PDA

View Full Version : Need help beating Materia Keeper

scarecrow
03-17-2006, 05:58 AM
I need some help beating the materia keeper at Mt Nibel. I am using Cloud, Barret and Red who are level 27, 27, and 25 respectively as they are currently my strongest party members.

Here is what I've been doing so far;

Materia I have equipped includes Cure All, Ice2, Bolt2, Life, Enemy Skill (in order to get the 'Trine' enemy skill) and all the current summons. Magic doesn't really seem to do much so I've been hitting him with physical attacks and blasting him with limits. Odin is really the only worthwhile summon to use as most of the other summons only do as much as damage physical attacks so I save my MP for Cures.
I find that the most difficult part is when he uses Trine later in the battle which affects all party members but unfortunately I cannot use Cure All anymore. At the beginning of the battle I go well, but once he starts to cure himself and I run out of MP it's all over :(

Any tips would be appreciated,
Thanks...

Fonzie
03-17-2006, 06:22 AM
Do you have Big Guard? You should've gotten it by now. If you have that the battle gets pretty easy. Tifas limit break does more damage then any of my other characters. Also, Aeris's healing wind helps alot.

Zeromus_X
03-17-2006, 06:27 AM
Do you have Elemental-Lighting on your armour? (Or is Trine non-elemental? I thought it was a Bolt spell, but I guess it could be a 3-way attack. Trine.)

Yeah, Big Guard helps tremendously. :cat: You get it by Manipulating the "Beach Plug" monster on the beach near Costa Del Soul. You could go and get it really quick unless it's too late or something. :cat: (Or you're too lazy, that's understandable :p)

scarecrow
03-17-2006, 06:49 AM
Nah I don't have big guard, I only just recently started to get enemy skills. Would it be worth going back to get it?? It wouldn't take me very long and I could level up more in the process.

I am pretty sure trine is non-elemental, I'll try giving it shot with Aeris and see how her healing wind goes.

Thanks guys.

Zeromus_X
03-17-2006, 06:53 AM
If if wouldn't take too long to do, and you have no problem, then by all means, go for it. (Unless you already killed the thing by the time I posted this...) You can use the Buggy to got back to Costa right? (Through the river?) It's been awhile, but I'm sure you can still go back there. :cat:

Randgris
03-17-2006, 07:58 AM
Meteor Rain, Doom of the Living and Great Gospel, nuff said

yuno
03-17-2006, 08:01 AM
trine is non-elem?i always thought it's bolt-elem.i thought it is part of the elem-spell triad with beta and aqualung.

Zeromus_X
03-17-2006, 08:08 AM
Meteor Rain, Doom of the Living and Great Gospel, nuff said

Yeah, because people who normally play through the game have all of those already :cat:

trine is non-elem?i always thought it's bolt-elem.i thought it is part of the elem-spell triad with beta and aqualung.

That's what I thought too, but I'm not 100% sure. :choc2: (Because Beta is fire, and Aqualung is water, I always thought Trine was Bolt.)

Well scarecrow, try Elemental Lighting on your armour and see if it works :cat:

Twilight Edge
03-17-2006, 08:36 AM
Trine is definitely bolt-elem.

Well, I have nothing much to say but,use cahracters that has the strongest weapons,healing materia(must),hp plus(if any),and,what the hell,beat the crap out of him.

scarecrow
03-17-2006, 08:38 AM
Thanks I'll try adding the elemental - lightning my armour. Problem is, I've only got one elemental materia, that means it'll only protect one of my characters right?

I'm back at costa now, however, I'm having trouble getting the big guard? How is it obtained?

Zeromus_X
03-17-2006, 08:41 AM
Go to the beach. Make sure someone has the "Manipulate" materia on, and another with "Enemy Skill" (You probably figured that much:p)

Run into a battle. Make sure you encounter a monster called "Beach Plug" (Looks like a turtle, I recall.) Manipulate it, and use "Big Guard" on your party. Yay! You got Big Guard. :cat:

And yeah, I guess one person will be immune to lighting. Probably put it on Aerith, since she's a healer and all. But that's just what I'd do. :choc2:

Edit: Manipulate comes with Kitten Sith when he joins the party, so you should have it by now. :cat:

d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x
03-17-2006, 02:09 PM
set aside a healer (ur weakest atker) and jus hav him heal from the back row individually, i.e. not alled. then wen he uses trine u can use cure all. save any limits u get until he starts to cure himself. use d.blow and magic until he does

edczxcvbnm
03-17-2006, 02:39 PM
Have you tried putting people in the back row? It reduces physical damage by half making it easier to heal up...your physical attacks will do half the damage but that just prolongs the battle.

Clouds limit break Cross Slash can stun the boss...giving you more time to do stuffs.

Do you believe in the power of Chocomog? It has the same stunning ability that cross slash does but it doesn't work as often.

That is my advice for most all bosses.

Crossblades
03-17-2006, 02:43 PM
Use some Hypers of your characters so they could use limit breaks faster

DarkLord
03-17-2006, 03:31 PM
Two tips.
Do loadsa damage and don't die. Seriously though, have someone keeping the party alive while the others attack.

gyaku_zuki
03-17-2006, 04:13 PM
Big Guard is an UBER enemy skill, and at your level, with it on your side u should be fine.

Note it eats approx. 60 MP to use, so u might wanna stock up on some ethers...

Dunno whether u have it, but i think seal evil might work on him (aeris limit break).

Brian The Pink Shark
03-17-2006, 04:46 PM
Your running low on MP, then you should use ethers or turbo ethers :choc:

mooglebunni608
03-17-2006, 04:56 PM
I got Yuffie before that, and she is much, much better than barret. Also have someone with cure 2 materia
Also, Shiva helped me out tons with this.
If you still haven't beat him, go out and just level up for a bit, maybe get cloud to lvl30. Thats what i did.

Brian The Pink Shark
03-17-2006, 10:15 PM
Mt nibel is a great area for levelling up, i levelled up to level 50 quite quickly here :choc:

scarecrow
03-18-2006, 02:42 AM
Thanks for the help guys, I'm sure with all your input I won't have any more trouble now... I'll get the big guard, equip aeris with lightning - elemental and put her in the back row... oh and I'll stock up on ethers for the cures ;)

Ste "The Man" Sephiroth
03-18-2006, 03:41 AM
I was stuck on him aswell for a while, I just leveled up to Lvl 36 and I was able to beat the crap outta him.

scarecrow
03-18-2006, 06:34 AM
Thanks everyone, managed to beat him fine once I got up to level 30 and used big guard ;) I also got barrets level 3 limit break on the way back from costa so that helped alot as well.

Dell
03-18-2006, 07:51 AM
I never used Enemy Skill to beat him. Except, I did put for Trine, but I never used it.

just summon Choco/mog to give him stop, then pummel him with your best, If he happen to move again or you choco/mog missout the stop on him, thenjust keep summon until he stop. The materia keeper, that I fight move again after his HP drop below 400^-^. I also use Stadust Ray to win.

Concept might be the same for Lost Number, to make the battle easy, Bio him so that's he poison.

Omnislash07
03-18-2006, 08:56 PM
uh.. yeah that dude is easy. One tip nobody else said though was that you can steal Gold Bangles from the Dragons that are in the same area as the materia keeper and those are way better than the armor you would currently have. Also a great place to level up is in the sand under the Golden Saucer when you first get the buggy. If you drive around you will fight some big thing that casts aqualung for like 1000 damage to all party members if you are hypered but if you can survive it everyone should have their limit which makes it easy to quickly get new limit breaks. I usually get everyones first level 3 before i move on.