PDA

View Full Version : ff6 > ff7 discuss

lordAshram
03-11-2006, 05:20 AM
Most polls about which ff is the best will put ff7 automatically as the best ever. There is a poll right now and with lack of surprise I see that ff7 reigns supreme. Am i missing something? While ff7 was an extremely awsome game, the one i absolutely fell inlove with and cannot get tired of playing (have already finished it three or four times) is final fantasy 6.

lets begin comparison..
a ton more characters and more importantly, each character has his or her own personal storyline instead of it being all about one character

music - intro, walkthrough, opera, nough said

in storyline I would put them about equal however the fact that each character in final fantasy 6 has his or her own special move again makes them more enjoyable and unique from each one, compared to ff7 where there is no difference between characters in combat.

Overall I liked ff7 but loved ff6. No accion figures, no movie coming soon. Am i alone in this? if so please let me know how ff7 is better than 6 . My personal list from best to worse: ff6, ff7, ff4, ff9, ff8. ff5

Omnislash07
03-11-2006, 06:16 AM
Right well i think the main reason ff7 is the most beloved ff of all is probably because was the first ff to hook people in. i mean there were a lot of people that played the ones on NES and SNES but when ff7 came out on the PS the number of people who played the game was far larger than the amount that had played the others and so ff7 hooked most people on ff in general which makes them love it even more.

Of course i also think that while ff6 is a good game ff7 is better by a lot.

A) Graphics - Now im not some kind of graphics whore that thinks the old ff games suck because you cant tell whether the people are male or female but the huge change from 2d to 3d really made the game come alive and make u feel like it was a real place.

B) Characters - Now true ff6 has more characters but in my opinion i prefer quality over quantity. In all of ff6 the only characters i actually liked were Terra, Celles, Sabin, and Edgar compared to ff7 where i liked all of them cept Cait Sith (may u burn in hell u robotic cat). Plus i really hate Kefka as a main villian and i dont mean like hate because he was evil, i mean hate because i thought he looked like a female clown(ecspecially his final form...omg what were they smoking). While Sephiroth on the other hand looked like a badass.

C) Battle - Ok well this is pretty much a tie because u can pretty much beat each game by just using the attack command and use like no magic or special abilities if you want to. But you said that each person had their own special abilities in ff6 which made it better, i disagree. I think that the freedom that materia gave u by allowing you to use whoever you wanted and still give them whatever skills you wanted was awesome. That allows me to make a party of only the party members i really like without having to sacrifice really good skills.

D) Story - You said that each character in ff6 has their own story and that the characters in ff7 didnt. You are wrong. Each character has their own moment where their backstory is explained and then sometimes expanded on. Red XIII - The GI cave, Barret - the first visit to North Correl, Cid - when they launch the rocket and before u steal the Tiny Bronco, Yuffie - the Padoga, Vincent - when u talk to Lucrecia in the cave, and Cloud, Tifa, and Aeris are all pretty much involved in the main storyline.

Thats about all i can think of at the moment, oh and my favorite ff games are; ff7, ff8, ff6, ffX, ff5

Acid Raine
03-11-2006, 06:43 AM
You DO realize that, while you are praising 7, the topic says that 6 is better. > is the greater than symbol, and < is the less than. Remember the 3rd grade lesson that the alligator always eats the bigger number? Well, the alligator also eats the better thing.

Anyways, on to the topic. I HONESTLY CANT DECIDE! I'm like Florida in the 2000 U.S. Presidential Vote (now....I didnt live in America yet, but I have gotten all the info on it I need...) they are both great in their own way. VI is fun to replay over and over, and so is VII. I enjoy restarting VI better, though, because the beginning doesnt bore me. I restart VII, and I have to get through Midgar, and go to Kalm, and listen to that LONG BORING STORY ABOUT NIBELHIEM, and all that before the real action begins. Either way, I cant decide. I like to think of FF as a monarchy, and VI and VII as the king and queen :P equal of rank, and good to all :)

Omnislash07
03-11-2006, 07:32 AM
You DO realize that, while you are praising 7, the topic says that 6 is better. > is the greater than symbol, and < is the less than. Remember the 3rd grade lesson that the alligator always eats the bigger number? Well, the alligator also eats the better thing.

yeah im not an idiot i know he thinks ff6 is better but i was just explaining why i thought ff7 was better. i was comparing them just like he did. oh and...aligators wtf are u on.

Zeromus_X
03-11-2006, 07:43 AM
The "alligator" is commonly used to teach that in schools. At least, thats how I learned it in third grade:p

Another reason why FFVII is popular is because it was also the first FF to be released worldwide. Many people had never heard of Final Fantasy before FFVII, so naturally it is very popular.

Anyway, it is hard to decide. Then again, the nostalgia factor places FFVI above anything...so I guess FFVI. It did start most of the trends that we think of as cliches in FF games. :choc2: (Don't make me write a list..)

Though games before it(FFVI) helped shape what a typical FF storyline is today, it really defined it, condensed it. I hope this makes sense. Well, it should, to someone...:cat: Not to mention FFVI was pretty groundbreaking when it was released. FFVII too, on a worldwide scale. Both games were incredibly successful, where they were released. (And in FFVII's case, worldwide.)

So yeah, they were both very great games. :cat: I know I probably would only pick FFVI for nostalgia purposes anyway :D It also doesn't help that I love pretty much every FF. So FFVI, even though FFVI doesn't fall too far behind. :cat:

NeoCracker
03-11-2006, 07:47 AM

Anyways, on to the topic. I HONESTLY CANT DECIDE! I'm like Florida in the 2000 U.S. Presidential Vote (now....I didnt live in America yet, but I have gotten all the info on it I need...) they are both great in their own way. VI is fun to replay over and over, and so is VII. I enjoy restarting VI better, though, because the beginning doesnt bore me. I restart VII, and I have to get through Midgar, and go to Kalm, and listen to that LONG BORING STORY ABOUT NIBELHIEM, and all that before the real action begins. Either way, I cant decide. I like to think of FF as a monarchy, and VI and VII as the king and queen :P equal of rank, and good to all :)

Ah, the good old alligators. Allways hated that one. And in a monarchy doesnt' only the king reing over all? thus making them not equal. VI is clearly better

boys from the dwarf
03-11-2006, 08:42 AM
i enjoyed FF8,9 and probly 6 and a few other FFs more than FF7. im not saying this is the only reaspn that people like FF7 but most of the time its usually just NooBs who are told FF7 is the best and blindly believe that without even thinking.FF7 is brilliant and definetly on my top 5 but it does seem slightly overrated.

Morgoth_Bauglir
03-11-2006, 08:52 AM
I had a hard time deciding on that,and my opinion is that FFVI is the best,and,imo,FFVII is the second best.They are both masterpieces of the kind,with unsurpassed music,script,and depth.Why did I choose VI?Well,maybe because of the great difficulty of the game,and more because of the feelings that I got from the characters (just marvelous script)and also because the story changed dramatically and left me astounded.

Dreddz
03-11-2006, 09:56 AM
People who dont see the side of FFVII that others do will probably go on and on acting all clever thinking they know better than others. Why cant people just think that maybe FFVII could be that great a game, just not something they like as much. FFVI was good, hell it was great. I cant say one is better than the other, but I can say that my personal opinion is that FFVII is better. Better characters, story, music, gameplay etc
FFVII wasnt even my first freakin FF.

lordAshram
03-11-2006, 01:35 PM

:)

Actually thats what im asking for...theres a reason I originally posted this in the ff7 forum. I wanted people to explain to me why so many think ff7 is better when in my eyes ff6 is the best there is, the best there was and the best there ever will be. yeah...I watch wrestling..LOL

Shiny
03-11-2006, 06:14 PM
Most polls about which ff is the best will put ff7 automatically as the best ever. There is a poll right now and with lack of surprise I see that ff7 reigns supreme. Am i missing something? While ff7 was an extremely awsome game, the one i absolutely fell inlove with and cannot get tired of playing (have already finished it three or four times) is final fantasy 6.
They don't put FF7 automatically people actual vote and sense FF7 seems to be popular on this site it's getting the most votes. I personally think that comparing FF7 to FF6 isn't cool. But compared to some other FF's, FF7 is definately better hands down.

Acid Raine
03-11-2006, 09:20 PM
Ah, the good old alligators. Allways hated that one. And in a monarchy doesnt' only the king reing over all? thus making them not equal. VI is clearly better

Not in mine! :P

JackNapier
03-11-2006, 11:23 PM
For a detailed reason why FF6 is better than FF7 refer to my sig.

raskerino
03-12-2006, 03:00 AM
The awesomeness of Cait Sith gives FFVII the advantage.

Organizing the way Omnislash did:

a) I prefer the general style FFVI's graphics are done in, but the FMV's and certain well done backgrounds make me prefer FFVII for graphics. I'm not evaluating the strength but how good it actually looks.

b) FFVI does have more characters, but they're not all very interesting, I very much prefer the depth put into FFVII's, but I don't think FFVI is at all weak here, Celes, Terra, Sabin, Edgar, Locke and Shadow were all good characters.

c) The story in FFVII had a villian with some reasoning and character to it (Sephiroth/Jenova). The various paths in it and the way there done make me definitely prefer FFVII's story. Again however, FFVI is very strong, Kefka was the bomb, at the end of the game after all the characters say all the cliches about why the fight gets the unbelievably awesome response "you sound like chapters from a self help booklet." The story developed nicely and moved well from character to character.

d) I like the customization of systems in both games, but FFVII's superbosses meant that there was actually some reason to uberize, as it was never called for in FFVI. I slightly prefer FFVII's materia.

I consider FFVII better in about every way (excluding certain awesome lines) yet I can easily see how FFVI could be prefered, as it's so strong in so many ways. I truly did love the concentration put on each individual character in WoR.

Zeromus_X
03-12-2006, 05:17 AM
Well, Kitten Sith was in FFVI too. He was just renamed "Stray". :) Midgar Zolom was renamed "Terrato". :cat:

So they both have a Kitten Sith...hm...:cat:

Slothy
03-12-2006, 01:27 PM
I would give you reasons why people think FFVII is better, but I don't believe it so I'd be lying. Hell, I'll just go with why I like FFVI more (in the same sort of format that omnislash and raskerino used).

1)Graphics: yes FF7 was impressive graphically at the time. I was as wowed as everyone else, but I find myself more impressed these days with what they managed in FFVI. All of the towns, dungeons and battle scenery looked amazing for a SNES game. Not to mention that they managed to show off more expression and emotion in those sprites than with 3D models that I can't help but love them. No game until FFX really managed to make the characters as visually expressive as that.

2)Characters: Yeah FFVII developed the backgrounds of all the characters pretty well, but looking back now, the only characters I found very interesting were Cloud, Tifa, Cid, and to a lesser extent Barrett. I just didn't latch on to many of the characters, and found that their back stories weren't all that interesting. Yeah it was nice to see that at least everyone had distinct and developed histories, but they didn't do anything for me. On the other hand, I loved the stories for every character in FFVI, and loved every character. I personally found that those characters had more interesting stories to tell than the characters in FFVII. Not only that, but it's about the only game where I can say I honestly love every character.

3)Story: I'm not going to beat around the bush here, I loved the story of FFVI more. You spend half the game trying to defeat the Empire only to fail, see the world destroyed and have to prepare for a showdown with perhaps the most psychotic villian in FF history. Not to mention that the story is packed with more than a few twists, and the great backstories for each character. I also like Kefka more as a villian than Sephiroth. I see him as almost the most tragic (and entertaining) character in the whole game. He volunteered to be infused with magic and went insane as a result. He didn't ask to become a mass murdering psychopath, he was made that way. And I also just have a soft spot for a villian who betrays those around him whenever it suits his quest for power, and revels in the slaughter of innocents. There haven't been many FF villians who actually did very much that was actually evil, but he kind of set the bar in that area. It wasn't a "this guy wants to destroy the world so you should hate him" thing, it was a "this guy did destroy the world so you should hate him" situation.

4)Battle System: Meh, both games were pretty easy, and generally involved every character learning every spell. I'll give it to FFVI in a heart beat though for giving each character unique skills thus adding a little variety. Yeah FFVII had limit breaks, but then FFVI had desperation attacks, and you can't use limit breaks all the time. Either way I prefer battle systems where each character isn't an exact copy of the other, and doesn't have the potential to come to that, but I still enjoyed both games battle systems and they certainly don't make me like the two any less.

Whether you like FFVI or VII more is all opinion. We could sit and debate the pros and cons for days but one persons pro could be anothers con. At the end of the day, I'm more than happy to just say both are great games and we all have our favorites, so does it really matter what anyone else says?

lordAshram
03-12-2006, 03:31 PM
that brought a tear to my eye

ScottNUMBERS
03-18-2006, 11:43 AM
This thread will yeild no answers, only FFVI fanboys and FFVII fanboys disscusing why the game they like best is better than the other.

I personally like FFVII over FFVI but I'm not going to prattle on about why it's the betsest gaem evarz, I believe if I played FFVI first I would favour that instead.