PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy XII Hits Japan and Wada briefly discusses US and European releases

Crossblades
03-16-2006, 11:20 PM
http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2006/1139.html

Square Enix released Final Fantasy XII in Japan today, shipping two million units to retail stores across the nation. As always, Square Enix held a special event to commemorate the game's release at the Tsutaya store in Shibuya. At hand were Square Enix president Youichi Wada and the PlayStation 2 game's executive producer, Akitoshi Kawazu. Wada thanked the 200 fans that had braved comparatively cold temperatures and waited in line until the store opened at 07:00 am JST. Kawazu emphasized the game's long development cycle and massive development team, saying it was literally a big title.
One of the first fans to receive his copy of the game immediately took the opportunity to approach Wada and ask for a PlayStation 3 remake of Final Fantasy VII. He apparently caught the Square Enix president off-guard with his request, as the latter could only reply: "It's extremely difficult, but we will look into it".

In the evening, fans could attend a life performance by Angela Aki. Composer Nobuo Uematsu was also in attendance. Like in previous appearances, the songstress performed not only Final Fantasy XII's main theme Kiss Me Good-Bye, but also Eyes on Me, the main theme of Final Fantasy VIII.

Wada briefly touched on the subject of Final Fantasy XII's US and European releases. Square Enix apparently aims to release the game until the beginning of the crucial Holiday season (Thanksgiving) on both sides of the Atlantic.

Dreddz
03-17-2006, 09:58 AM
So the EU and US get it at the same time ?

Crossblades
03-17-2006, 02:15 PM
I would assume so

The Devourer Of Worlds
03-17-2006, 02:45 PM
Thank fucking God. I would be pissed if I had to dodge spoilers for 4 months until the game came out over here...

Crossblades
03-17-2006, 03:05 PM
Here's a complete review of the game from IGN. It goes into detail about the License Board, earning Gil, Gambit, Mist Knacks, and more.

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/696/696513p1.html

Page 1

I'm totally through with Japanese RPGs. There, I said it. What was once my favorite game genre has been spoiled by a rush of PS2 sequels that tack on a 3, 4 or 5 but keep the same tired battle system, tired storyline and tired presentation of predecessors. Hey look! I just selected a fire spell from a menu that has options for attack, magic and items, and now that guy is casting a fire spell! And he's shouting out a cool catch phrase too! That's never been done before!

Surprisingly, the Japanese RPG with the largest number of them all is the one to do away with many conventions of the genre. From the moment you start play, to at least the six hour mark (that's where I had to stop playing in order to write up these impressions) Final Fantasy XII offers an RPG experience like never before.
The biggest changes FFXII brings to the RPG world, and the FF series itself for that matter, should already be familiar with gamers based in America (well, the ones who were smart enough to pick up Dragon Quest VIII and its FFXII demo, that is). Random battles and distant overhead views are a thing of the past with FFXII, as we've detailed in past previews. You're now thrown right into the action, with full camera control via the right analogue stick and without the awkward transitions to a virtual battle world separate from the main field of play.

The battle system, while a departure from the static menu-based fare of the past, is easy to figure out in the final build of FFXII. The game holds your hand as you start playing, explaining a few basic concepts through a short tutorial section, then letting you get used to the new system first by fighting alone, then by gradually building up a party. You can slow down or speed up the pace of battles (in our new videos, the speed is set to highest) and switch between active and passive modes. Passive mode pauses the action when you bring up your battle command menu.

Micromanaging each character in your party with individual commands probably wouldn't fit too well with FFXII's battle system, but thanks to the "Gambit" system, you won't have to. This powerful AI system lets you assign custom AI routines to each character in your party.

Each AI routine is referred to as a Gambit. A Gambit consists of an action and a target for that action. Actions can make a character use particular items, attacks, magic spells or skills. Targets can be set as enemies or party members and can even be specified with usage conditions. It's possible to set up a Gambit to make a character use a heal potion (the action) only on party members whose life has gone down by 70% (the target). You can also make a character attack (the action) the enemy that's currently engaged with the party leader (the target).

The power of the Gambit system grows along with your characters. As you learn new spells and skills, you gain new actions that can be selected for a Gambit. New target types can be acquired at a Gambit shop in town. You can even increase the number of Gambits held by a character. These can then be ordered, resulting in priority for certain actions. For instance, you can make a character first attack the enemy currently engaging the party leader, then attack the nearest enemy. Each Gambit can be toggled on and off individually from the main menu.

One cool feature of the Gambit system is that you can make even the party leader run under Gambit control. This leaves much of the dirty work of battle up to the AI, allowing you to view overall strategy and select specific actions every now and then.

The Gambit and battle systems offer a refreshing experience for the jaded Japanese RPG gamer, but FFXII goes much further in its attempts at twisting all the old formulas. Enemies don't leave behind gold anymore! You can find gold in treasure chests here and there, but the real way to get cash is to collect treasures, sometimes in treasure chests, sometimes being carried by enemies, and sell them at shops. This system has worked well over the first few hours of the game, and it has the benefit of actually making sense as opposed to having all these monsters running around with bags of gold.

Page 2

Defeating enemies, at least ones that aren't carrying items, rewards you with experience and so-called license points (LP). Experience is used just as it is in any other RPG. Your character rises in level when crossing a certain experience threshold and gains added HP, MP and strength.

The LP is used for one of FFXII's coolest new gameplay systems: licenses. In FFXII, as with most other RPGs, you have to buy or find weapons, magic spells, skills and armor. Here, though, a character can only equip weapons and armor and use skills and spells if he's acquired the appropriate license.
Each character has a personal license board, which looks somewhat like an irregular chess board. Each square on the board corresponds to a single license for a particular set of skills or items. The board is split into six license regions: magic, skills, accessories, defense, options and weapons.

As an example, in the magic area, you'll find one square, titled "White Magic Lv. 1," which allows the character to use a level 1 cure spell. Another square, titled "Black Magic Lv. 3" lets the character use level 3 fire, blizzard and thunder spells. In the case of accessories, defense and weapon slots, opening up a given license allows the character to equip certain classes of equipment. You can make a character equip bows, daggers or heavy armor, but only once you've acquired the appropriate license, even if you have the equipment in your possession.

Two special skill types appear on the license board as you advance through the game: Summons and Mist Knack. Mist Knacks are character specific special moves, presumably like the limit breaks of previous FF games (I haven't gotten my hands on one yet). As for summons, each summon beasts can be assigned exclusively to a single character; once assigned, the summon cannot be acquired from the license board of another character. Both of these skills, once they've been acquired, are selectable via a special command on the battle menu.

Your character starts off with just a couple of slots opened up on the license board. Aside from these, the board reports to you the effect of opening up adjacent slots, but keeps the rest of the board a secret. You open up new slots using your hard-earned LP, adding new potential power to your characters. You're free to open up the slots adjacent to ones that have already been opened. As you move away from the initial slots, the corresponding skills become more powerful, but the LP costs rise.

Even if you get a license to use a piece of equipment or a spell, you can't actually use it until you've purchased the equipment or spell in town. In the case of weapons, each character has to have his own copy of the item; these are then equipped as in any standard RPG. For spells, you need only acquire the spell once, then everyone who acquires the license can use it.

This requirement that you have both a physical copy of an item and a license to use it offers a fresh approach to character development. It's possible that you'll get a powerful weapon early on, but you won't have a character capable of using it. Or, perhaps you'll get a license for a powerful spell, but the only thing keeping you from using it is actually finding a store that sells it.

Page 3

FFXII makes new strives in a number of areas outside of the new gameplay systems. Most apparent from the start is the game's attempt at creating a vast, detailed world that could substitute for the next Final Fantasy XI expansion (make it happen, Square Enix!). Vaan's home town, the first town in the game, is a lively place, with much to explore and many residents to converse with; not all residents will talk to you, but the willing display a conversation bubble icon. While full of color and flair on the outside, there's a dark side to this town too, as you learn when first venturing under ground into the "downtown" slums area.

Once you set foot in this town, it becomes clear that a lot of work went into the graphic design for FFXII. While not the most technically brilliant PS2 title around -- the game doesn't even offer 16:9 output -- Square Enix must have had its artists working throughout Golden Week for the past four years to produce all the striking sights and beast/character designs in just the first six hours. The town is full of different races, giving the feeling that the world of Ivalice is indeed a diverse one.
Head outside town, and the illusion of being in an offline FFXI becomes even more convincing, with distant views, expansive terrain, and lots of creatures. As mentioned in past updates, the enemies that populate the world are pretty smart. Some are tame and won't attack unless attacked first (this includes a particular nasty looking T-rex who's best left alone until Vaan gains experience). Others charge at you at first sight. Some beasts come to the aid of other members of their species if you should attack. Some beasts can even be seen fighting amongst themselves!

As with FFX, the entire world seems to be connected. I was able to manually move between different areas of the surroundings of Vaan's home town without returning to the hub area of the town first. Rental Chocobo is the preferred way to travel early on, if you're rich enough.

The only thing keeping this from being the ultimate in RPG exploration is the lengthy loading that splits up the zones of play. Load times have been improved somewhat over previous demo versions, but they're still a bit uncomfortable and take away from what would've otherwise been a completely seamless, immersive experience. The problem doesn't seem to be too significant over all, but speeding through the world of Ivalice on Chocobo sounds like it could've been fun.

Page 4

Not everything is 100% new, original and twisted, thankfully. The Final Fantasy series is known for captivating, far-reaching storylines, and FFXII doesn't disappoint. The game starts off at a high clip with a lengthy opening CG sequence that you'll probably find yourself watching over and over again months after you've bought the game. Once you take control of Vaan, things slow down momentarily, but pick right back up as Vaan finds himself involved in a deep plot involving warring nations and a budding rebellion. The storyline has had a few juvenile moments so far, particularly involving Vaan's relationship with one of the heroines, but there's so much depth to the background story, and the characters have so much personality, that it's hard to not get involved.

As expected, the game is full of gorgeous Square Enix brand CG, with lengthy segments appearing periodically following the opening moments. The CG seems to take visual influence from the more recent Star Wars films, especially during townscape and battle scenes.
After six hours of play time, FFXII seems to combine everything that makes the Final Fantasy games so good, including a deep storyline, likable characters and gorgeous CG, with some new gameplay systems that help to breathe life to a genre that's gotten stale thanks to a seemingly endless series of PS2 sequels. If more Japanese RPGs were like Final Fantasy XII, I might start liking the genre again.

crono_logical
03-20-2006, 06:05 PM
Sounds like good stuff, shame it'll be along time until I'll be able to play it :p

Dreddz
03-20-2006, 06:14 PM
Thats the preview btw.
Either who, cant wait....

amratis
03-20-2006, 09:12 PM
Thank smurfing God. I would be pissed if I had to dodge spoilers for 4 months until the game came out over here...

DMKA
03-20-2006, 09:48 PM
UK getting it the same time as the US? Hahahaha keep dreaming.

FallenAngel411
03-21-2006, 12:10 AM
Sounds like it'll be worth the wait after all. Yayness.

MecaKane
03-21-2006, 04:22 AM
Both sides of the atlantic means all of North America from the maratimes westward, and the island of Newfoundland which is a bit further into the atlantic ocean than the rest of North America.

Reine
03-21-2006, 05:23 AM
sounds somewhat interesting...

Im still not overly impressed though, every thing after IX has been a disapointment to me

DMKA
03-21-2006, 06:40 AM

Im still not overly impressed though, every thing after IX has been a disapointment to me
Gee, a whole two games.

boys from the dwarf
03-21-2006, 08:00 AM
couldn't have said it better myself DMKA. i hope that the release dates are the same so there arent a ton of spoilers on the forums or else i guess in the FF12 forums theyll have to put nearly everything in spoiler tags.

-N-
03-21-2006, 09:13 AM
This feels more and more like something to look forward to than to dread.
I like what I'm hearing so far - November will be here before we know it!

The Devourer Of Worlds
03-21-2006, 10:03 AM

Gee, a whole two games.
*four, if you include CC and FFXI, which I see no reason not to.

Mirage
03-21-2006, 10:10 AM
This game is likely to win. This person is likely to buy.

-N-
03-21-2006, 11:56 AM

Gee, a whole two games.
*zero, if you give a damn, which I see no reason to Couldn't resist.

Crossblades
03-21-2006, 02:46 PM
Thats the preview btw.
Either who, cant wait....

No it's a review

Dreddz
03-21-2006, 05:48 PM
Theres a P in front of that R. Also it says its a Playtest, and finally, it says NR ( NOT RATED ). Oh, but no no no, Im sure your right......

Vivisteiner
03-21-2006, 06:08 PM
There have been only 2 reviews.
Deeko gave it 95/100
Famitsu gave it 100/100 (40/40)
All the others were previews.

Necronopticous
03-21-2006, 06:45 PM
Dalutaniyasu, a Japanese Final Fantasy XI friend of mine gave it a 100/100, so make that 3 reviews.

DMKA
03-21-2006, 08:12 PM
Those aren't part of the main series, so they don't count. They aren't the same kind of game.

Besides, you forgot Tactics Advance. =p

-N-
03-21-2006, 09:44 PM
Dalutaniyasu, a Japanese Final Fantasy XI friend of mine gave it a 100/100, so make that 3 reviews.Well if he's Japanese then of course everything he says is legit! :p

The Devourer Of Worlds
03-22-2006, 12:32 PM
Those aren't part of the main series, so they don't count. They aren't the same kind of game.

Besides, you forgot Tactics Advance. =p
I would consider FFXI just as much, if not more a part of the main series than FFX-2.

And yes, I did forget FFTA :(

Russielloyd
03-22-2006, 02:55 PM
Final Fantasy XI is a good game.

Anyways, I can't wait for FFXII, looks awesome.

boys from the dwarf
04-19-2006, 09:45 AM
its mid november 2006 for europe but im not usre about america. it might be the same.

Dell
04-19-2006, 12:30 PM
I just buy it today. It's in japanese but it's okay.

Mirage
04-19-2006, 03:07 PM
Yeah, it's okay. You won't be able to understand more than 10% of the story, but that's okay.

Dell
04-19-2006, 04:07 PM
It's ok, I checked GameFAQ from time to time for the storyline help.

OMG, the battle system changed, you can avoid the enemies attack by just running from them and come back for the strike, it's more like Chrono Cross but I don't need a changing screen for battle!

Mirage, I sense something....weird in your post, are you insulting me....

Mirage
04-19-2006, 04:25 PM
Nothing wrong with your senses :p.

DMKA
04-19-2006, 10:59 PM
I would consider FFXI just as much, if not more a part of the main series than FFX-2.

And yes, I did forget FFTA :(
A real time MMORPG and a single player turn-based RPG aren't even remotely the same kind of game. At all.

Mirage
04-20-2006, 08:48 AM
No, it's not the same type of game, but that's irrelevant. It's still part of the main series.