PDA

View Full Version : Absolute Virtue - Beaten

Miriel
03-13-2006, 07:49 AM
After almost 30 hours of battling, the Limitbreak LS on Odin managed to bring Absolute Virtue down to 51%

http://www.stingnetonline.com/cm/LJPictures/AV50%25.jpg

Suffice to say, I am awed and amazed. :eek:

Edit: After they got AV down to 51% AV did benediction and regained 46k and went back to 99% health. xD

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y13/FFXIcamdon/dragoonscantequipaccuracygear.jpg

But yeah, major props to the LB linkshell for doing something no other group of players has been able to do so far. This is one for the FFXI history books.

zell1990
03-13-2006, 08:00 AM
>.< Benediction!
I wish i had that much HP..

Rostum
03-13-2006, 10:10 AM
Holy crap, I'm amazed they got it down to 51%.

Yeargdribble
03-13-2006, 10:39 AM
Well after the first 2 hours of them fighting it it had apparently run out of wynavs and stopped 2hring as well for quite some time. Let me give a rough run down as I watched this very closesly ^^

-Popped... fought normally til it stopped 2hring and stopped summoning Wyvnavs (First time this has EVER happened)

-Someone accidentally CFH'd it and they had to wait for it to reset kinda and it got it's powers back

-Didn't do so well fighting... couldn't get it below 98%. They would nuke volley with 8 BLMs to take it to 98% but it would immediately own the BLMs and regenerate to 100 in around 30 seconds. They tried to make it run out of wynavs, 2hrs, etc again.

-They had a group of people hold it over night so that the rested LS could take it the next morning. This involed bringing low level jobs and sacrificing them while taking advantage of Hymnus to reraise them.

-Once they resumed they had the same problems... couldn't get it much past 97% now (with 95 or 96% being their record at this point)

-At the 22ish hour mark they said they would give up if their last plan didn't work.

====A little explanation=====
Al'taieu is split into 2 seconds. The Northern part of the map is accessible only by the back sides of the crags. From the northern side there is a one way auroral updraft that will take you to the southern half. It is all one map with only a small piece of wall between the two halfs
=======================

-They decided to pull it to the top most portion of southern Al'taieu and have the mages nuke it from the northern side out of range of its wrath so they wouldn't just immediately die.

-It worked and they somewhat quickly whittled it down to 51% and then out of nowhere after about 20 hours of not 2hring and casting Meteor over and over... no wynavs... It summons 6 wynavs... meteors and comets the BLM group and starts 2hring including Benediction and EES spam (which missed often quite hilariously)

-Over the next several hours they got it down impressively low several times.... 84, 74... 60... always benediction. They eventually gave up.

======================

One thing to note is that when it was at 51% it benedictioned for 46613 HP. That would put it's total max HP at around 100k. But later it benedictioned at 95ish% for 11k. Umm... if you do the math that would make it have WAY more than 100k. Something obviouslyi happened after the first time they got it down so low.

This was an incredibly impressive and epic feat. Currently they seem to have a solid strategy but the big problem is getting around it's Benediction. The Dev team somewhat admitted at the Fan Festival that AV might not be beatable. Apparently the Dev Team themselves haven't yet done it -.-

Markus. D
03-13-2006, 12:35 PM
Amazing....

.... thats.... thats.... that should be documented.

I am.... stoked.

escobert
03-13-2006, 01:53 PM
Any pics of the monster? As I haven't been playing for a while this is the first time I've heard of this guy but, this seems extremely hard and that they did very well to do that much damage on him. Cool.

Beyond
03-13-2006, 02:41 PM
Model Viewer says hi.

Actually, this attachment is just an Aern, but it's the model AV is based off. Anyone else reminded of Jenova by it?

Roogle
03-14-2006, 10:28 AM
I wonder what the reward for defeating it is.

Yeargdribble
03-14-2006, 05:19 PM
There are a couple of things people assume it drops based on .dat files.

Minerva's Ring
Mars' Ring
Belladona's Ring
Ninurta's Sash
Raphael's Rod
Some GK

Pretty sure there are others as well.

Miriel
03-14-2006, 08:08 PM
Dark crystal. :D

Lionx
03-15-2006, 02:50 AM
Well some people got 2 wind crystals only after beating Kirin so it MIGHT happen..>_>

Markus. D
03-15-2006, 03:05 AM
I was gonna think it might be some kind of... Proof of Omega-esc Item.

that would suck.

this boss seems to be the hardest to take down in all the FF games.

Necronopticous
03-15-2006, 03:42 AM
The developers have not even beat Absolute Virtue yet, someone asked at the fan festival and after laughing amongst themselves they answered with "Um.. let us try again and get back to you."

Lionx
03-15-2006, 04:47 AM
I also heard they jokingly answered alot of questions though so it might or might not have been done.

Markus. D
03-15-2006, 05:28 AM
what are the monsters skills?

Miriel
03-15-2006, 06:24 AM
I also heard they jokingly answered alot of questions though so it might or might not have been done.
Some people over at the BG forums are saying that certain Game Masters have confirmed that the Dev team hasn't defeated Absolute Virtue. Who knows if that's true or not. *shrugs*

Roogle
03-15-2006, 11:42 AM
Did they not say that we should be able to defeat Absolute Virtue with the current equipment and spells given to us in an interview awhile back?

Miriel
03-15-2006, 12:01 PM
Try giving it gil (http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/bencutmore/gmcheek.jpg). :D

Yeargdribble
03-15-2006, 04:14 PM
Did they not say that we should be able to defeat Absolute Virtue with the current equipment and spells given to us in an interview awhile back?

I think that interview refers to the Jailer of Love which one LS did beat with about 60 BLMs. It was only defeated once though and then finally SE had to nerf it so that other people had some chance in hell of defeating it. JoL can eaily be taken down now with around 25 people. AV still seems completely impossible and I believe the Dev Team may have really not actually ever defeated him.

As for AVs skill that Tsukasa is asking about.

-He has all of the 2hrs in the game and can use them at will. He does not seem to have to wait 2 hours between each. You can find SSs of him using Eagle Eye Shot 2 and 3 times in a row.

-He has spells like Meteor, Comet, Tornado II, Aeroga VI etc which he seems to be able to cast instantaneously.

-He can summon 3-6 Wynavs (wyverns) at a time and when one is defeated he just summons more. His Wynavs can do much of the above including Mijin Gakure which, like in dynamis, doesn't actually blow them up... just blows up everyone around them.

-His melee hits are absurdly strong and currently no PLD could straight tank him. With the best of the best gear PLDs are taking around 800 damage a hit. A legion of WHMs couldn't keep up with that kinda damage.

Miriel
03-19-2006, 09:14 AM
Absolute Virtue was defeated on Remora tonight. :o

Yeargdribble
03-19-2006, 10:47 AM
Interesting how this happened actually. Around 24 hours before Apathy of Remora defeated AV (in under an hour no less) a LS on Garuda was threatened by a GM to be jailed for using the exact some "Wall of Justice" tactic. Interesting how the rules don't apply the same to everyone.

EDIT: BTW... AV dropped NOTHING not even a crystal when he was defeated. Honestly I don't think he was meant to be defeated yet. SE has shown in the past that Al'taieu is a 'broken' zone not completely finished. They have been slowly repairing parts of sea. They are are slowly making some of the jailers, Ix, Aerns etc drop pop items at a slightly better rate as it's been around 10% for a long time. However, they've only fixed about half of them. I think they are trying to make sea stretch out for as long as they can til the expansion.

Rostum
03-19-2006, 10:51 AM
Awesome. x.x; Any more information regarding strategies and drops?

Ouch!
03-19-2006, 07:17 PM
No drops? Poor guys. I suppose the satisfaction of beating AV is worth something, though.

escobert
03-19-2006, 07:20 PM
But still, it'd suck killing it hem nothing.

Ouch!
03-19-2006, 07:30 PM
For you non-believers out there:

AV at 1% - http://www.hiddenpowerls.net/AV1.jpg
AV dead - http://www.hiddenpowerls.net/AV0.jpg

Too awesome for words.

Lionx
03-21-2006, 02:30 AM
http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/remora/54069-apathy.kills.absolute.virtue.html

Ouch!
03-21-2006, 10:37 PM
So it wasn't a glitch then? Just locking his abilities with the right equipment? That's good to hear. Well, I suppose this wall thing is a bit of a glitch, but that's not what won it for them anyway.

Necronopticous
03-22-2006, 12:14 AM
Aw, I was kind of hoping he'd remain unbeat.

Luc
03-22-2006, 06:09 AM
Aw, I was kind of hoping he'd remain unbeat.

Yeah, same here.

Also, even though they didn't get any drops, at least they got a pretty cool title.

Markus. D
03-22-2006, 06:25 AM
but they dont have any proof.... in-game I mean, but, out of game you see, pics can be edited to look like that.

sorta get what I am saying?, someone could see it like that.

Rostum
03-22-2006, 08:05 AM
I doubt they'd try to fake it.

Miriel
03-22-2006, 08:10 AM
but they dont have any proof.... in-game I mean, but, out of game you see, pics can be edited to look like that.

Uh, I'm pretty sure that plenty of end-game level players on Remora were witnesses to this event. >_>

Markus. D
03-22-2006, 08:55 AM
true, but there will still be those future players who wont believe it without proof.... even though they have it and such and now I have confused myself -_-....

also, think about the other servers, most players dont even know its been defeated.

I reckon a Proof item would of been useful for that situation...

Miriel
03-22-2006, 09:24 AM
From all the various forums I visit (LJ, Alla, KI, and BG) you are the first one to have doubts that this actually happened.

Lionx
03-22-2006, 09:28 AM
The only players that do not know its defeated are newbs to the game, or havent heard of this mega boss, almost everyone knows if they try to keep up with the game.

Yeargdribble
03-22-2006, 06:02 PM
This is simply something that couldn't be faked. There are half a dozen pics of him going down and while they could be doctored there are many many many many witnesses to no only them fighting him and getting him lower than anyone else but to his death.

Basically it comes down to this. You can't have 120 people try to falsify this info without at least one person going, 'NUH UHHHHHH they are LYING!!!!'

It's not the same as telling your friend you beat Omega, Shinryuu, Ultima, Ozma etc. where you would be the only person perpetuating such a lie.

Markus. D
03-23-2006, 07:13 AM
true, this is still amazing *_*

zell1990
03-23-2006, 11:13 AM
I thought I saw a screenshot somewhere of a title that one of them had after beating it..
something about virtue. i'll have a look for it again

Double post edited: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/Rascio/AVTITLE.jpg

Markus. D
03-29-2006, 11:40 AM
amazing :D

zellv2
04-02-2006, 09:58 PM
i heard about that in my LS 2 weeks back tremendous effort

Ouch!
04-02-2006, 10:16 PM
You probably heard about it two weeks back because the information is about two weeks old. Just a thought. =P

lordblazer
04-04-2006, 01:46 AM

I agree with you but you can't ask for more unless and actual GM was there to witness or if they recorded it and then both can be easily altered. So the only way to find out is to beat AV yourself :D

Misfit
04-04-2006, 11:57 PM
Wowow!

C'mon Miriel, we need to be the first people to double-team AV and beat it. ^_____^

Miriel
04-05-2006, 12:34 AM
Wowow!

C'mon Miriel, we need to be the first people to double-team AV and beat it. ^_____^
Hell yeah. :D

Misfit
04-06-2006, 08:45 PM
Wowow!

Hell yeah. :D
Glad you're up for it!

You can tank and I'll heal. 'Kay? :3

Miriel
04-06-2006, 08:54 PM
WHM MELEE FTW!

Vincentsinnerdemon
05-01-2006, 01:59 AM
They shouldnt be celebrated!:hot: !!! They used a cheating tactic to do it! As I read some where in a forum elswhere "congradulations for beating the blind, deaf, and immobile old lady to death:p " So these ppl should not be celebrated at all.

Though I do cangradulate the LS that got it down to 51%. That is a massive accomplishment.:D

Miriel
05-01-2006, 02:08 AM
They shouldnt be celebrated!:hot: !!! They used a cheating tactic to do it! As I read some where in a forum elswhere "congradulations for beating the blind, deaf, and immobile old lady to death:p " So these ppl should not be celebrated at all.

Though I do cangradulate the LS that got it down to 51%. That is a massive accomplishment.:D
The LS who brought it down to 51% used the exact same tactic that was used to defeat AV all the way. And no, it was not a "cheating" tactic that they used. At most they exploited a glitch but maybe using the terrain to their advantage was how Squeenix intended for AV to be defeated, but in either case they didn't cheat in order to bring down AV.

Yeargdribble
05-01-2006, 04:53 AM
Actually rather or not it's cheating depends on the GM you are talking to.

A LS was jailed for using the wall less than 24 hours before this LS took it down and had a GM cheering them on. Several times since people have both beaten it with this tactic and been jailed for trying to use this tactic.

Most recently a LS was jailed and was told 3 different things by 3 GMs.

One SGM said it was "skating just inside the rules as long as you take some damage"

Another GM said they were straight up cheating and if they did it again could get suspensions.

A 3rd GM told them it was totally okay and even appeared in Al'Taieu trying to help them with tactics and telling them where to stand.

This is just like the holding rule. It's okay for a LS (especially a JP LS) to hold an HNM or PH mob for however long they want and one GM will say it's okay as they are entitled to do whatever they want with claimed mobs... while at the same time another GM will say that even if you are damaging it if you don't kill it fast enough it counts as holding. A LS on our server got jailed after taking 3 hours killing Tiamat.... they got him down to 10% and another shell called a GM saying they'd been fighting it for too long and they were jailed and some received suspensions.

Zeromus_X
05-01-2006, 05:07 AM
Since I don't have much knowledge on FFXI, I just have a question.

So, is this thing pretty much the toughest optional FF superboss? And, is it possible to beat without using this certain equipment setup?

Just curious. :cat:

Lionx
05-01-2006, 05:36 AM
No it is not possible since if you EVER manage to drop it to 51%(which is a feat in itself) it will use Benediction ability and regain all the life he has lost EVERY SINGLE TIME.

theundeadhero
05-01-2006, 05:39 AM
Explain "jailed".

Zeromus_X
05-01-2006, 05:39 AM
Is it known how this equipment setup affects the boss? (Like, how it makes it not spam-heal?) Or is it just and unknown bug at this time?:cat:

Lionx
05-01-2006, 06:53 AM
It is the way develpers wanted it to be, however players did not know that until they tried it out themselves. Developers dont tell you anything and you have to figure it out yourself.

Jailed-Jailer NMs you must kill for item pop AV i think.

Miriel
05-01-2006, 08:25 AM
Explain "jailed".
You get chucked into the jailhouse of Vana'diel otherwise known as Mordion Gaol for violating ToS or pissing off a GM by calling him a "douchebag".

Yeargdribble
05-01-2006, 12:05 PM
People have actually managed somehow to get AV to stop using Benediction. It was thought that having a WHM melee it with a particular jailer weapon was the secret because it seemed to work several times but not long ago a group was using that tactic with a WHM and jailer weapon and AV still used Benediction over and over.

Basically you cannot beat AV without using the wall because it's basically impossible for any group to survive his AoE attacks for long enough to put a dent in him. Beyond stopping him from using Bene the secret of the wall lies in a ton of BLMs nuking him without being touched.

Still it's horribly unfair that someone groups can manage to beat him using the wall while others are jailed and/or suspended for doing the same thing. When fighting AV it's more of a gamble as to 'are we gonna get caught' than it is actually beating him with the only knowing tactic. Very similar to King HNMs where it has nothing to do with your skill of beating the monster but in who has the fastest 3rd party programs to illegally claim the monster.

theundeadhero
05-01-2006, 12:10 PM
I was hoping they teleported your character into a jailcell and you had to stay in there for some time. :( Like a real jail your character was locked up in.

escobert
05-01-2006, 02:59 PM
haha and you ahev to beg for food and maybe even get raped bt big Elvaans :D

Ouch!
05-01-2006, 10:34 PM
Has AV actually dropped anything yet?

Miriel
05-02-2006, 02:21 AM
Has AV actually dropped anything yet?
Yes. (http://www.killingifrit.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=114490)

Yeargdribble
05-02-2006, 05:08 AM
I was hoping they teleported your character into a jailcell and you had to stay in there for some time. :( Like a real jail your character was locked up in.

They do... that's exactly what I meant by jailed. GM shows up and teleports them all to jail.

Markus. D
05-02-2006, 05:17 AM
sort of like Quarintine...

I reckon there just Jealous.

Ouch!
05-02-2006, 10:03 PM
Well hot diggidy damn. Those are some nice drops.