from now. :cry:

Oh boo hoo. *hands you a tissue* Why do so many people complain about this? Get over it, it happpened and that's that. Who cares what it's labeled as... Does it affect you playing the other Final Fantasy's? No, so get over it. There's heaps of others to play.

Markus. D
03-26-2006, 01:08 AM
I get bored with online games very very quickly. Though it may have an engaging story later on it moves at a snails pace at the beginning (and probably through the rest of the game as well).

So unless you can withstand the boredom of doing all those random battles just to level up your character so he will become powerful enough just to begin something you will probably lose interest in it very quickly.

So in my opinion it does bother me.

Maybe someday they will come up with a way that will make online games stories just as engaging as single player rpg's are. But FFXI is not that game.

it most definetly is "That" game.

in-fact, what I have played of it (currently paused subscriptions due to Guild Wars Lovinism), its been my faveorite storyline to date.

and once you have found that story, you will never get bored, its lenghthy and theres about 3 of them, about to be a fourth.

Carmilla
03-26-2006, 03:16 AM

Oh boo hoo. *hands you a tissue* Why do so many people complain about this? Get over it, it happpened and that's that. Who cares what it's labeled as... Does it affect you playing the other Final Fantasy's? No, so get over it. There's heaps of others to play.

I put that it 'kind of' irks me. Kind of is not a definite.

And yes it does effect me playing the FF series as the game will be completely gone and unplayable in about 5 years. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Ouch!
03-26-2006, 04:13 AM
I think he was more referring to the arguement that it should have been titled something other than Final Fantasy XI. That's a tired, old complaint that's been annoying since before the game came out.

Rostum
03-26-2006, 11:39 AM
But it doesn't affect you playing the rest of the series. So what if they skipped a number? I don't see how that will affect you playing the earlier and later games...

And Ouch! hit it on the nail, it's such an overused arguement. It get's a bit annoying.

Edit: I can strongly say this game isn't going to end in 5 years. Hardly many mainstream MMORPG's end, some are still going strong from a decade ago.

Markus. D
03-26-2006, 12:59 PM
which is a very lengthy amount of time to play it.

darkchrono
03-26-2006, 10:55 PM
Like I said it may have an engaging story later on. But to get there you have to go through a ton of very mindless and boring random encounters to even begin to hint at that story or stories.

Where as single player rpg's have the ability to engross you in the story right off the bat.

From what I have experienced through playing it myself and through reading critic reviews and player reviews alike is that FFXI is very similar to online games of the past. Where you have to go through alot of tedious and often boring encounters so you can actually become powerful enough to delve into the storyline.

One thing that I have always wanted to try to do and tried to do in FFXI is to not really go on any quests but instead just run around and explore the countryside without having to worry about leveling up or fighting monsters. But yet you can't even do that because if you try the monsters will come up to you and attack you and since the more powerful monsters are further away from the towns unless you have gone through hours upon hours of tedious leveling up you will most definitely get killed.

So no FFXI is not that game that can engross you into a world and into a story just as well as an offline rpg can.

Why pay $15 a month to do things that you don't even want to do.

Rostum
03-26-2006, 11:51 PM
In response to Darkchrono.

All I can say is you're wasting your time in responding to this thread. We all know what the game consumes off.

I'm level 75 and have other jobs leveled too -- I know what you're tryign to say, but I actually really enjoyed getting to 75 and I'm enjoying the story a lot. I know heaps of people enjoy this too, and FFXI has a huge player base.

To me it's not a waste of money, I would never pay for a game I don't enjoy.

And to note, not everyone plays MMORPG's for the story -- some have a lot of friends they like to just do stuff with, some like the end game (fighting the gods in sky, dynamis, etc). To places you visit, the journey, and the battle mechanics in parties is great (except Valkurm, of course).

I guess what I'm trying to say is, yes I can play offline games and I do, but I still like the whole idea of this MMORPG, and I get to play with my friends that are overseas. I don't see why you could tell people that this is not worth it as you'd get a better story with an offline, when many people don't *just* play for the story.

Markus. D
03-27-2006, 12:13 AM
Like I said it may have an engaging story later on. But to get there you have to go through a ton of very mindless and boring random encounters to even begin to hint at that story or stories.

Where as single player rpg's have the ability to engross you in the story right off the bat.

From what I have experienced through playing it myself and through reading critic reviews and player reviews alike is that FFXI is very similar to online games of the past. Where you have to go through alot of tedious and often boring encounters so you can actually become powerful enough to delve into the storyline.

One thing that I have always wanted to try to do and tried to do in FFXI is to not really go on any quests but instead just run around and explore the countryside without having to worry about leveling up or fighting monsters. But yet you can't even do that because if you try the monsters will come up to you and attack you and since the more powerful monsters are further away from the towns unless you have gone through hours upon hours of tedious leveling up you will most definitely get killed.

So no FFXI is not that game that can engross you into a world and into a story just as well as an offline rpg can.

Why pay $15 a month to do things that you don't even want to do.

*ahem* I know for a fact that most of them either havent played, or never got that far to be worth judgin it.

I saw on a webpage he even said there wasnt a battle system with this game, you just stand there and watch the person slash with his sword to the monster, no special or powerful skills.

this is what lead me to buying it, to prove him wrong, and I did.