PDA

View Full Version : Squareenix Japanese Games.

Moon Rabbits
03-16-2006, 03:49 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew how Square writes the scripts in their games? Are they written in Kanji+Kana, or just Kana? I've memorized the Kana and can read them and everything, so I'm wondering if I should start importing some FFs because I really want the international FF7/X and the Japenese version of FF8.

I mean, using Kanji would take alot of space on the discs wouldn't it? Considering how many there are?

DJZen
03-16-2006, 05:37 PM
Square's old Famicom games were done entirely in kana for the space issues you mentioned. Starting with the Super Famicom they started using kanji... I think...

starseeker
03-17-2006, 07:12 PM
I heard that kanji only got used from V onwards, but the tech was there for IV. Kana without kanji make reading more difficult in my opinion cos the same word can have many different meanings.

Kaspian K
03-18-2006, 01:57 AM
All current Square-Enix games are predominantly kanji-based. About the only games that may shy away from that are those intended for younger audiences (maybe Chocobo Racing?), and titles that came out over 15 years ago. Simply knowing katakana won't be enough to get through most video games. You'll just get frustrated with such limited understanding of the language.