PDA

View Full Version : What's so great about the classics?

Mazzora
03-15-2006, 04:00 PM
The only classics I liked were 5&6. I never quite aquired a tatse for 1 and 2. What's so great about them?

boys from the dwarf
03-15-2006, 04:01 PM
i agree that 1 and 2 arent as good as a lot of the other FFs but they are good games and are often underrated.

Elpizo
03-15-2006, 04:41 PM
i agree that 1 and 2 arent as good as a lot of the other FFs but they are good games and are often underrated.
Sure they are underrated. Like there are FF's overrated.

But if you never battled Chaos and never visited Pandaemonium, than you aren't a die-hard FF-fan.

For me, Final Fantasy I is still one of the best FF's in my opinion. It has something new to it. The story is simple but that's what makes it so great.

And it had one of the best randombattle music ;)

FF II wasn't as great as FF I but still very good, my only complaint is that the Emperor (Hell form) was way to hard even for a final Boss. Without a bloodsword you're toast.

So what's make them so great? Well, for one, if these classics weren't made, you wouldn't play FF VII, VIII and all those 'greater' FF now.
They were fun and original. Simple but addicting. And that's what makes them great in my opinion.

Crossblades
03-15-2006, 05:55 PM
The only classics I liked were 5&6. I never quite aquired a tatse for 1 and 2. What's so great about them?

They're fun and enjoyable

boys from the dwarf
03-15-2006, 09:20 PM
and the difficulty of FF2 was great because often FFs are too easy. sometimes its just because people hyper level up and get all special equipment. people say that FF7 is easy but thats usually because they got KoTR and omnislash and got to level 99. if you try it without that and on lower levels its actually quite tough. the main reason i found the emporor tricky is because i had to go through 2 very hard dungeons and by the time i was at the emperor i had very few items left. FF1 is simple and one of the most enjoyable and that makes up for its slight lack in storyline (or at leasy compared to other FFs like FF9.) but the ending sequence just feels so good to watch even if its only writing. FF2 was great. it had difficulty , a good storyline ,although there were only a few mysteries and plot twists the overall dark feel to the game was definetly inspiration towards other FF games storylines and without FF2 the other, newer FFs would never have been nearly as good. there not the best because they were the earliest in the massive and brilliant series but without them i doubt the series would have been as good.

Prancing Mad
03-16-2006, 01:04 AM
Classics have charm to them. Like playing pacman or tetris, it's not because they're superb or beautiful. It's actually quite the opposite. By today's comparisons, they're ugly, raw, unfinished, bare boned games. That's why they're wicked. Because they were able to give out a lot of fun even though they had so much against them (as far as technology went).

Moon Rabbits
03-16-2006, 04:38 AM
I love them because they're so simple, and more so because they're addictive...sure FF I&2's battles where you accidently waste an attack on an enemy who died that turn can get annoying, but it's still super fun.

Plus, they're the hardest of the hard. Most of the FF fans from now-a-days think FFX had hard bosses (like that flying one...what was its name?) but FF1-3 had ultra-mega-hard bosses...and you're ALWAYS short on money because everything is so god damned expensive...and FF1 you had to save in inns, that was annoying.

But, if you can get past the bad parts of the game's design you can love the games alot, because they're simple and fun. I'm a little reluctant to see one of them (3) being turned into a 3d game...it ruins the nostalgia.

I'll admit that I only played FFs1-3 three years ago...but hey, the games older than me so I guess that's my excuse.

Vincent, Thunder God
03-22-2006, 11:30 PM
That's a bit harsh, Mazzora. Granted, 1 and 2 were bad but I liked 4,5,6.

I agree with aisle_s.

Vyk
03-23-2006, 01:02 AM
I liked NES FF1. The new one doesn't cut it with me. There was just something mindlessly awesome back then. I enjoyed random encounters in that game for some reason. It usually meant someone was asking for an ass-kicking. 'Course I always used the cheapest group. Two fighters a white mage and black mage. After they grew up they were invincible. 'Cept for some cheap higher end monsters and bosses who enjoyed a good over-dose of one-hit-kills. And the graphics are just too cute. Very vibrant and crisp. Not dull, pastelle, and blurry like its predicessor. Sadly I've never really given FF2 a chance.

Tavrobel
03-23-2006, 01:02 AM

What's so great about the old-school games is just that: they are old-school. Somewhere deep in that mind of yours is a young child who enjoys life because he doesn't know any better to do anything else.

They are simple, but fun. Every annoyance only makes you angry and makes you want to continue further. None of the new games really have such a charm, because you are given SO many options, that if you lose, you are ashamed, and you'd be surprised if you even came back to play it within an hour (and you should be, these new games are intolerably easy).

Without I and IIj, you wouldn't have any of the other FFs. FFIV, which introduced the ATB (a revolution in those days, also an old school), FFVI, which has the greatest three characters of all time: a crazy, genocidal villian who dresses like a clown, looks like a clown, acts like a clown, walks and talks like a clown, but with the mind of some pseudo Hitler/Stalin/Evil Knievel/Inspector Dreyfus combination of the four. the other two are the most sex-appealing characters of all time: a smart blonde girl who knows what she wants, and knows how she will get it, and a small tormented little-sister-esque girl who you just can't help but feel sorry for.

FFIIIj is the most underrated. It introduces you the job system used in the future FFs. Plus, I, IIj, IIIj, IV-Hardtype, and V are some of the more challenging games you will play. That can't be said of VII, where you can beat Sephiroth at level 37 without Life materia and Pheonix downs, or X, where all you need is 45 sphere levels and BAM!, Jecht is dead. FFX-2 doesn't even require that you have a controller plugged in.

Vincentsinnerdemon
03-23-2006, 02:32 AM
Plus, I, IIj, IIIj, IV-Hardtype, and V are some of the more challenging games you will play. That can't be said of VII, where you can beat Sephiroth at level 37 without Life materia and Pheonix downs, or X, where all you need is 45 sphere levels and BAM!, Jecht is dead. FFX-2 doesn't even require that you have a controller plugged in.

This is the absolute truth and is why I&II are some of my favorites. I have to say I even enjoyed the DoS version just cause it was portable.(Even though they were too easy compared to the origional.)

Evastio
03-23-2006, 03:01 AM

You don't like 3 or 4 either!? :eek:

FF2 had a really great story for it's time. Also, it's really awesome how so many people put their lives on the line to help Firion, Maria, and Gus. Also, you can't tell me you don't like the World Map music. :)

FF1 has awesome gameplay and it's challenging. :)
At least the NES and PS Normal Mode versions are challenging.

DJZen
03-23-2006, 03:05 AM
I like the old games because they're good. Even without all the flash of today (for their time they were VERY flashy), they still hold up against the slow decay of time. FFI is one of the most fun and addictive RPGs I've had the honor of playing.

The Devourer Of Worlds
03-23-2006, 08:22 AM
You have not lived until you have played FFIIIj.

Ok, that's not entirely true, but it makes life very slightly better.

Slam Dancin' Moogle
04-05-2006, 03:54 AM
The new ones have all these complications, like MP, which gets annoying with math, and with all the techniques it's confusing, and like in FFTA when you have to use certain weapons to learn techs (CURSE YOU SHORT SWORDS!)

The old ones wer simpler, easier to understand (and are much harder and take more patience than others) and just plain fun. Heck, if I had nothing to do all day, I would spend 2 hours just to get FFI to work just to have it crash 5 minutes later... :mog: ?

Zeromus_X
04-05-2006, 04:13 AM
I still can't understand why FFII is hard...frustrating, but not difficult if you're prepared. :cat:

Anyway, at least play FFIII. It isn't hard enough to pull your hair out, except maybe for the Giant Rat...:cry::cat: And it has the best FF characters ever: Dorga and Unne. And that cool song they have....:cat: FFI has infinite replay value, and FFII has an awesome final dungeon. Too bad if you hate the rest of the game not to play until then, it's worth it just to go to Pandaemonium :p :cat:

DarkLadyNyara
04-05-2006, 06:51 PM
FF II wasn't as great as FF I but still very good, my only complaint is that the Emperor (Hell form) was way to hard even for a final Boss. Without a bloodsword you're toast.

Aw... that's the best part. What good is a final boss who doesn't kick your ass a few times? And I love the fact that II makes it hard to level-whore. :D

Azure Chrysanthemum
04-05-2006, 07:19 PM
Because they show a progression of both storyline quality and graphical technology, as opposed to a progression of graphical technology and a regression of story quality. And that they're genuinely good games. I, too, did not like FFI for it's lack of story and FFII for it's system, which irritated me. Consequently I dislike FFVIII for much the same reason (discounting Rinoa, of course).

Dreddz
04-05-2006, 07:43 PM
FF1 and 2 arent generally great games and I know lots of FF fans that dont like them, although most like to play them to see where the series started and you can see stuff taken from the originals that we still see in FF's released today which is cool.

DJZen
04-06-2006, 02:10 AM
If you dislike the roots of the series, how can you truly call yourself a fan of the series?

NB: FFVII does NOT count as roots.

Slam Dancin' Moogle
04-06-2006, 04:34 AM
If you dislike the roots of the series, how can you truly call yourself a fan of the series?

NB: FFVII does NOT count as roots.
Yes. What I hated was that no one that I knew knew that FF started on Nintendo, they all assumed it had started on PS and belonged to it :eep: :moomba: :eek:

feioncastor
04-06-2006, 05:08 AM
You can't aruge taste...

I hate Final Fantasy VIII. Seriously, in my honest opinion, it is one of the worst games ever made by Square. I find it to be a disgrace to the Final Fantasy name, and I think that it sullied the work done by previous installments to the series.

But I do like FF7. It's one of my favorite games, ever. And FF6, as well. FF6 may be my favorite game ever made by any company.

Insterestingly enough, I know a girl who liked FF7 a lot, just like me. But she absolutely LOVED FF8. It is, by far, her favorite game she has ever played.

So I talked her into trying FF6. And she didn't care for it at all. She couldn't get more than 2 hours into it because she did not like it.

So we both liked 7, a lot. But I loved 6 and she hated it. And she loved 8 and I hated it.

It goes to show that you can't argue taste.

Final Fantasy 1 was incredibly charming and rather addictive. The technological capabilities of the 1980's prevented Square from making the game like they may have wanted to, but I wouldn't change anything about FF1. It was challenging, and I still enjoy playing the original NES version of it, so many years later. And I'm sure I always will.

What about the gameplay does this to me? I don't know for sure.

But I am convinced of one thing.

GAMEPLAY makes the game. Not music, not graphics, not even really story. Games are usually measured by those four parameters. Gameplay, graphics, music and story. But gameplay is what makes you continue to play the game. The graphics, story, and music should support the gameplay. You shouldn't sell a game on graphics, or anything but fun gameplay.

Take Tetris for example.

The gameplay hasn't really changed much in about 20 years. But it's still is fun as heck, and is still a game that I can play for a few hours in one sitting. Is it because it has good graphics? No. Music? Yeah, the three songs you can listen to are awesome and all, but heck, the game is still just as fun with the volume down. Story? Unless I've missed something, Tetris has no storyline.

So why do people like myself continue to play Tetris, all these years later?

Because of the gameplay!

Final Fantasy X-2 may have excellent graphics, fun music, and a cool story, but it lacks in gameplay, the fundamental element that makes games so addictive.

I can honestly say that I have not played a RPG with absolutely outstanding gameplay since Final Fantasy Tactics. There have been some okay games (like FFTA, FF9, Chrono Cross, .Hack), but nothing that is absolutely addictive.

DarkLadyNyara
04-06-2006, 05:02 PM
Yes. What I hated was that no one that I knew knew that FF started on Nintendo, they all assumed it had started on PS and belonged to it
I have no comment...
:twak:

Llanowar
04-06-2006, 09:02 PM
I Always have enjoyed the classics and to be perfectly honest always will. I do not know why but FFVI is the RPG that has me addicted so badly as I sit here I am trying to think of what I can do to beat it faster, at lower levels, etc. I as of now can beat the game in 6:04.

However you also can't argue with ANY of the other classes LOL.

Slam Dancin' Moogle
04-09-2006, 09:12 PM
I don't have much taste for the later FF games, because they've just gotten way to complicated. I have to agree with feioncastor; music and graphics don't make a difference, even though music does help me do better in games for some reason. I have to disagree though, about story. I think that the story is what will get you addicted to the game, because if you just go by the name of the game, you might not like it.

Lon611
04-13-2006, 10:15 PM
for me, final fantasy one was simple, and yet it had a great storyline *albeit very short, and wasn't really reveiled until right before u fought chaos*, but it was very fufilling. (and since i've only played the GBA version)...i have to add that the extra dungeons are a great sidequest :):p

ff2 didn't do much for me. i loved that there was a storyline that made some sense and was drawn out, but i agree with every1 that if u didn't have the bloodsword, ur toast.

ff4 (haven't played ff3) had some of the great characters and storyline in the entire series. nufff said.

and ff6...well i shudn't have to esplain. :rolleyes2

also i have to agree that the newer ff's are getting way too complicated, and im hesitant about ff12. for me, ff7-10 is about as complicating as it shud get.

DJZen
04-13-2006, 10:20 PM
Final Fantasy X-2 may have excellent graphics, fun music, and a cool story, but it lacks in gameplay, the fundamental element that makes games so addictive.

I'd like to respectfully disagree there. For me the only thing that was fun about FFX-2 was the gameplay. Everything else I couldn't have possibly cared less about.