PDA

View Full Version : Napoleon Dynamite is over-rated and not that funny

Flying Mullet
03-15-2006, 11:45 PM
This thread is to educate all you heathens who think that this movie is hilarious and the second coming of Christ for some reason.

That is all.

escobert
03-15-2006, 11:46 PM
it was funny the first time I saw it. Now it's stupid.

Venom
03-15-2006, 11:48 PM
I never saw it.

And just from the way people were quoting it all the time made me dislike it.

Rye
03-15-2006, 11:52 PM
I personally think it's a really funny movie. :) I don't quote it insanely, because that kills it, but I get in a few of the more obscure quotes every so often when I see fit. Particularly Holy Chips. You have to be an insane fan to get that. Or at least, watch the deleted scenes. Heathen'd!

TheAbominatrix
03-16-2006, 12:06 AM
I think it's pretty funny. Definitly overrated, but funny all the same.

RSL
03-16-2006, 12:09 AM
I agree with TheAbominatrix. I enjoyed the movie. I've only seen it once, probably won't see it again, but I enjoyed it. I do think some people rate it too highly and definitley go overboard with the quotes and whatnot.

kikimm
03-16-2006, 12:14 AM
I liked it a lot. It might just be overrated, yeah, but I think it IS that funny! Hahaha. I've been wanting to watch it again, lately. This thread has inspired me to go to Blockbuster!

XxSephirothxX
03-16-2006, 12:15 AM
The amount of people who quoted that movie, from previews and again after its release, instilled in me a burning hatred that will probably never die. I don't want to ever see that movie, and just hearing anything about it makes me cringe. From what I've heard, I don't think much of the humor would appeal to me anyway.

Psychotic
03-16-2006, 12:30 AM
I've heard it quoted and seen clips of Napoleon dancing/going over that ramp so many times, that by the time I actually watched it, I knew all the jokes and didn't find it funny. It's not funny if you quote it out of context anyway.

RSL
03-16-2006, 12:34 AM
I guess I was lucky in that I didn't really know anything about the movie and hadn't heard any quotes or anything when I watched it.

Meat Puppet
03-16-2006, 12:38 AM
Never heard about it.

http://www.nzmeatmerino.com/Images/Offer.jpg

Venom
03-16-2006, 12:40 AM
Never heard about it.

http://www.nzmeatmerino.com/Images/Offer.jpg

Your one of the lucky few.

DMKA
03-16-2006, 12:52 AM
I watched it to see why it was so popular and I never stopped hearing about it and seeing "VOTE FOR PEDRO" shirts...what did I get? A boring, plotless, empty movie that didn't make me so much as crack a smile once.

The only charm that movie had at all, in my opinion, was the dance scene during the school president assembly. Other than that it was crap.

Winter Nights
03-16-2006, 01:00 AM
I never saw it.

And just from the way people were quoting it all the time made me dislike it.
Pretty much it.

Skarr
03-16-2006, 01:42 AM
Over-rated...hell yeah. Not funny-hell no. I liked the movie only due to the fact that I was never hyped up by anyone to see the damn flick. It was on one day and I saw it, thought it was a good way to pass an hour and forty-five minutes...and that's about it. :/ Btw Flying Mullet is under-rated and contrary to popular belief...freaking hilarious. ;P

Germ Hamee
03-16-2006, 02:15 AM
Thank you! I saw it without having even heard of it before and DESPISED every minute of it... come to find out a week later that the movie's fricken huge. What is the world coming to??

Jsb01
03-16-2006, 02:58 AM
it is boring and stupid

Shoeberto
03-16-2006, 03:09 AM
The over-quoting built it up like it was something spectacular and it just ended up being decent.

Way overrated, but watchable.

SammieBabe
03-16-2006, 03:30 AM
Overrated and over-quoted? Absolutely...
I still get enjoyment out of the fact that my husband has an ex girlfriend named Tina, who I can't stand, and who happens to be overweight....:D

Zell's Fists of Fury
03-16-2006, 04:04 AM
I got a kick out of it.

Moon Rabbits
03-16-2006, 04:10 AM
Anyone talking about that usually gets me yelling "thats 2 fucking hours i can never get back" or "I can't do anything smart enough to make up for the stupidity of that movie". It sucked, it was funny for the first 10 minutes and then got repetitive because the writers were morons who couldn't actually make real jokes so they put a nerdy guy doing stupid stuff over and over again...anyone quoting it makes me so mad because I've only seen the movie once (the liars said it was REALLY GOOD) but I might as well have seen it 100 times because of all the quotes ive heard...they aren't even funny, and everyone has vote for pedro shirts...like what the hell that part was one of the least funny parts, and the liger? WTF.

I hate that movie.

Markus. D
03-16-2006, 04:19 AM
well, to tell ya the truth its not a comedy movie.... its an arthouse film.

and there are some chuckling parts, whilst not funny, aid comically.

its a spiffy film.... Date Movie is better in randomness (wants to see)

Zeromus_X
03-16-2006, 05:28 AM
it was funny the first time I saw it. Now it's stupid.

Just like AC! :p :cat:

No, but it was okay. Cute, but not that funny.:choc2:

Shlup
03-16-2006, 05:30 AM
Ditto those who feel it's overrated, but still funny. I really like that movie.

FF1337Cloud
03-16-2006, 05:39 AM
it pwned the 1st time.
2nd ok..
3rd zzz...

Timber Maniac
03-16-2006, 06:37 AM
The "Vote for Pedro" tee-shirt is the worst thing since the Ramones and CBGB shirt craze.

Slade
03-16-2006, 09:36 AM
I just watched that for the first time tonight. It definatly wasn't as cool as everyone makes it out to be. I did find the dance quite hilarious though :D

Cz
03-16-2006, 06:12 PM
I hadn't really heard much about it before seeing it, since it doesn't seem to have been quite as big a hit over here. That was probably a good thing, since it meant I had no idea what I was in for, and none of the jokes had been worn out through overuse. As it turned out, it wasn't a great movie, but definitely made me chuckle in parts. I suppose it'd get pretty irritating if you had to hear the same jokes recycled over and over again, though.

Ouch!
03-16-2006, 06:22 PM
I, too, am of the opinion that it wasn't that funny. I've been told you have to watch it with a group of people. I don't see how that would make it any more amusing, but as it was, I watched it late at night on my computer, in my room, all alone.

The only thing I enjoyed was his dance scene. That was great. The rest was mediocre.

Burtsplurt
03-16-2006, 06:23 PM
Yep, I'm the same as 121. I hadn't heard much about it at all when I rented it with friends. I enjoyed it a lot and I think laughing too much made my sides hurt. Oh well.

I couldn't quote a single thing from it, though. And I've only seen it once.

Moon Rabbits
03-16-2006, 07:21 PM
I've been told you have to watch it with a group of people.

False. It is the same as watching it alone...I think, because I've only seen it once, in a group.

NeoCracker
03-16-2006, 08:45 PM
It was alright. Best part was Pedro's pertection.
And I agree it wasn't a comedy, but its not what you said. Its a Documentery. Everyone in that movie is just like the people here in Idaho, except Napolean. But I swear I know almost every other person in that movie. Yes, that includes the loon who by's the time machine.

SoulTaker*
03-16-2006, 09:02 PM
Im sorry, I thought it was very funny, the first time I saw it. It was a movie really about nothing, it really had no point to it. My favorite character had to be Rex.

"Take a look at what I'm wearin, people. You think anybody wants a roundhouse kick to the face while I'm wearin these bad boys?" "Forget about it."

yoshigirl
03-16-2006, 09:23 PM
ya, i thought it was pretty stupid when i first saw it, (but then again, i thought the same w/ pirates of the carribean--only the 1st time--i <3ed it the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th times ;))

Trumpet Thief
03-16-2006, 11:25 PM
This thread is to educate all you heathens who think that this movie is hilarious and the second coming of Christ for some reason.

That is all.

Trowa: I. LOVE. YOU.

Dreddz
03-16-2006, 11:28 PM
I thought it was pretty funny, but its moments where too few for me to say its was very funny.

GooeyToast
03-17-2006, 02:24 AM
It was ok, but definetly over-quoted and overrated. I've seen a lot funnier films.

Markus. D
03-17-2006, 03:31 AM
again.... its not a comedy...

its an arthouse film.

faster skating penguin
03-17-2006, 01:37 PM
His uncle was a decent character, though.

People who love it love it for the stuid parts that suck and don't even notice that parts that are actually funny.

Acid Raine
03-19-2006, 05:42 AM
I hate this movie. I hate it, and I have never seen it. I REFUSE to see it. I have bajillions of my friends saying "OMG It is soooooooo funny!" and "You will be missing out if you don't!" and blah blah blah. IM NOT GOING TO!!!! It makes you stupider, I'm sure. Last year, I had someone I knew and one of my teachers QUOTING FREAKING LINE AFTER LINE OF THE MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!! >-< IT IS A CURSE UPON OUR GENERATION!!!!!

Rengori
03-19-2006, 05:58 AM
My friend's nonstopped quoting of the movie made me not want to watch it more than once.

Lychon
03-19-2006, 05:58 AM
This movie is one the most original artsy and comedic works I've seen in a very long time. I actually think this is positive for the current generation, as it brings the image of lesser known social groups and individuals into the mainstream, thereby furthering the entire counterculture movement and breaking down senseless misconceptions. Dynamite!

-LYCHON

Acid Raine
03-19-2006, 06:01 AM
Except in nowadays "teenage society" there is the new thing of "uncool is cool", hence emo-ism being popular, and the "Nerds Are Hot" T-shirts....

Azure Chrysanthemum
03-19-2006, 08:08 AM
I found the movie rather amusing. Watched it with a bunch of friends, a lot of what they did was quite clever and definitely enjoyable.

That being said I don't need to hear the movie quoted quite as much as I do, and it's not the movie I would run out and buy or watch again. I wouldn't be averse to seeing it again in a situation where that was pretty much the only option to remain with whatever social group I happened to be with at the time, but I don't feel any compelling need to see it again.

Rikku_Yuffie_girl
03-22-2006, 07:56 PM
I thought it was flippin sweet man how can you not like it:)

~SapphireStar~
03-22-2006, 08:09 PM
God, my cousin and boyfriend worship this film, but I cant bear to even look at the DVD cover. It makes me cringe, such an overrated and annoying film, specially the 'die-hard' fans who are snobby up-their-own-arse posh students who quote it nonstop.

Samuraid
03-22-2006, 09:15 PM
I think it's pretty funny. Definitly overrated, but funny all the same.

Yeah, most of the people I talked with who had seen it either completely loved it, or completely despised it.

Clouded Sky
03-22-2006, 09:21 PM
I really enjoyed this movie. I've seen it double digit times now, and as long as I don't watch it more than once every two weeks, it doesn't seem to get old. :)

blackline77
03-22-2006, 09:21 PM
it was hilarious u just have to watch it a couple of times.

Flying Mullet
03-22-2006, 09:23 PM
Apparently some of you missed the reason for this thread. Let me remind you:

That is all.
:yellowkin

Strider
03-22-2006, 09:31 PM
I liked it because it's minimalist humor.

Rikku_Yuffie_girl
03-22-2006, 09:54 PM
WELL THANKS SAPPHIRESTAR FOR NOTICING I QUOTED FROM THE MOVIE SO I MUST BE ONE OF THOSE FANS YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT

SoulTaker*
03-22-2006, 10:02 PM
Watched it again today and....Yep, still funny.

~SapphireStar~
03-22-2006, 10:44 PM
WELL THANKS SAPPHIRESTAR FOR NOTICING I QUOTED FROM THE MOVIE SO I MUST BE ONE OF THOSE FANS YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT
What the hell is with the caps? And what quote? Flippin' sweet? I say that all the time, as does much of the young generation.

SoulTaker*
03-22-2006, 11:01 PM
"What are you going to do today Napoleon?"

"Whatever I feel like, gosh!"

HA!

Rikku_Yuffie_girl
03-23-2006, 08:09 PM
I have 2 shirts, a poster, a calender, socks and you dont think i know if its from the movie or not. Maybe its when hes says flippin ediot or maybe just maybe when he says flippin sweet.And if i want to use caps i can use caps.

VOTE FOR PEDRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~SapphireStar~
03-23-2006, 10:13 PM
I have 2 shirts, a poster, a calender, socks and you dont think i know if its from the movie or not. Maybe its when hes says flippin ediot or maybe just maybe when he says flippin sweet.And if i want to use caps i can use caps.
Using caps in a post is stupid and makes it seem as if you are being aggressive to others. Plus its pure laziness cause you cant be bothered to type in caps and lower case. I never said you didnt know what you said was from the movie. I said it wasnt much of a quote because everyone says flippin' sweet. I apologise to anyone who finds this confusing, blame her.

Reeno the Alchemist
03-24-2006, 12:55 AM
tis the best movie ranking in to number 2 fer me (meaning ac is still in first hohoho!!!)thanx rikku_yuffie_girl fer letting me barrow it lol:D member last year when me and you were in mr davis'es class and watched it and it was soo flippin funny we almost died from laughing lmao (LAUGHING SIEZURE sooooo fun!!)

VOTE FOR PEDRO
BOX BUDDIES UNITE ill call you later rikku_yuffie_girl hahaaaaaaa

mega_tonberry
03-24-2006, 12:57 AM
It wasn't funny....at all....in any way, shape or form.

Death Penalty
03-24-2006, 01:03 AM
Twas okay but nuttin great

Rikku_Yuffie_girl
03-24-2006, 02:05 AM
I'm not lazy and I'm allowed to use cap locks if i want to (and im not the one whos confusing)

~SapphireStar~
03-24-2006, 10:22 AM
Trust me dear, you are the one confused cause you took what I said in a completely different way to what was intended.

Epiphany
03-24-2006, 12:04 PM
I watched it to see why it was so popular and I never stopped hearing about it and seeing "VOTE FOR PEDRO" shirts...what did I get? A boring, plotless, empty movie that didn't make me so much as crack a smile once.

The only charm that movie had at all, in my opinion, was the dance scene during the school president assembly. Other than that it was crap.when the credits started rolling.

Rikku_Yuffie_girl
03-24-2006, 11:38 PM
Whatever leave me alone SpphireStar
vote for pedro

Kid_cronocrossrocks I do remember that it was so funny man i sure do miss lakewood

(CECIL120X
03-25-2006, 09:19 PM
liked it but it didnt make me laugh.........drama movies make me laugh.

the movie is slow in some scenes and is good only for you to see it one time. no offence(thats funny i typed that lol X)

Reeno the Alchemist
03-25-2006, 09:42 PM
make sure you dont double post again rikku_yuffie_girl i always got yelled at for it im gonna save yer but before you do it again

yea lakewoods the best we always get to watch NP
member when he said "you guys are retarded and mr Davis was like "what did he say"oohhh man that was funny "its still my second favorite movie no matter what people say

Mr. Graves
03-26-2006, 05:26 AM
I liked the way it was directed, but I wasn't very funny to me. I snickered in parts. I loved the song that played in the dance about being forever young. (Anyone have the artist/song name handy?)