PDA

View Full Version : Looks like somebodies answered Vivi's question...

Little Blue
03-11-2006, 01:03 PM
http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/column.php?id=63575

Apparently proves we don't exist :eek:

Mirage
03-11-2006, 01:53 PM
I disapprove of that theory. If the theory is correct, then the theory does not exist.

The Devourer Of Worlds
03-11-2006, 02:10 PM
Technically that particular part of Vivi's famous quote was an assertion, not a question.

NeoCracker
03-11-2006, 02:14 PM
Assume they are right. Wouldn't that mean they are complete morons for proving everything is an Illusion by using an Illusion? If the physics that prove we don't exist don't exist wouldn't it not be a very reliable source to use?

Captain Maxx Power
03-11-2006, 09:42 PM
If someone came up to me with this theory I'd punch them in the face and say "Does it feel real now, chump?"

McLovin'
03-11-2006, 09:54 PM
Do you expect me to read all that.

mooglebunni608
03-12-2006, 01:29 AM
If we don't exist then this post doesn't exist either.

Jsb01
03-12-2006, 01:49 AM
If someone came up to me with this theory I'd punch them in the face and say "Does it feel real now, chump?"
I really love you!

Ace14
03-12-2006, 04:34 AM
I didn't read it all, I just saw how long it was and said "Hehe... I'm not reading that cause it's a waste of time."

K-chan
03-12-2006, 04:55 AM
My question is, if nothing exists, why does the illusion exist? Why are we seeing and living and illusion if nothing really exists? You all understanding what I'm saying? I'm not sure I do... my brain hurts...

boys from the dwarf
03-12-2006, 09:02 AM
erm... *scratches head*. wheres the doctor when you need him eh?

Mirage
03-12-2006, 09:49 AM
My question is, if nothing exists, why does the illusion exist? Why are we seeing and living and illusion if nothing really exists? You all understanding what I'm saying? I'm not sure I do... my brain hurts...
Yes, exactly. If there is an illusion, someone or something has to create it, and someone or something has to percieve things. If we indeed are percieving an illusion, it wouldn't be too different from the concept of the matrix. Everything that happens there is in a computer program, and thus just data, not actual matter. However, it's still real enough for those who live in it.

Come to think of it, SO3's plotline seems to be based off that theory or idea. It can be argued that the world we live in in SO3 isn't really a computer program, just a sub-dimension inside the "4th dimension", and the 4D beings have just found a way to control that dimension's physics.

Old Manus
03-12-2006, 10:10 AM
THE MATRICKS HAS U

Mirage
03-12-2006, 10:57 AM
o rly D:

Captain Maxx Power
03-12-2006, 12:27 PM
I really love you!

:love:

Xaven
03-14-2006, 01:13 AM
Psh... All you lazy bums not even bother reading in before posting. I like reading long insightful stuff like that.

I think I'm gonna use the Godel's Theorem and the Uncertainty Principle against my Geometry teacher and see what she does. :p

A lot of people who read this article are going to say: “Jeez! What a load of utter nonsense!” And guess what? They’re right!

Quindiana Jones
03-15-2006, 06:31 PM
Well, it's kind of right. Unfortunately it's written badly and is really just an opinion or two. Planck did get all the quarks etc figured, but just because we are made of things that hop in and out of existence (which they do) doesn't mean we don't exist. There are an uncountable amount of these "shadowy" bits, so if a few billion hopped out, they'd still be an uncountable amount still in. So "In fact, you may be in a state of nothingness more often than you are in a state of somethingness" is really a load of...rubbish. Everyone knows about the gaps between gaps stuff ("Atoms are 99.999999 empty space") which is true. There's another theory that we could be living in a medium-world. Meaning our universe could be a universe inside the gaps in atoms etc of a giant-world. And there could be a little-world which has a universe in our gaps. This is just a theory.

Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle just says how we can never be sure of anything at a sub-atomic level. Basically, when things get REALLY small, we can never prove that it exists. I think. Anyone who's actual interested can look it up. A large scale proving of this is:

If I put a cat in a box, this box cannot be opened and has no windows or holes in it. There is no way you can hear, see, smell, taste, touch or anything sense what is going on inside. With this cat is an unknown time trigger, that triggers a poisonous gas to be let off in the box. Now, the question is, how can I know when the cat's dead, or if it's dead at all?

Fact is, you can't. That's all this guy's saying. So, in the most basic terms, Vivi is right. How can we prove that we exist? We can't. But that doesn't mean that we don't.

The whole article isn't actually backing up his theory very well, the guy who wrote it doesn't explain why all the theorems etc agree with his "we're all illusions" idea. Just ignore it and be happy with the fact that, even if you don't exist, it sure feels nice to feel like you do.

Ace14
03-17-2006, 12:04 AM
I think someone made that theory to make people's heads hurt and it worked.

Quindiana Jones
03-17-2006, 08:14 PM
Yup. But at least it's starts a conversation about something other than how "bad" FF9 is :D

IpwnUthisMuch|------|
03-21-2006, 05:24 PM
that was a good read... but near the end it sounds like he was just throwing in a bunch of "Facts" to get you to convert to zennism... pfft having one religion forced upon me is enuff gg ty