PDA

View Full Version : What age do you need to be...?

Elpizo
03-10-2006, 03:21 PM
Okay, after somebody said that when you are a fourteen year old boy (like me), you're to young to play and understand teh greatness of teh FF classics, I began to wonder.

Which age do I or other people of my age need to be to be able to understand and play the FF series?

I really need to know, ya know, because after playing all FF from I to X, after they said that to me, I suddenly don't understand a bit of those games anymore! Now I need to wait until a certain age before I can play and udnerstand them again!

So, what age do you need to be to play a FF game?

TheSpoonyBard
03-10-2006, 03:26 PM
According to the recommendations on the game cases, you should to be 11+ for FFVI - FFX and 12+ for FFX-2. I don't know what the recommendations are for the other FFs, but I'd assume they're similar.

NeoCracker
03-10-2006, 03:27 PM
IF you can read and have some comprehension skills your good. Age, to a certain degree, is irrelevant. Its mostly comrehensions skills. 14 should be perfectly fine to understand them, at least for the most part, I mean I think I was around ten or so for 4, and I understood it perfectly.

The Devourer Of Worlds
03-10-2006, 03:28 PM
Yeah, he was being ignorant; we get it. You don't need to make an entirely separate thread just to bitch about it.

Elpizo
03-10-2006, 03:34 PM
Yeah, he was being ignorant; we get it. You don't need to make an entirely separate thread just to bitch about it.
Bleh, I usually don't do such things, but it made me actually explode the size of Sephiroth's supernova.

And hey, he didn't want to talk with me anymore, I had to go and play with a doll.

But, there might be otehr persons who would liek to know which age they should be to play FF's.

I really don't want to be annoying, and this might seem kiddyish, but oh common... We all do things like this, even if it is only once.

---
Seemingly I am the perfect age to play FF's, I'll just go now and play Kefka's tower, if you all don't mind.

Dell
03-10-2006, 03:37 PM
I played it when I was 11. you should be quite good in 14 (same age of mine this year). my friend's brother played it when he was 7.

The Devourer Of Worlds
03-10-2006, 03:39 PM
Bleh, I usually don't do such things, but it made me actually explode the size of Sephiroth's supernova.

And hey, he didn't want to talk with me anymore, I had to go and play with a doll.

But, there might be otehr persons who would liek to know which age they should be to play FF's.

I really don't want to be annoying, and this might seem kiddyish, but oh common... We all do things like this, even if it is only once.

---
Seemingly I am the perfect age to play FF's, I'll just go now and play Kefka's tower, if you all don't mind.

Flame him all you want, I just don't see any reason not to do it in the same thread.*

If people honestly want to know how old they should be before playing FF games (if they are a member of this forum, it's a little late) then they can simply read the label on the front of the box.

*Please note: The Devourer of World’s opinions do not necessarily reflect that of the forum administrators. Following his advice can and probably will get you banned.

TheAbominatrix
03-10-2006, 03:41 PM
Sweetie, dont let it get to you. This person is a mere three years older than you. Trust me, if age has anything to do with enjoying these old games, he's just as much out of the ballpark as you are.

I think was was around 8 when I picked up an FF game (cant remember if it was IV or VI). I dont see why an 8 year old now couldnt play those same games and appreciate them just like I did, unless of course one has become too spoiled by pretty graphics. It just depends on the person, really.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-10-2006, 03:49 PM
What's important is your individual intelligence and cerebrospinal magnitude, of which your age is but a meager indicator. There are effing brilliant eleven-year-olds as well as middle-aged pig illiterates.

Crossblades
03-10-2006, 04:38 PM
Anybody can play and understand any FF game. Doesn't matter how old you are. Don't let people like that belittle you

Twilight Edge
03-10-2006, 04:49 PM
I started playing VII,VIII and IX last year(I don't have a PS2,so I didin't play X)when I was 14 and I understood it perfectly.Age is not a factor.You'll be fine as long as you can read.

Vivisteiner
03-10-2006, 09:30 PM
I was a really little kid when I 1st played FFs, cos my bro bought the game to play and I was about 8. But I understood it fine. Its not that much more complicated than a decent story book.

Ramza Beoulve
03-10-2006, 10:10 PM
Well, I started playing videogames when I was 4 years old, and I played my first FF when I was 7 years old (10 years ago) and I totally enjoy it, there is no reason to revenge, just if you enjoy the game and understand it, then you have all what is needed

Dreddz
03-10-2006, 10:32 PM
You dont need too much intelligence, getting through the games isnt that hard but understanding what was going on. I beat FFVII when I was only 9. But didnt understand the story too much. I feel I have gotten more out of each FF by playing now when I have more brain power than before. But I still enjoyed the games back when I was still a single digit....

Lost Number
03-10-2006, 10:46 PM
I started at 8. But now am I am still learning more and more about the symbolism and true greatness of the games.

Gilthanes
03-10-2006, 10:55 PM
I tested this a few weeks ago. I set my 9 yr old nephew up to play FFVI (one of the more simpler games to play imo). His reactions just were too slow and even after me guiding him through a few battles, when it came down to a boss fight all on his own. Just couldnt figure out to heal himself, use items, use magic etc and just died. I was bummed out but I guess he just isnt made for these games :(

Captain Maxx Power
03-10-2006, 11:28 PM
I wouldn't know, I've been perpetually above the age of at least seventeen my whole life.

blackmage_nuke
03-11-2006, 12:21 AM
Any one under the age of 17 shouldnt be alowed to play this game as they just aernt old enough to apreciate it :p There is that what you wanted to hear?

Really though I started playing when I was 11 or 12 and I understood it very well and appreciated VI alot, but had I started playing when i was 16 i wouldve been tainted with marvelous graphics and I'd probably be one of the 'its not a good game cuz its old' stereotypes, it scares me just thinking of acting like one of those people.
So its good to start at a young age before your opinions become tainted.

Lexy
03-11-2006, 06:46 AM
I started playing FF when I was about 9, around the time IV came out, but for the longest time I just borrowed the game from my neighbors and would just mess around on their saves, rather than starting my own game. I kinda didn't get it. 9 seems rather old but maybe I wasn't that smart. I didn't actually really understand it and start my own game til I was maybe 11. One of my neighbors who is the same age as me played it and beat it though when he was around 9, so maybe I was just slow in catching on.

Raven Nox
03-11-2006, 06:58 AM
Well, I first played a FF when I was 4/5 (my mom owned them and helped me out. xD), though, I admit I probably didn't know much of what was going on, just ran around and fought monsters. A few years later, and I understood them. Like it's been said before, it just depends on the person.

Zeromus_X
03-11-2006, 08:03 AM
I first played FFIV and VI when I was ten years old, I pretty much understood the stories. Though recognizing the symbolism wasn't there quite yet. If you're fourteen, you really should be able to understand them. Heck, as long as you have good reading comprehension, it's not too hard to understand. (Then again, if you're playing a crappy translation, thats another story :p)

Shiny
03-11-2006, 06:20 PM
Old enough to read obviously, because you'll be doing alot of it. I guess to really understand the complex storylines and battle systems you would have to be atleast 10.
As for the too old to play video games...that's a whole other story. I don't think anyone over 29 should be playing FF games, haha that's a little sad.

blackline77
03-11-2006, 07:16 PM
uhh i started playing them when i was 7,and i understood them at least i think i did

Zeromus_X
03-11-2006, 07:33 PM
As for the too old to play video games...that's a whole other story. I don't think anyone over 29 should be playing FF games, haha that's a little sad.

So I guess when you turn 30 you'll stop playing video games? :cat: If people enjoy games, it shouldn't matter what age they are, as long as they understand them and don't overly-obsess with them...:choc2:

DeathKnight
03-11-2006, 07:48 PM
I started playing video games when I was 5:cool: :cool: :cool:

The Last Oath
03-16-2006, 09:21 AM
Whoever said that think they know too much. I passed FFVII-IX before i was in yr 5(10 years old) and i perfectly understood the game. I understood almost everything and just recently about 6 months ago i passed FFII-VI. I started FF when i was in yr 3 and i understood most of it. :D

Mirage
03-16-2006, 11:24 AM
Old enough to read obviously, because you'll be doing alot of it. I guess to really understand the complex storylines and battle systems you would have to be atleast 10.
I'm 21. I've been playing video games for 13 years. Are you saying I should stop the instant I turned 29? I think not.

As long as you're a native english speaker, 10 shouldn't be too much of a problem. I know I had to look up a few words when I played Final Fantasy at the age of 12. So does my brother who is that age now. as for comprehending and being able to analyze the story, I think the average 11/12 year old would be able to do that. My 10 year old brother seems to enjoy the games for the sole reason that he can kill /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif and (for the later installments) look at fancy graphics. Then again, he's always been rather violent. The biggest joy he had when he was playing Sim City 2000 was shooting the helicopter, starting disasters and demolishing buildings.