PDA

View Full Version : Follow me! I know the way!

SteelDisciple
03-17-2006, 07:11 PM
I was just wondering...how popular are mods in this game? I know in WoW one of my all time favorite features is a program called Cosmos..which works not only as a tool to fully customize menus (including adding new Hot bars for one-click combat! My favorite) Btw..doesn't this game have hotbars anyway? Seems rather tedious to keep going through menus just to use an ability. :P

Also..the greatest feature of Cosmos is the fact it works as an internal GPS...you go on a site like Thottbot.com and read about any quest or item...people post and give exact coordinates which cosmos shows on the map for quest givers, items, etc..

Just wondering if there are things like that?

Bomber
03-17-2006, 07:23 PM
I'm not sure if I have the right answer, but I'll take a stab at it...

FF11 employs the use of macros. In your main menu, there's an option called "Macros", which allows to you to pre-define a set of tasks, and use them with a single key combination (Ctrl-# or Alt-#). FF11 has it's own "programming language" as it were. For an elementary introduction, check out this site. (http://www.finalfantasyxionline.com/content/guides-macros.php)

As for information on quests, there are many sites out there that have information. Here's one site (http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/) that I know is quite popular.

Hope this answers your question...

DJZen
03-17-2006, 08:06 PM
As far as "in game GPS" goes, your map already does that. If you type <pos> the game will display your map coordinates.

However, as far as mods go, there aren't really tons. There's model viewer, but that doesn't really affect the game at all. Then of course there's the windower. The windower is considered by SE to be cheating, so don't talk about it in-game, but there are perfectly legitimate uses for it (in my case, I literally cannot play without it. I have a scheduled task running that causes a window to pop up every 7 minutes, which will crash FFXI since it needs to be in full screen mode.) It's far from perfect, and it makes the game almost impossible to play if you resize the window at all, but it can be very helpful. Other than that, I can't think of any. As Bomber said, you can macro just about any action in the game, including battle commands, dialogue, interaction with npcs and inanimate objects... Think of it like the command console for Windows.

Yeargdribble
03-17-2006, 09:20 PM
There are actually quite a few such things for FFXI. Certain things might be considered cheating for some but it's a very blurry line. Windower is nice allowing you to be able to do other things with FFXI running which is awesome. The best part about windower are the various plugins.

TParty- This allows you to see the TP of everyone in your PT and even alliance. It also shows MPs of everyone in your alliance and lets you see percentage of health on targeted mobs.

Distance- This lets you see how far you are from a mob. Great for pulling as you can get the maximum distance between you and mobs easily at 24.x and for RNGs they can get in the 'sweet spot' very easily for each of their different range weapons.

ExpWatch- Lets you see your XP current/total... TNL.... XP/hr... Estimated time to level... Mobs to next level... time since last kill (helps with chains)

BloodPace- Lets you see your Blood Pact timers which is great for SMN

DrawDistance- Let's you change the draw distance rate of the game which can dramatically improve how the game looks if you've got an awesome machine to run it.

There are other little programs out there too like FFAssist that allow TONS of things like on screen recipe guides and moving minimaps and more thing than I care to list. Peope are just sensitive about these programs... especially FFAssist because of what they feel like is an unfair advantage.