PDA

View Full Version : Name pronounciation

Moon Rabbits
03-15-2006, 04:05 AM
Is it just me or do FF fans seem to always over analyze names and their pronunciations. Like Jenova being pronounced Jeh-Neh-Va...o doesn't make a 'eh' sound.
And Tifa, it's Tee-fa, plain and simple, I sounds like E in japanese.
Or Sephiroth, it's Se-fear-oth, not Sep-her-oth. Why do I know this? Because PH makes a FFFF sound, and Sephy's name is Sefirosu (or something) in Japan.
There is also Tidus, some say it's Tie-dus because that is proper english, but once more Japanese pronounce I as E so it become Tee-dus.

Does anyone dis-agree or have any names they wish to discuss the pronounciation of?

Zeromus_X
03-15-2006, 04:49 AM
Well, the correct pronunciation would be a romanized version of the Japanese name. Problem is, they aren't always romanized correctly. (Like "Aerith->Aeris", "Lenna->Reina".) Or some people don't care.

Also, many people are used to the names they got in whatever version was released wherever they lived. Like "Tina->Terra". That would be a matter of preference for which one you'd say. (Though extremists like me use "Tina" :p) Same thing with "Butz->Bartz", at least in the fan translation. Butz is his real (Japanese version) name, but some people use Bartz anyway. (I do admit that Butz is a rather embarrasing name.)

The only thing that bugs me is "Cain->Kain". We all know they meant "Cain", but they took the katakana literally and used "Kain". Oh well, I guess it happens.

As for the ones you listed:

Jenova: Jeh-no-vah. Like "Jehova", but with an 'n'. That's what's it's based off of anyway.

Sephiroth: Seh-fee-roth. Maybe not so much emphasis on the 'ee' sound. Japanese don't have a "th" sound, they substitute it with an "s" sound. (Like Aerith being Aeris.)

Tifa: Tee-fa.

Tidus: Tidus' real name is "Tida". Don't know what they were thinking there. Guess they didn't want more than one character with four letters in their name or something. (Pronounced "Tee-da".)

Avathar
04-03-2006, 02:37 PM
Jenova: Jéh-Noh-Vah
Sephiroth: Sèh-Phèh-Roth
Tifa: Tif-fa
Tidus: Tie-dus
And Celes: Either Kay-Less or Say-Less^^

theundeadhero
04-03-2006, 03:06 PM
Pronounce the names in whatever way that makes you happy, whether it's the officilal way or not.