PDA

View Full Version : Are people…

The Devourer Of Worlds
03-18-2006, 03:32 AM
Are people still offended by Dead Baby/Child Rape jokes, or is their shock value pretty much null and void now days? I seriously don’t think I’ve heard anyone react to one particularly badly (or at least any worse than saying ‘that’s SO wrong’).

Thoughts?

Zeromus_X
03-18-2006, 03:39 AM
Not really. Then again, I am surrounded by idiotic friends who repeat them again and again. :cat: (No offence to you of course.)

I guess they aren't as shocking now since they've been asked so many times.

Leeza
03-18-2006, 03:45 AM
I am offended by dead baby jokes. They are jokes of extremely poor taste and I think it reflects on the character of the person who tells them and thinks that they are hilarious. No offense to anyone here, of course.

EDIT: This is not a <i>Post Your Dead Baby Joke</i> thread. It is asking if you are offended by them. I will be deleting the jokes.

kikimm
03-18-2006, 03:46 AM
I don't mind them, because I don't like babies. =D Of course, that doesn't mean I ENJOY reading about them being blended up and stuff like that, but I'm not offended. Although I don't find them all that funny either. =/

Shine On...
03-18-2006, 03:46 AM
I don't think anyone is really badly offended by them, (I am in no way offended) but they still seem to be disgusting, (yet somehow funny at the same time). I think there are so many things worse nowadays that the shock value (as you said) is completely null.

faster skating penguin
03-18-2006, 03:52 AM
What's better than swinging a baby on a cloth line?

HANGING CLOTHS ON A CLOTHLINE OF COURSE

No one's offended by anything now. 9/11 jokes JUST became acceptable shock value pretty much. Not really funny anymore, though.

The Devourer Of Worlds
03-18-2006, 04:14 AM
I am offended by dead baby jokes. They are jokes of extremely poor taste and I think it reflects on the character of the person who tells them and thinks that they are hilarious. No offense to anyone here, of course.

Of course :eep:

nik0tine
03-18-2006, 04:21 AM
Dead baby jokes are incredibly distasteful and they aren't funny. They bother me a little, but I won't say they are all that offensive. I'm not offended very easily, though. You'd have to be a politician to offend me, I think.

Ouch!
03-18-2006, 04:22 AM
I'm not particularly offended by any of them. My favorite baby joke isn't a dead baby joke, anyway. As far as child rape jokes go, well, I'll consider myself fortunate to have not heard them.

Vincent Valentine
03-18-2006, 04:25 AM
Are people still offended by Dead Baby/Child Rape jokes, or is their shock value pretty much null and void now days? I seriously don’t think I’ve heard anyone react to one particularly badly (or at least any worse than saying ‘that’s SO wrong’).
If you told me a joke like that (Online or IRL), I would probably never walk away instantly and never speak to you again.

Jokes in bad taste are rarely funny, unless you possess a fairly warped mind. I don't believe the list of things that shouldn't be joked about ends at just the two things you mentioned either. I find jokes about poverty horrible. Or those that literally mock or insult something for their punchline. I also find jokes concerning any form of rape to be, quite frankly, extremely disturbing, especially when a person laughs about such things.

Some things you simply don't joke about.

Moon Rabbits
03-18-2006, 04:43 AM

Thoughts?

I'm very, very, very offended by them. I'd probably not talk to the person again as the above poster said. They aren't funny, anything to do with the loss of a life isn't very humorous at all (ala Darwin Awards etc...I don't care how foolish a person is, they're still a living being).

The same goes for child rape jokes...wtf is funny about that??

I also hate it when people go "I'm not racist but wanna hear a joke..." and proceed to tell me a racist joke, then I flip on them and stalk off red in the face from yelling so much/loud.

Luther X-Rated
03-18-2006, 05:09 AM
Yes, and I base this on absolutely no fact at all.

Ouch!
03-18-2006, 05:13 AM
Some things you simply don't joke about.[/color]
You mean everything that George Carlin will joke about?

Vincent Valentine
03-18-2006, 05:15 AM
You mean everything that George Carlin will joke about?
No, because George Carlin knows where the draw the line between humour and out and out disturbing. He also knows the difference between smart and stupid.

He's smart.
And you're stupid.

:D

I'm actually a fan of George Carlin... :tongue:

Ouch!
03-18-2006, 05:18 AM
No, because George Carlin knows where the draw the line between humour and out and out disturbing.

I'm actually a fan of Georg Carlin... :tongue:
I suppose you missed his rape jokes, then.

Agent Proto
03-18-2006, 05:25 AM
As long as the jokes are in good taste, I am fine with them. However, that doesn't mean dead baby jokes are in good taste, because it isn't. Never was in the first place. Would I be offended? Of course not. You can't offend me. :)

The Devourer Of Worlds
03-18-2006, 05:38 AM
I'm very, very, very offended by them. I'd probably not talk to the person again as the above poster said. They aren't funny, anything to do with the loss of a life isn't very humorous at all (ala Darwin Awards etc...I don't care how foolish a person is, they're still a living being).

The same goes for child rape jokes...wtf is funny about that??

An average person won’t laugh at a ‘dead baby joke/child rape joke’ because they think that the concept is amusing; they will laugh because the joke is in such obvious bad taste that it’s hilarious.

Dreddz
03-18-2006, 11:08 AM
Very.... Very Funny.

Alive-Cat
03-18-2006, 12:08 PM
I don't care about any of these kinds of jokes. I'll laugh if the humour is good, but it rarely is, as these kind of jokes are usually just for shock value. And I think that's boring.

Chris
03-18-2006, 12:29 PM

Thoughts?
In any case, I think those kind of jokes are highly inappropriate. ^^

Rye
03-18-2006, 01:22 PM
The jokes aren't really supposed to be funny as much as shock you at the punchline. Baby jokes don't really bother me much, though they're not good, but child rape ones do very much.

McLovin'
03-18-2006, 01:25 PM
Babies are annoying.

Child Rape is 'ewwwy.'

SammieBabe
03-18-2006, 06:35 PM
I think jokes like that are in VERY bad taste. I am offended by both.

Zante
03-18-2006, 06:47 PM
A joke is a joke. I might not find it funny, but I sure wouldnt get offended.

Casey
03-19-2006, 11:28 AM
I dont understand how dead baby jokes are funny. :greenie:

Meat Puppet
03-19-2006, 12:37 PM
Apparently AIDS jokes are o.k. now.

faster skating penguin
03-19-2006, 12:39 PM
AIDS jokes have been okay for years.

Dignified Pauper
03-19-2006, 12:43 PM
I think it all depends on preference. I find that I laugh at jokes at the expense of babies, but i don't like babies, they eat, poop, and sleep and are usually fat. Little kids are cool though. Further, the jokes about dead babies are rather unrealistic, which I think is their appeal.

As far as child rape, other than jokes about Michael Jackson, I've never heard any. I think those are much more distasteful.

Madame Adequate
03-19-2006, 01:58 PM

There is nothing that is not a valid target for making jokes about. Aside from anything else many, many Humans get comfort from humor, and further often can best deal with things by joking about them. No matter how unsavory those things might be.

I've not heard any child rape jokes, but I think dead baby jokes are pretty funny.

Social Moon Firesky
03-19-2006, 04:18 PM
They are jokes of extremely poor taste and I think it reflects on the character of the person who tells them and thinks that they are hilarious.

Croyles
03-19-2006, 11:32 PM
I cant be offended by them, they just bounce off me. I dont think a joke (in good humour) can reflect anyones personality, apart from that they have a bit of bottle in that sense, but thinking that they are the scum of the earth is in my eyes very shallow. That being said, I wouldnt ever tell a dead-baby joke to anyone who is likely to get offended by it.