PDA

View Full Version : Shadow of the Colossus

Jsb01
03-14-2006, 03:44 PM
I love this game, it's so difficult. I'm on the third Colossus... I just wish the maps wheren't so large.

Sergeant Hartman
03-14-2006, 04:01 PM
I thought it was all one map.

Jsb01
03-14-2006, 04:11 PM
It is, what I mean is the landscapes in between the Colossi.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-14-2006, 04:17 PM
You'll appreciate the map for what it is once you realize that the game is about enjoying the landscape at least as much as it is about killing the Colossi. Don't hunt down the next Colossus so intently that you neglect to hitch a ride on a passing hawk, observe a waterfall, or harass a turtle.

Jsb01
03-14-2006, 04:18 PM
I know, but after a while... it just starts to get tedious.

Old Manus
03-14-2006, 04:18 PM
I recently discovered that you can eat lizard tails

This game never ceases to surprise you

Jsb01
03-14-2006, 04:19 PM
My brother told me that, but how?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-14-2006, 04:22 PM
Kill a lizard using the sword, arrows, or whatever. Then go over to its corpse and press R1 or Circle. Eating the white-tailed lizards will increase your maximum stamina.

Jsb01
03-14-2006, 04:23 PM
perminitly?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-14-2006, 04:25 PM
Yes, perminitly.

Jsb01
03-14-2006, 04:27 PM
anything else I should know?

Craig
03-14-2006, 04:30 PM
Yeah, something about fruit.

Jsb01
03-14-2006, 04:31 PM
Yeah, something about fruit.
What about it?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-14-2006, 04:31 PM
There are tons of things. There's actually a lot to this game. More than you'd expect, anyway. Try hitting up GameFAQs (http://www.gamefaqs.com).

Craig
03-14-2006, 04:44 PM
Why is this in The Lounge?

Dreddz
03-14-2006, 04:48 PM
I liked the references to Ico but I wish they made Ico 2 instead of SOC.That said, SOC was amazing. How can you find it difficult though, I found the game to be pretty easy and forgiving. Each Collosi was a little puzzle in its own, and its the puzzles that are the only difficult aspect of the game.
Still, please make an Ico 2, Please :cry:

Yew-Yevon
03-14-2006, 04:54 PM
I acualy made it to the top of the Temple...in the secret garden!

DK
03-14-2006, 04:59 PM
The lack of story anywhere up to the ending stopped this game from being a great game for me into being just a good one. Maybe i'd have got more from it if i'd played ICO before, I don't know. I do know there were still many questions I had unanswered that could have been broken up and added inbetween every colossi just to add a little more to the game. By the time I got to the 8th Colossi or so the wonder of fighting huge things had worn off and I was looking for a little substance, but it wasn't there. And yes the large map can be a little annoying, but like Kishi said the games world is amazing, and it's really something to behold.

Yew-Yevon
03-14-2006, 05:06 PM
Getting to the top of the Temple and runing across the brige is worth shooting for.(I'v done it and it takes sooo long to get to the other side) You cant go through the arch though...a wind keeps pushing you out:(

Jsb01
03-14-2006, 05:44 PM
I can't find it in the FAQ... how do I save without defeating a Colossus first.

Nevermind I just figured it out...

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-14-2006, 07:07 PM
I acualy made it to the top of the Temple...in the secret garden!If you stand outside the temple and look at it, you can see that the secret garden is only about a third of the way up. There's no way to actually get to the top.

Sephex
03-15-2006, 06:39 AM
Excellent game. Don't get me started, or I will use all the internets bandwith by typing too much text.

edczxcvbnm
03-15-2006, 06:50 AM
The lack of story anywhere up to the ending stopped this game from being a great game for me into being just a good one.

The story is there through out the game. It is not one that is told though. It is one you experience...right up to the end and during it. It is a story style in the style of Metroid where things unfold without you being told.

Awesome game and one of the best of 2005. I can't wait to see what this team does with the PS3.

One aspect of this game that I did not see mentioned is the amazing soundtrack. It just rock in all aspects.

Sephex
03-15-2006, 06:51 AM
Yeah, that's most of the reason why I would go on and on.

-N-
03-15-2006, 07:28 AM
This game is quite possibly one of the best this decade has seen.
Like Sephex, just don't get me started. Oh man. It's great.

Vincent Valentine
03-15-2006, 02:41 PM
You know, there's one thing about Shadow of the Colossus that I really hate... and it's that, having experienced it's wonder, pratically every other adventure game I play now feels like an incredibly dull experience. They lack something that SoTC just got... so damn right.

The scale of the whole damn thing. The desolute beauty of the world map... I've never seen empty space portrayed in such a glorious manner before. The poignant story telling. The pure uniqueness of the whol experience! The fights with the colossi, and the pure, epic (and sometimes hard to fathom) scale of them!

"I'm not actually flying on the back of this thing, am I?!"
"He didn't just throw me half a mile across the scenery, did he?!"
"Stay still, doggie!"

It's such an andrenalin rush when you're actually fighting them Yet when you finally strike that killing blow, it's hard not to feel like you're doing something terribly, horribly wrong...

I could talk about this for hours... I'll add more of my thoughts later! :)

amratis
03-15-2006, 02:51 PM
Is it really this good? I've been pondering wether to get it or not. I pass it in the shops all the time.

Sergeant Hartman
03-15-2006, 03:57 PM
The horse dies because it falls down some cliff, oh but it comes back to life in the end, magic.

Edit by Kishi: Mark your spoilers, jerk.

Vincent Valentine
03-15-2006, 04:07 PM
The horse dies because it falls down some cliff, oh but it comes back to life in the end, magic.

Geez man... Cover up the spoilers, will you? :rolleyes2

He didn't die when he fell off the cliff. The fall simply didn't kill him, that's all.

Cruise Control
03-15-2006, 04:10 PM
This game is almost as hardcore as the brave little toaster. It was simply amazing.

Jsb01
03-15-2006, 08:31 PM

Geez man... Cover up the spoilers, will you? :rolleyes2

He didn't die when he fell off the cliff. The fall simply didn't kill him, that's all.

yeah that would make more sence

Dreddz
03-15-2006, 08:36 PM
Thank god I knew that before you spoiled. Seriously, spoilers piss me off.

Jsb01
03-15-2006, 08:53 PM
I didn't know it... :(

Necronopticous
03-17-2006, 06:02 PM
I didn't expect Argo to die from the fall anyway, considering swords, arrows, javelins, and explosions simply bounce off of him and upset him.

Dude1972
03-19-2006, 02:26 AM
..Shadow of the Colossus is a pretty good game. I like it really much. Right now I'm at the last one...and man it's freaking hard! I'm angry that I can't beat it.

FallenAngel411
03-19-2006, 03:36 AM
You can hitch rides on hawks???

Where have I been the last four times I beat this game.....

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-19-2006, 03:42 AM
You can cling to fish and let them pull you around, too, but they're only found in one area.

FallenAngel411
03-19-2006, 06:26 AM
Whoa....ok SO gotta try when I get back home.

The last colossus....my first time I fell off of his hand repeatedly for about two hours, left the game running for eight while I went to classes, then came back and spent another hour repeatedly scaling him and falling off his hand/back/arm/head until I finally perservered. You can do it. The trick is not to go insane. Good times.

Yew-Yevon
03-20-2006, 02:12 AM
...........U let your PS2 run for 10 hours? Are you insaine!?! U trying to destroy it befor its time?!?!?

anyway congrats on beating the game...I still trying to get the invisible cloak

Reine
03-20-2006, 05:18 AM
Getting on that insanely long bridge? How do you do that? Or this secret garden thing for that matter..

BTW, I just defeated the second Colossus, so if you cant get there yet, no spoilers please

Also, when do the Ico references appear? I bought Ico as well, but I havent gotten far with it

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-20-2006, 05:42 AM
Getting on that insanely long bridge? How do you do that? Or this secret garden thing for that matter..Go behind the temple and look for a wall covered in moss. If you have enough stamina (which increases every time you kill a colossus or eat a white-tailed lizard), you can climb up until you reach a route of ledges and more mossgrown walls that eventually lands you beside the bridge where Wander originally entered the temple. (There's a glitch of sorts available here in that jumping diagonally up a wall doesn't actually consume any stamina, but there are places along the route where you can't exploit this and are required to spend some.)

From the temple entrance, you can set out across the long bridge, which takes about ten minutes to traverse since it spans about half the game's map and you have to go it on foot. Or, you can go up a staircase leading to the so-called secret garden, which contains some things of interest.
Also, when do the Ico references appear? I bought Ico as well, but I havent gotten far with it

The shadowy beings that threaten Wander in the game's opening and stand around him each time he returns to the temple after killing a colossus are the same as the Queen's minions who plague Ico and Yorda throughout ICO.
Completing the time attack for every colossus in Hard Mode will earn you the "Queen's Sword" item.
There is a beach near colossus #10 that is practically identical to the beach from ICO's ending.
If you have ICO save data on your memory card, Argo will have the "I" from ICO's logo instead of a diamond on his forehead.
The game's ending.

Reine
03-20-2006, 05:49 AM
Thanks, i'll try that soon

I dont play this game often, as I dont really want it to be over so soon. I spent the first few hours of the game exploring, and the first colossus, really had my heart pounding..this is defintely the coolest game ive ever played..

Also, I havent noticed the "I" on Agro's head...the Ico and SoTC files are on the same card..xD, I guess ive been busy with the scenery..

I noticed the shadows though...

When I first played it, I thought the dead girl would be Yorda, until I saw her face that is

NM
03-20-2006, 11:51 AM
Just a note. The diagonal jump not using stamina glitch was taken out of the PAL version, as was the ledge that you could rest on half way up.

If you've got the PAL version your going to have to get to your 3rd play through (Your grip gauge needs to go of the screen, past the bottom right had corner.) and get pretty much every white tailed lizard on the map, if you want to get to the top.

Reine
03-20-2006, 12:02 PM
Oh smurf...

I wanted to get up there..

I was wondering why that glitch wasnt working

Crehan89
03-20-2006, 06:03 PM
Shadow... and ICO should sit proudly on any gamers shelf, like it does on mine, i also have the original edition of Ico including the art cards which came with it, like they do in shadow, it was the same material casing. I like games which have smart cases!!:D

Dreddz
03-20-2006, 06:06 PM
awwww man, the US version of SOC didnt have Cards.

Reine
03-20-2006, 07:07 PM
I have Ico and Shadow next to each other...but unfortunately, not the special Ico case

I love these games

tenhitcombo
04-05-2006, 07:42 AM
the ending is so awesome

Reine
04-05-2006, 07:49 AM
I just defeated the fourth one the other day, man I love the battles, I spent an hour trying to figure out how to get on it, but once I did, it was too easy...too bad you cant play on Hard from the start..

tenhitcombo
04-05-2006, 07:55 AM
yer true that hard is way better
im playing hard right now and shesssh its hard

Vincent Valentine
04-05-2006, 08:37 PM
http://z-o-g.org/gallery2/ico/watc-caps/brl/

Here's an interesting little find that someone from the other forum I frequent pointed out on there... Some fans are theorising that the structure in the distance in those pictures could possibly be the castle from Ico... It certainly bears a similarity, despite it's blurriness...