PDA

View Full Version : Which version should I play?

Elpizo
03-11-2006, 07:41 PM
yeah yeah, I know, I'm quite the topic starter.
Sorry about that, but asuming you are (mostly) FF experts, I rather ask your opinion.

I finally beat FF VI (I just loved it, Kefka was to easy but that's off-topic.)

Now, I've been longing to play FF V or III as well.
I decided to take on V first.

But here's where you all come in: which version of V should I play?
The PSX version, or the translated SNES rom?
I heard that the PSX version has loading times... But, it also has some nice 3d scenes, I suppose...

If you were me, what would you choose?

Momiji
03-11-2006, 07:52 PM
The load times are terrible. Play the ROM. ^_^

Shin Gouken
03-11-2006, 08:50 PM
What load times o_0 that 3 seconds you have to wait when you load a saved game??? jesus buy the psx version, it's got some awesome scenes in it and a few updated graphics here and there

Elpizo
03-11-2006, 09:24 PM
What load times o_0 that 3 seconds you have to wait when you load a saved game??? jesus buy the psx version, it's got some awesome scenes in it and a few updated graphics here and there
Okay, ehm, I'm still not entirely sure, but I'll think I'll go for the PSX version.

Zeromus_X
03-11-2006, 09:33 PM
Besides having the dialogue and music toned down (i.e., it sucks compared to its SNES counterpart.) The minor, yet still inconvenient, load times are another fault. Just get the rom. (Faris doesn't sound like a retarded pirate for half the story either, so thats a plus.)

Then again, if you must have those fancy FMVs, then go ahead. Maybe if you're getting FFVI as well (since it comes with it, well usually.), you may want to get the Anthology version. But overall, any rom is better.:cat:

Also, if you use a ps2 with it, the menu can get glitchy. It doesn't happen all the time though, but it's been known to happen.

Depending on what system you have, how good it is, and how patient you are, the load times are very annoying. Especially when you go into a ****ing battle and it takes 10 seconds. Or trying to go into a menu. Or switching areas. In the SNES, these were instantaneous, thats why its so annoying to people that played that version first.

If you have a newer ps2, it loads fine though.

Regarding the FMVS, there are only 2 in the game. Not too special. Nice things, but you can do without if the overall quality of the game is better. I'd say it's a good sacrifice. All the FFV Artwork is on the FFVI disc anyway. (Which you have to complete to unlock.)

So..

Good script
Better music
Doesn't take 30 seconds to get into a battle or otherwise switch screens

VS.

FMVs.

So yeah, get the rom :cat:

T R A N C E
03-11-2006, 10:54 PM
I have both the rom and the PSX version, i must say get the rom, it seems to flow better with no load times.

Shin Gouken
03-11-2006, 11:31 PM
My psx version doesn't have any loading times like what you described. It runs perfect. And isn't it FFIV that comes with it in the anthology version?

I would contemplate getting the rom version just to see what all the fuss is about. But i'll just get FFV advance instead :)

Zeromus_X
03-11-2006, 11:51 PM
Well, I heard Europe got FFIV, V, and VI in their Anthology. NA got V and VI with Anthology. (IV and CT were in Chronicles.)Like I said, if you played the SNES version, you'll definitely notice the load times. :cat:

Rengori
03-12-2006, 01:54 AM
PSX. Who cares about load times, those people are just too damn impateint. And FFVI was released seperately in Europe.

rubah
03-12-2006, 03:18 AM
I was under the impression that the psx version was a straight port without any improved graphics, but two fmvs.

Play the rom. You can save easier and won't get so frustruated at dying 8)

Khaotic
03-12-2006, 04:28 AM
No offense, but I think anyone who has been, is, or will, complain about the load times of PSX FF5 is just simply impatient, so what if Its 10 seconds(which is extremely exagerative) just be patient if you're such a diehard fan of FF. I would play PSX version over any other version, why? Because why pull out a nintendo, or download all the software and roms and stuff, when you can sit for 2 second loading times and have a much better controller as well.

Zeromus_X
03-12-2006, 05:05 AM
I was under the impression that the psx version was a straight port without any improved graphics, but two fmvs.

That's pretty much correct. :cat: (And it has some "instruments" omitted, toning down the music quite a bit. Especially on FFV.)

Elpizo
03-12-2006, 06:27 AM
I'm still not out of it.

In the SNES rom, the script is bad here and there, and in the PSX version, the music and loading times are annoying like hell...

I wish to finish this game in the original (SNES or PSX), so I can see in the GBA version what's new and stuff...

I think I'll go for the SNES after all. And if I ever come to it, the PSX. I'll see.
*Dreams away thinking of the much-heard-about battle on a big bridge..."

Dreddz
03-12-2006, 09:46 AM
Well, the ROM and PSX games arent that different, the PSX has a minor loading time which is definately over exaggerated by people.
I say the PSX version, the PS Controller is better than the SNES, Nice FMV's, You get FFV on a TV instead of a Computer Screen.
The ROM's easier seeing as you can save states but that sucks the fun out IMO. An upside is that its free though.

Elpizo
03-12-2006, 11:06 AM
Well, to bad for those who voted PSX, but I already started playing the SNES rom.

The game is quite fun, if I might say, with all those jobs... Had a difficult time with Galura, a bit, but oh, he's dead now. So now I just should go and beat up Liquid Flame...

Levian
04-06-2006, 03:45 PM
Seriously, play the rom. There's no difference between the PSX version and the rom version. Except for the two FMVs that you can download from the internet. The loading times are incredibly annoying, and it's always nice to have the ability to save whenever you want. Buy a joystick too, then you won't have to use the keyboard. :cool: I'm currently playing the Swedish version.

"Skit, da måste jag döda er alla!!"

Obsidian
04-07-2006, 01:18 AM
I thought Faris's dialogue was sort of irritating in the PSX translation. All of it is written in the "Yarr, matey!" style of a steriotypical pirate. It makes sense, since she IS a pirate, but it still bugged me. Felt like I had Mr. Krabbs in my party.

Zeromus_X
04-07-2006, 01:40 AM
Why would anyone say that there's no differences? I pretty much listed them all in an above post...:cat:

Glad you're playing the ROM though, it's much better. :cat: :)

Elpizo
04-07-2006, 10:04 AM
Why would anyone say that there's no differences? I pretty much listed them all in an above post...:cat:

Glad you're playing the ROM though, it's much better. :cat: :)
Oh, I've been playing for a while by now!

Currently, I'm collecting those thingies you need to release the seal on teh twelve legendary weapons.
I already have one. Three to go.

a nirvana fan
04-07-2006, 12:14 PM
Always play the original FFV, thats what I did to get the original feeling of it and then I went onto the PSX version to see what differences were made.

ScottNUMBERS
05-01-2006, 03:14 PM
What load times o_0 that 3 seconds you have to wait when you load a saved game???
I think that three seconds is more emotionaly scarring than you may think (Personally I think its more like a four second wait but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt this time).

Say you play the game 5 times a day thats 3 x 5 which is fifteen seconds, and let's say you die 5 times each time you play (keep in mind you have to load the game up everytime you die). which is 15 x 5 That's one minute and fifteen seconds of your day gone!

I know what you're thinking, "wtf i wont die 5 times in one day u noob" but the Anthology version has a new feature; I like to call it "The part where the screen spins around like on Final Fantasy VII for a ridculeously long time to indicate that you are about to enter battle". What does this have to do with losing battles you might ask? - Well, I don't know about you but everytime I enter battle on FFV and see that "spinny style screen wiper" I do something to pass the time instead of watching it spin, ultimatly resulting in a very dizzy person trying to win at FFV battles (not a good idea), I like to enter my FFV battles in top mental shape. After doing what you've done to pass the time you stroll back into your room only to find all your characters on 0 HP and then it hit's you; "fuck I was playing FFV and forgot all about it because I got lost in what I was doing while waiting for the battle to start". There you have it, this should account for game over aplently.

Anyway back to my real point one minute and fifteen seconds a day, that just one day, if you play it quite fequently or a hardcore gamer and like to play it everyday think about this before playing anthology 60 days = 1 hour 15 minutes of your time, WASTED (You heard me, you can't get it back, ever).

So yeah, ROM version is better.

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
05-01-2006, 04:39 PM
If you all like the Super Famicom version better, why don't you get the real game off ebay? That's what I did! Now, I have both versions. You're right; the music does sound better on SFC. I have both versions hooked up to a stereo system so I can switch back and forth for the translation if I need it, or run up to my room and find the rom to download and get a better translation. That's how I played Tenchi Souzou, although that was at my dorm when my computer was conveniently in the same room. I had Terranigma rom on my computer with the translation. It wasn't as fun, though, b/c using the keyboard is annoying.

So, yeah, if I were you, I'd get both versions, but also the real SFC version if you have a Super NES. All you have to do is remove two tabs in the in part where you put your cartridge in first. That way, you can play it for real using a controller and a TV, even though the controller isn't as good as the PSX controller I think. But, no load times! Although, the swirly thing I thought was cool.

Elpizo
05-01-2006, 06:33 PM
If you all like the Super Famicom version better, why don't you get the real game off ebay? That's what I did! Now, I have both versions. You're right; the music does sound better on SFC. I have both versions hooked up to a stereo system so I can switch back and forth for the translation if I need it, or run up to my room and find the rom to download and get a better translation. That's how I played Tenchi Souzou, although that was at my dorm when my computer was conveniently in the same room. I had Terranigma rom on my computer with the translation. It wasn't as fun, though, b/c using the keyboard is annoying.

So, yeah, if I were you, I'd get both versions, but also the real SFC version if you have a Super NES. All you have to do is remove two tabs in the in part where you put your cartridge in first. That way, you can play it for real using a controller and a TV, even though the controller isn't as good as the PSX controller I think. But, no load times! Although, the swirly thing I thought was cool.
Guys, I've long since beaten FF V by now. :eep:
And I played the translated ROM.

eestlinc
05-02-2006, 04:16 AM
lol yea the ROM has a better script without stupid stuff like Faris' pirate accent. A lot of the items and skills have different names too. The ROM also gives you a more authentic Super Famicom experience, I think.

Congratulations on beating it. It's a great game.

Elpizo
05-02-2006, 06:52 AM
lol yea the ROM has a better script without stupid stuff like Faris' pirate accent. A lot of the items and skills have different names too. The ROM also gives you a more authentic Super Famicom experience, I think.

Congratulations on beating it. It's a great game.
It's one of the best! See my "My thoughts on this one" topic.
I explain my opinion about V there.

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
05-02-2006, 08:44 AM
Is there a way to copy the rom onto a blank cartridge that goes into your Super NES? That would be perfect! Then we could play it on a TV and use a controller. Too bad PS2 controllers don't fit in a SNES, though, b/c I think PS2 controllers are better.